Randell Tarin

Default Nutritional Yeast as cheese substitute

How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found it
in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.

Would I need to pulverize the flakes into powder and sprinkle them or do I
need to mix it with tofu for a more cheesy consistency?

Randell Tarin

Randell Tarin

I've tried the Tofuti Cream Cheese, but how well does the other work in
Italian and Mexican style dishes.

I can only imagine how nutritional yeast tastes. I have a pantry full of
"stuff" that's good for me, but tastes horrendous. It's a challenge to be
dairy-free if you've, like me, been a cheese aficionado all your life.

On 08/26/04 2:17 AM, in article
, "Jennifer Huebl"
> wrote:

> In article >,

says...
>> How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found it
>> in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.

> I remember trying this a while back. The yeast is very cheesey to start
> with, and I remember having had a special vegan cheese cookbook that I
> tried some recipes from. It's a famous book and I'm sure others here can
> tell you the title (I'm blanking on it). To be honest (and it could be
> because I suck at recipes), none of the recipes tasted very good!
>
> There's a vegan cheese brand called "vegan" that makes a GREAT "hard
> cheese". It's the closest I've tasted to real cheese, especially when
> you grate it. But even that doesn't really match a real cheese taste.
> The same company also makes cheese slices, but for some reason the
> sliced version isn't very good. Tofutti is best for cheese slices, I
> think. Though the last few times I got it it didn't seem to have the
> same old taste it used to. Maybe it was the batch I bought it from.
>
> J.C.

Randell Tarin

I've tried the Tofuti Cream Cheese, but how well does the other work in
Italian and Mexican style dishes.

I can only imagine how nutritional yeast tastes. I have a pantry full of
"stuff" that's good for me, but tastes horrendous. It's a challenge to be
dairy-free if you've, like me, been a cheese aficionado all your life.

On 08/26/04 2:17 AM, in article
, "Jennifer Huebl"
> wrote:

> In article >,

says...
>> How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found it
>> in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.

> I remember trying this a while back. The yeast is very cheesey to start
> with, and I remember having had a special vegan cheese cookbook that I
> tried some recipes from. It's a famous book and I'm sure others here can
> tell you the title (I'm blanking on it). To be honest (and it could be
> because I suck at recipes), none of the recipes tasted very good!
>
> There's a vegan cheese brand called "vegan" that makes a GREAT "hard
> cheese". It's the closest I've tasted to real cheese, especially when
> you grate it. But even that doesn't really match a real cheese taste.
> The same company also makes cheese slices, but for some reason the
> sliced version isn't very good. Tofutti is best for cheese slices, I
> think. Though the last few times I got it it didn't seem to have the
> same old taste it used to. Maybe it was the batch I bought it from.
>
> J.C.

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 04:18:52 GMT, Randell Tarin
> wrote:

>I've tried the Tofuti Cream Cheese, but how well does the other work in
>Italian and Mexican style dishes.
>
>I can only imagine how nutritional yeast tastes. I have a pantry full of
>"stuff" that's good for me, but tastes horrendous. It's a challenge to be
>dairy-free if you've, like me, been a cheese aficionado all your life.

I would say: just eat cheese. Get a cow or goat and milk it
yourself to make sure it it treated humanely, then make your own
cheese.

Either that or don't try to find a substitute for it.

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 04:18:52 GMT, Randell Tarin
> wrote:

>I've tried the Tofuti Cream Cheese, but how well does the other work in
>Italian and Mexican style dishes.
>
>I can only imagine how nutritional yeast tastes. I have a pantry full of
>"stuff" that's good for me, but tastes horrendous. It's a challenge to be
>dairy-free if you've, like me, been a cheese aficionado all your life.

I would say: just eat cheese. Get a cow or goat and milk it
yourself to make sure it it treated humanely, then make your own
cheese.

Either that or don't try to find a substitute for it.

marion salinger

You could use Dixie Diners Cheese(Not!) Sauce mix which is mainly yeast
flakes,and available both sides of the Atlantic.

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
> How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found

it
> in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.
>
> Would I need to pulverize the flakes into powder and sprinkle them or do I
> need to mix it with tofu for a more cheesy consistency?
>
> Randell Tarin

marion salinger

You could use Dixie Diners Cheese(Not!) Sauce mix which is mainly yeast
flakes,and available both sides of the Atlantic.

