FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   alternative for eggs (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/33252-alternative-eggs.html)

Marvin Preuss 02-09-2004 02:11 PM

alternative for eggs

is there a good alternative for eggs. when i was vegetarian i took some
eggs in the veggie burgers that it holds better together...what i can
take insted for that?
thank you alot

--
(o_ "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"
//\ http://www.xsteadfastx.de

Ray 02-09-2004 03:58 PM

"Marvin Preuss" > wrote in message
> is there a good alternative for eggs. when i was vegetarian i took some
> eggs in the veggie burgers that it holds better together...what i can
> take insted for that?
> thank you alot
>
> --
> (o_ "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"
> //\ http://www.xsteadfastx.de
> V_/_ http://www.indianajoneskids.com

Stupid get.

Steve 02-09-2004 05:32 PM

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:58:14 +0000 (UTC), "Ray" > wrote:
>>Stupid get.

Adding Ray to my killfile

Steve

Steve 02-09-2004 05:32 PM

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:58:14 +0000 (UTC), "Ray" > wrote:
>>Stupid get.

Adding Ray to my killfile

Steve

Marvin Preuss 02-09-2004 06:01 PM

Alf wrote:

> The only way around the problem is to fry them quickly to seal
> their outer edges. Try using larger buns as well so the burger
> inside doesn't fall out into your lap.

but thats a really good idea and thank you alot :)

Marvin Preuss 02-09-2004 06:01 PM

Ray 02-09-2004 06:38 PM

"Alf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:58:14 +0000 (UTC), "Ray" > wrote:
>

> >"Marvin Preuss" > wrote in message
> >> is there a good alternative for eggs. when i was vegetarian i took some
> >> eggs in the veggie burgers that it holds better together...what i can
> >> take insted for that?
> >> thank you alot
> >>
> >> --
> >> (o_ "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"
> >> //\ http://www.xsteadfastx.de
> >> V_/_ http://www.indianajoneskids.com

> >Stupid get.
> >

> Why don't you try making a burger without eggs instead of
> being a nasty meat head all your life? Marvin was only asking
> for a bit of advice.

Funny way of asking, he's a **** head.
Why do you waste your time on such people?

Ray 02-09-2004 06:38 PM

menu boy 02-09-2004 07:17 PM

"Marvin Preuss" > wrote in message ...
> is there a good alternative for eggs. when i was vegetarian i took some
> eggs in the veggie burgers that it holds better together...what i can
> take insted for that?
> thank you alot

Try pureed butternut squash.

Marvin Preuss 02-09-2004 08:00 PM

Ray wrote:

> Funny way of asking, he's a **** head.
> Why do you waste your time on such people?

what i did wrong?

C. James Strutz 02-09-2004 08:16 PM

"Marvin Preuss" > wrote in message
> is there a good alternative for eggs. when i was vegetarian i took

some
> eggs in the veggie burgers that it holds better together...what i

can
> take insted for that?
> thank you alot

Well, if you take a bunch of plant matter and compress it for a long
time with heat, you will eventually end up with a diamond. Maybe we
can extrapolate that idea to compress ingredients with a bit less
pressure and less heat for making eggless burgers! :^) Sorry, that
just popped into my head for some reason. I had read the other day
about a woman who had her cremated husband's ashes made into a
diamond -- okay, I digress.

Here're a few other ideas. Did you ever notice when you saute greens
that they can clump together if you stir them? They become entangled
and sort of bind to each other. If you include some kind of mechanical
binding agent, such as glutinous (sticky) rice or something longer and
stringier, in your burger then you should be able to compress them
into patties that will hold together. Another poster wrote that frying
them quickly will help. I have also found that having the right ratio
of moisture to density will yield a burger that is reasonably
cohesive. I think it will take some experimentation to come up with a
result that works well enough.

Hope it helps...

C. James Strutz 02-09-2004 08:16 PM

Marvin Preuss 02-09-2004 09:41 PM

C. James Strutz wrote:

> Well, if you take a bunch of plant matter and compress it for a long
> time with heat, you will eventually end up with a diamond. Maybe we
> can extrapolate that idea to compress ingredients with a bit less
> pressure and less heat for making eggless burgers! :^) Sorry, that
> just popped into my head for some reason. I had read the other day
> about a woman who had her cremated husband's ashes made into a
> diamond -- okay, I digress.

