Suzie-Q

Default Yogurt Substitute

Hi All,

I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
any other dairy product without serious consequences.

Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?

Thanks in advance,
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617
menu boy

"Suzie-Q" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
> anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
> important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
> and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
> any other dairy product without serious consequences.
>
> Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?

You can get soy-based yogurt in most grocery stores. It's a little
pricey though.

menu boy

"Suzie-Q" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
> anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
> important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
> and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
> any other dairy product without serious consequences.
>
> Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?

You can get soy-based yogurt in most grocery stores. It's a little
pricey though.

Suzie-Q

In article <OhZLc.167$T9.158@trndny05>, "menu boy" > wrote:

-> "Suzie-Q" > wrote in message
-> ...
-> > Hi All,
-> >
-> > I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
-> > anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
-> > important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
-> > and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
-> > any other dairy product without serious consequences.
-> >
-> > Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?
-> >
-> You can get soy-based yogurt in most grocery stores. It's a little
-> pricey though.

I thought of that, but in my small town I haven't been
able to find any. Thanks.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617
Suzie-Q

In article <OhZLc.167$T9.158@trndny05>, "menu boy" > wrote:

-> "Suzie-Q" > wrote in message
-> ...
-> > Hi All,
-> >
-> > I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
-> > anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
-> > important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
-> > and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
-> > any other dairy product without serious consequences.
-> >
-> > Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?
-> >
-> You can get soy-based yogurt in most grocery stores. It's a little
-> pricey though.

I thought of that, but in my small town I haven't been
able to find any. Thanks.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617

nemo

Suzie-Q > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
> anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
> important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
> and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
> any other dairy product without serious consequences.

That's why they call it Anaphy-lactic shock. )

> Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?

There are some available, made from soya, but they're not to my taste.
Nemo

nemo

Suzie-Q > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
> anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
> important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
> and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
> any other dairy product without serious consequences.

That's why they call it Anaphy-lactic shock. )

> Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?

There are some available, made from soya, but they're not to my taste.
Nemo

Kake L Pugh

Suzie-Q > wrote:
> I thought of that, but in my small town I haven't been able to find any.

Can you get soya milk and tofu? You could try blenderising a bit of tofu into
some soya milk. You'll have to experiment to get the right proportion.
Silken tofu would work best, but any tofu will do in a pinch - as long as it's
just plain tofu, not smoked or pre-fried

Kake

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:58:00 GMT, Suzie-Q >
wrote:

>Hi All,
>.
>I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
>anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
>important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
>and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
>any other dairy product without serious consequences.
>
>Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?

Make your smoothie with kefir. Add some dried milk powder
to it while it's fermenting to make it thicker. (sorry vegans).

I am lactose intolerant, but I have no problem with kefir.
The microflora digest the lactose, and even create lactase,
which removes the lactose. Kefir also has better mciroflora than
yoghurt.

If you want, you can try to get milk that comes from the happy
organic cows that get to hang out in a pasture. There are dairies
like that. They even sometimes sell that kind of milk in regular
grocery stores now.

try:

tracy

wrote:

>Hi All,
>.
>I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
>anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
>important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
>and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
>any other dairy product without serious consequences.
>
>Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?

Make your smoothie with kefir. Add some dried milk powder
to it while it's fermenting to make it thicker. (sorry vegans).

I am lactose intolerant, but I have no problem with kefir.
The microflora digest the lactose, and even create lactase,
which removes the lactose. Kefir also has better mciroflora than
yoghurt.

If you want, you can try to get milk that comes from the happy
organic cows that get to hang out in a pasture. There are dairies
like that. They even sometimes sell that kind of milk in regular
grocery stores now.

try:

tracy

Megan Milligan

I found two out there I really like: O'Soy and Silk soy yogurts. A Tad
expensive but worth it since i haven't been able to find anu cultures sold
locally to make my own soy yogurt.

Megan

--
Megan Milligan
Desert Rose Musings (www.desertrosemusings.com) (parts still under
"nemo" > wrote in message
k...

> Suzie-Q > wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
> > anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
> > important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
> > and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
> > any other dairy product without serious consequences.

> That's why they call it Anaphy-lactic shock. )
> >
> > Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?
> >

> There are some available, made from soya, but they're not to my taste.
> Nemo

Megan Milligan

I found two out there I really like: O'Soy and Silk soy yogurts. A Tad
expensive but worth it since i haven't been able to find anu cultures sold
locally to make my own soy yogurt.

Megan

--
Megan Milligan
Desert Rose Musings (www.desertrosemusings.com) (parts still under
construction)
Cal-Neva Animal Rescue (http://www.desertrosemusings.com/cal...scue/index.htm)
"nemo" > wrote in message
k...