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
> How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found

it
> in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.
>
> Would I need to pulverize the flakes into powder and sprinkle them or do I
> need to mix it with tofu for a more cheesy consistency?
>
> Randell Tarin

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:49:59 GMT, Randell Tarin
> wrote:

>That would work if I could find a cow or goat that gave only fat and
>lactose-free milk. ;-)\\

goat milk is usually toelrated.

>I have asthma and have found the elimination of meat and dairy products from
>my diet has vastly improved my breathing and overall well-being. Hence, the
>need for a non-dairy cheese substitute.
>
>The reason I asked about the nutritional yeast, I read somewhere that it
>could be used in place of parmesan in some dishes.
>
>Just because one is a vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean they have to eat
>tasteless food. I've found that there is generally a substitute for all
>ingredients in most recipes, I just haven't located a suitable one for
>cheese.

If you think it's tasteless, maybe you need a better vegan recipe
book, then.

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:49:59 GMT, Randell Tarin
> wrote:

>That would work if I could find a cow or goat that gave only fat and
>lactose-free milk. ;-)\\

goat milk is usually toelrated.

>I have asthma and have found the elimination of meat and dairy products from
>my diet has vastly improved my breathing and overall well-being. Hence, the
>need for a non-dairy cheese substitute.
>
>The reason I asked about the nutritional yeast, I read somewhere that it
>could be used in place of parmesan in some dishes.
>
>Just because one is a vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean they have to eat
>tasteless food. I've found that there is generally a substitute for all
>ingredients in most recipes, I just haven't located a suitable one for
>cheese.

If you think it's tasteless, maybe you need a better vegan recipe
book, then.
Sarah Carter

Randell Tarin > wrote in message

> Just because one is a vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean they have to eat
> tasteless food. I've found that there is generally a substitute for all
> ingredients in most recipes, I just haven't located a suitable one for
> cheese.

I generally just sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on top of food where I
would have grated parmesan. Or sometimes use parmazano soya cheese
substitute instead.

Sarah

Sarah Carter

Randell Tarin > wrote in message

> Just because one is a vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean they have to eat
> tasteless food. I've found that there is generally a substitute for all
> ingredients in most recipes, I just haven't located a suitable one for
> cheese.

I generally just sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on top of food where I
would have grated parmesan. Or sometimes use parmazano soya cheese
substitute instead.

Sarah

Randell Tarin

On 08/26/04 9:36 PM, in article ,
"Sarah Carter" > wrote:

> Randell Tarin > wrote in message
>
>> Just because one is a vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean they have to eat
>> tasteless food. I've found that there is generally a substitute for all
>> ingredients in most recipes, I just haven't located a suitable one for
>> cheese.
>>

> I generally just sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on top of food where I
> would have grated parmesan. Or sometimes use parmazano soya cheese
> substitute instead.
>
> Sarah
> --

That's what I was wondering...how it was used. In your honest opinion, how
does it compare tastewise?

I've heard it's pretty good sprinkled on popcorn.

Randell Tarin

On 08/26/04 9:36 PM, in article ,
"Sarah Carter" > wrote:

> Randell Tarin > wrote in message
>
>> Just because one is a vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean they have to eat
>> tasteless food. I've found that there is generally a substitute for all
>> ingredients in most recipes, I just haven't located a suitable one for
>> cheese.
>>

> I generally just sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on top of food where I
> would have grated parmesan. Or sometimes use parmazano soya cheese
> substitute instead.
>
> Sarah
> --

That's what I was wondering...how it was used. In your honest opinion, how
does it compare tastewise?

I've heard it's pretty good sprinkled on popcorn.

Momzilla

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
> On 08/26/04 9:36 PM, in article ,
> "Sarah Carter" > wrote:
>
>> Randell Tarin > wrote in message
>>
>>> Just because one is a vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean they have to eat
>>> tasteless food. I've found that there is generally a substitute for all
>>> ingredients in most recipes, I just haven't located a suitable one for
>>> cheese.
>>>

>> I generally just sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on top of food where I
>> would have grated parmesan. Or sometimes use parmazano soya cheese
>> substitute instead.
>>
>> Sarah
>> --
>>

> That's what I was wondering...how it was used. In your honest opinion,
> how
> does it compare tastewise?
>
> I've heard it's pretty good sprinkled on popcorn.

Popcorn with nutritional yeast and season salt. I practically lived on this
in college. Good stuff.

