Ray

Default Chips.

Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian food?

BlueHeron

Gonna go out on a limb and say: French Fries are not Italian?

-- Blue

Ray wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian food?

BlueHeron

Ray wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian food?

Rubystars

"Ray" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian

food?

Potatoes are a new world crop. Of course, so are tomatoes, so that probably
doesn't really explain it.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"Ray" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian

food?

Potatoes are a new world crop. Of course, so are tomatoes, so that probably
doesn't really explain it.

-Rubystars

Michael Balarama

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Ray" > wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian

> food?
>
> Potatoes are a new world crop. Of course, so are tomatoes, so that

probably
> doesn't really explain it.

When I was in Italy for a few month-all they ate was spaghetti with
Pesto -(olive oil) no tomatoes-no pizza no rice)I was vegetarian but it was
bad
was 1984 was in Rome, Florance(Machavellli's castle) & Milano...
Michael

> -Rubystars

Michael Balarama

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Ray" > wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian

> food?
>
> Potatoes are a new world crop. Of course, so are tomatoes, so that

probably
> doesn't really explain it.

When I was in Italy for a few month-all they ate was spaghetti with
Pesto -(olive oil) no tomatoes-no pizza no rice)I was vegetarian but it was
bad
was 1984 was in Rome, Florance(Machavellli's castle) & Milano...
Michael

> -Rubystars

Rubystars

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message

> "Rubystars" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >
> > "Ray" > wrote in message
> > > Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian

> > food?
> >
> > Potatoes are a new world crop. Of course, so are tomatoes, so that

> probably
> > doesn't really explain it.

> When I was in Italy for a few month-all they ate was spaghetti with
> Pesto -(olive oil) no tomatoes-no pizza no rice)I was vegetarian but it

was
> bad
> was 1984 was in Rome, Florance(Machavellli's castle) & Milano...

Did they have basil pesto and alfredo sauce?

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message

> "Rubystars" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >
> > "Ray" > wrote in message
> > > Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian

> > food?
> >
> > Potatoes are a new world crop. Of course, so are tomatoes, so that

> probably
> > doesn't really explain it.

> When I was in Italy for a few month-all they ate was spaghetti with
> Pesto -(olive oil) no tomatoes-no pizza no rice)I was vegetarian but it

was
> bad
> was 1984 was in Rome, Florance(Machavellli's castle) & Milano...

Did they have basil pesto and alfredo sauce?

-Rubystars

Michael Balarama

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Michael Balarama" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Rubystars" > wrote in message
> > . com...

Italian
> > > food?
> > >
> > > Potatoes are a new world crop. Of course, so are tomatoes, so that

> > probably
> > > doesn't really explain it.

> > When I was in Italy for a few month-all they ate was spaghetti with
> > Pesto -(olive oil) no tomatoes-no pizza no rice)I was vegetarian but it

> was
> > bad
> > was 1984 was in Rome, Florance(Machavellli's castle) & Milano...

> Did they have basil pesto and alfredo sauce?

sorry-I don't know-it was oily and greasy and I just wanted a tomato and
something besides spaghetti..they had spaghetti for breakfast-fruit and
noodles and for lunch and dinner...I stayed at peoples houses..for the Rome
part..

> -Rubystars

Michael Balarama

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Michael Balarama" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Rubystars" > wrote in message
> > . com...

Italian
> > > food?
> > >
> > > Potatoes are a new world crop. Of course, so are tomatoes, so that

> > probably
> > > doesn't really explain it.

> > When I was in Italy for a few month-all they ate was spaghetti with
> > Pesto -(olive oil) no tomatoes-no pizza no rice)I was vegetarian but it

> was
> > bad
> > was 1984 was in Rome, Florance(Machavellli's castle) & Milano...

> Did they have basil pesto and alfredo sauce?

sorry-I don't know-it was oily and greasy and I just wanted a tomato and
something besides spaghetti..they had spaghetti for breakfast-fruit and
noodles and for lunch and dinner...I stayed at peoples houses..for the Rome
part..

