Hannah

Default What do vegans eat when they go out?

I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but do vegans have extreme difficulty
in going out for food?

I was working in a restauraunt at the weekend, and although we had 4 or 5
vegetarian options that day, none were suitable for a vegan (as there was
cheese, or egg yolk involved)

In the end the chef made a vegetable curry.. minus the cream in the sauce.. but
the customer could not have naan bread because there was milk powder in it. In
seven years working in catering establishments, it was only the second or 3rd
vegan i had come across, so i am not too sure what to suggest when people
declare they are vegan... help me do my job better!

So does a vegan not eat anythin that has anythin to do with a loving creature
then/

Hannah

make that *living* creature...

katie

"Hannah" > wrote in message

> I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but do vegans have extreme

difficulty
> in going out for food?

i don't find it so difficult. i just know what kind of places i would have
trouble in, and try to avoid having to go there, ie. i know i'd have trouble
eating breakfast at a greasy spoon, so i wouldn't put myself in that
situation, if i could help it. one of my all time fav foods is chinese, and
i find it pretty easy usually to find vegan foods at chinese places. if i
have a choice, i stick to my fav restaurants, cause i know it'll make life
easier. otherwise though, if i'm stuck in a place without much to eat, i
always try to look for stuff like salad, baked potato, (usually the only
viable thing in the place!). most important, i just stay chill about it
all. i don't expect anything, so if i find something yummy to eat, awesome.
if not, whatever. i don't really care. the only time i get ****ed off is
when there's an easy and obvious veganizable option and no one will
accomodate it. like yesterday, at school (the food contract went to a
company that sucks, so the food is more sucky, more expensive, and less
veg-friendly), i tried to get a sandwich at this sandwich bar. they have
vegetables, hummus, and multigrain bread at the place. but they won't mix
them together for me, since it's 'not on the menu.' even when i said hell
charge me as if i'm eating one of the sandwiches with all the expensive meat
n' cheese on it. so even though i was going to pay more for what they
consider to be toppings on a bun, they were so anal about the 'menu' that
they wouldn't do it. in the end, they said 'only this once, but never
again, cause we have to follow the 'menu.' that kind of rigidity drives me
nuts. i always really appreciate it when a restaurant will be creative to
come up with an option that i can eat, when it is within their means, if
they don't already have one on the menu. even if it's as simple as bringing
me olive oil & vinegar to make a salad dressing if the house dressing has
dairy in it. that always makes my day, when people are nice like that.
anyhow, i'm going to try to get the campus food service to put that new
veg-friendly sandwich on the menu, since it's a frigging university. more
crawling with vegans that most places, i figure. we even had a
pay-what-you-can vegan food service run by the students before the anal and
backwards frigging admin (under pressure from the anal food company) shut it
down. gahhh....sorry, this turned into one giant rant! ps, i think it's so
awesome that you cared enough to ask how to accomodate vegans at your job.
that's so cool. seriously, if you just try to think something up, i'll bet
most vegans will be thrilled with the effort. and a stir-fry is easy and
always yummy, veggies n' tofu type thing. baked potato and steamed
veggies...hmmm...a really good salad...sauteed veggies in a bit of olive
oil...like mushrooms etc...i dunno. anything vegetabley that you have
around, made without any animal stuff in it (eggs, dairy incl. milk, butter,
cheese, mayo etc, gelatin, meat incl. fish, seafood, chicken etc). and
hopefully everyone will be good n' easygoing.

John

"Hannah" > wrote in message
> I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but do vegans have extreme

difficulty
> in going out for food?

My experience of 'V-friendly' food in restaurants can be likened to going
into a car show-room and finding nothing but the Munster Mobile and Wacky
Racing Specials; when all I really want is a four-door hatchback.

I'm more a fussy vegitarian than a vegan though. Mostly I try and eat
English Food, like chips potatos, some veg and bread. (Chip butties in
expensive restaurants. Hmm. Fun! Unfortunately English food is for some
reason terribly unpopular in restaurants in England.

And this is to say nothing of the prawn-topped 'vegitarian' fod which I see
so often in chinese establishments.

John

John

"Hannah" > wrote in message
> I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but do vegans have extreme

difficulty
> in going out for food?

My experience of 'V-friendly' food in restaurants can be likened to going
into a car show-room and finding nothing but the Munster Mobile and Wacky
Racing Specials; when all I really want is a four-door hatchback.

