patricia

Default honey without the bee's

I got this recipe from my grandmother to make honey without bee's. is
that something that people would be interesting buying as an
alternative to honey tastes pretty much the same as the real thing?
thanks
Rubystars

"patricia" > wrote in message
m...
> I got this recipe from my grandmother to make honey without bee's. is
> that something that people would be interesting buying as an
> alternative to honey tastes pretty much the same as the real thing?
> thanks

Post the recipe.

-Rubystars

katie

"patricia" > wrote in message
m...
> I got this recipe from my grandmother to make honey without bee's. is
> that something that people would be interesting buying as an
> alternative to honey tastes pretty much the same as the real thing?
> thanks

it might be good for those occasional veg chickn' nugget feasts, or the odd
recipe (isn't baklava made with honey? or is it maple syrup? mmm...)
otherwise, i don't really miss it.

sid derra

"patricia" > wrote in message
m...
> I got this recipe from my grandmother to make honey without bee's. is
> that something that people would be interesting buying as an
> alternative to honey tastes pretty much the same as the real thing?
> thanks

would love to try it - if you post it!

Rubystars

Default "veg chickn' nugget feasts" (was: honey without the bee's)

"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
news.com...
> [alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian added]
>
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:55:12 GMT, "katie"
> > wrote:
>

> >"patricia" > wrote in message
> om...
> >> I got this recipe from my grandmother to make honey without bee's. is
> >> that something that people would be interesting buying as an
> >> alternative to honey tastes pretty much the same as the real thing?
> >> thanks

> >it might be good for those occasional veg chickn' nugget feasts,

> "veg chickn' nugget feasts"? What's the point of being vegan and then
> eating food processed to look and taste like animal flesh?

A lot of vegetarians enjoy the taste and texture of meat, they just don't
eat genuine meat for one reason or another.

-Rubystars

pearl

"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message news.com...
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:10:05 GMT, "Rubystars" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
> tnews.com...
> >> [alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian added]
> >>
> >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:55:12 GMT, "katie"

> >> om...

> >> "veg chickn' nugget feasts"? What's the point of being vegan and then
> >> eating food processed to look and taste like animal flesh?

> >A lot of vegetarians enjoy the taste and texture of meat, they just don't
> >eat genuine meat for one reason or another.
> >
> >-Rubystars

> From "PETA Eats" at:
> http://www.petaeats.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=382
>
> "Chicken" Cacciatore
> Courtesy of Cynthia Wesley
> Makes 6 servings
>
> 12 oz. faux chicken (try Nate's Chicken-Style Meatless
> Nuggets or Worthington's Chic-Ketts-www.kelloggs.com)"
>
> Seems a bit hypocritical for PETA to be passing out recipes that use
> products that are processed to look or taste like meat. After all,
> the very idea of eating animal flesh is supposed to be repulsive to
> them for moral reasons.

It is repulsive for moral reasons, but the -taste- of some of those
'meat substitutes' can also be repulsive to people who are _over_
the meat habit, as I found out at a friend's place the other week-
Linda McCartney's burgers I think- it looked and tasted so much
like meat that one bite was all I could manage! Yet such products
may be helpful to the many in the process of reducing or eliminating
meat-consumption. I've always thought that it is the flavour of the
herbs and spices used that make certain meat products tasty, and
indeed so-called 'meat-substitutes' can taste very (even too) similar.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:47:50 GMT, Common Man <not.public@> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:10:05 GMT, "Rubystars" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
etnews.com...
>>> [alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian added]
>>>
>>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:55:12 GMT, "katie"

>>> om...

>>> "veg chickn' nugget feasts"? What's the point of being vegan and then
>>> eating food processed to look and taste like animal flesh?

>>A lot of vegetarians enjoy the taste and texture of meat, they just don't
>>eat genuine meat for one reason or another.
>>
>>-Rubystars

>From "PETA Eats" at:
>http://www.petaeats.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=382
>
>"Chicken” Cacciatore
>Courtesy of Cynthia Wesley
>Makes 6 servings
>
>12 oz. faux chicken (try Nate’s Chicken-Style Meatless
>Nuggets or Worthington’s Chic-Ketts—www.kelloggs.com)"
>
>Seems a bit hypocritical for PETA to be passing out recipes that use
>products that are processed to look or taste like meat. After all,
>the very idea of eating animal flesh is supposed to be repulsive to
>them for moral reasons.

They pretend to promote "Animal Rights", but they contribute to
animal deaths in most of the same ways everyone else does by using
wood and paper products, electricity, vegetable products, roads and
buildings, products which are mined, etc. They also kill plenty of dogs
and cats, and would like to see an epidemic of foot and mouth disease
in the US.
[...]
In a July 2000 Associated Press story, reporter Matthew Barakat described
government reports showing that PETA itself killed 1,325 -- or 63 percent --
of the dogs and cats entrusted to it in 1999. The state of Virginia expected
those animals to be placed in adoptive homes. Only 386 of them ever were.
[...]
http://www.nfss.org/Legis/Peta-AA/pet-4.html
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Web posted Friday, April 27, 2001
State Veterinarian, PETA Head Differ On Outbreak
[...]
On Thursday, Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment
of Animals, renewed her claim that an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease
in the United States would benefit herds by sparing them from a tortured
existence and the slaughterhouse.

A PETA spokesman said it's inconceivable that anyone would fail to see
the sense of Newkirk's statements, which have rankled politicians and
livestock farmers from Texas to Canada.

[...]
In a telephone interview from Richmond, Va., Newkirk reiterated her
hope that foot-and-mouth -- which has ravaged herds in Europe -- reaches
U.S. shores.

''It's a peculiar and disturbing thing to say, but it would be less than truthful
if I pretended otherwise,'' she said.

People would be better off without meat because it is tied to a host of
ailments, Newkirk said. And animals would benefit because the current
means of raising and slaughtering livestock are ''grotesquely cruel from
start to finish.''
[...]
http://www.pressanddakotan.com/stori...427010026.html
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:58:07 GMT, Common Man <not.public@> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:10:05 GMT, "Rubystars" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
etnews.com...
>>> [alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian added]
>>>
>>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:55:12 GMT, "katie"

>>> om...

>>> "veg chickn' nugget feasts"? What's the point of being vegan and then
>>> eating food processed to look and taste like animal flesh?

>>A lot of vegetarians enjoy the taste and texture of meat, they just don't
>>eat genuine meat for one reason or another.
>>
>>-Rubystars

>But what about vegans that eat such products?

Then in a lot of cases they aren't vegans. All of the "meatless chicken"
that I've seen contains egg whites, so they're contributing to battery farming.
If they ate broiler chickens, then at least they would be contributing to birds
raised in open houses instead of confined to tiny cages.
Of course if they ate grass raised beef, they could feed hundreds of people
from the life and death of the one animal. Each person who eats the fake
chicken is probably contributing to as many--and in some cases more--deaths
than hundreds of them would eating grass raised beef. But we know veg*ns
don't care even a tiny bit about things like that.

>The post originally
>appeared in alt.food.vegan.

Michael Saunby

> wrote in message

> They pretend to promote "Animal Rights", but they contribute to
> animal deaths....