> Suzie-Q > wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
> > anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
> > important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
> > and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
> > any other dairy product without serious consequences.

> That's why they call it Anaphy-lactic shock. )
> >
> > Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?
> >

> There are some available, made from soya, but they're not to my taste.
> Nemo

katie

ooo...i like the so nice brand yogurt. peachy goodness. i tried one other
brand that was so absolutely nasty that even a tablespoon of it in a
smoothie completely ruined the whole smoothie so that i couldn't even choke
it down. uuughhh....gross. so yeah, the so nice brand is great, thank god!
but i don't use it in smoothies. i just use fruit n' soymilk n' a splash of
oil blend. you get a blend that's nice and yogurtey thick if you use frozen
fruit for part of it. dunno. seems to turn out well. anyhow, hope you can
find something you like.

"Megan Milligan" > wrote in message
> I found two out there I really like: O'Soy and Silk soy yogurts. A Tad
> expensive but worth it since i haven't been able to find anu cultures sold
> locally to make my own soy yogurt.
>
> Megan
>
> --
> Megan Milligan
> Desert Rose Musings (www.desertrosemusings.com) (parts still under
> construction)
> Cal-Neva Animal Rescue (http://www.desertrosemusings.com/cal...scue/index.htm)
> "nemo" > wrote in message
> k...
> >
> > Suzie-Q > wrote in message
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I'm not vegan or vegitarian, but I'm hoping you all will help me
> > > anyway. I often make a smoothie for breakfast. One of the most
> > > important ingredients imho is yogurt. It makes the smoothie creamy
> > > and thick. But now I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat yogurt or
> > > any other dairy product without serious consequences.

> > That's why they call it Anaphy-lactic shock. )
> > >
> > > Do you know of a non-dairy yogurt substitute that I can use?
> > >

> > There are some available, made from soya, but they're not to my taste.
> > Nemo

Megan Milligan

I find that soy milk and a banana (if you like bananas) are more than enough
to give a nice smooth consistency to vegan smoothies. and if you add enough
soy milk to make the smoothy liquidy, you have a nice fruit soup for a
breakfast, a light lunch or dessert.

--
Megan Milligan
Desert Rose Musings (www.desertrosemusings.com) (parts still under
construction)
Cal-Neva Animal Rescue (http://www.desertrosemusings.com/cal...scue/index.htm)

"katie" > wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
> ooo...i like the so nice brand yogurt. peachy goodness. i tried one

other
> brand that was so absolutely nasty that even a tablespoon of it in a
> smoothie completely ruined the whole smoothie so that i couldn't even

choke
> it down. uuughhh....gross. so yeah, the so nice brand is great, thank

god!
> but i don't use it in smoothies. i just use fruit n' soymilk n' a splash

of
> oil blend. you get a blend that's nice and yogurtey thick if you use

frozen
> fruit for part of it. dunno. seems to turn out well. anyhow, hope you

can
> find something you like.

---

Megan Milligan

I find that soy milk and a banana (if you like bananas) are more than enough
to give a nice smooth consistency to vegan smoothies. and if you add enough
soy milk to make the smoothy liquidy, you have a nice fruit soup for a
breakfast, a light lunch or dessert.

--
Megan Milligan
Desert Rose Musings (www.desertrosemusings.com) (parts still under
construction)
Cal-Neva Animal Rescue (http://www.desertrosemusings.com/cal...scue/index.htm)

"katie" > wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
> ooo...i like the so nice brand yogurt. peachy goodness. i tried one

other
> brand that was so absolutely nasty that even a tablespoon of it in a
> smoothie completely ruined the whole smoothie so that i couldn't even

choke
> it down. uuughhh....gross. so yeah, the so nice brand is great, thank

god!
> but i don't use it in smoothies. i just use fruit n' soymilk n' a splash

of
> oil blend. you get a blend that's nice and yogurtey thick if you use

frozen
> fruit for part of it. dunno. seems to turn out well. anyhow, hope you

can
> find something you like.

---

Yogurt Dora General Cooking 1 14-10-2010 02:23 AM
Yogurt notbob General Cooking 32 31-08-2010 05:41 PM
Yogurt as yogurt starter Jonathan Sachs General Cooking 22 04-11-2007 07:17 PM
Yogurt Making troubleshooting - OK to use "bad" batch of yogurt? [email protected] General Cooking 2 21-09-2006 04:19 AM
Help! Need a substitute Teri General Cooking 22 06-10-2005 11:36 PM