Wohali

Default BK Veggie Changed?

I know the buns aren't vegan, but when did BK change the recipe for the
patty? Their website says it isn't vegan. "Note: This is NOT a VEGAN
product."

Looks like the flavorings are to blame they don't inform if they're
vegetarian.

http://www.burgerking.com/Food/Nutri...gredients.aspx
usual suspect

Wohali wrote:

> I know the buns aren't vegan, but when did BK change the recipe for the
> patty? Their website says it isn't vegan. "Note: This is NOT a VEGAN
> product."
>

> Looks like the flavorings are to blame they don't inform if they're
> vegetarian.
>
> http://www.burgerking.com/Food/Nutri...gredients.aspx

They never changed it. It never was vegan.

Rubystars

"Wohali" > wrote in message
> I know the buns aren't vegan, but when did BK change the recipe for the
> patty? Their website says it isn't vegan. "Note: This is NOT a VEGAN
> product."
>

> Looks like the flavorings are to blame they don't inform if they're
> vegetarian.

Assume it was cooked on the same grill as the meat patties. Therefore, no.

-Rubystars

That One Guy

I just had one about ten minutes ago, it tates like it always has.
It's never been vegan (it has mayo on it and + the bun). Great for
the on-the-go- vegetarian though.
- Matt
Wohali

Thank you both. I knew the bun wasn't vegan. Maybe they're
referring to the entire "product" instead of just the patty.

It's a quick bite that I can eat on the road, even though it
ain't vegan.

MrFalafel

Wohali > wrote in message >...
> Thank you both. I knew the bun wasn't vegan. Maybe they're
> referring to the entire "product" instead of just the patty.
>
> It's a quick bite that I can eat on the road, even though it
> ain't vegan.

Lots of alternatives to BK for veggie food on the road. Check out this
great website that lists the vegan selections from the major
restaurant chains.
http://www.sword2skyvegan.net/selections.html
usual suspect

Rubystars wrote:
>>I know the buns aren't vegan, but when did BK change the recipe for the
>>patty? Their website says it isn't vegan. "Note: This is NOT a VEGAN
>>product."
>>

>>Looks like the flavorings are to blame they don't inform if they're
>>vegetarian.

> Assume it was cooked on the same grill as the meat patties. Therefore, no.

If one is willing enough to sacrifice phony ethical principles to eat a Veggie
Whopper, one should also be willing to accept that the little bit of grease from
their broiler is as insignificant as the dairy in their bun or egg in the mayo.
Regardless, BK employees will happily heat the Veggie Whopper patty in a
microwave if asked. Have it your way.

Chad Michael Mallett

My friend is a Manager at Burger King and she noticed a new sign that says
the Veggie Burgers are not vegan or vegetarian. And she showed me the
ingredients. It has "natural flavoring" and other stuff in it. So it makes
you wonder. She said they used to be vegan, but they changed them.

-chad-

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> Rubystars wrote:
> >>I know the buns aren't vegan, but when did BK change the recipe for the
> >>patty? Their website says it isn't vegan. "Note: This is NOT a VEGAN
> >>product."
> >>

> >>Looks like the flavorings are to blame they don't inform if they're
> >>vegetarian.

> > Assume it was cooked on the same grill as the meat patties. Therefore,

no.

> If one is willing enough to sacrifice phony ethical principles to eat a

Veggie
> Whopper, one should also be willing to accept that the little bit of

grease from
> their broiler is as insignificant as the dairy in their bun or egg in the

mayo.
> Regardless, BK employees will happily heat the Veggie Whopper patty in a
> microwave if asked. Have it your way.

Chad Michael Mallett

Suicide is not Chosen; It happens when Pain Exceeds Resources for Coping
with Pain.

http://www.jokerstears.com

http://www.dacruestudios.com
"wowfabgroovy" > wrote in message
> "Chad Michael Mallett" > went:
>
> >My friend is a Manager at Burger King and she noticed a new sign that

says
> >the Veggie Burgers are not vegan or vegetarian. And she showed me the
> >ingredients. It has "natural flavoring" and other stuff in it. So it

makes
> >you wonder. She said they used to be vegan, but they changed them.
> >
> > -chad-
> >

> why would a veg*an want to eat at burger king anyway? those places
> stink. it smells bad enough walking past the door without going in
> one.

