Momzilla

Default Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies

As long as I'm airing my secret family recipes... here is another. Once
again, the original source is long forgotten.

3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 baking soda
1/2 cup soft shortening (you really have to use a margarine for this. I've
never tried substituting oil in this recipe. I use Soy Garden marg)
6 tbls packed brown sugar
6 tbls "white" sugar ( I use raw sugar now)
Ener-G egg replacer equivalent to one egg
1/4 tsp hot water ( very necessary that it is Hot water)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
6 oz chocolate chips
1 cup oats
1/2 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 375
sift flour salt and baking soda. Cream sugar egg and shortening until light
and fluffy. Blend in flour mix and other ingredients. Drop spoonfuls of
dough on ungreased cookie sheet bake 10- 12 min.

T5NF

Nancy wrote:
<snip no longer secret family recipe>

I'm guessing that's 1/2 tsp baking soda?

Have you ever used xanthan/xantham gum before? I bought some last fall and
started adding about a 1/2 teaspoon to baked goods...makes them chewier. I got
it in bulk at the small health food store I go to but recently I noticed that
they also carry it pre-packed...I think it was Now brand. I only bought about
$3 worth of the stuff to try it out...a little goes a long way.

Cheers,

Fritz
Momzilla

"T5NF" > wrote in message
> Nancy wrote:
> <snip no longer secret family recipe>
>
> I'm guessing that's 1/2 tsp baking soda?
>
> Have you ever used xanthan/xantham gum before? I bought some last fall

and
> started adding about a 1/2 teaspoon to baked goods...makes them chewier.

I got
> it in bulk at the small health food store I go to but recently I noticed

that
> they also carry it pre-packed...I think it was Now brand. I only bought

about
> $3 worth of the stuff to try it out...a little goes a long way.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fritz

Oops, 1/2 tsp spoon baking soda is correct.

I've been thinking about trying Xanthan gum . I'm trying to veganize an
Oatmeal cookie recipe from my husband's Grandmother. My sister-in-law wants
them vegan but also big and chewy. The xanthan gum may do the trick.

-nancy-