Default concealed genius?

From: Jonathan Ball >
Newsgroups: talk.politics.animals
Subject: OT: A great one nears the end
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:52:33 GMT

Reagan was a great president. I do not use "great" to
mean he did much with which I agreed, although I did
agree with much of what Reagan did
or obvious idiocy?
Anonymouse Unbeknownst

Reagan was a second-rate Hollywood actor who came to the Presidency when he
was already half-senile.

> wrote in message
> __________________________________________________ _______
> From: Jonathan Ball >
> Newsgroups: talk.politics.animals
> Subject: OT: A great one nears the end
> Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:52:33 GMT
>
> Reagan was a great president. I do not use "great" to
> mean he did much with which I agreed, although I did
> agree with much of what Reagan did
> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
> or obvious idiocy?

Immortalist

Default Ronald Reagan - concealed genius?

Ronald Reagan

At the end of his two terms in office, Ronald Reagan viewed with satisfaction the
achievements of his innovative program known as the Reagan Revolution, which
aimed to reinvigorate the American people and reduce their reliance upon
Government. He felt he had fulfilled his campaign pledge of 1980 to restore "the
great, confident roar of American progress and growth and optimism."

On February 6, 1911, Ronald Wilson Reagan was born to Nelle and John Reagan in
Tampico, Illinois. He attended high school in nearby Dixon and then worked his
way through Eureka College. There, he studied economics and sociology, played on
the football team, and acted in school plays. Upon graduation, he became a radio
sports announcer. A screen test in 1937 won him a contract in Hollywood. During
the next two decades he appeared in 53 films.

From his first marriage to actress Jane Wyman, he had two children, Maureen and
Michael. Maureen passed away in 2001. In 1952 he married Nancy Davis, who was
also an actress, and they had two children, Patricia Ann and Ronald Prescott.

As president of the Screen Actors Guild, Reagan became embroiled in disputes over
the issue of Communism in the film industry; his political views shifted from
liberal to conservative. He toured the country as a television host, becoming a
spokesman for conservatism. In 1966 he was elected Governor of California by a
margin of a million votes; he was re-elected in 1970.

Ronald Reagan won the Republican Presidential nomination in 1980 and chose as his
running mate former Texas Congressman and United Nations Ambassador George Bush.
Voters troubled by inflation and by the year-long confinement of Americans in
Iran swept the Republican ticket into office. Reagan won 489 electoral votes to
49 for President Jimmy Carter.

On January 20, 1981, Reagan took office. Only 69 days later he was shot by a
would-be assassin, but quickly recovered and returned to duty. His grace and wit
during the dangerous incident caused his popularity to soar.

Dealing skillfully with Congress, Reagan obtained legislation to stimulate
economic growth, curb inflation, increase employment, and strengthen national
defense. He embarked upon a course of cutting taxes and Government expenditures,
refusing to deviate from it when the strengthening of defense forces led to a
large deficit.

A renewal of national self-confidence by 1984 helped Reagan and Bush win a second
term with an unprecedented number of electoral votes. Their victory turned away
Democratic challengers Walter F. Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro.

In 1986 Reagan obtained an overhaul of the income tax code, which eliminated many
deductions and exempted millions of people with low incomes. At the end of his
administration, the Nation was enjoying its longest recorded period of peacetime
prosperity without recession or depression.

In foreign policy, Reagan sought to achieve "peace through strength." During his
two terms he increased defense spending 35 percent, but sought to improve
relations with the Soviet Union. In dramatic meetings with Soviet leader Mikhail
Gorbachev, he negotiated a treaty that would eliminate intermediate-range nuclear
missiles. Reagan declared war against international terrorism, sending American
bombers against Libya after evidence came out that Libya was involved in an
attack on American soldiers in a West Berlin nightclub.

By ordering naval escorts in the Persian Gulf, he maintained the free flow of oil
during the Iran-Iraq war. In keeping with the Reagan Doctrine, he gave support to
anti-Communist insurgencies in Central America, Asia, and Africa.

Overall, the Reagan years saw a restoration of prosperity, and the goal of peace
through strength seemed to be within grasp.

For more information about President Reagan, please visit
http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/

http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/rr40.html

> wrote in message
> __________________________________________________ _______
> From: Jonathan Ball >
> Newsgroups: talk.politics.animals
> Subject: OT: A great one nears the end
> Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:52:33 GMT
>
> Reagan was a great president. I do not use "great" to
> mean he did much with which I agreed, although I did
> agree with much of what Reagan did
> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
> or obvious idiocy?