Animal rightists promote hatred, just as racists, and even some sexists
might. The animals are just an excuse to hate other cultures (e.g. Halal
slaughter issues), other nations (e.g. Spanish bullfighting remains an
issue for UK ARists, but apparently isn't a major issue for other European
environmental groups. They promote hatred of other races, eg. Japanese
consumption of dolphins and whales. They promoted hatred of techological
progress, e.g. animal based research, this can even spill over into hatred
of farming, of GM, indeed of pretty much anything they don't understand -
which is most things.

In the UK ARism is largely urban based, i.e. where folks have little
contact with animals but where people live in close proximity to others,
other people that they can't, or won't, take the trouble to understand, so
ignorant young whites turn to racism, or AR, or both. Hopefully it will
soon pass. and angry young urbanites will learn to love each other.

Michael Saunby

Rubystars

"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
news.com...
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:10:05 GMT, "Rubystars" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
> tnews.com...
> >> [alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian added]
> >>
> >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:55:12 GMT, "katie"

> >> om...

is

> >> "veg chickn' nugget feasts"? What's the point of being vegan and then
> >> eating food processed to look and taste like animal flesh?

> >A lot of vegetarians enjoy the taste and texture of meat, they just don't
> >eat genuine meat for one reason or another.
> >
> >-Rubystars

> But what about vegans that eat such products? The post originally
> appeared in alt.food.vegan.

I would say most vegans don't give up on meat or other animal products
because they don't like them. They give it up for either AR reasons, or for
health related reasons. There's nothing inherently "bad" about the taste or
texture of meat.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
news.com...
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:10:05 GMT, "Rubystars" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
> tnews.com...
> >> [alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian added]
> >>
> >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:55:12 GMT, "katie"

> >> om...

is

> >> "veg chickn' nugget feasts"? What's the point of being vegan and then
> >> eating food processed to look and taste like animal flesh?

> >A lot of vegetarians enjoy the taste and texture of meat, they just don't
> >eat genuine meat for one reason or another.
> >
> >-Rubystars

> From "PETA Eats" at:
> http://www.petaeats.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=382
>
> "Chicken" Cacciatore
> Courtesy of Cynthia Wesley
> Makes 6 servings
>
> 12 oz. faux chicken (try Nate's Chicken-Style Meatless
> Nuggets or Worthington's Chic-Ketts-www.kelloggs.com)"
>
> Seems a bit hypocritical for PETA to be passing out recipes that use
> products that are processed to look or taste like meat. After all,
> the very idea of eating animal flesh is supposed to be repulsive to
> them for moral reasons.

Why would the taste or texture of meat be repulsive? Most people like it.
They're not eating animal flesh.

-Rubystars

pearl

"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message news.com...
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:29:26 +0100, "pearl" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message news.com...

> >> tnews.com...

> >> From "PETA Eats" at:
> >> http://www.petaeats.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=382
> >>
> >> "Chicken" Cacciatore
> >> Courtesy of Cynthia Wesley
> >> Makes 6 servings
> >>
> >> 12 oz. faux chicken (try Nate's Chicken-Style Meatless
> >> Nuggets or Worthington's Chic-Ketts-www.kelloggs.com)"
> >>
> >> Seems a bit hypocritical for PETA to be passing out recipes that use
> >> products that are processed to look or taste like meat. After all,
> >> the very idea of eating animal flesh is supposed to be repulsive to
> >> them for moral reasons.

> >It is repulsive for moral reasons, but the -taste- of some of those
> >'meat substitutes' can also be repulsive to people who are _over_
> >the meat habit, as I found out at a friend's place the other week-
> >Linda McCartney's burgers I think- it looked and tasted so much
> >like meat that one bite was all I could manage!

> Then you would seem to be one of the few exceptions. After all, if
> most vegans felt as you do there wouldn't be much demand for "vegan
> meat" products in the first place.

That type really tasted like -meat-, not just the usual herb/spice taste.

> > Yet such products
> >may be helpful to the many in the process of reducing or eliminating
> >meat-consumption.

> "In the process"? If eating meat is so morally repulsive, then why
> the need for a weaning period?

Fat is a primary reinforcer,- meaning we're programmed from birth
to like it. Any fat. Researchers have even found changes in the
brain from eating fat similar to those produced by the use of opiates.

> > I've always thought that it is the flavour of the
> >herbs and spices used that make certain meat products tasty, and
> >indeed so-called 'meat-substitutes' can taste very (even too) similar.

> If the eating meat products are morally wrong, then eating such
> substitutes should also be considered morally wrong. In the case of
> morals, thoughts also count.

Silly.

I don't think that these products do usually taste like meat, but
like the herb and spice flavourings that are used with the meat.
I thought it was a well-known fact that herbs and spices were
initially used in cuisine in order to disguise the taste and smell
of putrid and rancid meat.

usual suspect

Rubystars wrote:

>>>it might be good for those occasional veg chickn' nugget feasts,

>>"veg chickn' nugget feasts"? What's the point of being vegan and then
>>eating food processed to look and taste like animal flesh?

> A lot of vegetarians enjoy the taste and texture of meat,

Aside for medical reasons, then why do they give it up?

> they just don't
> eat genuine meat for one reason or another.

Then why can't cubic zirconias be a girl's best friend?

usual suspect

puta loca wrote:

<...>
> I've always thought that it is the flavour of the
> herbs and spices used that make certain meat products tasty,

Most people like the taste of flesh for, and often by, itself.

> and
> indeed so-called 'meat-substitutes' can taste very (even too) similar.

Such flavor is based on the use of yeast extracts and other flavoring agents,
not herbs and spices. You use herbs and spices on your vegetables and grains,
right? They don't end up tasting like meat.

usual suspect

puta loca wrote:
<...>
> That type really tasted like -meat-,

Have you ever *not* had the taste of someone's meat in your mouth? What about
that butcher you visited last year? You never told me if he let you touch his meat.

> not just the usual herb/spice taste.

Veg-ns aren't buying those things for herbs and spices, they demand stuff that
tastes like real meat.

<...>
> I thought it was a well-known fact that herbs and spices were
> initially used in cuisine in order to disguise the taste and smell
> of putrid and rancid meat.

No. Throw it out if it's putrid or rancid. Fresh meat doesn't have an
off-putting smell, and fresh fish smells like the sea rather than your crotch.

pearl

"usual suspect" > wrote in message ...
> puta loca wrote:
> <...>
> > That type really tasted like -meat-,

> Have you ever *not* had the taste of someone's meat in your mouth? What about
> that butcher you visited last year? You never told me if he let you touch his meat.

Profile of a Sociopath
Pathological Lying
promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting
out of all sorts.
http://home.datawest.net/esn-recovery/artcls/socio.htm

pearl

"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message news.com...
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:17:47 +0100, "pearl" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message news.com...

news.com...

> >> Then you would seem to be one of the few exceptions. After all, if
> >> most vegans felt as you do there wouldn't be much demand for "vegan
> >> meat" products in the first place.

> >That type really tasted like -meat-, not just the usual herb/spice taste.

> Then it would be hypocritical for any "real vegan" to eat such
> products.

