phurren

Default Vegan restaurants - New York, Nashville, Memphis

I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Vegan restaurants and/or food
shops in any of these places? Any help would be appreciated and will
certainly earn me a lot of brownie points!!

Many thanks in advance,
Pete
BlueHeron

I was in Manhatten this past weekend for the Fifth HOPE
(http://www.the-fifth-hope.org/). I was staying across the street from
Penn Station, and must say, I was not overly impressed with what I saw
of the city. Maybe my expectations were just too high, or maybe
Montreal is really just that much better. A NY bagel has got /nothing/
on a Montreal bagel.

However, Viva Natural Vegetarian Pizzeria on 64 East 34th St (between
Park and Maddison), was a real treat. Unfortunately, they are closed
Friday night and Saturday, but their bocolli/garlic/tomato/spinach pizza
on thin whole-wheat crust was really quite tasty, as are their juices.

I also went to an Irish pub called Fenly's and had a portabello and
vegetable wrap (ask for no cheese!), which was really quite excellent,
however they ran out of Guiness right before I got there.

Also, check out http://www.happycow.net/ for a more comprehensive listing.

-- Blue

phurren wrote:
> I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
> taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
> there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
> staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for Vegan restaurants and/or food
> shops in any of these places? Any help would be appreciated and will
> certainly earn me a lot of brownie points!!
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Pete

BlueHeron

phurren wrote:
> I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
> taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
> there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
> staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for Vegan restaurants and/or food
> shops in any of these places? Any help would be appreciated and will
> certainly earn me a lot of brownie points!!
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Pete

T5NF

Pete wrote:
>I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
>taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
>there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
>staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for Vegan restaurants and/or food
>shops in any of these places? Any help would be appreciated and will
>certainly earn me a lot of brownie points!!
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>Pete

What a guy! :-) Here's a link directly to the New York City page on the
Happycow website where you'll find 50 restaurants listed to choose from + 16
stores:

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...city/manhattan
/index.html

In NYC, I love the Madras Cafe (awesome Indian food) and Sacred Chow for a
quick bite or breakfast. Just about every place I've eaten in New York has had
something for vegans even if it wasn't a vegan restaurant ....just stay away
from chain type places and you'll be fine.

Pickings are pretty slim in Nashville & Memphis but there are a few places
listed on the Happycow site. As I've never been to Memphis or Nashville, I
haven't any personal recommendations. The Happycow site will probably be able
to help you out with places to stop en route as well. Best of luck!

T5NF

Pete wrote:
>I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
>taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
>there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
>staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for Vegan restaurants and/or food
>shops in any of these places? Any help would be appreciated and will
>certainly earn me a lot of brownie points!!
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>Pete

What a guy! :-) Here's a link directly to the New York City page on the
Happycow website where you'll find 50 restaurants listed to choose from + 16
stores:

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...city/manhattan
/index.html

In NYC, I love the Madras Cafe (awesome Indian food) and Sacred Chow for a
quick bite or breakfast. Just about every place I've eaten in New York has had
something for vegans even if it wasn't a vegan restaurant ....just stay away
from chain type places and you'll be fine.

Pickings are pretty slim in Nashville & Memphis but there are a few places
listed on the Happycow site. As I've never been to Memphis or Nashville, I
haven't any personal recommendations. The Happycow site will probably be able
to help you out with places to stop en route as well. Best of luck!

hamilton

not to ruin a good thing, but import guinness is brewed with beef tallow

"BlueHeron" > wrote in message
.. .
> I was in Manhatten this past weekend for the Fifth HOPE
> (http://www.the-fifth-hope.org/). I was staying across the street from
> Penn Station, and must say, I was not overly impressed with what I saw
> of the city. Maybe my expectations were just too high, or maybe
> Montreal is really just that much better. A NY bagel has got /nothing/
> on a Montreal bagel.
>
> However, Viva Natural Vegetarian Pizzeria on 64 East 34th St (between
> Park and Maddison), was a real treat. Unfortunately, they are closed
> Friday night and Saturday, but their bocolli/garlic/tomato/spinach pizza
> on thin whole-wheat crust was really quite tasty, as are their juices.
>
> I also went to an Irish pub called Fenly's and had a portabello and
> vegetable wrap (ask for no cheese!), which was really quite excellent,
> however they ran out of Guiness right before I got there.
>
> Also, check out http://www.happycow.net/ for a more comprehensive listing.
>
> -- Blue
>
> phurren wrote:
> > I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
> > taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
> > there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
> > staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for Vegan restaurants and/or food
> > shops in any of these places? Any help would be appreciated and will
> > certainly earn me a lot of brownie points!!
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> > Pete