Anonymouse Unbeknownst

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

"Immortalist" > wrote in message
> Ronald Reagan
>
> At the end of his two terms in office, Ronald Reagan viewed with

satisfaction the
> achievements of his innovative program known as the Reagan Revolution,

which
> aimed to reinvigorate the American people and reduce their reliance upon
> Government. He felt he had fulfilled his campaign pledge of 1980 to

restore "the
> great, confident roar of American progress and growth and optimism."
>
> On February 6, 1911, Ronald Wilson Reagan was born to Nelle and John

Reagan in
> Tampico, Illinois. He attended high school in nearby Dixon and then worked

his
> way through Eureka College. There, he studied economics and sociology,

played on
> the football team, and acted in school plays. Upon graduation, he became a

radio
> sports announcer. A screen test in 1937 won him a contract in Hollywood.

During
> the next two decades he appeared in 53 films.
>
> From his first marriage to actress Jane Wyman, he had two children,

Maureen and

------

> For more information about President Reagan, please visit
> http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/
>
> http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/rr40.html
>

> > wrote in message
> > __________________________________________________ _______
> > From: Jonathan Ball >
> > Newsgroups: talk.politics.animals
> > Subject: OT: A great one nears the end
> > Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:52:33 GMT
> >
> > Reagan was a great president. I do not use "great" to
> > mean he did much with which I agreed, although I did
> > agree with much of what Reagan did
> > ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
> > or obvious idiocy?

rick etter

"Anonymouse Unbeknownst" > wrote in message
> Good riddance to bad rubbish.

==============
Yeah, I'm sure you would prefer the self-admitted war criminal, kerry, eh
killer?

> [...]

> > Overall, the Reagan years saw a restoration of prosperity, and the goal

of
> peace
> > through strength seemed to be within grasp.

> ------
> >
> > For more information about President Reagan, please visit
> > http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/
> >
> > http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/rr40.html
> >

> > > wrote in message
> > > __________________________________________________ _______
> > > From: Jonathan Ball >
> > > Newsgroups: talk.politics.animals
> > > Subject: OT: A great one nears the end
> > > Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:52:33 GMT
> > >
> > > Reagan was a great president. I do not use "great" to
> > > mean he did much with which I agreed, although I did
> > > agree with much of what Reagan did
> > > ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Immortalist

"Anonymouse Unbeknownst" > wrote in message
> Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Can you define bad rubbish and show how person is it?

> [...]

> > anti-Communist insurgencies in Central America, Asia, and Africa.
> >
> > Overall, the Reagan years saw a restoration of prosperity, and the goal of

> peace
> > through strength seemed to be within grasp.

> ------
> >
> > For more information about President Reagan, please visit
> > http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/
> >
> > http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/rr40.html
> >

> > > wrote in message
> > > __________________________________________________ _______
> > > From: Jonathan Ball >
> > > Newsgroups: talk.politics.animals
> > > Subject: OT: A great one nears the end
> > > Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:52:33 GMT
> > >
> > > Reagan was a great president. I do not use "great" to
> > > mean he did much with which I agreed, although I did
> > > agree with much of what Reagan did
> > > ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Keynes

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 21:08:53 -0700, "Immortalist" >
wrote:

>"Anonymouse Unbeknownst" > wrote in message
>> Good riddance to bad rubbish.
>>

>Can you define bad rubbish and show how person is it?

"Trees cause pollution." -- R Reagan, playing presidential.
"Catsup is a vegetable." -- E Butz, Sec of Ag. on reducing school lunches.
"Jesus is coming soon." so why save environment? -- J Watts, Sec of Int.
"Off the shelf operation." -- Casey, DCIA Iran-Contra black ops warrior
"I did it and I'm Glad." -- Ollie North, traitor and thief
"I don't remember. (wink, wink)" -- R Reagan under investigation.
"I was out of the loop." VP GHW Bush. (I know nothing. noth-thing.)

The Reagan administration was the most corrupt in US history.
The most serious crimes, most indictments and convictions.
(Overturned by friendly judges on appeal, due to immunity,
and pardons by GHW Bush on his election. The records
of that admin have been sealed by dubya.)