> -Rubystars

Rubystars

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message
<snip>
> sorry-I don't know-it was oily and greasy and I just wanted a tomato and
> something besides spaghetti..they had spaghetti for breakfast-fruit and
> noodles and for lunch and dinner...I stayed at peoples houses..for the

Rome
> part..

Sounds awful.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message
<snip>
> sorry-I don't know-it was oily and greasy and I just wanted a tomato and
> something besides spaghetti..they had spaghetti for breakfast-fruit and
> noodles and for lunch and dinner...I stayed at peoples houses..for the

Rome
> part..

Sounds awful.

-Rubystars

Michael Balarama

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
m...

> "Michael Balarama" > wrote in message
> <snip>
> > sorry-I don't know-it was oily and greasy and I just wanted a tomato and
> > something besides spaghetti..they had spaghetti for breakfast-fruit and
> > noodles and for lunch and dinner...I stayed at peoples houses..for the

> Rome
> > part..

> Sounds awful.

the people were VERY nice-I spoke Italian then,they agreed to cook something
other that spagetti they made Lasagna-I told them them a noodle is a noodle
but thanks..They were very nice to Americans and there is quite a bit of
history to see in Italia..But the food was a bit lacking....

Michael Balarama

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
m...

> "Michael Balarama" > wrote in message
> <snip>
> > sorry-I don't know-it was oily and greasy and I just wanted a tomato and
> > something besides spaghetti..they had spaghetti for breakfast-fruit and
> > noodles and for lunch and dinner...I stayed at peoples houses..for the

> Rome
> > part..

> Sounds awful.

the people were VERY nice-I spoke Italian then,they agreed to cook something
other that spagetti they made Lasagna-I told them them a noodle is a noodle
but thanks..They were very nice to Americans and there is quite a bit of
history to see in Italia..But the food was a bit lacking....

Momzilla

"wowfabgroovy" > wrote in message
> BlueHeron > went:
>
>>Gonna go out on a limb and say: French Fries are not Italian?
>>
>>-- Blue
>>
>>Ray wrote:
>>> Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian
>>> food?
>>>

> if americans call crisps french fries, what do they call them in
> france? and what do americans call real french fries?

Actually, what the British call "Crisps" Americans call "Potato Chips".
What are called "French Fries" in the US are called "Chips" in the UK.
In France they have Pommes Frites, they're also served in Germany under the
same name.

-nancy-

Rubystars

"wowfabgroovy" > wrote in message
> BlueHeron > went:
>
> >Gonna go out on a limb and say: French Fries are not Italian?
> >
> >-- Blue
> >
> >Ray wrote:
> >> Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian

food?

> if americans call crisps french fries,

We call crisps chips. We call french fries french fries.

> what do they call them in
> france? and what do americans call real french fries?

Depends on what you mean by "real" french fries.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"wowfabgroovy" > wrote in message
> BlueHeron > went:
>
> >Gonna go out on a limb and say: French Fries are not Italian?
> >
> >-- Blue
> >
> >Ray wrote:
> >> Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian

food?

> if americans call crisps french fries,

We call crisps chips. We call french fries french fries.

> what do they call them in
> france? and what do americans call real french fries?

Depends on what you mean by "real" french fries.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message
<snip>
> the people were VERY nice-I spoke Italian then,they agreed to cook

something
> other that spagetti they made Lasagna-I told them them a noodle is a

noodle
> but thanks..They were very nice to Americans and there is quite a bit of
> history to see in Italia..But the food was a bit lacking....

Lasagna does sound good though.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message
<snip>
> the people were VERY nice-I spoke Italian then,they agreed to cook

something
> other that spagetti they made Lasagna-I told them them a noodle is a

noodle
> but thanks..They were very nice to Americans and there is quite a bit of
> history to see in Italia..But the food was a bit lacking....

Lasagna does sound good though.

-Rubystars

BlueHeron

First off, I am not American... second off... what's a crisp? Using
these names just gets confusing!

French Fries, invented in Belgium, are long, thin fried potatoes.
Proper fries are made by frying 2 times, the first at 160C, the second
at 180C. They are not crunchy all the way through. In French, we call
them "frites" or "patates frites", roughly "fries" or "fried potatoes".

