katie

Default favourite tofu marinades?

mmm...that balsamic dressing post got me thinking about tofu marinades.
what's everyone's fave ways to marinade/flavour tofu? i usually just go for
the mushroom sauce (veg oyster), garlic, onion, chili powder, and sesame oil
type one. sometimes with some soy sauce. looking for some other neato ways
to try though. so...? ()

MrFalafel

"katie" > wrote in message gers.com>...
> mmm...that balsamic dressing post got me thinking about tofu marinades.
> what's everyone's fave ways to marinade/flavour tofu? i usually just go for
> the mushroom sauce (veg oyster), garlic, onion, chili powder, and sesame oil
> type one. sometimes with some soy sauce. looking for some other neato ways
> to try though. so...? ()

Jamaican Jerk Marinade:

1/2 large white onion, roughly choppped
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
juice of 2 limes
zest of 1 lime
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp unrefined sugar
1 tbsp dried thyme
2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (or use a Habenero/Scotch Bonnet)
T5NF

katie wrote:
<snip>
>fave ways to marinade/flavour tofu? i usually just go for
>the mushroom sauce (veg oyster), garlic, onion, chili powder, and sesame oil
>type one. sometimes with some soy sauce.

Yum...that sounds good. One of my favorites is a mixture of mint, sage,
turmeric, garlic, cider vinegar, grape juice, lemon juice, nutritional yeast,
tamari, and water. I marinade the tofu (thawed/pressed/extra firm) for about a
half hour, then dredge it in a mixture of nutritional yeast, sage, salt & brown
rice flour then shallow fry in a cast iron skillet for about 4 minutes on each
side...after the tofu is done, I take the leftover flour/nutr. yeast mixture
and pan fry it for a minute or two, then thin with some of the leftover
marinade to make gravy....not the healthiest dish, but very tasty. I usually
do a few packs of tofu at a time so that there are leftovers to take for lunch.

katie

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> "katie" > wrote in message

gers.com>...
> > mmm...that balsamic dressing post got me thinking about tofu marinades.
> > what's everyone's fave ways to marinade/flavour tofu? i usually just go

for
> > the mushroom sauce (veg oyster), garlic, onion, chili powder, and sesame

oil
> > type one. sometimes with some soy sauce. looking for some other neato

ways
> > to try though. so...? ()

> Jamaican Jerk Marinade:
>
> 1/2 large white onion, roughly choppped
> 4 cloves garlic
> 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
> juice of 2 limes
> zest of 1 lime
> 2 tbsp soy sauce
> 2 tbsp olive oil
> 1 tbsp unrefined sugar
> 1 tbsp dried thyme
> 2 tsp allspice
> 1/2 tsp cayenne
> 1 tsp nutmeg
> 1/2 tsp cinnamon
> 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (or use a Habenero/Scotch Bonnet)

sounds neato. what do you do with it? is it like, the centre of the meal
served with sides, or do you put it 'in' something?

katie

"T5NF" > wrote in message
> katie wrote:
> <snip>
> >fave ways to marinade/flavour tofu? i usually just go for
> >the mushroom sauce (veg oyster), garlic, onion, chili powder, and sesame

oil
> >type one. sometimes with some soy sauce.

> Yum...that sounds good. One of my favorites is a mixture of mint, sage,
> turmeric, garlic, cider vinegar, grape juice, lemon juice, nutritional

yeast,
> tamari, and water. I marinade the tofu (thawed/pressed/extra firm) for

about a
> half hour, then dredge it in a mixture of nutritional yeast, sage, salt &

brown
> rice flour then shallow fry in a cast iron skillet for about 4 minutes on

each
> side...after the tofu is done, I take the leftover flour/nutr. yeast

mixture
> and pan fry it for a minute or two, then thin with some of the leftover
> marinade to make gravy....not the healthiest dish, but very tasty. I

usually
> do a few packs of tofu at a time so that there are leftovers to take for

lunch.

mmm...that sounds yummy. seems like a lot of work though! () reminds me
i have to try making beer battered tofu. mmm...

Momzilla

"katie" > wrote in message
ers.com...

> "T5NF" > wrote in message
> > katie wrote:
> > <snip>
>> mmm...that sounds yummy. seems like a lot of work though! () reminds

me
> i have to try making beer battered tofu. mmm...

Beer Battered Tofu? Is than when you get drunk pummel a block of tofu?
forgive me, I'm under a lot of stress.

