b.williams

Default Protein counting

I hope someone on here can answer this question:

I eat 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 2 slices of bread.

The nutrition panel for peanut butter says 2 tablespoons equals 8
grams of protein. The nutrition panel for bread says 1 slice is 3
grams, so 2 slices is 6 grams of protein.

How many grams of "complete" protein am I getting??

Thanks -

cde

b.williams wrote:
> I hope someone on here can answer this question:
>
> I eat 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 2 slices of bread.
>
> The nutrition panel for peanut butter says 2 tablespoons equals 8
> grams of protein. The nutrition panel for bread says 1 slice is 3
> grams, so 2 slices is 6 grams of protein.
>
> How many grams of "complete" protein am I getting??
>
> Thanks -

It doesn't really work like you think, unless you eat nothing
but peanut butter sandwiches all day.

If that were the case, your 13 g of protein would net
..55(13g) because the limiting amino acid is lysine, at
55% of optimal. => 7.15 g for 335 calories.

If instead, you opted for 3 oz of 75% lean ground beef,
the 21 g would be limited to .37(21g) because the limiting
amino acid is tryptophan, at 37% of optimal. =>7.77 g
for 216 calories. So much for being a "complete" protein.

But, if you ate both of them in the same day (and nothing
else) you would net .61(34g). => 20.74 g for 551 calories.

Or, you could eat 100 g sprouted kidney beans, 1 cup cooked
collards, 1 cup mushrooms, and 1 tb flax seed for 157 calories
and 0.73(13 g). = 9.49 g net protein.. If you decided to eat 551
calories worth of this combination and nothing else all day, you
would get 33.3 g useable protein. This is more than a 60%
increase in net protein than the case above.

You can see the amino acid profiles of foods in the USDA
nutrient database or http://www.nutritiondata.com. There
are also search tools to help you find foods highest in a particular
amino acid.

It's always a good idea to incorporate a wide variety of foods
in your diet. If you include a number of different vegetables
(wtth emphasis on leaves), legumes, nuts, seeds, and soaked
or sprouted grains, you will be getting plenty. For some of
the "conditionally" essential amino acids such as taurine and
arginine, however, there might be a different story.

cde

b.williams wrote:
> I hope someone on here can answer this question:
>
> I eat 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 2 slices of bread.
>
> The nutrition panel for peanut butter says 2 tablespoons equals 8
> grams of protein. The nutrition panel for bread says 1 slice is 3
> grams, so 2 slices is 6 grams of protein.
>
> How many grams of "complete" protein am I getting??
>
> Thanks -

It doesn't really work like you think, unless you eat nothing
but peanut butter sandwiches all day.

If that were the case, your 13 g of protein would net
..55(13g) because the limiting amino acid is lysine, at
55% of optimal. => 7.15 g for 335 calories.

If instead, you opted for 3 oz of 75% lean ground beef,
the 21 g would be limited to .37(21g) because the limiting
amino acid is tryptophan, at 37% of optimal. =>7.77 g
for 216 calories. So much for being a "complete" protein.

But, if you ate both of them in the same day (and nothing
else) you would net .61(34g). => 20.74 g for 551 calories.

Or, you could eat 100 g sprouted kidney beans, 1 cup cooked
collards, 1 cup mushrooms, and 1 tb flax seed for 157 calories
and 0.73(13 g). = 9.49 g net protein.. If you decided to eat 551
calories worth of this combination and nothing else all day, you
would get 33.3 g useable protein. This is more than a 60%
increase in net protein than the case above.

You can see the amino acid profiles of foods in the USDA
nutrient database or http://www.nutritiondata.com. There
are also search tools to help you find foods highest in a particular
amino acid.

It's always a good idea to incorporate a wide variety of foods
in your diet. If you include a number of different vegetables
(wtth emphasis on leaves), legumes, nuts, seeds, and soaked
or sprouted grains, you will be getting plenty. For some of
the "conditionally" essential amino acids such as taurine and
arginine, however, there might be a different story.

Emma Chase VanCott

In sci.med.nutrition b.williams > wrote:
: I hope someone on here can answer this question:

: I eat 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 2 slices of bread.

I avoid peanut butter. Commercial PB has icing sugar in it.

One fond memory of my Pharmacology courses: The USDA also has allowable
levels of rodent droppings, hair and aflatoxin (a carcinogenic fungus).