Even aside from the policy differences that led to treason,
there were embezzlement and crony giveaways to mining,
logging, HUD, etc. The environment was decimated.
The great deficits of the Reagan/Bush, Bush/Quayle years
have never been paid off, and dubya has done his best to
increase the slide to national bankruptcy.

Under Reagan incentives to business were begun for the
export of american factories and jobs. The MI complex
began the great SDI Starwars defense system boondogle
which dubya revived. Reagan repealed the FCC fairness doctrine
and weakened enforcement of just about all business controls,
particularly monopoly consolidation. Powell junior is carrying
on the FCC tradition of complete media monopoly. Yay.

Reagan Lied to the american people (and congress) about
"arms for hostages" and "negotiating with terrorists" while running
an illegal war (against the will of congress, namely us) in Nicaragua.
He also supported death squads all over central and south america,
El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru (Pinochet), the great murdering
in Argentina, and death squads all over Africa.. He is the hero
of all dictators everywhere.

He aided Sadaam Husein during the Kurd gassing and Iran war
(with Rumsfeld and Cheney). His CIA corrupted the clerics in
Saudi Arabia to militarize wahabbism and spread it all over the
world, particularly in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Osama was
on the CIA payroll to recruit mujahadeen to drive the Soviets
and their allies, the northern alliance, out of Afghanistan.
(We had to reverse this policy after Osama got frisky.)
We knew where the caves were in Afghanistan, because
the CIA virtually built them.

Reagan had the marines take sides in Lebanon,
leading to terrorist bombing of 240 marines there. So we ran
away. But to prove our strength, we sent a huge combined
operation into the tiny island of Grenada to defeat a few dozen
Cubans who were building an airfield. Whatta comedy.
We were tripping all over ourselves there.

Reagan brought mourning to America, and it still continues.
I'd rather think him a fool than to think he knew all the
harm he was doing. During his presidency, especially
the second term (as shown in the debates), he appeared
unable to separate fact from fiction. But he never was a
very clever man, although charming. He was a convincing
actor. Mike Deever, his trainer, said, "We could tell him
to go out and pick up an acorn on TV and he'd do it."
He took direction all his life. His handler R Ailes now heads
Fox TV. They made sure to get Ronny on TV every night,
smiling next to a flag somewhere. Great flaks, but all show.
The Reagan administaration was Evil and Stupid.
And now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Pale Pink Botty in Wales

Greatest job of concealment in history.

> wrote in message
> __________________________________________________ _______
> From: Jonathan Ball >
> Newsgroups: talk.politics.animals
> Subject: OT: A great one nears the end
> Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:52:33 GMT
>
> Reagan was a great president. I do not use "great" to
> mean he did much with which I agreed, although I did
> agree with much of what Reagan did
> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
> or obvious idiocy?

Anonymouse Unbeknownst

I suppose you're also a Bush fan - the Texas Mass Murderer turned
international genocidist?

"rick etter" > wrote in message
link.net...

> [...]

> > American
> > > bombers against Libya after evidence came out that Libya was involved

in
> > an
> > > attack on American soldiers in a West Berlin nightclub.
> > >
> > > By ordering naval escorts in the Persian Gulf, he maintained the free

> flow
> > of oil
> > > during the Iran-Iraq war. In keeping with the Reagan Doctrine, he gave

> > support to
> > > anti-Communist insurgencies in Central America, Asia, and Africa.
> > >
> > > Overall, the Reagan years saw a restoration of prosperity, and the

goal
> of
> > peace
> > > through strength seemed to be within grasp.

> > ------
> > >
> > > For more information about President Reagan, please visit

Anonymouse Unbeknownst

"Immortalist" > wrote in message

> "Anonymouse Unbeknownst" > wrote in message
> > Good riddance to bad rubbish.
> >

> Can you define bad rubbish and show how person is it?

Ol' Raygun defined it very well in terms of himself. There is no need to
elaborate.

Karl Hungus

"Keynes" > wrote in message

> The Reagan administration was the most corrupt in US history.
> The most serious crimes, most indictments and convictions.
> (Overturned by friendly judges on appeal, due to immunity,
> and pardons by GHW Bush on his election. The records
> of that admin have been sealed by dubya.)
>
> Even aside from the policy differences that led to treason,
> there were embezzlement and crony giveaways to mining,
> logging, HUD, etc. The environment was decimated.
> The great deficits of the Reagan/Bush, Bush/Quayle years
> have never been paid off, and dubya has done his best to
> increase the slide to national bankruptcy.