;-)

> If you include some kind of mechanical
> binding agent, such as glutinous (sticky) rice or something longer and
> stringier, in your burger then you should be able to compress them
> into patties that will hold together.

that with the rice is really a good idea and i will test it for sure

> I think it will take some experimentation to come up with a
> result that works well enough.

when you find something out....i would love to hear from you :)

> Hope it helps...

you already helped alot...thank you so much

BlueHeron 02-09-2004 11:52 PM

Alf wrote:

>>Adding Ray to my killfile
>>
>>Steve

> And Marvin might as well add me, because let's be honest, the advice
> I gave him won't help his burger problem. There's no way on earth to
> bind vegan burgers together, even if you fry them quickly like I told him.
> Marvin's best bet is to follow my other piece of advice and buy bigger
> buns if he's not doing so already.

What are you talking about? I make "burger" patties out of what would
otherwise be falafel, and it holds just fine. Also, try this:

JFL Veggie Burgers

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/2 cup uncooked hulled millet
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
3 tbsp. sunflower seeds
1 1/2 tbsp. chopped parsley
1/2 red onion, chopped
3/4 cup firm tofu
3 tbsp. grated beets
1 1/2 tbsp. tamari
2 tbsp. Engevita (nutritional yeast)
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. mixed herbs
2 tbsp. carrot juice or water (if needed)

Method:
1. Cook the millet in 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of water in a small pot
until the water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. The millet will not be
fully cooked. Cook the barley in a separate pot in 1/2 cup of water for
about 5 minutes the same way. Put both grains in a large mixing bowl.
Let cool.
2. While the grains are cooking, grind the seeds and nuts in a food
processor,. Add these to the ingredients in the mixing bowl.
3. In the same food processor, pur?e the garlic, parsley, onion and
carrot. When they are chopped fine, add the tofu and process until smooth.
4. Put this mixture in the mixing bowl with the nuts, seeds and grains.
Add the remaining ingredients -- except the carrot juice -- and mix
thoroughly with a large spoon. Add the carrot juice or water if the mix
is too dry for shaping into patties.
5. Divide and form into 6 patties.
6. Fry, broil or grill the patties until slightly crisp and brown on
both sides, about five minutes each side.

These burgers hold together just fine! Somewhat involved to make,
especially if you don't have a food processor, but damn, they are good!

-- Blue

BlueHeron 02-09-2004 11:52 PM

Ray 03-09-2004 01:04 AM

"Alf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:38:00 +0000 (UTC), "Ray" > wrote:
>

> >"Alf" > wrote in message
> .. .

some

can

> >> Why don't you try making a burger without eggs instead of
> >> being a nasty meat head all your life? Marvin was only asking
> >> for a bit of advice.

> >Funny way of asking, he's a **** head.

> I don't remember asking if he was a drunk.
>
> >Why do you waste your time on such people?

> He was looking for an alternative to using animal products, and being a
> strict vegetarian myself whose had to find ways around making foods
> without using animal products I can sympathise with his problem concerning
> burgers and want to offer what advice I have. I haven't wasted my time on
> him. What's your problem?

I am also a vegetarian, I thought the iclusion of the two links was an
indication that he was not making a genuine post.
They are not connected to his posting, that's all.

Ray 03-09-2004 01:04 AM

Marvin Preuss 03-09-2004 07:49 AM

Ray wrote:

> I am also a vegetarian, I thought the iclusion of the two links was an
> indication that he was not making a genuine post.
> They are not connected to his posting, that's all.

where is your problem? i did something wrong? and the two links are just
my signature or is it forbidden to have a signature?

[email protected] 03-09-2004 03:24 PM

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:11:01 +0200, Marvin Preuss
> wrote:

> is there a good alternative for eggs. when i was vegetarian i took some
> eggs in the veggie burgers that it holds better together...what i can
> take insted for that?
> thank you alot

This is a compilation of egg substitutes I've gleaned over the years. If you
want to share your burger recipe, I can probably give you a better idea of what
to use.

FOR BURGERS OR LOAVES:
Tomato paste
mashed potato
moistened bread crumbs or oats
peanut butter
tahini

The recipes below are for egg replacers in *baked goods*. To use them as
binders for burgers, I'd leave out the leavening agents (baking soda / baking
powder). You can also use sweet rice flour and/or oat flour in place of the
wheat flour. Experiment to get the desired consistency.

Homemade Fake Egg: Use the following recipe in place of one egg in baked goods;
it works really well in cookies. It's best to whip it up right before adding it
to the recipe. (Note: This recipe is not meant to replace eggs in really eggy
dishes, like scrambled eggs.)

