Steve

Default Oil

Hi;

If you read about fats you know that fats can be really good for you or
really bad for you. The worst fats are tranfats(
http://www.umm.edu/features/transfats.html) and saturated fats.

The really good fats are from olive and canola oil. They have been
shown to help prevent cardiovascular disease( if used to the exclusion
of other cooking oils ). Canola oil used to be recommend for vegans and
vegetarians until almost all canola seeds became GMO.

Even in our area with the good stores we have it is next to impossible
to find organic ( non GMO ), mechanically pressed ( no use of chemical
solvents ), and unrefined cooking oils.

All of these things make life convenient for producers and retailers,
but make the oil less than healthful.

Well, google provides. I found a company that sells organic, unrefined,
and mechanically pressed canola, as well as other oils over the internet:

http://www.sunorganicfarm.com/Mercha...egory_Code=OIL

Just thought I would share.

Steve
--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

That One Guy

I beileive Flax Seed Oil or "Flax oil" is a good source of Omega needs.
- Matt
That One Guy

I beileive Flax Seed Oil or "Flax oil" is a good source of Omega needs.
- Matt
Jessi Gurr

Greetings-

The transfat discussion is an interesting one... The RDA for transfats is
"ZERO." Basically any foods that contain "Hydrogenated Soybean Oil" (i.e.
margerine, bisquick, cake mixes, canned soups, anything fried or fast food,
triscuits, potato chips, wheat thins, cereals, etc.) have massive amounts of
transfats in them. Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains don't, and as long
as you prepare your foods with canola oil or olive oil, you should be able
to avoid transfats.

Here's some more information:

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/70/81100.htm
http://www.ific.org/publications/qa/transqa.cfm

Steve- I do have a question for you. Have you found any good "substitutes"
for margerine in cooking/baking? I may experimenting with applesauce,
pears, or prunes and see how some recipes turn out. I hope the US Food
Industry will undergo some changes once transfats are required to be listed
on all packaged goods. Unfortunately, this new labeling doesn't take effect
until 1 Jan, 2006 (http://www.bantransfats.com/labeling.htm).

jessi

-------------

"Steve" wrote:

> If you read about fats you know that fats can be really good for you or
> really bad for you. The worst fats are tranfats
> (http://www.umm.edu/features/transfats.html) and saturated fats.
>
> The really good fats are from olive and canola oil....

John Coleman

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Hi;
>
> If you read about fats you know that fats can be really good for you or
> really bad for you. The worst fats are tranfats(
> http://www.umm.edu/features/transfats.html) and saturated fats.
>
> The really good fats are from olive and canola oil. They have been
> shown to help prevent cardiovascular disease( if used to the exclusion
> of other cooking oils ). Canola oil used to be recommend for vegans and
> vegetarians until almost all canola seeds became GMO.

Lowering total fat intake and maintaining adequate B vitamin intake is the
best deal for lowering CVD risk.

> Just thought I would share.

Thanks, the only oils I have ever liked are cold pressed hemp and also
pumpkin seed.

John

John Coleman

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Hi;
>
> If you read about fats you know that fats can be really good for you or
> really bad for you. The worst fats are tranfats(
> http://www.umm.edu/features/transfats.html) and saturated fats.
>
> The really good fats are from olive and canola oil. They have been
> shown to help prevent cardiovascular disease( if used to the exclusion
> of other cooking oils ). Canola oil used to be recommend for vegans and
> vegetarians until almost all canola seeds became GMO.

Lowering total fat intake and maintaining adequate B vitamin intake is the
best deal for lowering CVD risk.

> Just thought I would share.

Thanks, the only oils I have ever liked are cold pressed hemp and also
pumpkin seed.

John

John Coleman

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Hi;
>
> If you read about fats you know that fats can be really good for you or
> really bad for you. The worst fats are tranfats(
> http://www.umm.edu/features/transfats.html) and saturated fats.
>
> The really good fats are from olive and canola oil. They have been
> shown to help prevent cardiovascular disease( if used to the exclusion
> of other cooking oils ). Canola oil used to be recommend for vegans and
> vegetarians until almost all canola seeds became GMO.

Lowering total fat intake and maintaining adequate B vitamin intake is the
best deal for lowering CVD risk.

> Just thought I would share.

Thanks, the only oils I have ever liked are cold pressed hemp and also
pumpkin seed.

John

Steve

Jessi Gurr wrote:
> Steve- I do have a question for yo

I am not a baker. I do know there is a brand of margarine in the US
called "Earth Balance" that does not use tranfats.

Good Luck........make a flax muffin for me

Steve