<snipped remainder of tirade>

You're going to need this:
http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

The voices are real, and they're being projected into what's left of your
mind by the CIA.

Anonymouse Unbeknownst

Another rightie bites the dust <plonk!>

"Karl Hungus" > wrote in message

> "Keynes" > wrote in message
> >
> > The Reagan administration was the most corrupt in US history.
> > The most serious crimes, most indictments and convictions.
> > (Overturned by friendly judges on appeal, due to immunity,
> > and pardons by GHW Bush on his election. The records
> > of that admin have been sealed by dubya.)
> >
> > Even aside from the policy differences that led to treason,
> > there were embezzlement and crony giveaways to mining,
> > logging, HUD, etc. The environment was decimated.
> > The great deficits of the Reagan/Bush, Bush/Quayle years
> > have never been paid off, and dubya has done his best to
> > increase the slide to national bankruptcy.

> <snipped remainder of tirade>
>
> You're going to need this:
> http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html
>
> The voices are real, and they're being projected into what's left of your
> mind by the CIA.

Immortalist

"Anonymouse Unbeknownst" > wrote in message

> "Immortalist" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Anonymouse Unbeknownst" > wrote in message

> > > Good riddance to bad rubbish.

> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=alt.dumpster

> > Can you define bad rubbish and show how person is it?
> >

> Ol' Raygun defined it very well in terms of himself. There is no need to
> elaborate.

http://www.insanereagan.com/images/wolf_protest.jpg
http://www.insanereagan.com/theater.shtml
http://www.insanereagan.com/

We've got the kind of President who thinks that arms control means some kind of
deodorant.
- Pat Schroeder, on Ronald Reagan

The mad dog of the Middle East
- Ronald Reagan, on Colonel Gadaffi

Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours,
and recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his.
- Ronald Reagan

The signs of the Vietnam War protestors said "Make Love not War!" It didn't seem
to me that they were capable of either.
- Ronald Reagan

We are especially not going to tolerate these attacks from outlaw states run by
the strangest collection of misfits, Looney Tunes and squalid criminals since the
advent of the Third Reich.
- Ronald Reagan, on the hijacking of a US plane in 1985

I know for a fact that Mr Reagan is not clear about the difference between the
Medici and the Gucci. He knows that Nancy wears one.
- Gore Vidal, on Ronald Reagan

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize
that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
- Ronald Reagan

A triumph of the embalmers art.
- Gore Vidal, on Ronald Reagan

He has a chance to make somebody move over on Mount Rushmore. He's working for
his place on the coins and the postage stamps.
- Henry Graff, on Ronald Reagan

In a disastrous fire in President Reagan's library both books were destroyed. And
the real tragedy is that he hadn't finished coloring one.
- Jonathan Hunt, on Ronald Reagan

In the heat of a political lifetime, he innocently squirrels away tidbits of
misinformation and then, sometimes years later, casually drops them into his
public discourse, like gumballs in a quiche.
- Lucy Howard, on Ronald Reagan

People say satire is dead. It's not dead; it's alive and living in the White
House. He makes a Macy's Thanksgiving Day float look ridiculous. I think he's
slowly but surely regressing into movies again. In his mind he's looking at
dailies, playing dailies over and over.
- Robin Williams, on Ronald Reagan

I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even
if I'm in a cabinet meeting.
- Ronald Reagan

Reagan won because he ran against Jimmy Carter, if he'd run unopposed he would
have lost.
- Mort Sahl, on Ronald Reagan

What makes him think a middle-aged actor, who's played with a chimp, could have a
future in politics?
- Ronald Reagan, on Clint Eastwood running for mayor of Carmel

Compared to the Clintons, Reagan is living proof that a Republican with half a
brain is better than a Democrat with two.
- P.J. O'Rourke, on Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan couldn't be here tonight, he's posing for the cover of 'Guns and
Ammo'.
- Johnny Carson, on Ronald Reagan

He doesn't die his hair - he's just prematurely orange.
- Gerald Ford, on Ronald Reagan

He doesn't die his hair, he bleaches his face.
- Johnny Carson, on Ronald Reagan

He has a chance to make somebody move over on Mount Rushmore. He's working for
his place on the coins and the postage stamps.
- Henry Graff, on Ronald Reagan

I believe that Ronald Reagan will someday make this country what it once was...
an arctic wilderness.
- Steve Martin, on Ronald Reagan