Chips are generally referred to as thin slices of potatoe, genreally
round, fried until crunchy all the way through.

I can't speak for any other country, but that's the way it is in Canada.

-- Blue

wowfabgroovy wrote:

> BlueHeron > went:
>

>>Gonna go out on a limb and say: French Fries are not Italian?
>>
>>-- Blue
>>
>>Ray wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian food?
>>>

> if americans call crisps french fries, what do they call them in
> france? and what do americans call real french fries?

BlueHeron

wowfabgroovy wrote:

> BlueHeron > went:
>

>>Gonna go out on a limb and say: French Fries are not Italian?
>>
>>-- Blue
>>
>>Ray wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone tell me why potato chips (fries) do not feature in Italian food?
>>>

> if americans call crisps french fries, what do they call them in
> france? and what do americans call real french fries?

BlueHeron

Momzilla wrote:

> Actually, what the British call "Crisps" Americans call "Potato Chips".
> What are called "French Fries" in the US are called "Chips" in the UK.
> In France they have Pommes Frites, they're also served in Germany under the
> same name.
>
> -nancy-

I am sure that you ment "Patates Frites". Pommes = apples.

-- Blue
BlueHeron

Momzilla wrote:

> Actually, what the British call "Crisps" Americans call "Potato Chips".
> What are called "French Fries" in the US are called "Chips" in the UK.
> In France they have Pommes Frites, they're also served in Germany under the
> same name.
>
> -nancy-

I am sure that you ment "Patates Frites". Pommes = apples.

-- Blue
Randell Tarin

in article , BlueHeron at
ks wrote on 09/10/04 1:24 AM:

> Momzilla wrote:
>
>> Actually, what the British call "Crisps" Americans call "Potato Chips".
>> What are called "French Fries" in the US are called "Chips" in the UK.
>> In France they have Pommes Frites, they're also served in Germany under the
>> same name.
>>
>> -nancy-

> I am sure that you ment "Patates Frites". Pommes = apples.
>
> -- Blue

No, Pomme Frits is correct. It's derived from the term 'pomme de l'terre',
'apple of the earth.'

They eat them with Mayonnaise instead of tomato catsup. Go figure.

I'm American (did not vote for Bush BTW). Right after Frances refusal to
join in Bush's war, people here started calling French Fries, "Freedom
Fries".

I'm sure that many individuals in France flung themselves from the Eiffel
Tower after hearing about that. What an affront to their culture. <NOT>

I thought it was rather stupid and didn't care because I don't eat fried
foods anyway and I don't like Bush. And the idiot who ran for VP several
years ago, Dan Quayle, couldn't even spell P-O-T-A-T-O.

The term "CHIP" gets even more confusing because now we have CORN chips,
SWEET POTATO CHIPS (and they're not even a real potato!) VEGGIE chips etc.
We have entire rows devoted to the various and sundry "chips" that are now
available to public.

My favorite was the Potato Chip that was fried in Olestra. It was lower in
fat but gave you the sh*ts.

Rubystars

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
<snip>
> My favorite was the Potato Chip that was fried in Olestra. It was lower

in
> fat but gave you the sh*ts.

I tried Olestra potato chips one time. I didn't get diarrhea or have any
other bad reactions but I don't think I could eat those "Wow!" chips again
because it left a bitter aftertaste and had a disgusting mouth feel.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
<snip>
> My favorite was the Potato Chip that was fried in Olestra. It was lower

in
> fat but gave you the sh*ts.

I tried Olestra potato chips one time. I didn't get diarrhea or have any
other bad reactions but I don't think I could eat those "Wow!" chips again
because it left a bitter aftertaste and had a disgusting mouth feel.

-Rubystars

Sarah Carter

Momzilla > wrote in message

> Actually, what the British call "Crisps" Americans call "Potato Chips".
> What are called "French Fries" in the US are called "Chips" in the UK.