hamilton

not to ruin a good thing, but import guinness is brewed with beef tallow

"BlueHeron" > wrote in message
.. .
> I was in Manhatten this past weekend for the Fifth HOPE
> (http://www.the-fifth-hope.org/). I was staying across the street from
> Penn Station, and must say, I was not overly impressed with what I saw
> of the city. Maybe my expectations were just too high, or maybe
> Montreal is really just that much better. A NY bagel has got /nothing/
> on a Montreal bagel.
>
> However, Viva Natural Vegetarian Pizzeria on 64 East 34th St (between
> Park and Maddison), was a real treat. Unfortunately, they are closed
> Friday night and Saturday, but their bocolli/garlic/tomato/spinach pizza
> on thin whole-wheat crust was really quite tasty, as are their juices.
>
> I also went to an Irish pub called Fenly's and had a portabello and
> vegetable wrap (ask for no cheese!), which was really quite excellent,
> however they ran out of Guiness right before I got there.
>
> Also, check out http://www.happycow.net/ for a more comprehensive listing.
>
> -- Blue
>
> phurren wrote:
> > I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
> > taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
> > there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
> > staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for Vegan restaurants and/or food
> > shops in any of these places? Any help would be appreciated and will
> > certainly earn me a lot of brownie points!!
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> > Pete

Jennifer Huebl

In article >,
says...
> I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
> taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
> there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
> staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.

This is my favorite resource for veggie restaurant listings:

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/usa/index.html

The BEST vegan place in NYC hands down is VP2 in the Village. I've never
met anyone (veggie or not) who doesn't love that place. And the prices
are incredibly reasonable as well. It's not to be missed!!

J.C.
BlueHeron

hamilton wrote:
> not to ruin a good thing, but import guinness is brewed with beef tallow

And where does this information come from?

True beer contains only 4 ingredients:

water
yeast
hops
barley

Guinness is made only with those four ingredients
(http://www.guinness.com/guinness/en_...125624,00.html).

-- Blue
menu boy

"hamilton" > wrote in message
> not to ruin a good thing, but import guinness is brewed with beef tallow

Please provide proof.

phurren

(T5NF) wrote in message >...
> Pete wrote:
> >I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
> >taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
> >there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
> >staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.
> >
> >Does anyone have any suggestions for Vegan restaurants and/or food
> >shops in any of these places? Any help would be appreciated and will
> >certainly earn me a lot of brownie points!!
> >
> >Many thanks in advance,
> >Pete

> What a guy! :-) Here's a link directly to the New York City page on the
> Happycow website where you'll find 50 restaurants listed to choose from + 16
> stores:

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...city/manhattan
> /index.html
>
> In NYC, I love the Madras Cafe (awesome Indian food) and Sacred Chow for a
> quick bite or breakfast. Just about every place I've eaten in New York has had
> something for vegans even if it wasn't a vegan restaurant ....just stay away
> from chain type places and you'll be fine.
>
> Pickings are pretty slim in Nashville & Memphis but there are a few places
> listed on the Happycow site. As I've never been to Memphis or Nashville, I
> haven't any personal recommendations. The Happycow site will probably be able
> to help you out with places to stop en route as well. Best of luck!

Thanks very much for the help!
phurren

Jennifer Huebl > wrote in message nk.net>...
> In article >,
> says...
> > I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
> > taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
> > there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
> > staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.

> This is my favorite resource for veggie restaurant listings:

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/usa/index.html

> The BEST vegan place in NYC hands down is VP2 in the Village. I've never
> met anyone (veggie or not) who doesn't love that place. And the prices
> are incredibly reasonable as well. It's not to be missed!!
>
> J.C.

Thanks for the help!
phurren

BlueHeron > wrote in message > ...
> I was in Manhatten this past weekend for the Fifth HOPE
> (http://www.the-fifth-hope.org/). I was staying across the street from
> Penn Station, and must say, I was not overly impressed with what I saw
> of the city. Maybe my expectations were just too high, or maybe
> Montreal is really just that much better. A NY bagel has got /nothing/
> on a Montreal bagel.
>
> However, Viva Natural Vegetarian Pizzeria on 64 East 34th St (between
> Park and Maddison), was a real treat. Unfortunately, they are closed
> Friday night and Saturday, but their bocolli/garlic/tomato/spinach pizza
> on thin whole-wheat crust was really quite tasty, as are their juices.
>
> I also went to an Irish pub called Fenly's and had a portabello and
> vegetable wrap (ask for no cheese!), which was really quite excellent,
> however they ran out of Guiness right before I got there.
>
> Also, check out http://www.happycow.net/ for a more comprehensive listing.
>
> -- Blue
>
> phurren wrote:
> > I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
> > taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
> > there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
> > staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for Vegan restaurants and/or food
> > shops in any of these places? Any help would be appreciated and will
> > certainly earn me a lot of brownie points!!
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> > Pete

Thanks for the help
hamilton

i don't have written proof. it was during their brewery tour, though. get to
ireland and hear it for yourself

"menu boy" > wrote in message

> "hamilton" > wrote in message
> > not to ruin a good thing, but import guinness is brewed with beef tallow

> Please provide proof.

menu boy

"hamilton" > wrote in message
> i don't have written proof. it was during their brewery tour, though. get

> ireland and hear it for yourself

According to Guinness they do not use any meat products in their
beer, including beef tallow.