I think Nancy does most of his talking; you'll notice that she never drinks water
when Ronnie speaks.
- Robin Williams, on Ronald Reagan

I hear Reagan sleeps a lot; I think its good that we have a sleeping President -
the more he sleeps, the safer we are.
- Arlo Guthrie, on Ronald Reagan

The youthful sparkle in his eyes is caused by his contact lenses, which he keeps
highly polished.
- Sheila Graham, on Ronald Reagan

My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which
outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes.
- Ronald Reagan, said during a radio microphone test, 1984

Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you
disgrace yourself you can always write a book.
- Ronald Reagan

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other.
- Ronald Reagan

Washington could not tell a lie; Nixon could not tell the truth; Reagan cannot
tell the difference.
- Mort Sahl, on Ronald Reagan

"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself."

"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency —
even if I'm in a Cabinet meeting."

"Well, I learned a lot....I went down to (Latin America) to find out from them
and (learn) their views. You'd be surprised. They're all individual countries"

"My fellow Americans. I'm pleased to announce that I've signed legislation
outlawing the Soviet Union. We begin bombing in five minutes." –joking during a
mike check before his Saturday radio broadcast

"I don't know. I've never played a governor." –asked by a reporter in 1966 what
kind of governor he would be

"Facts are stupid things." –at the 1988 Republican National Convention,
attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize
that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

"Trees cause more pollution than automobiles."

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk."

"They say hard work never hurt anybody, but I figure why take the chance."

"There is absolutely no circumstance whatever under which I would accept that
spot. Even if they tied and gagged me, I would find a way to signal by wiggling
my ears." –on possibly being offered the vice presidency in 1968

"You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one
color or just grabs a handful." –explaining why he liked to have a jar of jelly
beans on hand for important meetings

"I hope you're all Republicans." -speaking to surgeons as he entered the
operating room following his assassination attempt

"I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am
not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and
inexperience." -during a 1984 presidential debate with Walter Mondale

"The state of California has no business subsidizing intellectual
curiosity." –responding to student protests on college campuses during his tenure
as California governor

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released
by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission
standards from man-made sources."

"Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose
yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his."

"We are trying to get unemployment to go up, and I think we're going to succeed."

"As a matter of fact, Nancy never had any interest in politics or anything else
when we got married."

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."

"I'm afraid I can't use a mule. I have several hundred up on Capitol
Hill." –refusing a gift of a mule

"What we have found in this country, and maybe we're more aware of it now, is one
problem that we've had, even in the best of times, and that is the people who are
sleeping on the grates, the homeless who are homeless, you might say, by choice."

"How are you, Mr. Mayor? I'm glad to meet you. How are things in your
city?" –greeting Samual Pierce, his secretary of Housing and Urban Development,
during a White House reception for mayors

"My name is Ronald Reagan. What's yours?" –introducing himself after delivering a
prep school commencement address. The individual responded, "I'm your son, Mike,"
to which Reagan replied, "Oh, I didn't recognize you."

"Politics is just like show business. You have a hell of an opening, you coast
for awhile, you have a hell of a closing."

"What does an actor know about politics?" –criticizing Ed Asner for opposing
American foreign policy

"What makes him think a middle-aged actor, who's played with a chimp, could have
a future in politics?" -on Clint Eastwood's bid to become mayor of Carmel

"How can a president not be an actor?" -when asked "How could an actor become
president?'

http://www.politicaltoons.com/flash/hasta_la_vista.cfm

Wilson Woods

Keynes wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 21:08:53 -0700, "Immortalist" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Anonymouse Unbeknownst" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Good riddance to bad rubbish.
>>>

>>Can you define bad rubbish and show how person is it?
>>

> "Trees cause pollution." -- R Reagan, playing presidential.

Read it and weep, crybaby:

When Ronald Reagan said trees caused pollution, most
people thought he was up a gum tree. Australian
researchers have now discovered that, in the case of
eucalypts at least, the President was right after all.
http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/template.cfm?name=Reaganright

> "Catsup is a vegetable." -- E Butz, Sec of Ag. on reducing school lunches.

Butz never said it. You fabricated it.

> "Jesus is coming soon." so why save environment? -- J Watts, Sec of Int.

You took Watt out of context. He didn't say what
you're trying to make him appear to have said. You
fabricated it.

The name is Watt, not "Watts". You stupid shitbag.