Fake Egg

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons water

Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix together with a fork or wire whisk
until foamy.
-- Judy Krizmanic

From Chef Deb at Vegsource:
Ener-G Type Egg Replacer

1 cup potato starch
3/4 cup tapioca flour
2 tsp baking powder

Mix all well.
Store in airtight container.

To use:
1 1/2 tsp powder + 2 Tbsp water = 1 egg
1 1/2 tsp powder + 1 Tbsp water = 1 egg yolk

When measuring, press powder firmly into measuring spoon.

Good luck,
Nancy

----------
Replace the bogus-isp with yahoo to e-mail.

[email protected] 03-09-2004 03:24 PM

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:11:01 +0200, Marvin Preuss
> wrote:

> is there a good alternative for eggs. when i was vegetarian i took some
> eggs in the veggie burgers that it holds better together...what i can
> take insted for that?
> thank you alot

This is a compilation of egg substitutes I've gleaned over the years. If you
want to share your burger recipe, I can probably give you a better idea of what
to use.

FOR BURGERS OR LOAVES:
Tomato paste
mashed potato
moistened bread crumbs or oats
peanut butter
tahini

The recipes below are for egg replacers in *baked goods*. To use them as
binders for burgers, I'd leave out the leavening agents (baking soda / baking
powder). You can also use sweet rice flour and/or oat flour in place of the
wheat flour. Experiment to get the desired consistency.

Homemade Fake Egg: Use the following recipe in place of one egg in baked goods;
it works really well in cookies. It's best to whip it up right before adding it
to the recipe. (Note: This recipe is not meant to replace eggs in really eggy
dishes, like scrambled eggs.)

Fake Egg

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons water

Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix together with a fork or wire whisk
until foamy.
-- Judy Krizmanic

From Chef Deb at Vegsource:

Ray 03-09-2004 08:14 PM

"Marvin Preuss" > wrote in message
> Ray wrote:
>
> > Funny way of asking, he's a **** head.
> > Why do you waste your time on such people?

> what i did wrong?
>

> --
> (o_ "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"
> //\ http://www.xsteadfastx.de
> V_/_ http://www.indianajoneskids.com

I'm sorry Marvin, from your sigs I assumed you has been on the bottle.
No offence intended.

Ray 03-09-2004 08:14 PM

Marvin Preuss 04-09-2004 03:26 PM

Ray wrote:

> I'm sorry Marvin, from your sigs I assumed you has been on the bottle.
> No offence intended.

i really dont understand why

Marvin Preuss 04-09-2004 03:26 PM

Marvin Preuss 04-09-2004 03:26 PM

dave@ .com 04-09-2004 07:17 PM

For any of you in the UK, I recently discovered xanthan gum in Tesco's
organic food section. It is vegan (a very fine powder - made from
fermented cabbage) and commonly used as a thickener in sauces and
dessets etc.

I did some experimenting last night, and for the first time ever, made
a bean burger that bound together while it fried.

Dave

BlueHeron 05-09-2004 05:07 PM

Alf wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 18:52:21 -0400, BlueHeron > wrote:

<snip>
>>What are you talking about? I make "burger" patties out of what would
>>otherwise be falafel, and it holds just fine.

> Those are what I had in mind, and I have a hell of a time keeping
> them in one piece.

Sounds like you need to add more liquid to them.

<snip>
>>6. Fry, broil or grill the patties until slightly crisp and brown on
>>both sides, about five minutes each side.
>>
>>These burgers hold together just fine!

> I'll have another go, but I don't think I'll try boiling them. Even grilling
> them (or mine, rather) makes them fall apart because they dry out so
> quickly before forming a crust.

I wouldn't suggest *boiling* them myself. But I have both broiled them,
and grilled them, without a problem.

When you get them at Juice For Life in Toronto, they are broiled or
grilled (not fried), and they both hold together well, and taste devine.
Even my meat eating co-worker really enjoyed them when we were there.

<snip>

-- Blue

BlueHeron 05-09-2004 05:07 PM

r3ality 09-09-2004 10:38 PM

Marvin Preuss > wrote in message >...
> is there a good alternative for eggs. when i was vegetarian i took some
> eggs in the veggie burgers that it holds better together...what i can
> take insted for that?
> thank you alot

I've personally never tried this, but Dr. Greger suggested using 1
tablespoon ground Flax seeds to 3 tablespoons water and letting that
soak, that's the ratio anyway. According to him, this is some sort of
secret out of a vegan cookbook, one which I've never heard of. You
can check out his website at www.veganmd.com

r3ality 09-09-2004 10:38 PM

can check out his website at www.veganmd.com

menu boy 09-09-2004 11:31 PM

"r3ality" > wrote in message om...
> Marvin Preuss > wrote in message >...
> > is there a good alternative for eggs. when i was vegetarian i took some
> > eggs in the veggie burgers that it holds better together...what i can
> > take insted for that?
> > thank you alot

