cde

Default Getting a Complete protein?

RB wrote:

<<Yes, but how do you *really* do this? Coming from a meat/dairy
inclusive diet, it seems quite difficult to switch to a vegan mode and
"get everything you need" in a day.>>

When I went vegetarian, it was a relief to dump all flesh food,
but at first I overdid it with cheese. It took me a decade to
drop cheese and other dairy foods, which I still miss, sometimes.

Eliminating flesh was easy, because it always made me a little
sick to think about where it came from and I didn't like the
taste, either.

Cutting back on whole grains was not as easy, but I did it gradually
for various reasons, mainly because I wanted more vitamins, minerals,
protective phytochemicals, and soluble fibers in my diet and
I had read a number of studies showing greater protection from
fruit/vegetable based-diets than from grain-based diets. I do not
think it is necessary to eliminate grains completely, but I do think
that the food pyramid should have fruits and vegetables at the
base (most calories) and grains (less calories) above it.

Cutting back on cooked vegetables was probably the most difficult
thing for me.

It's not hard to meet all your needs (except for B12, D, and
possibly long-chain omega3s) with a vegan diet, but it takes some
knowledge. It's easier when you include *some* legumes, but if you
want to be all raw, there aren't many raw legumes you can eat freely,
if any.

It's harder when your vegan diet is heavily grain-based because
grains tend not to be as nutrient-rich as fruits, vegetables, and
legumes on a per calorie basis and their phytic acid content
may hinder absorption of some minerals.

Some raw food plan comparisons are he
http://members.atlantic.net/~dec/raw.html

A vegan grain-based vs fruit/vegetable (cooked) comparison is he
http://members.atlantic.net/~dec/diet.html

An omnivorous Cretan Mediterranean vs mostly raw + 60 g fish is he
http://members.atlantic.net/~dec/med.html

Here are some pictures that might help you decide which fruits and vegetables
to incorporate from day to day:
http://members.atlantic.net/~dec/nutrient_profiles.html

And here is a nutrient density ranking for common fruits and vegetables. It
does not consider phytochemicals or antinutrients.
http://members.atlantic.net/~dec/nutrient_density.html

My typical day is usually 2 large (8 cup) green-based salads
per day and 2 small (4 cup) fruit salads per day with some
cooked legumes, raw mung bean sprouts, walnuts, ground flax,
one brazil nut, and very modest quantities of extra virgin
olive oil. Sometimes I have some lightly steamed vegetables,
or cooked sprouted grains, or light beer or red wine, or
even the occasional junk food like popcorn or potato chips.

I have usually 3 kg (about 6.6 lbs) of fruits, vegetables,
and legumes per day including 60-70 g protein and meet or
exceed men's daily values for everything except B12 and D
with low kcals (1400-1500) and very high fiber (60-80 g/day).
John Coleman

"cde" > wrote in message
8<
> I have usually 3 kg (about 6.6 lbs) of fruits, vegetables,
> and legumes per day including 60-70 g protein and meet or
> exceed men's daily values for everything except B12 and D
> with low kcals (1400-1500) and very high fiber (60-80 g/day).

That's a very good diet cde, have you had your cholesterol tested lately - I
found a couple of years after I sorted my unhealthy vegan diet out and went
high raw (a very similar program to you) I dropped from around 160 to 90.
Cooking oils and processed fats are bad news.

John

acard

John Coleman wrote:

> That's a very good diet cde, have you had your cholesterol tested lately - I
> found a couple of years after I sorted my unhealthy vegan diet out and went
> high raw (a very similar program to you) I dropped from around 160 to 90.

Over a decade ago, mine dropped from 150 (fish-eating SAD)
to 120 after a few months of near-vegan vegetarianism.
I haven't had it checked lately, though. I would imagine
it's in the low 100s now.

> Cooking oils and processed fats are bad news.

I agree.

$3.00 meal for 3 people that has complete protein Manda Ruby General Cooking 54 06-11-2009 12:36 AM
Protein source for breakfast other than eggs, meat, or protein powder amandaF General Cooking 177 09-03-2009 07:33 PM
Plant Protein vs Animal Protein [email protected] Vegan 2 09-01-2005 05:32 AM
Getting a Complete protein? RB Vegan 37 06-10-2004 11:18 PM
"complete" protein myth circulates again John Coleman Vegan 8 03-09-2004 07:54 AM