Beer battter can be easy to make. I use beer and self rising flour or beer
and pancake mix (add what seasonings you desire). What is really good is
when you roll the batter dipped items in Chickpea flour before frying.
Mmmmm. I need more chickpea flour.

T5NF

katie wrote:
<snip>
>mmm...that sounds yummy. seems like a lot of work though! ()

Sounds like more work than it is...I throw the marinade together in about 5
minutes, then while the tofu sits in it, I'll prep the rest of the veg for
dinner and start the frying....about midway through the tofu I start steaming
vegetables...mind you, I often use 2 skillets to do the tofu. It's not
something I do every day...usually on a sunday when I have plenty of time and a
bit more energy than the rest of the week ;-).

> reminds me
>i have to try making beer battered tofu. mmm...

Especially good if you throw some cider vinegar & tamari on the tofu
beforehand.

katie

"Momzilla" > wrote in message

> "katie" > wrote in message
> ers.com...
> >
> > "T5NF" > wrote in message
> > > katie wrote:
> > > <snip>
> >> mmm...that sounds yummy. seems like a lot of work though! ()

reminds
> me
> > i have to try making beer battered tofu. mmm...
> >

> Beer Battered Tofu? Is than when you get drunk pummel a block of tofu?
> forgive me, I'm under a lot of stress.
>
> Beer battter can be easy to make. I use beer and self rising flour or beer
> and pancake mix (add what seasonings you desire). What is really good is
> when you roll the batter dipped items in Chickpea flour before frying.
> Mmmmm. I need more chickpea flour.

mmmm...thanks for the great tips! () can't wait to get cookin!

MrFalafel

"katie" > wrote in message gers.com>...
> "MrFalafel" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "katie" > wrote in message

> gers.com>...
> > > mmm...that balsamic dressing post got me thinking about tofu marinades.
> > > what's everyone's fave ways to marinade/flavour tofu? i usually just go

> for
> > > the mushroom sauce (veg oyster), garlic, onion, chili powder, and sesame

> oil
> > > type one. sometimes with some soy sauce. looking for some other neato

> ways
> > > to try though. so...? ()

> > Jamaican Jerk Marinade:
> >
> > 1/2 large white onion, roughly choppped
> > 4 cloves garlic
> > 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
> > juice of 2 limes
> > zest of 1 lime
> > 2 tbsp soy sauce
> > 2 tbsp olive oil
> > 1 tbsp unrefined sugar
> > 1 tbsp dried thyme
> > 2 tsp allspice
> > 1/2 tsp cayenne
> > 1 tsp nutmeg
> > 1/2 tsp cinnamon
> > 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (or use a Habenero/Scotch Bonnet)

> sounds neato. what do you do with it? is it like, the centre of the meal
> served with sides, or do you put it 'in' something?

I cut firm tofu into cubes and marinate them in the jerk sauce for
half an hour, remove the tofu cubes from the sauce and place them on a
baking sheet and then bake them in the oven until crispy. I'll pour
the remaining jerk sauce over the cubes when serving.

I'll serve this with garlic sweet potato mash: peel a couple of sweet
potatoes and cut them up into chunks and place in a pan of water to
boil. Add 5 peeled whole cloves of garlic and boil until potatoes are
soft. Drain, reserving the garlic cloves, and mash with a little bit
of margarine.

And don't forget the big garden salad on the side.

Goes great with Bob Marley CDs.
MrFalafel

"Momzilla" > wrote in message >...
> "katie" > wrote in message
> ers.com...
> >
> > "T5NF" > wrote in message
> > > katie wrote:
> > > <snip>
> >> mmm...that sounds yummy. seems like a lot of work though! () reminds

> me
> > i have to try making beer battered tofu. mmm...
> >

> Beer Battered Tofu? Is than when you get drunk pummel a block of tofu?
> forgive me, I'm under a lot of stress.
>
> Beer battter can be easy to make. I use beer and self rising flour or beer
> and pancake mix (add what seasonings you desire). What is really good is
> when you roll the batter dipped items in Chickpea flour before frying.
> Mmmmm. I need more chickpea flour.