I'm more a fussy vegitarian than a vegan though. Mostly I try and eat
English Food, like chips potatos, some veg and bread. (Chip butties in
expensive restaurants. Hmm. Fun! Unfortunately English food is for some
reason terribly unpopular in restaurants in England.

And this is to say nothing of the prawn-topped 'vegitarian' fod which I see
so often in chinese establishments.

John

MrFalafel

ojunk (Hannah) wrote in message >...
> I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but do vegans have extreme difficulty
> in going out for food?
>
> I was working in a restauraunt at the weekend, and although we had 4 or 5
> vegetarian options that day, none were suitable for a vegan (as there was
> cheese, or egg yolk involved)
>
> In the end the chef made a vegetable curry.. minus the cream in the sauce.. but
> the customer could not have naan bread because there was milk powder in it. In
> seven years working in catering establishments, it was only the second or 3rd
> vegan i had come across, so i am not too sure what to suggest when people
> declare they are vegan... help me do my job better!

> So does a vegan not eat anythin that has anythin to do with a loving creature
> then/

I travel a lot for my job which means I stay in hotels and eat out
constantly and rarely have any problems finding a vegan meal. All it
takes is helpful kitchen staff and a little imagination.

What some good restaurants do is have a conversation with me about
what's available in the kitchen and then just make something up for
me. One time the chef at small bistro made up a chantrelle risotto on
spot for me and it was so good he put it on the menu. I've found quite
often chefs are bored making the same dishes off the menu over and
over again and welcome the challange of creating something new with
the ingredients at hand. The most common thing for a restaurant to
make for veggies is a simple pasta dish with fresh veg sauted in olive
oil with a bit of garlic.

Many restaurants now are aware of different dietary restrictions for
religious people and people with food alergies and already have a set
'alternate' that can be prepared (usually the horrible steamed veggies
over rice).
MrFalafel

ojunk (Hannah) wrote in message >...
> I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but do vegans have extreme difficulty
> in going out for food?
>
> I was working in a restauraunt at the weekend, and although we had 4 or 5
> vegetarian options that day, none were suitable for a vegan (as there was
> cheese, or egg yolk involved)
>
> In the end the chef made a vegetable curry.. minus the cream in the sauce.. but
> the customer could not have naan bread because there was milk powder in it. In
> seven years working in catering establishments, it was only the second or 3rd
> vegan i had come across, so i am not too sure what to suggest when people
> declare they are vegan... help me do my job better!

> So does a vegan not eat anythin that has anythin to do with a loving creature
> then/

I travel a lot for my job which means I stay in hotels and eat out
constantly and rarely have any problems finding a vegan meal. All it
takes is helpful kitchen staff and a little imagination.

What some good restaurants do is have a conversation with me about
what's available in the kitchen and then just make something up for
me. One time the chef at small bistro made up a chantrelle risotto on
spot for me and it was so good he put it on the menu. I've found quite
often chefs are bored making the same dishes off the menu over and
over again and welcome the challange of creating something new with
the ingredients at hand. The most common thing for a restaurant to
make for veggies is a simple pasta dish with fresh veg sauted in olive
oil with a bit of garlic.

Many restaurants now are aware of different dietary restrictions for
religious people and people with food alergies and already have a set
'alternate' that can be prepared (usually the horrible steamed veggies
over rice).
Kendy

> one of my all time fav foods is chinese, and
>i find it pretty easy usually to find vegan foods at chinese place

Mine to. I found a great place that makes the best fried tofu...Indian and
Asian places usually offer vegan options. Mexican food is tricky since
everything has cheese on it, try to get something without cheese and you will
only get more cheese! If I think a place looks good and I have a take out menu
I call ahead and ask if there are vegan options.

-Kendy
(remove the 'pute' to reply!)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/missmuffcake/
Kendy

> one of my all time fav foods is chinese, and
>i find it pretty easy usually to find vegan foods at chinese place

Mine to. I found a great place that makes the best fried tofu...Indian and
Asian places usually offer vegan options. Mexican food is tricky since
everything has cheese on it, try to get something without cheese and you will
only get more cheese! If I think a place looks good and I have a take out menu
I call ahead and ask if there are vegan options.