-nancy-

Momzilla

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
> On 08/26/04 9:36 PM, in article ,
> "Sarah Carter" > wrote:
>
>> Randell Tarin > wrote in message
>>
>>> Just because one is a vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean they have to eat
>>> tasteless food. I've found that there is generally a substitute for all
>>> ingredients in most recipes, I just haven't located a suitable one for
>>> cheese.
>>>

>> I generally just sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on top of food where I
>> would have grated parmesan. Or sometimes use parmazano soya cheese
>> substitute instead.
>>
>> Sarah
>> --
>>

> That's what I was wondering...how it was used. In your honest opinion,
> how
> does it compare tastewise?
>
> I've heard it's pretty good sprinkled on popcorn.

Popcorn with nutritional yeast and season salt. I practically lived on this
in college. Good stuff.

-nancy-

Salgar

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
> How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found

it
> in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.
>
> Would I need to pulverize the flakes into powder and sprinkle them or do I
> need to mix it with tofu for a more cheesy consistency?
>
> Randell Tarin

If you just want to sprinkle it you don't need to pulverize it as it
crumbles easily - but there are a couple of good parmesean substitutes, I
think Tofutti makes one. This recipe makes good "melted" cheese.

Melty Cheese
Ingredients
1 cup savoury yeast flakes
1/3 cup white flour
3 tbs maise cornflour (cornstarch)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups water
1/4- 1/2 cups margarine

Cooking Method
Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan. Gradually add water to create a
smooth paste. (It takes about one cup of the water to make it a smooth paste
first). Thin with remaining water. Place over high heat and strir
constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles. Let it bubble for up to 30
seconds then remove from heat. Whip in the margarine. Good on pizza,
casseroles, grilled cheese sandwiches, enchiladas and macaroni and cheese.

---

Salgar

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
> How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found

it
> in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.
>
> Would I need to pulverize the flakes into powder and sprinkle them or do I
> need to mix it with tofu for a more cheesy consistency?
>
> Randell Tarin

If you just want to sprinkle it you don't need to pulverize it as it
crumbles easily - but there are a couple of good parmesean substitutes, I
think Tofutti makes one. This recipe makes good "melted" cheese.

Melty Cheese
Ingredients
1 cup savoury yeast flakes
1/3 cup white flour
3 tbs maise cornflour (cornstarch)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups water
1/4- 1/2 cups margarine

Cooking Method
Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan. Gradually add water to create a
smooth paste. (It takes about one cup of the water to make it a smooth paste
first). Thin with remaining water. Place over high heat and strir
constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles. Let it bubble for up to 30
seconds then remove from heat. Whip in the margarine. Good on pizza,
casseroles, grilled cheese sandwiches, enchiladas and macaroni and cheese.

---

Jennifer Huebl

In article > , ms003g2464
@blueyonder.co.uk says...
> You could use Dixie Diners Cheese(Not!) Sauce mix which is mainly yeast
> flakes,and available both sides of the Atlantic.

There's another fake cheese brand....can't remember the same of that one
either! But I got their mac and cheese in various flavors a while back.
It was okay, nothing special.

Is it just me who's lost all desire for real cheese? To me, Tofutti is
"real" cheese because it's so rich, and I can only stomach it when I'm
in the right mood. Cheese was the only thing I ever had trouble giving
up, but now I can't even stand the smell of it. Or milk. Yew!!

J.C.
Jennifer Huebl

In article > , ms003g2464
@blueyonder.co.uk says...
> You could use Dixie Diners Cheese(Not!) Sauce mix which is mainly yeast
> flakes,and available both sides of the Atlantic.

There's another fake cheese brand....can't remember the same of that one
either! But I got their mac and cheese in various flavors a while back.
It was okay, nothing special.

Is it just me who's lost all desire for real cheese? To me, Tofutti is
"real" cheese because it's so rich, and I can only stomach it when I'm
in the right mood. Cheese was the only thing I ever had trouble giving
up, but now I can't even stand the smell of it. Or milk. Yew!!

J.C.
Sarah Carter

Randell Tarin > wrote in message

> > I generally just sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on top of food where

> > would have grated parmesan. Or sometimes use parmazano soya cheese
> > substitute instead.

> That's what I was wondering...how it was used. In your honest opinion,

how
> does it compare tastewise?
>
> I've heard it's pretty good sprinkled on popcorn.

I don't think I'd like to compare the taste of nutritional yeast flakes to
parmesan. It's not really the same at all. I usually use it so I don't feel
that I'm missing on something, with the added bonus of having a few good
vitamins in it.

Parmazano soya parmesan substitute isn't too far off from parmesan though.

Sarah

Sarah Carter

Randell Tarin > wrote in message

> > I generally just sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on top of food where

> > would have grated parmesan. Or sometimes use parmazano soya cheese
> > substitute instead.