Well not everyone has a supermarket to fit their needs. Some of us have to
make due with what we got.

Daniel Miller

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 06:37:17 -0500, "Chad Michael Mallett"
> wrote:

>My friend is a Manager at Burger King and she noticed a new sign that says
>the Veggie Burgers are not vegan or vegetarian. And she showed me the
>ingredients. It has "natural flavoring" and other stuff in it. So it makes
>you wonder. She said they used to be vegan, but they changed them.

I'd be interested to see confirmation on this. The BK veggie burger is
(was?) a good choice if you had to eat at a fast food place that
serves a lot of meaty stuff, for instance if your friends were all
going to Burger King and you came along.

IIRC the BK veggie patty was made with mushrooms and water chestnuts
and other ingredients that set it apart from patties served by other
fast food type places (such as Subway) that are basically soy protein
and a little other stuff glued together with egg white.

Jessi Gurr

"Daniel Miller" > wrote:

>> [Veggie Burger]... has "natural flavoring" and other stuff in it. So

it makes
>>you wonder. She said they used to be vegan, but they changed them.

> I'd be interested to see confirmation on this.

From the BK Website:

BK VEGGIE® BURGER PATTY
Water, Mushrooms, Water Chestnuts, Cooked Brown Rice, Textured Wheat
Protein, Rolled Oats, Vital Wheat Gluten, Frozen Onions, Corn Oil, Frozen
Carrots, Potato Starch, Frozen Green Peppers, Frozen Red Peppers. Contains
2% or less of: Onion Powder, Corn Starch, Black Olives, Methyl Cellulose,
Salt, Modified Tapioca Starch, Rice Flour, Yeast Extract, Oat Fiber, Sugar,
Potato Dextrin, Konjac Flour, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Maltodextrin,
Natural Flavors from Non-Meat Sources, Dextrose, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium
Acid Pyrophosphate, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Malt Extract, Sage, Grill
Flavor?, Basil, Raisin Juice Concentrate, Oregano, Jalapeno Pepper Powder,
Sesame Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup Solids, Natural? Smoke
Flavoring, Celery Oleoresin, Wine, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Xanthan Gum.
?Natural flavors from plant sources. Contains Wheat.
Note: This is NOT a VEGAN product.

I recall when the BK Veggie first came out, PETA was encouraging people to
go to Burger King and "support the veggie option." PETA even mentioned that
although the veggie burger 'contained milk ingredients' and the bun had
'trace amounts of dairy,' people should still support the veggie burger
simply to show that there were people seeking alternatives to meat. This
brought about a lot of controversy, and PETA quickly dropped their
endorsements.

In my opinion, whether or not you're hanging out with a bunch of
meat-eaters, i don't think it's very ethical to support one of the leading
sellers of beef. Hopefully your friends are courteous enough not to suggest
a fast food restaurant when out with you - and certainly they should be kind
enough to listen to alternative suggestions and respect your right not to
support McDonalds, Burger King, and the like.

Burger King statistics:

a.. Almost 11,400 restaurants in 57 countries, 368 in Canada;
b.. More than $11 billion U.S. in sales;
c.. Serves 15 million customers per day;
d.. Over 300,000 employees.
Animal Volumes (U.S.)

a.. Beef - $465,000,000
b.. Chicken - $293,000,000
c.. Pork - $78,000,000
d.. Cheese - $93,000,000
e.. Other Dairy - $40,000,000
f.. Eggs - $39,000,000
Total: $1,008,000,000 U.S.
(http://www.afac.ab.ca/lcc/LCC2002Summary.htm)

anyway, if you're not too concerned about supporting fast food restaurants,
check out this:

http://www.burgerme.co.uk/graphics/mcd_chickhead.jpg

magnulus

Not surprising that PETA would endorse the BK Veggie burger, despite it
being non-Vegan. PETA often confuses veganism with "vegetarianism", feeding
off public confusion (Physicians Commite for Responsable Medicine is also
guilty of this). In reality, PETA is a utilitarianist animal-rights group,
they believe in gradualism/utilitarianism coupled with loud rhetoric and
publicity stunts to gain attention for their cause.