> I've personally never tried this, but Dr. Greger suggested using 1
> tablespoon ground Flax seeds to 3 tablespoons water and letting that
> soak, that's the ratio anyway. According to him, this is some sort of
> secret out of a vegan cookbook, one which I've never heard of. You
> can check out his website at www.veganmd.com

I saw this in a macrobiotic book too....I think it was there anyway.

menu boy 09-09-2004 11:31 PM

BlueHeron 10-09-2004 02:07 AM

r3ality wrote:

> Marvin Preuss > wrote in message >...
>
>>is there a good alternative for eggs. when i was vegetarian i took some
>>eggs in the veggie burgers that it holds better together...what i can
>>take insted for that?
>>thank you alot

> I've personally never tried this, but Dr. Greger suggested using 1
> tablespoon ground Flax seeds to 3 tablespoons water and letting that
> soak, that's the ratio anyway. According to him, this is some sort of
> secret out of a vegan cookbook, one which I've never heard of. You
> can check out his website at www.veganmd.com

This works well for baking, but it does not work well as a binding agent.

I have used it before in cookies and cakes with much success.

-- Blue

BlueHeron 10-09-2004 02:07 AM

Randell Tarin 10-09-2004 03:43 AM

in article , BlueHeron at

www.veganmd.com

> This works well for baking, but it does not work well as a binding agent.
>
> I have used it before in cookies and cakes with much success.
>
> -- Blue

I wonder how well Lecithin would work as a binder? Lecithin is the primary
component of egg whites that serves as the binder. Since it's from soy
sources, it fits into the vegan lifestyle. It's also extremely good for
you.

The liquid stuff is like an oily glue straight from the bottle, but it mixes
well into baking batters, smoothies etc. I haven't tried it as a binder for
veggie burgers, but it's worth a try.

Randell Tarin 10-09-2004 03:43 AM

in article , BlueHeron at

www.veganmd.com

Ross Clement 10-09-2004 05:40 PM

dave@ .com wrote in message >...
> For any of you in the UK, I recently discovered xanthan gum in Tesco's
> organic food section. It is vegan (a very fine powder - made from
> fermented cabbage) and commonly used as a thickener in sauces and
> dessets etc.
>
> I did some experimenting last night, and for the first time ever, made
> a bean burger that bound together while it fried.
>
> Dave

Please can you post the full recipe you used.

Cheers,

Ross-c

dave@ .com 11-09-2004 09:16 PM

On 10 Sep 2004 09:40:49 -0700, (Ross Clement)
wrote:

>dave@ .com wrote in message >...
>> For any of you in the UK, I recently discovered xanthan gum in Tesco's
>> organic food section. It is vegan (a very fine powder - made from
>> fermented cabbage) and commonly used as a thickener in sauces and
>> dessets etc.
>>
>> I did some experimenting last night, and for the first time ever, made
>> a bean burger that bound together while it fried.
>>
>> Dave

>Please can you post the full recipe you used.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ross-c

Hi,

Actually I didn't use any special recipe- I just squashed half a tin
of (drained) chick peas and half a tin of (drained) butter beans
together by hand, together with a chopped onion, garlic puree, a blob
of mustard and then mixed in the following powder:

A good teaspoon each of: vegetable stock powder, curry powder and
xanthan gum powder with a big sprinkling of ground black pepper.

After kneading the whole lot together, it thickened into a nice dough.

I found the best way to fry it was to keep the oil on quite a low heat
and add the mix as single balls, keeping it moving as it cooked. After
a while it could be pressed down lightly to form the burger shape.

It still has a tendancy to stick to the pan but not as much as the dry
packet burger mixes do. I suspect it would cook well if it were
lightly covered in oil and roasted in the oven

On another occasion I also added breadcrumbs, ground oats and kidney
beans which also worked quite well.

The xanthan gum is sold as a gluten alternative, trademarked
"bodyline" and I've just found a url on the jar -
www.mhfoods.net
- along with a gluten free bread recipe.

I found this stuff in the gluten free/organic section of our local
Tesco and had left it in the cupboard for a few weeks before
re-discovering it and experimenting the other night. Just checked
again today and they are still selling it.

Dave

dave@ .com 11-09-2004 09:16 PM