-Kendy
(remove the 'pute' to reply!)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/missmuffcake/
menu boy

"Hannah" > wrote in message

> I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but do vegans have extreme

difficulty
> in going out for food?
>
> I was working in a restauraunt at the weekend, and although we had 4 or 5
> vegetarian options that day, none were suitable for a vegan (as there was
> cheese, or egg yolk involved)
>
> In the end the chef made a vegetable curry.. minus the cream in the

sauce.. but
> the customer could not have naan bread because there was milk powder in

it. In
> seven years working in catering establishments, it was only the second or

3rd
> vegan i had come across, so i am not too sure what to suggest when people
> declare they are vegan... help me do my job better!

> So does a vegan not eat anythin that has anythin to do with a loving

creature
> then/

Easy, we don't eat out. My wife and I are starting our own restaurant.
However, it will be vegan and vegetarian. Not too many vegans in the
sticks.
Unfortunately, it will only be in the U.S.

Hannah

I live out in sticks..

right in the middle of a very rural area where farming is really important as
a local industry.

I dont know a Vegan, and i only know of very very few vegetarians.

But due to the beautiful scenery, when summer comes, so do the hoards of
tourists, so we occasionally get vegetarians calling in, but as i said a vegan
is a very rare occurence, so it would not be worth having a Vegan dish on the
menu.

Though my b/f is a head chef in another county, he comes up with a different
veggie dish every day, and he finds even hardened meat eaters opt for the
vegetarian option, as the dish shows a lot of effort has been put into it. most
places just stick vegetable lasagne or stir fry on the menu every night!

oh dear.. i rambled!

menu boy

"Hannah" > wrote in message
> I live out in sticks..
>
> right in the middle of a very rural area where farming is really

important as
> a local industry.
>
> I dont know a Vegan, and i only know of very very few vegetarians.
>
> But due to the beautiful scenery, when summer comes, so do the hoards of
> tourists, so we occasionally get vegetarians calling in, but as i said a

vegan
> is a very rare occurence, so it would not be worth having a Vegan dish on

the
> menu.

Yeah, but we won't advertise the place as vegan. We'll use "clever"
descriptions for the menu items. We will offer some seafood too. Mainly
"bugs".

menu boy

"Hannah" > wrote in message
> I live out in sticks..
>
> right in the middle of a very rural area where farming is really

important as
> a local industry.
>
> I dont know a Vegan, and i only know of very very few vegetarians.
>
> But due to the beautiful scenery, when summer comes, so do the hoards of
> tourists, so we occasionally get vegetarians calling in, but as i said a

vegan
> is a very rare occurence, so it would not be worth having a Vegan dish on

the
> menu.

Yeah, but we won't advertise the place as vegan. We'll use "clever"
descriptions for the menu items. We will offer some seafood too. Mainly
"bugs".

Megan Milligan

no need to apologize. it's a common question. For me, living it las vegas,
it's not so bad finding vegan options. there are a lot of ethinic places
(indian, thai, chinese, mediterranean etc.) that serve non-dairy, non-animal
products, as well as a plethora of buffets with a fair number of vegan
options. and restaurants that i've eatne at that don't fit any of the above
actegories, have been nice & acommodating to adapt dishes to my needs (like
mimi's cafe where me & my aunt ate one time just after I went full-on
vegan).

it helps that i've always had a thing for ethnic food. much more
interesting than common americna foods anyway.

Megan

--
Megan Milligan
Desert Rose Musings (www.desertrosemusings.com) (parts still under
"Hannah" > wrote in message

> I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but do vegans have extreme

difficulty
> in going out for food?

---

Megan Milligan

wherabouts in the u.s. menuboy?

-
"menu boy" > wrote in message
newseAOc.1958$%z6.1146@trndny08...

> Easy, we don't eat out. My wife and I are starting our own restaurant.
> However, it will be vegan and vegetarian. Not too many vegans in the
> sticks.
> Unfortunately, it will only be in the U.S.

---

Megan Milligan

"menu boy" > wrote in message
newseAOc.1958$%z6.1146@trndny08...

> Easy, we don't eat out. My wife and I are starting our own restaurant.
> However, it will be vegan and vegetarian. Not too many vegans in the
> sticks.
> Unfortunately, it will only be in the U.S.

---

menu boy

"Megan Milligan" > wrote in message
> wherabouts in the u.s. menuboy?