BTW, I'm a former vegan- current vegetarian. I quit being vegan because I
found no good cheese substituse. I still eat alot of mostly-vegan foods,
though. I don't consider myself an animal rights advocate anymore, either.

When they make decent vegan cheese, maybe I will reconsider. You know
,something that actually tastes like real sharp cheddar, feta, parmesean, or
swiss cheese. I don't drink milk, as a rule, though... and I do eat free
range eggs occasionally.

PATRICK D'ACRE

Aloha,

We, from the Blossoming Lotus Restaurant, in Hawaii, are presenting our
award winning lifestyle book, Vegan World Fusion Cuisine, combining ancient
wisdom with modern healthy eating recipes, in our college campaign. This
program is starting on your campus, in the next 2 weeks, and we'd like to
know how we can arrange for your bookstore to carry our book.

Please visit this site, and let us know how you handle new book
acquisitions:

http://www.veganfusion.com

Thank you from paradise,

Patrick Michaels

Recipes for a Peaceful Planet
"Chad Michael Mallett" > wrote in message
> My friend is a Manager at Burger King and she noticed a new sign that says
> the Veggie Burgers are not vegan or vegetarian. And she showed me the
> ingredients. It has "natural flavoring" and other stuff in it. So it makes
> you wonder. She said they used to be vegan, but they changed them.
>
> -chad-

the

> > > Assume it was cooked on the same grill as the meat patties. Therefore,

> no.
> >
> > If one is willing enough to sacrifice phony ethical principles to eat a

> Veggie
> > Whopper, one should also be willing to accept that the little bit of

> grease from
> > their broiler is as insignificant as the dairy in their bun or egg in

the
> mayo.
> > Regardless, BK employees will happily heat the Veggie Whopper patty in a
> > microwave if asked. Have it your way.

PATRICK D'ACRE

Aloha,

We, from the Blossoming Lotus Restaurant, in Hawaii, are presenting our
award winning lifestyle book, Vegan World Fusion Cuisine, combining ancient
wisdom with modern healthy eating recipes, in our college campaign. This
program is starting on your campus, in the next 2 weeks, and we'd like to
know how we can arrange for your bookstore to carry our book.

Please visit this site, and let us know how you handle new book
acquisitions:

http://www.veganfusion.com

Thank you from paradise,

Patrick Michaels

Recipes for a Peaceful Planet
"Chad Michael Mallett" > wrote in message
> My friend is a Manager at Burger King and she noticed a new sign that says
> the Veggie Burgers are not vegan or vegetarian. And she showed me the
> ingredients. It has "natural flavoring" and other stuff in it. So it makes
> you wonder. She said they used to be vegan, but they changed them.
>
> -chad-

the

> > > Assume it was cooked on the same grill as the meat patties. Therefore,

> no.
> >
> > If one is willing enough to sacrifice phony ethical principles to eat a

> Veggie
> > Whopper, one should also be willing to accept that the little bit of

> grease from
> > their broiler is as insignificant as the dairy in their bun or egg in

the
> mayo.
> > Regardless, BK employees will happily heat the Veggie Whopper patty in a
> > microwave if asked. Have it your way.

Taco Bell Pulls Super Bowl Ad Making Fun of Veggie Eaters After Veggie Eaters Complain Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 13 12-02-2013 10:49 PM
I've changed my nym SelfCenteredSnob General Cooking 2 10-12-2010 06:12 PM
Changed To Tea stheno Tea 1 16-10-2008 01:52 PM
Times have changed The Cook Preserving 4 26-07-2007 05:23 PM
I've changed my ways Monsur Fromage du Pollet General Cooking 43 13-03-2005 02:43 PM