Why? No vegan will argue that meat shouldn't be eaten because of its taste!

> >> "In the process"? If eating meat is so morally repulsive, then why
> >> the need for a weaning period?

> >Fat is a primary reinforcer,- meaning we're programmed from birth
> >to like it. Any fat. Researchers have even found changes in the
> >brain from eating fat similar to those produced by the use of opiates.

> So vegans consider eating meat immoral, yet they continue to lust for
> it?

Not that I know of.

> >> If the eating meat products are morally wrong, then eating such
> >> substitutes should also be considered morally wrong. In the case of
> >> morals, thoughts also count.

> >Silly.
> >
> >I don't think that these products do usually taste like meat, but
> >like the herb and spice flavourings that are used with the meat.
> >I thought it was a well-known fact that herbs and spices were
> >initially used in cuisine in order to disguise the taste and smell
> >of putrid and rancid meat.

> Nice attempt and dancing around the issue, but no matter how you cut
> it, vegans who eat such products are still hypocrites.

Nonsense.

MrFalafel

"katie" > wrote in message t.cable.rogers.com>...
> "patricia" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I got this recipe from my grandmother to make honey without bee's. is
> > that something that people would be interesting buying as an
> > alternative to honey tastes pretty much the same as the real thing?
> > thanks

> it might be good for those occasional veg chickn' nugget feasts, or the odd
> recipe (isn't baklava made with honey? or is it maple syrup? mmm...)
> otherwise, i don't really miss it.

Vegan Baklava

3 cups walnuts, divided
1 cup blanched almonds
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
12 sheets phyllo dough
1/4 cup light safflower oil
1 1/4 cups date sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 T. lemon zest
2 T. maple syrup
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract

Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan and set aside. Coarsely chop half of
the walnuts and place them in a bowl. Finely chop the remaining half
of walnuts and the almonds. Add the finely chopped nuts to the bowl
along with the cinnamon and cloves, stir well to combine, and set
aside. Place the stacked sheets of phyllo dough flat on a cutting
board, cut them in half lengthwise, stack the cut sheets on top of
each other, remove 6 sheets from the stack, and cover the remaining
with a towel to keep them from drying out. Place 1 sheet of phyllo
dough in the bottom of the greased pan and lightly brush it with a
little of the oil. Repeat the layering and oiling procedure for the
remaining 5 sheets of phyllo dough. Sprinkle one third of the reserved
nut mixture evenly over the top of the stacked phyllo dough. Repeat
the layering and oiling procedure with 6 additional sheets of phyllo
dough, sprinkle with another third of the nut mixture, and repeat this
procedure ending with a phyllo layer.

Using a sharp knife, carefully make 4 evenly-spaced vertical cuts
through the entire stack of phyllo, make 5 evenly-spaced lengthwise
cuts, and then cut each piece in half diagonally. Bake at 350 degrees
for 20 minutes, lower the heat to 300 degrees, and bake an additional
25-30 minutes or until evenly golden brown on top. Meanwhile, in a
saucepan, combine the date sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and maple
syrup, and cook over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat and
stir in the vanilla and almond extract. Pour the syrup mixture over
the baklava as soon as it comes out of the oven. Let baklava cool
before serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for
up to one week or extras can be frozen.

Yield: 40 pieces
Rubystars

> >>"veg chickn' nugget feasts"? What's the point of being vegan and then
> >>eating food processed to look and taste like animal flesh?

> > A lot of vegetarians enjoy the taste and texture of meat,

> Aside for medical reasons, then why do they give it up?

You know why they do. I think most of this thread is a bunch of silliness.
It's eating animals they think is immoral. That doesn't mean they forgot how
good meat tastes or that they wouldn't eat meat if it was produced in
another way other than coming from animals.

> > they just don't
> > eat genuine meat for one reason or another.

> Then why can't cubic zirconias be a girl's best friend?

Actually I bet a lot of people who think they have a diamond ring are really
wearing zircons. *L*

-Rubystars

usual suspect

Rubystars wrote:

>>>A lot of vegetarians enjoy the taste and texture of meat,

>>Aside for medical reasons, then why do they give it up?

> You know why they do. I think most of this thread is a bunch of silliness.

I don't. I think it demonstrates the hypocrisy of "ethical" veganism.

> It's eating animals they think is immoral.

Not just eating animals, or else they'd have no problem with honey, animal
research, silk, etc. They have no qualms, though, about the animals killed in
production of the wheat (for gluten) and soy (tofu, tvp, etc.) for their fake
meats. In reality, they're responsible for the killing of a lot more animals
than if they'd eat game meat or the meat of other grazed animals.

> That doesn't mean they forgot how
> good meat tastes

Obviously, yet they demean others for eating "icky rotten flesh" among other
hyperbole. They can't have it both ways.

> or that they wouldn't eat meat if it was produced in
> another way other than coming from animals.

Hehe... but that's where it's found.

>>>they just don't
>>>eat genuine meat for one reason or another.

>>Then why can't cubic zirconias be a girl's best friend?

> Actually I bet a lot of people who think they have a diamond ring are really
> wearing zircons. *L*

True enough, but that doesn't address my rhetorical point. Vegans are
hypocritical phonies who cling to a phony set of beliefs about their phony diets
filled with substitutes for the real thing they still crave.

pearl

"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message news.com...
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:27:53 +0100, "pearl" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message news.com...

news.com...

> tnews.com...

> >> Then it would be hypocritical for any "real vegan" to eat such
> >> products.

> >Why? No vegan will argue that meat shouldn't be eaten because of its taste!

> But they argue that the act of eating meat is immoral. Yet they crave
> the very thing they are supposed to be disgusted by in the form of
> substitutes.

Ipse dixit.

Complete your sentence first... 'So they ______ products ..'?

> >> Nice attempt and dancing around the issue, but no matter how you cut
> >> it, vegans who eat such products are still hypocrites.

> >Nonsense.

> Actually, it's right on the money.

What I wrote is.

rick etter

"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
news.com...
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:32:41 GMT, "Rubystars" >
> wrote:

is

then

> >> Aside for medical reasons, then why do they give it up?

> >You know why they do. I think most of this thread is a bunch of

silliness.

> Why? Because the question is uncomfortable perhaps?
>
> >It's eating animals they think is immoral. That doesn't mean they forgot

how
> >good meat tastes or that they wouldn't eat meat if it was produced in
> >another way other than coming from animals.

> So eating meat is immoral, yet they want to eat something that looks
> and tastes just like the immoral meat? Why would a moral person want
> to commit an act designed to closely simulate an immoral act? Would a
> person who thinks killing children is immoral go out of his way to buy
> a bunch of dolls just so he could behead them? I don't think so. Yet
> this is exactly what the so-called moral vegans do. They go out of
> their way to buy products designed to look and taste like the very
> thing that supposedly disgusts them.

=================
And that demonstratively causes more animals to die that if the ate the real
thing from certain sources. Proof again that's it's not about dead animals,
it's about their religious brainwashing.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:29:51 GMT, Common Man <not.public@> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:47:05 GMT, wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:58:07 GMT, Common Man <not.public@> wrote:

anetnews.com...

>>>But what about vegans that eat such products?

