Old 12-07-2004, 06:01 PM
phurren

Default Vegan restaurants - New York, Nashville, Memphis

I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Vegan restaurants and/or food
shops in any of these places? Any help would be appreciated and will
certainly earn me a lot of brownie points!!

Many thanks in advance,
Pete

Old 12-07-2004, 07:55 PM
BlueHeron

I was in Manhatten this past weekend for the Fifth HOPE
(http://www.the-fifth-hope.org/). I was staying across the street from
Penn Station, and must say, I was not overly impressed with what I saw
of the city. Maybe my expectations were just too high, or maybe
Montreal is really just that much better. A NY bagel has got /nothing/
on a Montreal bagel.

However, Viva Natural Vegetarian Pizzeria on 64 East 34th St (between
Park and Maddison), was a real treat. Unfortunately, they are closed
Friday night and Saturday, but their bocolli/garlic/tomato/spinach pizza
on thin whole-wheat crust was really quite tasty, as are their juices.

I also went to an Irish pub called Fenly's and had a portabello and
vegetable wrap (ask for no cheese!), which was really quite excellent,
however they ran out of Guiness right before I got there.

Also, check out http://www.happycow.net/ for a more comprehensive listing.

-- Blue

Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 PM
T5NF

Pete wrote:
I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Vegan restaurants and/or food
shops in any of these places? Any help would be appreciated and will
certainly earn me a lot of brownie points!!

Many thanks in advance,
Pete

What a guy! :-) Here's a link directly to the New York City page on the
Happycow website where you'll find 50 restaurants listed to choose from + 16
stores:

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...city/manhattan
/index.html

In NYC, I love the Madras Cafe (awesome Indian food) and Sacred Chow for a
quick bite or breakfast. Just about every place I've eaten in New York has had
something for vegans even if it wasn't a vegan restaurant ....just stay away
from chain type places and you'll be fine.

Pickings are pretty slim in Nashville & Memphis but there are a few places
listed on the Happycow site. As I've never been to Memphis or Nashville, I
haven't any personal recommendations. The Happycow site will probably be able
to help you out with places to stop en route as well. Best of luck!

Old 13-07-2004, 01:50 AM
Jennifer Huebl

In article ,
says...
I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.

This is my favorite resource for veggie restaurant listings:

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/usa/index.html

The BEST vegan place in NYC hands down is VP2 in the Village. I've never
met anyone (veggie or not) who doesn't love that place. And the prices
are incredibly reasonable as well. It's not to be missed!!

J.C.
Old 13-07-2004, 04:16 AM
BlueHeron

hamilton wrote:
not to ruin a good thing, but import guinness is brewed with beef tallow

And where does this information come from?

True beer contains only 4 ingredients:

water
yeast
hops
barley

Guinness is made only with those four ingredients
(http://www.guinness.com/guinness/en_...125624,00.html).

-- Blue
Old 13-07-2004, 05:51 PM
menu boy

"hamilton" wrote in message
not to ruin a good thing, but import guinness is brewed with beef tallow

Please provide proof.

Old 13-07-2004, 06:07 PM
phurren

(T5NF) wrote in message ...
Pete wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much for the help!
Old 13-07-2004, 06:07 PM
phurren

Jennifer Huebl wrote in message nk.net...
In article ,
says...
I've recently started seeing someone who is a vegan. We're going to be
taking a trip in a couple of weeks - flying to New York and staying
there for 2 days, then driving to Memphis via Nashville. We'll be
staying in Memphis for about 1 days, then returning to New York.

This is my favorite resource for veggie restaurant listings:

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/usa/index.html

The BEST vegan place in NYC hands down is VP2 in the Village. I've never
met anyone (veggie or not) who doesn't love that place. And the prices
are incredibly reasonable as well. It's not to be missed!!

J.C.

Thanks for the help!

Old 13-07-2004, 10:28 PM
hamilton

i don't have written proof. it was during their brewery tour, though. get to
ireland and hear it for yourself

Old 14-07-2004, 12:36 AM
menu boy

"hamilton" wrote in message
i don't have written proof. it was during their brewery tour, though. get

ireland and hear it for yourself

According to Guinness they do not use any meat products in their
beer, including beef tallow.