FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   potato scones (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/32182-potato-scones.html)

katie 22-08-2004 02:59 AM

potato scones

tried a new recipe today...errr...that is, i didn't really follow it, but i
got about the same result. it was in some allergy cookbook, so i got the
gist of it from there, and did the rest by improv. steamed & mashed some
potatoes, added flour, some earth balance, and some steam-fried green onion,
bit o' pepper & salt, mixed it all really well until it turned into a dough,
then made little patties and fried them up in a bit of earth balance. the
result was really delicious - not at all healthy, but definitely the kind of
thing i can cook for my grease-lovin' family. might be good with some
garlic added to the onion while steam-frying. ps, the recipe used olive oil
instead of e.b., and chives instead of onions. and those were called
scones, although what i ended up with reminded me of these potato pancakes i
had when i was younger. mmm...they'd be good with a dab of sour supreme on
them, but i found that fresh out of the pan, they had a very nice delicate
flavour all by themselves.

Tracey 22-08-2004 11:43 AM

"katie" > wrote in message
.rogers.com...
> tried a new recipe today...errr...that is, i didn't really follow it, but

> got about the same result. it was in some allergy cookbook, so i got the
> gist of it from there, and did the rest by improv. steamed & mashed some
> potatoes, added flour, some earth balance, and some steam-fried green

onion,
> bit o' pepper & salt, mixed it all really well until it turned into a

dough,
> then made little patties and fried them up in a bit of earth balance. the
> result was really delicious - not at all healthy, but definitely the kind

of
> thing i can cook for my grease-lovin' family. might be good with some
> garlic added to the onion while steam-frying. ps, the recipe used olive

oil
> instead of e.b., and chives instead of onions. and those were called
> scones, although what i ended up with reminded me of these potato pancakes

> had when i was younger. mmm...they'd be good with a dab of sour supreme

on
> them, but i found that fresh out of the pan, they had a very nice delicate
> flavour all by themselves.

They do sound yummy, will try them myself. Bet they would be nice with
mashed up sweet potato too. What is earth balance, some sort of cooking
oil?

Tracey

katie 22-08-2004 03:56 PM

"Tracey" > wrote in message

> "katie" > wrote in message
> .rogers.com...
> > tried a new recipe today...errr...that is, i didn't really follow it,

but
> > got about the same result. it was in some allergy cookbook, so i got

the
> > gist of it from there, and did the rest by improv. steamed & mashed

some
> > potatoes, added flour, some earth balance, and some steam-fried green

> onion,
> > bit o' pepper & salt, mixed it all really well until it turned into a

> dough,
> > then made little patties and fried them up in a bit of earth balance.

the
> > result was really delicious - not at all healthy, but definitely the

kind
> of
> > thing i can cook for my grease-lovin' family. might be good with some
> > garlic added to the onion while steam-frying. ps, the recipe used olive

> oil
> > instead of e.b., and chives instead of onions. and those were called
> > scones, although what i ended up with reminded me of these potato

pancakes
> > had when i was younger. mmm...they'd be good with a dab of sour supreme

> on
> > them, but i found that fresh out of the pan, they had a very nice

delicate
> > flavour all by themselves.

> They do sound yummy, will try them myself. Bet they would be nice with
> mashed up sweet potato too. What is earth balance, some sort of cooking
> oil?
>
> Tracey

sweet potato; good idea! yeah, and they were really super easy to make.
and earth balance is a vegan, non-hydrogenated, non-gmo margerine. it's the
only one i've found that tastes the way i remember butter tasting, and bakes
like a dream (cause it's solid when it's cold, and softens if you leave it
out, the same as butter, so it really works well for baking).

Tracey 24-08-2004 04:11 PM

"katie" > wrote in message
. rogers.com...

> "Tracey" > wrote in message
> >
> > "katie" > wrote in message
> > .rogers.com...
> > > tried a new recipe today...errr...that is, i didn't really follow it,

> but
> > > got about the same result. it was in some allergy cookbook, so i got

> the
> > > gist of it from there, and did the rest by improv. steamed & mashed

> some
> > > potatoes, added flour, some earth balance, and some steam-fried green

> > onion,
> > > bit o' pepper & salt, mixed it all really well until it turned into a

> > dough,
> > > then made little patties and fried them up in a bit of earth balance.

> the
> > > result was really delicious - not at all healthy, but definitely the

> kind
> > of
> > > thing i can cook for my grease-lovin' family. might be good with some
> > > garlic added to the onion while steam-frying. ps, the recipe used

olive
> > oil
> > > instead of e.b., and chives instead of onions. and those were called
> > > scones, although what i ended up with reminded me of these potato

> pancakes
> > > had when i was younger. mmm...they'd be good with a dab of sour

supreme
> > on
> > > them, but i found that fresh out of the pan, they had a very nice

> delicate
> > > flavour all by themselves.

> > They do sound yummy, will try them myself. Bet they would be nice with
> > mashed up sweet potato too. What is earth balance, some sort of cooking
> > oil?
> >
> > Tracey
> >

> sweet potato; good idea! yeah, and they were really super easy to make.
> and earth balance is a vegan, non-hydrogenated, non-gmo margerine. it's

the
> only one i've found that tastes the way i remember butter tasting, and

bakes
> like a dream (cause it's solid when it's cold, and softens if you leave it
> out, the same as butter, so it really works well for baking).

Ah, so that's what it is - sounds good. I've never tried any vegan
margarines - I'm not actually vegan but vegetarian, but do cook a lot of
vegan meals. I've tried soya milk which I don't like at all, but the soya
yoghurts and desserts I've tried I actually prefer to the dairy ones. I'd
like to try the dairy-free cheese to see what that's like. Maybe vegan
cheese would be good in your potato scone recipe?

Tracey

Tracey 24-08-2004 04:11 PM

. rogers.com...

R.VENKATARAMAN 17-09-2004 02:20 AM

In Inida ;our cooking habits are different.
1.what is meant by Earth balancae
2. what is meant steam fried

.rogers.com...

R.VENKATARAMAN 17-09-2004 02:20 AM

In Inida ;our cooking habits are different.
1.what is meant by Earth balancae
2. what is meant steam fried

.rogers.com...

Steve 17-09-2004 04:45 AM

R.VENKATARAMAN wrote:
> In Inida ;our cooking habits are different.
> 1.what is meant by Earth balancae
> 2. what is meant steam fried

Hi Ram;

"Earth Balance" is a brand of margarine that does not have hydrogenated
oils. Hydrogenated oils raise bad cholesterol levels and lower good
cholesterol levels.

"Steam Fried" is a cooking technique to "fry" food without using oil.

Once a frying pan is hot enough tiny amounts of water fed into the pan
to keep the food from burning/sticking while the food is stirred rapidly.

Steve

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve 17-09-2004 04:45 AM