> "Off the shelf operation." -- Casey, DCIA Iran-Contra black ops warrior
> "I did it and I'm Glad." -- Ollie North, traitor and thief
> "I don't remember. (wink, wink)" -- R Reagan under investigation.
> "I was out of the loop." VP GHW Bush. (I know nothing. noth-thing.)
>
> The Reagan administration was the most corrupt in US history.

No, it wasn't. Not even close.

> [snip remaining rabidly partisan foam and blah-blah-blah]

You just don't get it. You don't have to *like* what
Reagan did in order to judge him great. I don't like
most of what FDR and LBJ did, but there is no escaping
the fact that those two fundamentally changed the
policy landscape.

Reagan did so at least as much. In the L.A. Times
today (Sunday, 06/06), their political analyst Ronald
Brownstein quotes a Democrat who sums it up succinctly
and correctly:

During the New Deal period ushered in by Roosevelt,
"the burden of proof was on those who tried to argue
that government should not act," said veteran
Democratic strategist Bill Galston. "But in the era
of Reagan, which I think we are still in, the burden
of proof is on those who think the government should
act. And if you bear the burden of proof, you have
the problem."

http://tinyurl.com/23vdq

I was just about 28 years old for the election of 1980,
and I remember it and the next few years very vividly.
Reagan DID, fundamentally, change the terms of
debate. For 50 years before Reagan, the
government-knows-best statists of the Democratic party
controlled the debate. There were lone dissenters who
argued that government didn't know best and that we
didn't need a nanny state, but the statists
condescendingly dismissed them with arrogant,
patronizing chuckles, and got away with it.

Reagan almost singlehandedly put a stop to that. Very
suddenly, the statists were on the intellectual
defensive, and it showed. Man, did it show! They
simply didn't know how to deal with being outsiders,
after 50 years of unchallenged power. This sudden
dumping explains all the futile vitriol directed toward
Reagan. Reagan didn't actually DO anything that
merited the vitriol, except that he stopped the
statists from doing what they wanted to do.

That's a great accomplishment, whether or not you like it.

As Galston notes, we ARE still in the era of Ronald
Reagan. Presidents Hillary and Bill Clinton learned
that when they got the LIVING SHIT KICKED OUT OF THEM
(YEAH!) on their attempt to nationalize health care.
If Reagan hadn't changed the terms of debate, Billary
would have won on health care, and we would today be
waiting 6-9 months for coronary bypass surgery, three
years for a flu shot, and everyone with eyeglasses
would be wearing the Kurt Rambis model with 8-year-old
prescriptions.

You can thank Reagan for the 1996 welfare reform act,
California's 1996 Proposition 209 (outlawed affirmative
action) and 1998 Proposition 227 (outlawed bilingual
education), all truly good and outstanding measures.
Reagan created the framework that allowed those
measures to be conceived and win.

Reagan, both Roosevelts, Wilson and Johnson: those
were the great U.S. presidents of the 20th century.
Nixon came close, but didn't fundamentally change
anything. No one else came close, most especially John
Kennedy; give Kennedy some credit, though, for staring
down the Russians in 1962.

Wilson Woods

More from Ronald Brownstein's political analysis in
todays L.A. Times:

But Reagan established the foundation for the GOP gains
since then. Both the Republican majority in the House
and Senate, as well as George W. Bush's razor-thin
electoral college majority in 2000, rest on the party's
dominance in the South, an advantage bequeathed to them
largely by Reagan.

Reagan also triggered changes that helped revive the
Democrats. His 49-state victory over Walter F. Mondale
in 1984 inspired the creation of the centrist
Democratic Leadership Council, which spearheaded the
critique of traditional liberalism that led to
Clinton's "New Democratic" message and his presidential
victories in the 1990s.

"It was the 1984 election that I think convinced people
… that the old version of the Democratic Party,
whatever its historical and moral merits, was no longer
a viable majority party," said Galston, who served as
Mondale's issues director in 1984 and later worked in
the Clinton White House.

Much of Clinton's agenda — which sought to balance
opportunity and responsibility and prove that
government activism was compatible with fiscal
restraint — tried to retool liberalism to respond to
Reagan's criticisms of it.

At the same time, Reagan inspired thousands of young
conservatives who have come to dominate every aspect of
the Republican Party, from its elected officials to its
executive-branch appointees and political strategists.
Almost everything about George W. Bush's presidency —
from its focus on tax cuts to its moral certitude —
reflects Reagan's imprint more than that of Bush's
father, George H.W. Bush.