Yum. (Not.)

Emma

ChodeMasterJ

Emma Chase VanCott > wrote in news:ce454t$o4p$4
@knot.queensu.ca:

> I avoid peanut butter. Commercial PB has icing sugar in it.
>
> One fond memory of my Pharmacology courses: The USDA also has allowable
> levels of rodent droppings, hair and aflatoxin (a carcinogenic fungus).
>
> Yum. (Not.)
>

> Emma

Out of curiosity, is icing sugar anything that a vegan would steer clear
of, due to it being an animal byproduct? Thanks. (I'm new at this).

James

ChodeMasterJ

Emma Chase VanCott > wrote in news:ce454t$o4p$4
@knot.queensu.ca:

> I avoid peanut butter. Commercial PB has icing sugar in it.
>
> One fond memory of my Pharmacology courses: The USDA also has allowable
> levels of rodent droppings, hair and aflatoxin (a carcinogenic fungus).
>
> Yum. (Not.)
>

> Emma

Out of curiosity, is icing sugar anything that a vegan would steer clear
of, due to it being an animal byproduct? Thanks. (I'm new at this).

James

Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>I avoid peanut butter. Commercial PB has icing sugar in it.

Don't know about in Canada, but in the UK you can definitely get
peanut butter with no added sugar. (iirc, ingredients are peanuts,
palm oil and salt)

>One fond memory of my Pharmacology courses: The USDA also has allowable
>levels of rodent droppings, hair and aflatoxin (a carcinogenic fungus).

That, of course, is another matter ...
(And is applicable to all foods, not just peanut butter, one assumes)

--
http://comps.org/ <> http://comps-offline.co.uk/ <> http://comps-online.co.uk/
Vicky Conlan

According to >:
>I avoid peanut butter. Commercial PB has icing sugar in it.

Don't know about in Canada, but in the UK you can definitely get
peanut butter with no added sugar. (iirc, ingredients are peanuts,
palm oil and salt)

>One fond memory of my Pharmacology courses: The USDA also has allowable
>levels of rodent droppings, hair and aflatoxin (a carcinogenic fungus).

That, of course, is another matter ...
(And is applicable to all foods, not just peanut butter, one assumes)

--
http://comps.org/ <> http://comps-offline.co.uk/ <> http://comps-online.co.uk/
Mike Charlton

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 04:59:42 -0500, ChodeMasterJ wrote:

> Out of curiosity, is icing sugar anything that a vegan would steer clear
> of, due to it being an animal byproduct? Thanks. (I'm new at this).

It depends on the manufacturer. Some sugar products are dried with the
help of bonemeal (or so I have been led to believe). I do know that
other manufacturers don't do this and the sugar is completely vegan
(having lived mere blocks away from a sugar beet processing plant...)
If in doubt, you can contact them and ask.

Mike

Mike Charlton

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 04:59:42 -0500, ChodeMasterJ wrote:

> Out of curiosity, is icing sugar anything that a vegan would steer clear
> of, due to it being an animal byproduct? Thanks. (I'm new at this).

It depends on the manufacturer. Some sugar products are dried with the
help of bonemeal (or so I have been led to believe). I do know that
other manufacturers don't do this and the sugar is completely vegan
(having lived mere blocks away from a sugar beet processing plant...)
If in doubt, you can contact them and ask.

Mike

Jan

Mike Charlton > wrote in message rg>...
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 04:59:42 -0500, ChodeMasterJ wrote:
>
> > Out of curiosity, is icing sugar anything that a vegan would steer clear
> > of, due to it being an animal byproduct? Thanks. (I'm new at this).

> It depends on the manufacturer. Some sugar products are dried with the
> help of bonemeal (or so I have been led to believe). I do know that
> other manufacturers don't do this and the sugar is completely vegan
> (having lived mere blocks away from a sugar beet processing plant...)
> If in doubt, you can contact them and ask.

Why is it so important to have peanut butter? Tahini (paste from
ground sesame seeds) is much healhier choice! It has more calsium and
magnesium and doesn't contain aflatoxins (fungus toxic to liver) like
peanut butter does. You can spread tahini on your sandwhiches or you
can make a tasty salad dressing by adding water, few drops of soy
sauce and some garlic.

-Jan