FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   The Medical Industrial Complex (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/395489-re-medical-industrial-complex.html)

Salmon Egg 07-04-2010 04:10 PM

The Medical Industrial Complex

In article >,
Frank > wrote:

> Tell those with health problems being managed that they are better off
> dead. I know of very few that would agree with you.

I sometimes think I would be better off dead.

I no longer drive.
I no longer can read books.
I no longer fish.
I have little sex.
My other bodily function are degrading.
My thinking has slowed down.
Serious computer programing seems out of the question.
When I do get my wits together I have to work on income tax and the like.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.

dlzc 07-04-2010 04:49 PM

The Medical Industrial Complex

Dear Salmon Egg:

On Apr 7, 8:10*am, Salmon Egg > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Frank > wrote:
> > Tell those with health problems being managed that
> > they are better off dead. *I know of very few that
> > would agree with you.

> I sometimes think I would be better off dead.

Probably not, or you'd already be there.

> I no longer drive.
> I no longer can read books.
> I no longer fish.
> I have little sex.

*That* is the shits. But did you ever much define yourself by the
amount of sex you were capable of?

> My other bodily function are degrading.

I miss having knees that didn't hurt...

> My thinking has slowed down.
> Serious computer programing seems out of the question.

Then try non-serious programming. Have you picked up a new language?

> When I do get my wits together I have to work on
> income tax and the like.

As we get older, it takes new terrain to make life "re-markable".
When we run the same rut, the brain feels like it can stay in
automatic. Have you tried "Toastmasters", or any complete change of
venue? I understand that you may depend on others for transport...

You *can* still find enjoyment.

David A. Smith

Frank[_6_] 07-04-2010 05:33 PM

On Apr 7, 11:10*am, Salmon Egg > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Frank > wrote:
> > Tell those with health problems being managed that they are better off
> > dead. *I know of very few that would agree with you.

> I sometimes think I would be better off dead.
>
> I no longer drive.
> I no longer can read books.
> I no longer fish.
> I have little sex.
> My other bodily function are degrading.
> My thinking has slowed down.
> Serious computer programing seems out of the question.
> When I do get my wits together I have to work on income tax and the like.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> An old man would be better off never having been born.

I'm old too but I can still do all these things.
When I almost bought the farm 10 years ago and was saved by modern
surgery the only good thing was that I cashed in on all the medical
insurance I had paid for over the years.

Salmon Egg 07-04-2010 07:52 PM

The Medical Industrial Complex

In article
Frank > wrote:

> I'm old too but I can still do all these things.
> When I almost bought the farm 10 years ago and was saved by modern
> surgery the only good thing was that I cashed in on all the medical
> insurance I had paid for over the years.

On more than one situation, I have had my close calls with death. I came
within a few seconds of my cold hands losing grip on some rock and my
sliding down an ice stream for over 1000 feet into a partially frozen
lake. That taught me that I was not petrified at the thought of death. I
would be more scared of a combat situation where there is a significant
probability of a painful lingering death.

I remember the quote:

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course
others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
Patrick Henry

There is a point at which I do not wish to be enslaved by infirmities.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.