The Poconos in PA. We're still looking at property. It's dirt cheap
there.

menu boy

"Megan Milligan" > wrote in message
> wherabouts in the u.s. menuboy?

The Poconos in PA. We're still looking at property. It's dirt cheap
there.

Kata och Virre

Hannah wrote:
> I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but do vegans have extreme difficulty
> in going out for food?

Hi [1]
Not really, and we really live out in the woods. Allthough mostly we eat
Pizza without chese or Falafel so it can get kind of repetive after time.

> I was working in a restauraunt at the weekend, and although we had 4 or 5
> vegetarian options that day, none were suitable for a vegan (as there was
> cheese, or egg yolk involved)

I used to work at a resturant, I wasnīt vegan myself back then but other
people working there were. And she fixed up things with what was in
the supplies. There also was some completly vegan finished
dishes("pytt-i-panna", donīt know what its called in English though).

> In the end the chef made a vegetable curry.. minus the cream in the sauce.. but
> the customer could not have naan bread because there was milk powder in it. In
> seven years working in catering establishments, it was only the second or 3rd
> vegan i had come across, so i am not too sure what to suggest when people
> declare they are vegan... help me do my job better!

Most vegans seems to end up eating a lot of ethnic stuff (Indian,
Japanese, Chinese and mostly with tofu in it). First of you hopefully
has products for dairy intolerant pepole or at least vegetable oil to
fry things in. Now to some suggestions that would work in an resturant
environment (can be made before hand and just need to be heated, or
quick todo):

Bean thingie[2] - you fry onion and garlic and use crushed[3] tomatoes
and some beans of your choice. Allthough most vegans I know eat that
kind of thing so often they are tiered of it.

Fried vegetabels - If you got a deep fryer that is.

Bean curry - Your boss seem to had the idea.

Falafel and that kind of stuff to, if you know how to do it.

[1]= Hi to everyone we are new to this usenet group, acctualy we are new
to usenet. An other note, we are not native-english speaker (from
Sweden) so please bear with the spelling. Oh and we are not scizhoprenic
either, just shareing the usenet account, and many other things in life.

[2]= I think the word is casroule or something like that. Everything in
a big pot.

[3]= Or mashed, you buy it on cans and they are well crushed.

/Virre & Kata

T5NF

Hannah wrote:
<snip>
>But due to the beautiful scenery, when summer comes, so do the hoards of
>tourists, so we occasionally get vegetarians calling in, but as i said a
>vegan
>is a very rare occurence, so it would not be worth having a Vegan dish on the
>menu.

Sure it would...you just reinforced the notion below by stating that even meat
eaters go for the veg dish where your boyfriend works :-). Some folks get tired
of the same old thing whether they eat animals/animal products or not...why not
offer up something different? ... that way at least people will have a choice.

>Though my b/f is a head chef in another county, he comes up with a different
>veggie dish every day, and he finds even hardened meat eaters opt for the
>vegetarian option, as the dish shows a lot of effort has been put into it.
>most
>places just stick vegetable lasagne or stir fry on the menu every night!
>
>oh dear.. i rambled!

T5NF

Hannah wrote:
<snip>
>But due to the beautiful scenery, when summer comes, so do the hoards of
>tourists, so we occasionally get vegetarians calling in, but as i said a
>vegan
>is a very rare occurence, so it would not be worth having a Vegan dish on the
>menu.

Sure it would...you just reinforced the notion below by stating that even meat
eaters go for the veg dish where your boyfriend works :-). Some folks get tired
of the same old thing whether they eat animals/animal products or not...why not
offer up something different? ... that way at least people will have a choice.

>Though my b/f is a head chef in another county, he comes up with a different
>veggie dish every day, and he finds even hardened meat eaters opt for the
>vegetarian option, as the dish shows a lot of effort has been put into it.
>most
>places just stick vegetable lasagne or stir fry on the menu every night!
>
>oh dear.. i rambled!

Vegans Wanted! Vegan Abolitionist Vegan 2 09-11-2007 05:26 PM
New Group for Vegans Goat Vegetarian cooking 0 20-03-2007 09:04 PM
Vegans S&S Vegan 1 01-06-2005 01:08 AM
a big F-U to vegans everywhere :-) usual suspect Vegan 83 05-01-2005 08:37 PM
Why Vegans Were Right All Along F.G. Whitfurrows Barbecue 2 17-01-2004 02:10 AM