val189

Default Vegenaise homemade copycat?

hello-
can anyone help someone who is on a tight bidget but adores Vegenaise?
Has anyone made a successful version at home?
thanks so much,
valerie
John Manning

This is one of the vegan mayo recipes from Ron Pickarski's "Friendly
Foods".

http://vegweb.com/food/misc/1271.shtml

--
-John
http://electronworks.com/recipes/

On 30 Sep 2004 08:43:12 -0700, (val189) wrote:

> hello-
> can anyone help someone who is on a tight bidget but adores Vegenaise?
> Has anyone made a successful version at home?

No, but I have yet to have any of Bryanna's recipes fail.

> thanks so much,
> valerie

New Delicious Low-Fat Veggiennaise (Vegan Mayonnaise)
Bryanna Clark Grogan on Vegsource.com
Makes 2 generous cups

Updated version, Oct 1, 2003. For those who are allergic to soy, do not like
tofu mayonnaise, or the commercial "light" mayos (most are not vegan, anyway),
here is a delicious (and inexpensive) solution! It contains a small amount of
oil, just enough for good flavor, and has only about 10 calories per T.
(compared to 100 calories for regular mayo!). It has a pale yellow tinge that
gives it the look of a homemade egg yolk mayo, plus a slightly "eggy" taste, as
well. It's smooth and creamy, and a little tangy, but not too much.

5 fluid ounces cold water
1/4 c. corn flour, *see note
2 T. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. agar powder or 1 T. agar flakes
1 c. non-dairy milk (can be low-fat)
1 1/2 T. apple cider, plain rice vinegar, or white wine vinegar, or lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil (preferably, but you can substitute other oil, such
as grapeseed, if you like) €“ I think this gives the best flavor.

In a small saucepan or microwave-proof bowl, mix together the water, corn flour,
cornstarch and agar, and whisk well. Let soak for a few minutes. If making in
the pot on the stovetop, stir constantly over high heat until very thick; OR:
Microwave option: Use the microwave-proof bowl for the mixture, and microwave on
HI 30 seconds. Whisk. Repeat 2 times, or until very thick.

Place the corn mixture and all other ingredients except the oil in a blender or
food processor. Blend well, then add the oil slowly through the top while the
machine is running. Blend until the mixture is very smooth (no graininess at
all€”you may have to stop it once or twice and crape the insides of the container
walls and stir it a bit) and you can't see any oil globules, which may take at
least 2 minutes.

This mayo doesn't get thick as you blend it, like regular mayonnaise or soy
mayonnaise made with lots of oil, so don't blend it and blend it, thinking it
will thicken as it blends€”it won't!! It will thicken after a few hours in the
refrigerator.) Pour into a clean pint jar, cover and refrigerate.

Keeps several weeks.

Note: Corn flour is very finely-milled yellow cornmeal€”NOT cornstarch
["cornflour" is what the British call "cornstarch"]€”I get it in the Indian
section of a supermarket

from
http://www.vegsource.com/talk/beginn...es/139751.html

Jessi Gurr

Spicy Mayonnaise:

1 lb. drained tofu
1 lemon, squeezed
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander (cilantro)
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3 tsp. mustard
2 tsp. tarragon

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and blend until
creamy.

Tofu Mayonnaise (with oil)

1 lb. drained tofu
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. mustard
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
1/4 cup oil (olive or canola)

Blend all ingredients but the oil in a food processor until smooth. Without
turning off the processor, slowly pour the oil into the mixture. Turn off
the processor as soon as the oil is thoroughly mixed in.

Play with the amounts of garlic, mustard, and cider until they taste up to
your standards!

jessi

PATRICK D'ACRE

Aloha,

We, from the Blossoming Lotus Restaurant, in Hawaii, are presenting our
award winning lifestyle book, Vegan World Fusion Cuisine, combining ancient
wisdom with modern healthy eating recipes, in our college campaign. This
program is starting on your campus, in the next 2 weeks, and we'd like to
know how we can arrange for your bookstore to carry our book.

Please visit this site, and let us know how you handle new book
acquisitions:

http://www.veganfusion.com

Thank you from paradise,

Patrick Michaels

Recipes for a Peaceful Planet
"John Manning" > wrote in message
news:021020041439096358%jgmanning@mindsEXCESSpring .com...

> This is one of the vegan mayo recipes from Ron Pickarski's "Friendly
> Foods".
>
> http://vegweb.com/food/misc/1271.shtml
>
> --
> -John