> That's what I was wondering...how it was used. In your honest opinion,

how
> does it compare tastewise?
>
> I've heard it's pretty good sprinkled on popcorn.

I don't think I'd like to compare the taste of nutritional yeast flakes to
parmesan. It's not really the same at all. I usually use it so I don't feel
that I'm missing on something, with the added bonus of having a few good
vitamins in it.

Parmazano soya parmesan substitute isn't too far off from parmesan though.

Sarah

Heidi

"Sarah Carter" > wrote in message
> Randell Tarin > wrote in message
>
> > > I generally just sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on top of food

where
> > > would have grated parmesan. Or sometimes use parmazano soya cheese
> > > substitute instead.

> > That's what I was wondering...how it was used. In your honest opinion,

> how
> > does it compare tastewise?
> >
> > I've heard it's pretty good sprinkled on popcorn.

> I don't think I'd like to compare the taste of nutritional yeast flakes to
> parmesan. It's not really the same at all. I usually use it so I don't

feel
> that I'm missing on something, with the added bonus of having a few good
> vitamins in it.
>
> Parmazano soya parmesan substitute isn't too far off from parmesan though.
>
> Sarah
> --

I tried it on popcorn, and it doesn't stick. Didn't care for it much, for
that reason. I do love the stuff though.

Heidi

"Sarah Carter" > wrote in message
> Randell Tarin > wrote in message
>
> > > I generally just sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on top of food

where
> > > would have grated parmesan. Or sometimes use parmazano soya cheese
> > > substitute instead.

> > That's what I was wondering...how it was used. In your honest opinion,

> how
> > does it compare tastewise?
> >
> > I've heard it's pretty good sprinkled on popcorn.

> I don't think I'd like to compare the taste of nutritional yeast flakes to
> parmesan. It's not really the same at all. I usually use it so I don't

feel
> that I'm missing on something, with the added bonus of having a few good
> vitamins in it.
>
> Parmazano soya parmesan substitute isn't too far off from parmesan though.
>
> Sarah
> --

I tried it on popcorn, and it doesn't stick. Didn't care for it much, for
that reason. I do love the stuff though.

Tracy

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
> How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found
> it
> in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.
>
> Would I need to pulverize the flakes into powder and sprinkle them or do I
> need to mix it with tofu for a more cheesy consistency?
>
> Randell Tarin

Many health food stores and chains (Wild Oats, etc.) sell nutritional yeast
flakes in bulk, which is cheaper. Flakes are your best option for recipes
(tablets were intended to be used like vitamin pills). Here's a cheeze
recipe swiped from The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook:

Melty Nutritional Yeast "Cheese"
1/2 c nut yeast
1/2 c flour (white)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 c water
1/4 margarine (optional, makes it creamier)
1 tsp wet mustard

Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk in water. Cook over medium heat,
whisking until it thickens. Cook 30 seconds more, then remove from heat,
whip in mustard (and margarine, if desired). This cheese sauce will thicken
as it cools.

NOTE: This sauce is an excellent replacement for cheese in enchiladas and
nachos. I also used dry white wine once instead of water and used it as a
fondue sauce.

Randell Tarin

On 08/29/04 3:58 AM, in article ,
"Tracy" > wrote:

> "Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
>> How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found
>> it
>> in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.
>>
>> Would I need to pulverize the flakes into powder and sprinkle them or do I
>> need to mix it with tofu for a more cheesy consistency?
>>
>> Randell Tarin
>>

> Many health food stores and chains (Wild Oats, etc.) sell nutritional yeast
> flakes in bulk, which is cheaper. Flakes are your best option for recipes
> (tablets were intended to be used like vitamin pills). Here's a cheeze
> recipe swiped from The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook:
>
> Melty Nutritional Yeast "Cheese"
> 1/2 c nut yeast
> 1/2 c flour (white)
> 1 tsp salt
> 1/2 tsp garlic powder
> 2 c water
> 1/4 margarine (optional, makes it creamier)
> 1 tsp wet mustard
>
> Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk in water. Cook over medium heat,
> whisking until it thickens. Cook 30 seconds more, then remove from heat,
> whip in mustard (and margarine, if desired). This cheese sauce will thicken
> as it cools.
>
> NOTE: This sauce is an excellent replacement for cheese in enchiladas and
> nachos. I also used dry white wine once instead of water and used it as a
> fondue sauce.

Questions:

Could one substitute whole wheat flour AND in place of the margarine use
tofu? I know the flour would change the appearance and possibly the
consistency, but tofu should work quite well since it absorbs the other
flavors.