>> Then in a lot of cases they aren't vegans. All of the "meatless chicken"
>>that I've seen contains egg whites, so they're contributing to battery farming.

>Tsk tsk! Such hypocrites!

http://www.petaeats.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=382

>>If they ate broiler chickens, then at least they would be contributing to birds
>>raised in open houses instead of confined to tiny cages.

>From what I've seen thus far, they don't let such facts get in the way
>of their beliefs.
>
>> Of course if they ate grass raised beef, they could feed hundreds of people
>>from the life and death of the one animal. Each person who eats the fake
>>chicken is probably contributing to as many--and in some cases more--deaths
>>than hundreds of them would eating grass raised beef. But we know veg*ns
>>don't care even a tiny bit about things like that.

>Apparently not.

It would be funny if it weren't so significant and pathetic. To find out that the
people who make the biggest show of *pretending!!!* to care about human
influence on animals, don't care even to the degree of those who they oppose
for not caring about the same thing, could be considered funny if it didn't have
any influence on animals. But sadly it does.
Dieter

Default ****wit David Harrison fails again ( "veg chickn' nugget feasts")

****wit David Harrison choked:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:29:51 GMT, Common Man <not.public@> wrote:
>>>If they ate broiler chickens, then at least they would be contributing to birds
>>>raised in open houses instead of confined to tiny cages.

By not eating any chickens at all, ****wit, they are
not "contributing" to ANY form of poultry husbandry.

The choice for THEM is not between "birds raised in
open houses" and "birds confined to tiny cages", and
you KNOW it, ****wit. Why do you keep insisting on
presenting your ****witted bogus choice as "the"
choice", ****wit? You KNOW I'm always going to shoot
it down, ****wit.

Neither does ****wit David Harrison.

>>> Of course if they ate grass raised beef, they could feed hundreds of people

>>>from the life and death of the one animal. Each person who eats the fake
>>>chicken is probably contributing to as many--and in some cases more--deaths
>>>than hundreds of them would eating grass raised beef. But we know veg*ns
>>>don't care even a tiny bit about things like that.

>>Apparently not.

> It would be funny if it weren't so significant and pathetic.

What's funny, ****wit, is that YOU are such a massive
hypocrite, and think it isn't known. YOU don't eat
grass-fed beef, ****wit.

usual suspect

Common Man wrote:
<...>
>>>But they argue that the act of eating meat is immoral. Yet they crave
>>>the very thing they are supposed to be disgusted by in the form of
>>>substitutes.

>>Ipse dixit.

> Non answer noted.

It's worse than a non-answer by claiming "ipse dixit." She's completely ignoring
the fact that vegans clamor for such products in the first place, and complain
bitterly when they're changed or altered for broader appeal. See AFV for how
many object to Linda McCartney frozen foods now that most of them contain minute
levels of animal products. The vegan purists *RAISE HELL* every time a product
changes to include something like egg whites or trace amounts of dairy.

> If my assertion was unsupported, then why do vegan
> buy products processed to look and taste like meat if they didn't
> crave such things? Do they buy them because they *don't* want them?

Exactly right. And why do groups like PeTA push them as alternatives if they
replicate the taste, texture, and feel of something "unethical"?

> That would be highly irrational, even for a kook like you!

*Never* underestimate Lesley's irrational thoughts or behavior.

<...>

T5NF

Hey x-posters....do your TOS advocate x-posting? Just stop it.

Fritz
usual suspect

T5NF wrote:

> Hey x-posters....do your TOS advocate x-posting? Just stop it.

This thread is on topic for both groups, Fritz.

Jonathan Ball

usual suspect wrote:

> T5NF wrote:
>
>> Hey x-posters....do your TOS advocate x-posting? Just stop it.

> This thread is on topic for both groups, Fritz.

"Fritz", as you might suppose, isn't her real name. I
can't remember if we ever knew the real one or not.
There's something about 'vegan' women that leads a lot
of them to select masculine nicknames: Fritz, Ronnie,
Nikita (I suppose the last one might actually have had
a more feminine-appearing spelling of 'Nikitta', but
she clearly was a red-diaper baby nicknamed by her red
parents after Kruschchev.)

usual suspect

Jonathan Ball wrote:

> usual suspect wrote:
>
>> T5NF wrote:
>>
>>> Hey x-posters....do your TOS advocate x-posting? Just stop it.

>> This thread is on topic for both groups, Fritz.

> "Fritz", as you might suppose, isn't her real name.

Yes indeed and no I'm not a transsexual ;-)....I know the female version
is usually fritzy but I got stuck with fritz as a nickname & just kept
it that way....keeps people guessing ;-)
http://snipurl.com/72xj

...I'm a woman with a mans' nickname :-) (even if I used my proper name
it'd still be confusing as it's one of those names that fit either
gender)
http://snipurl.com/72xl

> I can't remember if
> we ever knew the real one or not. There's something about 'vegan' women
> that leads a lot of them to select masculine nicknames: Fritz, Ronnie,
> Nikita (I suppose the last one might actually have had a more
> feminine-appearing spelling of 'Nikitta', but she clearly was a
> red-diaper baby nicknamed by her red parents after Kruschchev.)

All part of a bigger mental illness. Like other rabid leftists, they also tend
to be man-haters. Consider Karen and Sylvia. Ugh. On second thought, don't.

katie

"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
news.com...
> [alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian added]
>
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:55:12 GMT, "katie"
> > wrote:
>

> >"patricia" > wrote in message
> om...
> >> I got this recipe from my grandmother to make honey without bee's. is
> >> that something that people would be interesting buying as an
> >> alternative to honey tastes pretty much the same as the real thing?
> >> thanks

> >it might be good for those occasional veg chickn' nugget feasts,

> "veg chickn' nugget feasts"? What's the point of being vegan and then
> eating food processed to look and taste like animal flesh?
>
> [...]

meh. i know it's not good for me, and that they don't 'really' taste like
chicken nuggets (which is good, because when i do occasionally eat meat subs
and they're too 'real,' it grosses me out). but you know how food is. you
grow up with certain foods, and they inevitably get certain emotions and
people and events attached to them in your brain. like, every time i see
tomatoes, i think of my grandpa. and chicken nuggets are kid food that you
can eat with your hands and get all messy with honey. they just remind me
of being a kid, and going on road trips and stuff. it's weird, but it's
just a little bit of nice nostalgia to snack on sometimes.

usual suspect

Common Man wrote:
<...>
>> and chicken nuggets are kid food that you
>>can eat with your hands and get all messy with honey. they just remind me
>>of being a kid, and going on road trips and stuff. it's weird, but it's
>>just a little bit of nice nostalgia to snack on sometimes.

> But if the idea of eating meat grosses you out, then why eat something
> that reminds you of eating meat? That's the part I don't understand.

Katie seems like a sweet kid, but I don't think she's thought this vegan stuff
out very well yet. You're right -- it's funny that those who shun meat so
vociferously and go out of their ways to make scenes about it would also get
"nostalgic" (since she put it that way) about it and seek out stuff that tastes
just like the real dead animals they abhor.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:03:31 GMT, the moron Gonad wrote:

>****wit David Harrison choked:

>By not eating any chickens at all, ****wit, they are
>not "contributing" to ANY form of poultry husbandry.