Here's my recipe for battered tofu:

British Style 'Fish' & Chips

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 cup beer (bitter or stout)
a good sprinkling of paprika
pinch of salt and pepper
One pound firm tofu, frozen and thawed
a whole bunch of oil
Malt Vinegar
Frozen chips or 3 potatoes hewn into finger shapes

Method
A couple of hours before you eat (preferably the day before) drain
your tofu. Place the tofu into a bowl of malt vinegar and put it in
the fridge. You don't really need to cover the tofu with it, but the
more the better. Let it marinade for as long as you can, at least a
couple of hours.

To make the beer batter, simply mix the equal amounts of flour and
beer along with the spices. Pretty much anything will work fine.

Dump a whole bunch of oil into a deep pan or wok until it's about two
inches deep and heat it up on a nice hot stove burner. Cook up your
chips and place them in a warm oven.

While it's heating, take the marinated tofu out of the fridge and pat
it dry. Cut it lengthwise into bars about two inches wide. When the
oil's real hot, dunk the tofu bars into the batter and toss 'em in the
oil one by one. Be sure they're coated thoroughly with the batter!

Drizzle a bit more batter on top of the floating tofu peice
immediatlely, to give them a funny shape. Deep fry them until the
batter turns a nice golden brown, and be careful to not let them stick
together. Fish them out and place them on some more paper towels.
Serve right away!

usual suspect

katie wrote:
> mmm...that balsamic dressing post got me thinking about tofu marinades.
> what's everyone's fave ways to marinade/flavour tofu? i usually just go for
> the mushroom sauce (veg oyster), garlic, onion, chili powder, and sesame oil
> type one. sometimes with some soy sauce. looking for some other neato ways
> to try though. so...? ()

Try dry-rubbing it. You can use commercially prepared seasonings like a Cajun
spice blend, Spike, or a BBQ rub. If you want to make your own, use herbs and
spices you like.

One of my favorite marinades is minced garlic, minced red onion, minced fresh
chilis (jalapeño, serrano, whatever you have), fresh pureed tropical fruits
(mango, pineapple, papaya, etc.; if you make a lot, reserve some for smoothies
or to drink by itself), cilantro, and salt and pepper.

Another is a lime-chili dressing: minced garlic, fresh lime juice, ground red
chilis (you can use chili powder, but it'll probably have cumin and other
spices, and probably salt, in it), salt and pepper, and oil. Whisk while slowly
drizzling the oil into the other ingredients. It's good on salads (especially
one with lots of avocados and heated corn tortillas), but also will work as a
tofu (or anything else) marinade.

If you like really hot stuff, get a small tin of chipotle peppers in adobo
sauce. Put the chilis and sauce into a blender or food processor and whiz into a
puree. Use that as a marinade by itself.

Finally, look up adobo recipes using Google and find one as simple or complex as
you like and substitute tofu for the chicken, pork, etc., in the recipe you
like. You could also use canned adobo sauce (if you can find it up yonder) as a
marinade, but fresh is always best.

katie

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> "katie" > wrote in message

gers.com>...
> > "MrFalafel" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > "katie" > wrote in message

> > gers.com>...

marinades.

just go
> > for

sesame
> > oil

neato
> > ways
> > >
> > > Jamaican Jerk Marinade:
> > >
> > > 1/2 large white onion, roughly choppped
> > > 4 cloves garlic
> > > 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
> > > juice of 2 limes
> > > zest of 1 lime
> > > 2 tbsp soy sauce
> > > 2 tbsp olive oil
> > > 1 tbsp unrefined sugar
> > > 1 tbsp dried thyme
> > > 2 tsp allspice
> > > 1/2 tsp cayenne
> > > 1 tsp nutmeg
> > > 1/2 tsp cinnamon
> > > 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (or use a Habenero/Scotch

Bonnet)

> > sounds neato. what do you do with it? is it like, the centre of the

meal
> > served with sides, or do you put it 'in' something?

> I cut firm tofu into cubes and marinate them in the jerk sauce for
> half an hour, remove the tofu cubes from the sauce and place them on a
> baking sheet and then bake them in the oven until crispy. I'll pour
> the remaining jerk sauce over the cubes when serving.
>
> I'll serve this with garlic sweet potato mash: peel a couple of sweet
> potatoes and cut them up into chunks and place in a pan of water to
> boil. Add 5 peeled whole cloves of garlic and boil until potatoes are
> soft. Drain, reserving the garlic cloves, and mash with a little bit
> of margarine.
>
> And don't forget the big garden salad on the side.
>
> Goes great with Bob Marley CDs.

mmm...sounds great! thanks for sharing! ()