Bleached out white flour has had most of the nutritional value removed from
it. I think we're all aware that margarine contains trans fatty acids and is
made from hydrolyzed oils. <BAD>

Otherwise, I see that this might be an interesting recipe.

Sarah Carter

Randell Tarin > wrote in message

> Could one substitute whole wheat flour AND in place of the margarine use
> tofu? I know the flour would change the appearance and possibly the
> consistency, but tofu should work quite well since it absorbs the other
> flavors.

I imagine the margarine makes the sauce creamier by adding fats. I don't
think the type of fat would be in tofu.

I've never tried it though.

Sarah

Kake L Pugh

Randell Tarin > wrote:
> Could one substitute whole wheat flour AND in place of the margarine use
> tofu? [...] tofu should work quite well since it absorbs the other flavors.
> [...] margarine contains trans fatty acids and is made from hydrolyzed oils.

Tofu won't make the sauce creamy in the same way as margarine will.
Try using oil.

Kake
Kake L Pugh

Randell Tarin > wrote:
> Could one substitute whole wheat flour AND in place of the margarine use
> tofu? [...] tofu should work quite well since it absorbs the other flavors.
> [...] margarine contains trans fatty acids and is made from hydrolyzed oils.

Tofu won't make the sauce creamy in the same way as margarine will.
Try using oil.

Kake
marion salinger

You could use Dixie Diners Cheese(Not)Sauce,which is mainly nutritional
yeast,and available both sides of the Atlantic.

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
> How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found
> it
> in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.
>
> Would I need to pulverize the flakes into powder and sprinkle them or do I
> need to mix it with tofu for a more cheesy consistency?
>
> Randell Tarin

marion salinger

You could use Dixie Diners Cheese(Not)Sauce,which is mainly nutritional
yeast,and available both sides of the Atlantic.

"Randell Tarin" > wrote in message
> How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found
> it
> in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.
>
> Would I need to pulverize the flakes into powder and sprinkle them or do I
> need to mix it with tofu for a more cheesy consistency?
>
> Randell Tarin

BlueHeron

> Questions:
>
> Could one substitute whole wheat flour AND in place of the margarine use
> tofu? I know the flour would change the appearance and possibly the
> consistency, but tofu should work quite well since it absorbs the other
> flavors.

You could probably use whole wheat flour, but I would try it for
yourself before you try it on company!

Tofu however would not provide the same results as margarine.

> Bleached out white flour has had most of the nutritional value removed from
> it.

Indeed. I am not sure that this is supposed to be a "health" sauce.
Though, I think that I would make it with whole wheat flour as well.

> I think we're all aware that margarine contains trans fatty acids and is
> made from hydrolyzed oils. <BAD>

Then you are eating the wrong type of margarine. If you don't want to
use margarine, I would suggest a neutral oil such as canola or
sunflower. Start by using 1/2 the requested amount of margarine.

> Otherwise, I see that this might be an interesting recipe.

It does look interesting. I will have to give it a try I think.

-- Blue
BlueHeron

> Questions:
>
> Could one substitute whole wheat flour AND in place of the margarine use
> tofu? I know the flour would change the appearance and possibly the
> consistency, but tofu should work quite well since it absorbs the other
> flavors.

You could probably use whole wheat flour, but I would try it for
yourself before you try it on company!

Tofu however would not provide the same results as margarine.

> Bleached out white flour has had most of the nutritional value removed from
> it.

Indeed. I am not sure that this is supposed to be a "health" sauce.
Though, I think that I would make it with whole wheat flour as well.

> I think we're all aware that margarine contains trans fatty acids and is
> made from hydrolyzed oils. <BAD>

Then you are eating the wrong type of margarine. If you don't want to
use margarine, I would suggest a neutral oil such as canola or
sunflower. Start by using 1/2 the requested amount of margarine.

> Otherwise, I see that this might be an interesting recipe.

It does look interesting. I will have to give it a try I think.

-- Blue
Carey

"Heidi" > wrote in message>
I tried it on popcorn, and it doesn't stick. Didn't care for it much, for
> that reason. I do love the stuff though.

We spray it with olive oil first, then sprinkle with salt and nutriltional
yeast...sticks pretty well then.

Carey

"Heidi" > wrote in message>
I tried it on popcorn, and it doesn't stick. Didn't care for it much, for
> that reason. I do love the stuff though.

We spray it with olive oil first, then sprinkle with salt and nutriltional
yeast...sticks pretty well then.

Carey