Of course that's just a lie to support your supposed vegan brothers
Gonad. If they eat egg whites, they are supporting battery farming,
so you snipped that part.

>The choice for THEM is not between "birds raised in
>open houses" and "birds confined to tiny cages",

They chose to contribute to battery farming Gonad.

>and
>you KNOW it, ****wit. Why do you keep insisting on
>presenting your ****witted bogus choice as "the"
>choice", ****wit? You KNOW I'm always going to shoot
>it down, ****wit.

You can't shoot it down, you stupid STUPID!!! moron. If a person
contributes to decent lives for farm animals, like grass raised beef
or broiler chickens, then that's what they do. And there is nothing
you "ARAs" can EVER say or do to change it Gonad. You stupid
STUPID!!! moron.

>>>From what I've seen thus far, they don't let such facts get in the way
>>>of their beliefs.

>Neither does ****wit David Harrison.

>>>Apparently not.

>> It would be funny if it weren't so significant and pathetic.

>What's funny, ****wit, is that YOU are such a massive
>hypocrite, and think it isn't known. YOU don't eat
>grass-fed beef, ****wit.

It doesn't matter what I eat Gonad. The facts remain the same, and you
are desperately trying to make them go away simply by pointing out that I
don't buy grass raised beef. LOL! You are hilarious, you pathetic, frantic
"AR" boy. Not that it's any of your damned business Gonad, but for one
thing I don't eat enough beef to mean anything, and for another I think
most cattle like it in the stock yard. When I do eat grain raised beef, I'm
still contributing to decent lives for farm animals. Gonad. You stupid moron.
Dieter

****wit David Harrison choked:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:03:31 GMT, Dieter wrote:
>

>>****wit David Harrison choked:

>>By not eating any chickens at all, ****wit, they are
>>not "contributing" to ANY form of poultry husbandry.

> Of course that's just a lie to support your supposed vegan brothers

No, it isn't a lie, ****wit. The assumption is they
don't eat poultry or any poultry products, including
eggs. By not eating any, ****wit, they are not
"contributing" to ANY form of poultry husbandry. You
stupid, illiterate ****.

> If they eat egg whites

If they're "vegan", they don't eat egg whites.

You stupid, illiterate ****.

No, ****wit. You are, as always, wrong.

>>and you KNOW it, ****wit. Why do you keep insisting on
>>presenting your ****witted bogus choice as "the"
>>choice", ****wit? You KNOW I'm always going to shoot
>>it down, ****wit.

> You can't shoot it down

I already HAVE shot it down, ****wit, and driven a
bulldozer over it.

> If a person
> contributes to decent lives for farm animals, like grass raised beef
> or broiler chickens, then that's what they do.

You mean, they "contribute" to existence per se for
farm animals, ****wit. That's ALL you're interested
in, and we ALL know it. "Decent lives" is just a
smokescreen for you; EXISTENCE, per se, is ALL you mean.

>>Neither does ****wit David Harrison.

You not only don't let facts get in the way of your
beliefs, ****wit, you don't even recognize meaningful
facts at all.

>>> It would be funny if it weren't so significant and pathetic.

>>What's funny, ****wit, is that YOU are such a massive
>>hypocrite, and think it isn't known. YOU don't eat
>>grass-fed beef, ****wit.

> It doesn't matter what I eat

It does matter, ****wit. You are a hypocrite: a vile,
lying, Willie Denson-blowing hypocrite.

> The facts remain the same

There is only ONE pertinent fact, ****wit: existence
per se is not a "benefit" to farm animals. It simply
CANNOT be.

katie

"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
news.com...
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:09:26 GMT, usual suspect >
> wrote:
>
> >Common Man wrote:
> ><...>

me

it's

> >> But if the idea of eating meat grosses you out, then why eat something
> >> that reminds you of eating meat? That's the part I don't understand.

> >Katie seems like a sweet kid, but I don't think she's thought this vegan

stuff
> >out very well yet.

> She does seem nice, but I'd have to agree that she probably hasn't
> thought this vegan stuff through very well. But then, it doesn't seem
> that many of them have.

i have thought it out quite well. here's the deal. some vegan folks seem
to have this whole 'all or nothing' self loathing and deprivation thing
going on. like there's some perfect, attainable, 'vegan ideal' that they
have to reach. especially the ones who make their lives miserable by trying
to weed out absolutely EVERYTHING, as in, not watching movies or reading
books unless they've checked out the glue source on the binding. i mean,
holy geez. i think choices that you make for yourself have to not make you
feel deprived, or you're going to totally start to loathe your existence or
throw the whole thing away because you've made it too hard. sure, eating
analogues doesn't make sense to a lot of people. it doesn't fit into the
'perfect' vegan mould. i should be happy with my brown rice and vegetables
right? but hey, we're humans, and most of us grew up eating animal
products. so obviously, with the strong emotional connections to food,
we're probably going to get nostalgic about animal foods sometimes. why not
just eat them? because i have chosen not to. and if there are analogues
around that i like, what's wrong with me eating them? it's all just food,
right?

> >You're right -- it's funny that those who shun meat so
> >vociferously and go out of their ways to make scenes about it would also

get
> >"nostalgic" (since she put it that way) about it and seek out stuff that

tastes
> >just like the real dead animals they abhor.

> That's the part I don't understand. If I thought a certain act was
> repulsive, then I wouldn't want to take part in anything that comes
> even close to that act or reminds of that act.

well...here's the thing. chicken nuggets don't seem anything like chicken,
don't you think? in fact, i have a cousin who will eat chicken nuggets
because they look so different from actual 'birdish' chicken, but won't go
near any other chicken. which is extra weird since she's not anything close
to a vegetarian. meh. anyhow, point is, i've always been grossed out by
chicken wings and stuff like that that has a bone that you have to gnaw at.
even when i was a kid, it repulsed me. and i grew up in a hunting/hick farm
type family. i mean, i grew up picking lead shot out of my dinner. we'd
each have a little pile of shot on the side of our dinner plates. ewwwwwww.
anyhow, point is, not only do veggie chicken nuggets not taste like real
chicken, they also don't have the same texture, or even remotely resemble
real chicken. if anything comes too close to the real thing, it really does
gross me out. in general, i don't tend to eat analogues much at all.
although i do have a soft spot for veggie dogs - again, something that in no
way resembles...what....a pile of assorted animal assholes are they? ()
it's hard to explain, i know. it's the emotion connected to the old food
item that you can access without actually consuming a product that comes
close enough to the original 'meat' item to gross you out.

rick etter

"katie" > wrote in message
. rogers.com...

> "Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
> news.com...
> > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:09:26 GMT, usual suspect >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Common Man wrote:
> > ><...>

remind
> me

> it's

something

> > >Katie seems like a sweet kid, but I don't think she's thought this

vegan
> stuff
> > >out very well yet.

> > She does seem nice, but I'd have to agree that she probably hasn't
> > thought this vegan stuff through very well. But then, it doesn't seem
> > that many of them have.