Jennifer Huebl

> > The BEST vegan place in NYC hands down is VP2 in the Village. I've never
> > met anyone (veggie or not) who doesn't love that place. And the prices
> > are incredibly reasonable as well. It's not to be missed!!

As a followup to my own post.... =}

There's a chocolate shop near VP2 called Varsanos
(http://www.kfspr.com/marc/) that is to die for. Most of their dark
chocolate is vegan and it's all freshly made -- it's the best IMO. The
owner is a very kind man who answers all ingredient questions. He
mentioned once that a lot of vegans stop in his store.

There's tons of other vegan places/resources in the Village, but a trip
to VP2 and Varsanos and some general strolling in that area will make
for a very nice time.

J.C.
hamilton

fine. i'm liar. i never took the tour and never heard that uttered.
whatever.

"menu boy" > wrote in message

> "hamilton" > wrote in message
> > i don't have written proof. it was during their brewery tour, though.

get
> > ireland and hear it for yourself
> >

> According to Guinness they do not use any meat products in their
> beer, including beef tallow.

menu boy

"hamilton" > wrote in message
> fine. i'm liar. i never took the tour and never heard that uttered.
> whatever.

I guess so, because Guinness would be in violation of
several laws for mislabeling. You can email them yourself.
www.guinness.com
I've forwared your claim to the FDA too. If they are lying, then
they will be questioned by them.

menu boy

"hamilton" > wrote in message
> fine. i'm liar. i never took the tour and never heard that uttered.
> whatever.

When I *specifically* asked them if beef tallow was in
any of their beers, this is what they said:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in
Guinness Draught nutritional
information. In reference to your inquiry, isinglass, a fish product, is
used during the clarification process
as a magnet to get rid of excess yeast. To the strict Vegan, this would be
an animal product and unsuitable.
I hope this helps. Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely
Nicholas L
Guinness Consumer Response Representative

menu boy

"hamilton" > wrote in message
> fine. i'm liar. i never took the tour and never heard that uttered.
> whatever.

When I *specifically* asked them if beef tallow was in
any of their beers, this is what they said:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in
Guinness Draught nutritional
information. In reference to your inquiry, isinglass, a fish product, is
used during the clarification process
as a magnet to get rid of excess yeast. To the strict Vegan, this would be
an animal product and unsuitable.
I hope this helps. Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely
Nicholas L
Guinness Consumer Response Representative

T5NF

Jen wrote:
<snip>
>As a followup to my own post.... =}
>
>There's a chocolate shop near VP2 called Varsanos
>(http://www.kfspr.com/marc/) that is to die for. Most of their dark
>chocolate is vegan and it's all freshly made -- it's the best IMO. The
>owner is a very kind man who answers all ingredient questions. He
>mentioned once that a lot of vegans stop in his store.

Yum yum yum....thanks, that's good to know :-). Have you ever tried the
'sinner bars' at Sacred Chow? They're soo good.. I figured out a way to make
them at home since I don't get to NYC as much as I used to...nice thing about
Sacred Chow is that there's no question about whether it's vegan or not and
they use mostly organic ingredients too.

>There's tons of other vegan places/resources in the Village, but a trip
>to VP2 and Varsanos and some general strolling in that area will make
>for a very nice time.

I second the suggestion for Vegetarian Paradise...VP1 (which used to be @
Bowery & Canal and is no longer around) was the first strictly veg place I ever
ate at nearly 20 years ago...there's a VP3 on Mott St. too.. if you go in the
afternoon, ask for the lunch menu (they don't voluntarily give it out but it's
got great lunch deals).
hamilton

alright. this would only apply to imported guiness from ireland, though. as
opposed to us guinness which is brewed in canada.

"menu boy" > wrote in message

> "hamilton" > wrote in message
> > fine. i'm liar. i never took the tour and never heard that uttered.
> > whatever.
> >

> I guess so, because Guinness would be in violation of
> several laws for mislabeling. You can email them yourself.
> www.guinness.com
> I've forwared your claim to the FDA too. If they are lying, then
> they will be questioned by them.

hamilton