MrFalafel

Default Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom Chili

Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom Chili

1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 large Portobello mushrooms, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 fresh plum tomatoes, diced
3 tbsp American style chilli powder
1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1 cup tomato juice
1 cup water
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley for garnish
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil for garnish

Place the eggplant in a strainer, toss it with the salt and lit stand
for 1 hour to remove excess moisture. Pat eggplant dry with paper
towels.

Heat the oil in a large chilli pot over medium heat. Add the onion,
bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, and reserved eggplant. Cover and cook
until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes. Add the
tomatoes, chilli powder, oregano, tomato juice, water and salt and
pepper. Lower the heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish with fresh parsley and basil.

Serve over pasta!

Vegetarian Chili Cookbook – Robin Robinson
usual suspect

MrFalafel wrote:

> Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom Chili
>
> 1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
> 1 tbsp salt
> 1 tbsp olive oil
> 1 large onion, chopped
> 1 red bell pepper, diced
> 4 large Portobello mushrooms, chopped
> 3 cloves garlic, minced
> 8 fresh plum tomatoes, diced
> 3 tbsp American style chilli powder
> 1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Mexican
> 1 cup tomato juice
> 1 cup water
> salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
> 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley for garnish
> 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil for garnish
>
> Place the eggplant in a strainer, toss it with the salt and lit stand
> for 1 hour to remove excess moisture. Pat eggplant dry with paper
> towels.
>
> Heat the oil in a large chilli pot over medium heat. Add the onion,
> bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, and reserved eggplant. Cover and cook
> until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes. Add the
> tomatoes, chilli powder, oregano, tomato juice, water and salt and
> pepper. Lower the heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
> Taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish with fresh parsley and basil.
>
> Serve over pasta!
>
> Vegetarian Chili Cookbook – Robin Robinson

That book is copyrighted (1998) by Robin Robinson. "All rights reserved. No part
of this publication may be transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic
or mechanical... without permission in writing from the author."

Did you receive such permission from Robin Robinson before posting the above
recipe from her book?

Scroll to the copyright notice:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1558...51#reader-page