> i have thought it out quite well. here's the deal. some vegan folks seem
> to have this whole 'all or nothing' self loathing and deprivation thing
> going on. like there's some perfect, attainable, 'vegan ideal' that they
> have to reach. especially the ones who make their lives miserable by

trying
> to weed out absolutely EVERYTHING, as in, not watching movies or reading
> books unless they've checked out the glue source on the binding. i mean,
> holy geez. i think choices that you make for yourself have to not make

you
> feel deprived, or you're going to totally start to loathe your existence

or
> throw the whole thing away because you've made it too hard. sure, eating
> analogues doesn't make sense to a lot of people.

=================
It shouldn't to you either, if saving animals is *really* a goal of yours.
But then, you've proven over and over that doing 'all you can' to eliminate
unnecessary death and suffering of animals is of absolutely no concern to
you.

it doesn't fit into the
> 'perfect' vegan mould. i should be happy with my brown rice and

vegetables
> right? but hey, we're humans, and most of us grew up eating animal
> products. so obviously, with the strong emotional connections to food,
> we're probably going to get nostalgic about animal foods sometimes. why

not
> just eat them? because i have chosen not to. and if there are analogues
> around that i like, what's wrong with me eating them? it's all just food,
> right?

====================
Food that caused more animal death and suffering, and far brutal, inhumane
deaths than if you just ate the real thing from the right source. Now, how
is that even coming close to the 'vegan' ideal, killer?

> > >You're right -- it's funny that those who shun meat so
> > >vociferously and go out of their ways to make scenes about it would

also
> get
> > >"nostalgic" (since she put it that way) about it and seek out stuff

that
> tastes
> > >just like the real dead animals they abhor.

> > That's the part I don't understand. If I thought a certain act was
> > repulsive, then I wouldn't want to take part in anything that comes
> > even close to that act or reminds of that act.

> well...here's the thing. chicken nuggets don't seem anything like

chicken,
> don't you think? in fact, i have a cousin who will eat chicken nuggets
> because they look so different from actual 'birdish' chicken, but won't go
> near any other chicken. which is extra weird since she's not anything

close
> to a vegetarian. meh. anyhow, point is, i've always been grossed out by
> chicken wings and stuff like that that has a bone that you have to gnaw

at.
> even when i was a kid, it repulsed me. and i grew up in a hunting/hick

farm
> type family. i mean, i grew up picking lead shot out of my dinner. we'd
> each have a little pile of shot on the side of our dinner plates.

ewwwwwww.
> anyhow, point is, not only do veggie chicken nuggets not taste like real
> chicken, they also don't have the same texture, or even remotely resemble
> real chicken. if anything comes too close to the real thing, it really

does
> gross me out. in general, i don't tend to eat analogues much at all.
> although i do have a soft spot for veggie dogs - again, something that in

no
> way resembles...what....a pile of assorted animal assholes are they? ()
> it's hard to explain, i know. it's the emotion connected to the old food
> item that you can access without actually consuming a product that comes
> close enough to the original 'meat' item to gross you out.

katie

"rick etter" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "katie" > wrote in message
> . rogers.com...
> >
> > "Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
> > news.com...

> remind
> > me

> > it's

> something

understand.

> vegan
> > stuff
> > >
> > > She does seem nice, but I'd have to agree that she probably hasn't
> > > thought this vegan stuff through very well. But then, it doesn't seem
> > > that many of them have.

> > i have thought it out quite well. here's the deal. some vegan folks

seem
> > to have this whole 'all or nothing' self loathing and deprivation thing
> > going on. like there's some perfect, attainable, 'vegan ideal' that

they
> > have to reach. especially the ones who make their lives miserable by

> trying
> > to weed out absolutely EVERYTHING, as in, not watching movies or reading
> > books unless they've checked out the glue source on the binding. i

mean,
> > holy geez. i think choices that you make for yourself have to not make

> you
> > feel deprived, or you're going to totally start to loathe your existence

> or
> > throw the whole thing away because you've made it too hard. sure,

eating
> > analogues doesn't make sense to a lot of people.

> =================
> It shouldn't to you either, if saving animals is *really* a goal of yours.
> But then, you've proven over and over that doing 'all you can' to

eliminate
> unnecessary death and suffering of animals is of absolutely no concern to
> you.

give it a rest man. we've all made our choices here. there's no need for
you to belittle everyone and harp the same repetitive crap at them. not to
mention that you can't assume that i don't make choices 'to eliminate
unnecessary death and suffering of animals,' when you don't know anything
about me, my lifestyle choices, or how i shop and eat. you're going on a
string of assumptions about me, and you don't even know me (or any of us
here, for that matter.) so just ratchet it back and chill out a little.

> it doesn't fit into the
> > 'perfect' vegan mould. i should be happy with my brown rice and

> vegetables
> > right? but hey, we're humans, and most of us grew up eating animal
> > products. so obviously, with the strong emotional connections to food,
> > we're probably going to get nostalgic about animal foods sometimes. why

> not
> > just eat them? because i have chosen not to. and if there are

analogues
> > around that i like, what's wrong with me eating them? it's all just

food,
> > right?

> ====================
> Food that caused more animal death and suffering, and far brutal, inhumane
> deaths than if you just ate the real thing from the right source. Now,

how
> is that even coming close to the 'vegan' ideal, killer?

there is absolutely no more evidence available for your position that a
vegan diet causes 'more animal death and suffering' than there is for the
position that a vegan diet causes less. there is no extensive research on
this stuff. you compare an 'ideal' omnivorous diet to a 'typical' vegan
one, while vegans compare an 'ideal' vegan diet to a 'typical' omnivorous
one. no one is going to 'prove' that they are right in this, so why not use
this forum as it was intended - to talk about vegan food, rather than the
'ethics' behind it? and the name calling is hardly necessary. calling
everyone 'killer' is completely unkind. if you truly want to be humane to
animals, why not start with your fellow human mammals, and try being nice?
it doesn't mean that you don't get to disagree with people's personal food
choices (not that what i choose to eat should be any of your concern), it
just means that you can be civil about it.

> also
> > get

> that
> > tastes
> > >
> > > That's the part I don't understand. If I thought a certain act was
> > > repulsive, then I wouldn't want to take part in anything that comes
> > > even close to that act or reminds of that act.

> > well...here's the thing. chicken nuggets don't seem anything like

> chicken,
> > don't you think? in fact, i have a cousin who will eat chicken nuggets
> > because they look so different from actual 'birdish' chicken, but won't

go
> > near any other chicken. which is extra weird since she's not anything

> close
> > to a vegetarian. meh. anyhow, point is, i've always been grossed out

by
> > chicken wings and stuff like that that has a bone that you have to gnaw

> at.
> > even when i was a kid, it repulsed me. and i grew up in a hunting/hick

> farm
> > type family. i mean, i grew up picking lead shot out of my dinner.

we'd
> > each have a little pile of shot on the side of our dinner plates.

> ewwwwwww.
> > anyhow, point is, not only do veggie chicken nuggets not taste like real
> > chicken, they also don't have the same texture, or even remotely

resemble
> > real chicken. if anything comes too close to the real thing, it really

> does
> > gross me out. in general, i don't tend to eat analogues much at all.
> > although i do have a soft spot for veggie dogs - again, something that

in
> no
> > way resembles...what....a pile of assorted animal assholes are they?