Here in the UK, french fries, like you get at Macdonalds, are called fries.
They usually are already salted when you buy them.
http://enews.tufts.edu/stories/image...eisnewbig1.JPG

Chips are a bit different as they are larger in size and taste a bit
different. You get them from a chip shop as opposed to American style
takeaways. When you buy them you are asked if you would like salt or vinegar
putting on them. There more details about them at
http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/FishandChips.htm

Sarah

Sarah Carter

Momzilla > wrote in message

> Actually, what the British call "Crisps" Americans call "Potato Chips".
> What are called "French Fries" in the US are called "Chips" in the UK.

Here in the UK, french fries, like you get at Macdonalds, are called fries.
They usually are already salted when you buy them.
http://enews.tufts.edu/stories/image...eisnewbig1.JPG

Chips are a bit different as they are larger in size and taste a bit
different. You get them from a chip shop as opposed to American style
takeaways. When you buy them you are asked if you would like salt or vinegar
putting on them. There more details about them at
http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/FishandChips.htm

Sarah

Sarah Carter

BlueHeron > wrote in message
> First off, I am not American... second off... what's a crisp? Using
> these names just gets confusing!

Here in the UK, crisps look like
http://www.racetothetop.org/images/crisps.jpg

Sarah

Sarah Carter

BlueHeron > wrote in message
> First off, I am not American... second off... what's a crisp? Using
> these names just gets confusing!

Here in the UK, crisps look like
http://www.racetothetop.org/images/crisps.jpg

Sarah

Momzilla

"BlueHeron" > wrote in message

> Momzilla wrote:
>
>> Actually, what the British call "Crisps" Americans call "Potato Chips".
>> What are called "French Fries" in the US are called "Chips" in the UK.
>> In France they have Pommes Frites, they're also served in Germany under
>> the same name.
>>
>> -nancy-

> I am sure that you ment "Patates Frites". Pommes = apples.
>
> -- Blue

Could be. I remembered the word but checked the spelling on the google
translator. I call my sister the Linguist later to confirm.

-nancy-

Momzilla

"Momzilla" > wrote in message
news

> "BlueHeron" > wrote in message
>>

>> Momzilla wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, what the British call "Crisps" Americans call "Potato Chips".
>>> What are called "French Fries" in the US are called "Chips" in the UK.
>>> In France they have Pommes Frites, they're also served in Germany under
>>> the same name.
>>>
>>> -nancy-

>> I am sure that you ment "Patates Frites". Pommes = apples.
>>
>> -- Blue

> Could be. I remembered the word but checked the spelling on the google
> translator. I call my sister the Linguist later to confirm.
>
> -nancy-

Wait a minute! I read all the other posts and I was right the first time.
This is a rare moment for me, I shall go a bask in this little glory.
I'm sure my daughter will burst my bubble any moment now.
-nancy-

BlueHeron

> Wait a minute! I read all the other posts and I was right the first
time.
> This is a rare moment for me, I shall go a bask in this little glory.
> I'm sure my daughter will burst my bubble any moment now.
> -nancy-

Lol. I asked my wife, who is French Canadian, what "potatoe" was in
French, and she responded: "patates". When I asked her to think about
it first, she really had to pause before she responded "Pomme de terre!"

However, in Quebec, and Alberta (my French is from both places, as I
grew up French in Alberta, but moved to Quebec later), French fries are
called "patates frits".

So you were right about France and Belgium and Germany.

Sorry!

-- Blue
Rubystars

"wowfabgroovy" > wrote in message
<snip>
> i like the ones made from rice and corn. the ones that are like
> expanded polystyrene with powdered flavouring on them.

Those are called rice cakes and corn cakes.

-Rubystars

Oak Chips to Kit. Doug Miller[_2_] Winemaking 1 15-04-2011 03:38 AM
Chips Dimitri General Cooking 5 18-09-2010 07:08 PM
Like chips? gloria.p General Cooking 1 06-07-2010 04:51 PM
Pie and chips Stuart Pedazzo General Cooking 11 03-02-2006 10:16 AM
MLF and OAK chips............. me me me Winemaking 1 03-11-2005 11:04 PM