Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening

On 5/22/2010 7:00 PM, Rupert wrote:

>>> Different food to be grown which requires less land use in order to
>>> produce.

>> Different food to be grown and given away to unproductive people, period.

> Actually,

Actually, the "inefficiency" argument is shit.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening

On May 23, 12:36*pm, "Fred C. Dobbs" >
wrote:
> On 5/22/2010 7:00 PM, Rupert wrote:
>
> > On May 23, 2:52 am, "Fred C. >
> > wrote:

> >> Different food to be grown and given away to unproductive people, period.

> > Actually,

> Actually, the "inefficiency" argument is shit.

What exactly *is* the "inefficiency" argument, in your view?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening

On May 19, 6:25*am, "Fred C. Dobbs" >
wrote:
> On 5/17/2010 1:51 PM, Rupert wrote:
>
> > On May 17, 6:50 am, "Fred C. >
> > wrote:

> >> They are typical.

> >> That's not obvious at all, liar.

> > It takes a smaller amount of land to feed the human population on a
> > plant-based diet than on an animal-based diet.

> As Dutch said: *So what? *The issue is not "minimizing" environmental
> degradation - it's optimizing it, i.e., ensuring that the benefit from
> using some resource in a manner that causes environmental degradation is
> of greater value than the cost of the degradation. *Because the crops
> grown as animal feed are heavily subsidized, that optimization almost
> certainly doesn't happen - that is, the total cost of the goods
> produced, including environmental degradation, is higher than the price
> paid by people who consume the meat. *But that may well be true for
> certain human-consumed vegetable crops, too, yet you don't hear stupid
> "vegans" shrieking about it.

They are correctly pointing out that changing to a vegan diet from a
typical Western diet reduces the associated environmental cost. There
is no particular reason why they have to turn their attention to every
environmental issue in the world.

> You will not succeed in persuading anyone that this "efficiency"
> argument is about the environment. *

It is obvious to any person of good sense that that is what it is
about.

> What it is, is a desperate grasping
> about for something else to try to buttress the sagging, nonsensical
> anti-meat position.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening

On May 19, 6:07*am, "Fred C. Dobbs" >
wrote:
> On 5/18/2010 12:46 PM, Rupert wrote:
>

> > On May 19, 12:40 am, "Fred C. >
> > wrote:

> >> It certainly does.

> > Do you have some data to back that up?

> Shove it, rupie - you know there is non-arable land used for grazing.

We're talking about the proposition "It takes a smaller amount of land
to feed the human population on a plant-based diet than on an animal-
based diet", nincompoop. You have done nothing to cast doubt on that,
because you can't.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert" > wrote
We're talking about the proposition "It takes a smaller amount of land
to feed the human population on a plant-based diet than on an animal-
based diet", nincompoop. You have done nothing to cast doubt on that,
because you can't.
---------->

The proposition is misleading, all forms of land use are not equal. Grazing
can be done with no harm to the environment at all, in fact it is a benefit,
while the cultivation of grain, for example, is very hard on the
environment, so the amount of land is not the only issue.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening

On 5/23/2010 11:50 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On May 23, 12:36 pm, "Fred C. >
> wrote:
>> On 5/22/2010 7:00 PM, Rupert wrote:

>>> Actually,

>> Actually, the "inefficiency" argument is shit.

> What exactly *is* the "inefficiency" argument

The one made by virtually every "vegan" ****-for-brain who discusses it:
that calories are "lost" by growing grain and feeding it to livestock
rather than growing the same grain to feed to humans. That is the one
they all make.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening

On 5/23/2010 11:53 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On May 19, 6:25 am, "Fred C. >
> wrote:
>> On 5/17/2010 1:51 PM, Rupert wrote:

>>> It takes a smaller amount of land to feed the human population on a
>>> plant-based diet than on an animal-based diet.

>> As Dutch said: So what? The issue is not "minimizing" environmental
>> degradation - it's optimizing it, i.e., ensuring that the benefit from
>> using some resource in a manner that causes environmental degradation is
>> of greater value than the cost of the degradation. Because the crops
>> grown as animal feed are heavily subsidized, that optimization almost
>> certainly doesn't happen - that is, the total cost of the goods
>> produced, including environmental degradation, is higher than the price
>> paid by people who consume the meat. But that may well be true for
>> certain human-consumed vegetable crops, too, yet you don't hear stupid
>> "vegans" shrieking about it.
>>

> They are correctly pointing out that changing to a vegan diet from a
> typical Western diet reduces the associated environmental cost.

That's not what they're "pointing out". What they think they're
"pointing out" is that calories are lost when feeding grain to
livestock; they think the grain - the *same* grain, in their ****witted
ignorance - should be consumed by humans.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening

We're not, ****wit.