()
> > it's hard to explain, i know. it's the emotion connected to the old

food
> > item that you can access without actually consuming a product that comes
> > close enough to the original 'meat' item to gross you out.

rick etter

"katie" > wrote in message
ogers.com...

> "rick etter" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> >
> > "katie" > wrote in message
> > . rogers.com...
> > >
> > > "Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
> > > news.com...

> > remind
> > > me

but
> > > it's

> > something

> understand.

> > vegan
> > > stuff

seem

> > > i have thought it out quite well. here's the deal. some vegan folks

> seem
> > > to have this whole 'all or nothing' self loathing and deprivation

thing
> > > going on. like there's some perfect, attainable, 'vegan ideal' that

> they
> > > have to reach. especially the ones who make their lives miserable by

> > trying
> > > to weed out absolutely EVERYTHING, as in, not watching movies or

reading
> > > books unless they've checked out the glue source on the binding. i

> mean,
> > > holy geez. i think choices that you make for yourself have to not

make
> > you
> > > feel deprived, or you're going to totally start to loathe your

existence
> > or
> > > throw the whole thing away because you've made it too hard. sure,

> eating
> > > analogues doesn't make sense to a lot of people.

> > =================
> > It shouldn't to you either, if saving animals is *really* a goal of

yours.
> > But then, you've proven over and over that doing 'all you can' to

> eliminate
> > unnecessary death and suffering of animals is of absolutely no concern

> > you.

> give it a rest man. we've all made our choices here. there's no need for
> you to belittle everyone and harp the same repetitive crap at them.

========================
The same repetitive 'crap' is what comes from you, killer.

not to
> mention that you can't assume that i don't make choices 'to eliminate
> unnecessary death and suffering of animals,' when you don't know anything
> about me, my lifestyle choices, or how i shop and eat.

====================
Yes, I do. You are here on usenet fool. that alone proves that you really
care nothing about your unnecessary impact on animals. You're just another
in a long line of consumer oriented vegan loons that prefer thier selfish
convenince and entertainment.

you're going on a
> string of assumptions about me, and you don't even know me (or any of us
> here, for that matter.) so just ratchet it back and chill out a little.

=====================
I'm as chilled as could be. ou on the other hand know you have something to
hide, so you have to try and keep the lys going, eh hypocrite?

> > it doesn't fit into the
> > > 'perfect' vegan mould. i should be happy with my brown rice and

> > vegetables
> > > right? but hey, we're humans, and most of us grew up eating animal
> > > products. so obviously, with the strong emotional connections to

food,
> > > we're probably going to get nostalgic about animal foods sometimes.

why
> > not
> > > just eat them? because i have chosen not to. and if there are

> analogues
> > > around that i like, what's wrong with me eating them? it's all just

> food,
> > > right?

> > ====================
> > Food that caused more animal death and suffering, and far brutal,

inhumane
> > deaths than if you just ate the real thing from the right source. Now,

> how
> > is that even coming close to the 'vegan' ideal, killer?
> >

> there is absolutely no more evidence available for your position that a
> vegan diet causes 'more animal death and suffering' than there is for the
> position that a vegan diet causes less.

=======================
Yes, there is. Vegans always snip out that part of my posts, or just ignore
them completely. I guess that includes you too, eh killer?

there is no extensive research on
> this stuff. you compare an 'ideal' omnivorous diet to a 'typical' vegan
> one, while vegans compare an 'ideal' vegan diet to a 'typical' omnivorous
> one. no one is going to 'prove' that they are right in this, so why not

use
> this forum as it was intended - to talk about vegan food, rather than the
> 'ethics' behind it?

==========================
Because fool, I'm in an ethics newsgroup. Don't you know where you are,
killer?

and the name calling is hardly necessary. calling
> everyone 'killer' is completely unkind.

==================
No, it is not. It is the truth you ignorant fool.

if you truly want to be humane to
> animals, why not start with your fellow human mammals, and try being nice?

=======================
I am, to those that aren't ignorant hypocritical dolts, like you.

> it doesn't mean that you don't get to disagree with people's personal food
> choices (not that what i choose to eat should be any of your concern), it
> just means that you can be civil about it.

======================
You can't find anywhere that I am concerned about what you, or anyone else
eats. It's when you foolishly and ignorantly make claims about your diet
that you cannot back up that I remark on, killer. Ignorance and stupidity
do not need ivility, they need education. Too bad you're too brainwashed
and foolish to understand that, killer.

Now, go have that nice blood-drenched breakfast, hypocrite.

> > also
> > > get

> > that
> > > tastes

> > > well...here's the thing. chicken nuggets don't seem anything like

> > chicken,
> > > don't you think? in fact, i have a cousin who will eat chicken

nuggets
> > > because they look so different from actual 'birdish' chicken, but

won't
> go
> > > near any other chicken. which is extra weird since she's not anything

> > close
> > > to a vegetarian. meh. anyhow, point is, i've always been grossed out

> by
> > > chicken wings and stuff like that that has a bone that you have to

gnaw
> > at.
> > > even when i was a kid, it repulsed me. and i grew up in a

hunting/hick
> > farm
> > > type family. i mean, i grew up picking lead shot out of my dinner.

> we'd
> > > each have a little pile of shot on the side of our dinner plates.

> > ewwwwwww.
> > > anyhow, point is, not only do veggie chicken nuggets not taste like

real
> > > chicken, they also don't have the same texture, or even remotely

> resemble
> > > real chicken. if anything comes too close to the real thing, it

really
> > does
> > > gross me out. in general, i don't tend to eat analogues much at all.
> > > although i do have a soft spot for veggie dogs - again, something that

> in
> > no
> > > way resembles...what....a pile of assorted animal assholes are they?

> ()
> > > it's hard to explain, i know. it's the emotion connected to the old

> food
> > > item that you can access without actually consuming a product that

comes
> > > close enough to the original 'meat' item to gross you out.

Nick Masters

katie wrote:

> [...]

> ewwwwwww.
> > > anyhow, point is, not only do veggie chicken nuggets not taste like real
> > > chicken, they also don't have the same texture, or even remotely

> resemble
> > > real chicken. if anything comes too close to the real thing, it really

> does
> > > gross me out. in general, i don't tend to eat analogues much at all.
> > > although i do have a soft spot for veggie dogs - again, something that

> in
> no
> > > way resembles...what....a pile of assorted animal assholes are they?

> ()
> > > it's hard to explain, i know. it's the emotion connected to the old

> food
> > > item that you can access without actually consuming a product that comes
> > > close enough to the original 'meat' item to gross you out.

The reason the debate is moving onto ethics is because this is
cross-posted to the alt.animals.ethics.veg group as well.

What kinds of these 'meat substitute' foods do you eat? How much do
they taste like the real thing, and surely, you can't forget that it's
not *real* when you're eating it? I'm just curious - I've never tried
products such as Quorn, perhaps it's because I haven't actually eaten
meat before so I don't want to 'revisit' the taste. I do have some
friends who like the smell of sausages but are vegetarians, so your
idea sounds like a good one, I'd have to ask them more on this,
though.

And although I don't agree with everything that you say, it's clear
that you've got too much sense to be replying to posters who don't
respect your choices and your efforts to maintain a more beneficial
lifestyle.

Nick.
katie

"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
news.com...
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:51:02 GMT, "katie"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Common Man" <not.public@> wrote in message
> tnews.com...

remind
> >me

> >it's

something

understand.

vegan
> >stuff
> >>
> >> She does seem nice, but I'd have to agree that she probably hasn't
> >> thought this vegan stuff through very well. But then, it doesn't seem
> >> that many of them have.

> >i have thought it out quite well. here's the deal. some vegan folks

seem
> >to have this whole 'all or nothing' self loathing and deprivation thing
> >going on. like there's some perfect, attainable, 'vegan ideal' that they
> >have to reach. especially the ones who make their lives miserable by

trying
> >to weed out absolutely EVERYTHING, as in, not watching movies or reading
> >books unless they've checked out the glue source on the binding. i mean,
> >holy geez.

> Point taken. There are vegans that choose to not eat animal products,
> and then there are the extremists who are trying to attain a
> religious-like state of "vegan purity".

in that case, why not just choke yourself to death on an organic,
home-grown, carrot, and you'd save the most animals of all! () seriously,
it's impossible to be a true 'vegan' since there are animals in everything.
best not to torture yourself with it.

> I'd suspect that there vegans who wouldn't consider you to be a "real
> true vegan" because of your attitude. ;-)

probably. but who cares. everyone needs to set their own personal limits.
i just try to eat what feels healthy for me. except when exams hit. then
i'm like a vegan junk food magnet. damn the makers of tofutti cuties!
*yummy*

> [...]

does
> >gross me out. in general, i don't tend to eat analogues much at all.
> >although i do have a soft spot for veggie dogs - again, something that in

no
> >way resembles...what....a pile of assorted animal assholes are they? ()
> >it's hard to explain, i know. it's the emotion connected to the old food
> >item that you can access without actually consuming a product that comes
> >close enough to the original 'meat' item to gross you out.

> I retract my earlier statement Katie. You are a vegan simply because
> you personally don't like to eat meat, and there's absolutely nothing
> wrong with that. In your case it simply seems to be a personal
> decision. My problem is with the activist types who demand that we
> all follow their belief system, and you aren't one of those.

thanks for 'getting it.' that doesn't seem to happen often around here, eh?
() seriously though, i do have strong feelings about the very flawed food
production system that we have going on, and i don't feel personally
comfortable with the idea of eating animals (or think that they're healthy
for me at all), but hey, i'm not going to be like 'yo mister native
american, you should eat tofu instead of sustainably harvesting wild game in
your traditional, humane, and respectful manner.' but i would like to get
everyone to eat organically, sustainably grown foods, including meat if they
feel they must eat it. good holistic stuff. i think most folks could be
really healthy (and healthier) on a well planned vegan diet, but i know that
everyone isn't built the same, and i'm sure that there are some people who
truly couldn't thrive on it. everyone just has to find what's right for
them.

katie

"Nick Masters" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > close

out
> > by

gnaw
> > at.

hunting/hick
> > farm

> > we'd

> > ewwwwwww.

real

> > resemble

really
> > does

all.

that
> > in
> > no

> > ()

> > food

comes

> The reason the debate is moving onto ethics is because this is
> cross-posted to the alt.animals.ethics.veg group as well.

seems to always happen with this stuff, whether it moves there or not. 'i
have a recipe for carrots.' 'you eat carrots, you're a killer!' ()

> What kinds of these 'meat substitute' foods do you eat?
> How much do they taste like the real thing, and surely, you can't forget

that it's
> not *real* when you're eating it?

don't eat many, really. i try new ones every now and again, but the only
ones i eat regularly are veggie dogs and veggie burgers. i've tried vegan
schnitzel, weird viennese sausage thingers, chicken nuggets and patties,
ground round, bologna, pepperonis, turkey luncheon meat, and meatballs.
(oh, and some seriously hideous fake seafood that inadvertently came with my
vietnamese soup once. all exactly the same except shaped like different
foods ie shrimp, scallops...seriously nasty) there are many more but those
are the only ones i've tried, i think. i find that i didn't like most of
the things on that list. veggie dogs are a great hotdog sub, and my
mcdonalds loving best friend, who was reluctant to try them, totally loved
them. said that they didn't have the 'greasy animal feet' flavour that
regular hotdogs had. interesting thing to hear from a meat lover. veggie
burgers are good because they make it easier to eat out with family, but if
i'm at home, i don't usually buy them. i prefer to fry up a slab of tofu in
mushroom sauce, garlic, onion, and chili powder, and use that as a burger
patty. i have really come to love the taste of tofu, and it sits much
better than heavily processed analogues. the schnitzel and sausage things i
tried once, and they both tasted 'interesting' and made me feel sick. most
of this stuff doesn't sit well with me. too processed, i think. a giant
chunk of wheat gluten sitting in your belly (the chicken stuff anyway).
ick. i've tried ground round in tacos and sloppy joes, but it reminded me
too much of meat and really grossed me out. i love to make my sloppy joes
just with crumbled tofu, tastier and healthier. pepperonis were interesting
to try, but i feel no need to consume them. same with bologna. meatballs
made me feel sick and weren't too good. i would buy the turkey luncheon
meat occasionally, because i have stumbled upon a gut-busting,
greasily-delicious cooking accident with them. 12 grain bread fried up w/
earth balance like a grilled cheese, with 'american' tofutti slices,
turkey-ish stuff, and a layer of sliced olives...frigging delicious for
those 'must have grease' days. anyhow, most of thist stuff doesn't taste
much at all like the 'real' thing, but has something about it (slight
flavour, texture, shape) that is close enough to the original to 'work'
somehow...sometimes. can't forget it's real, but sometimes (especially with
fake beef), i worry that it's real and i just can't tell. but it's been so
long since i ate beef, i just can't remember it accurately, and i'm sure if
i did get fed some masquerading as veg beef, i'd be able to tell.

> I'm just curious - I've never tried
> products such as Quorn, perhaps it's because I haven't actually eaten
> meat before so I don't want to 'revisit' the taste.

i don't think you're missing anything. except maybe a tummy ache ()

I do have some
> friends who like the smell of sausages but are vegetarians, so your
> idea sounds like a good one, I'd have to ask them more on this,
> though.
>
> And although I don't agree with everything that you say, it's clear
> that you've got too much sense to be replying to posters who don't
> respect your choices and your efforts to maintain a more beneficial
> lifestyle.

awww, thank you () i'm glad there are nice people around here!

Honey Julie Bove Diabetic 24 23-06-2009 03:16 AM
Honey cybercat General Cooking 33 26-06-2008 04:15 PM
How do you like your honey?- Honey Bars recipe Julia Altshuler General Cooking 0 30-01-2008 02:42 PM
Honey!....Is there a Use By Date for Honey?... Bigbazza[_7_] General Cooking 2 02-01-2008 12:22 PM
Jan: Church's Honey Biscuits with Honey Butter Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-05-2004 01:24 PM