This may be the most telling measure of Reagan's
impact. He shook the political landscape so powerfully
that he became one of the few who profoundly influenced
both major parties, forcing Democrats toward the center
while tilting Republicans toward the right.

Long after he returned to California, Reagan shaped the
choices that his successors could pursue. He does so
even today.

http://tinyurl.com/23vdq

rick etter

"Anonymouse Unbeknownst" > wrote in message
> I suppose you're also a Bush fan - the Texas Mass Murderer turned
> international genocidist?
> ====================

Unlike J. 'effing' Kkkerrry, I don't beleive that the Pres has admitted to
commiting war crimes.

Too bad you can't say the same for your guy.

> "rick etter" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >
> > "Anonymouse Unbeknownst" > wrote in message
> > > Good riddance to bad rubbish.

> > ==============
> > Yeah, I'm sure you would prefer the self-admitted war criminal, kerry,

> [...]

usual suspect

Wilson Woods wrote:

> [...]

> That's a great accomplishment, whether or not you like it.
>
> As Galston notes, we ARE still in the era of Ronald Reagan. Presidents
> Hillary and Bill Clinton learned that when they got the LIVING SHIT
> KICKED OUT OF THEM (YEAH!) on their attempt to nationalize health care.
> If Reagan hadn't changed the terms of debate, Billary would have won on
> health care, and we would today be waiting 6-9 months for coronary
> bypass surgery, three years for a flu shot, and everyone with eyeglasses
> would be wearing the Kurt Rambis model with 8-year-old prescriptions.
>
> You can thank Reagan for the 1996 welfare reform act, California's 1996
> Proposition 209 (outlawed affirmative action) and 1998 Proposition 227
> (outlawed bilingual education), all truly good and outstanding measures.
> Reagan created the framework that allowed those measures to be conceived

Don't forget the role of the Reagan revolution in changing the majority party in
the Congress some five years after he left the White House. When Bill Clinton
made his State of the Union speech in 1995, just a couple weeks after Speaker
Gingrich had been sworn in, even he said, "The era of big government is over."
If only that were true, but you're correct in pointing that even Clinton "got
it" following the healthcare debacle and his first mid-term elections.

> Reagan, both Roosevelts, Wilson and Johnson: those were the great U.S.
> presidents of the 20th century. Nixon came close, but didn't
> fundamentally change anything. No one else came close, most especially
> John Kennedy; give Kennedy some credit, though, for staring down the
> Russians in 1962.

Also give Kennedy a little credit for supply-side tax cuts to stimulate the economy.

usual suspect

Anonymouse Unbeknownst wrote:

> I suppose you're also a Bush fan - the Texas Mass Murderer

Whom has President Bush murdered?

> turned international genocidist?

Genocide is a war crime. Have you any evidence of such an atrocity or are you
blowing a bunch of air out of your fat ass?

Anonymouse Unbeknownst

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> Anonymouse Unbeknownst wrote:
>
> > I suppose you're also a Bush fan - the Texas Mass Murderer

> Whom has President Bush murdered?

152 people during his tenure as Governor of Texas.
10,000+ in Afghanistan (and counting).
Multiple tens of thousands in Iraq (and counting).

Wilson Woods

usual suspect wrote:
> [...]

>> LIVING SHIT KICKED OUT OF THEM (YEAH!) on their attempt to nationalize
>> health care. If Reagan hadn't changed the terms of debate, Billary
>> would have won on health care, and we would today be waiting 6-9
>> months for coronary bypass surgery, three years for a flu shot, and
>> everyone with eyeglasses would be wearing the Kurt Rambis model with
>> 8-year-old prescriptions.
>>
>> You can thank Reagan for the 1996 welfare reform act, California's
>> 1996 Proposition 209 (outlawed affirmative action) and 1998
>> Proposition 227 (outlawed bilingual education), all truly good and
>> outstanding measures. Reagan created the framework that allowed those
>> measures to be conceived and win.

> Don't forget the role of the Reagan revolution in changing the majority
> party in the Congress some five years after he left the White House.

I'm sure his influence helped, but the trends resulting
in that had been going on since the 1960s. See Kevin
Philips's classic "The Emerging Republican Majority",
published in 1969. This is probably one area in which
Nixon did more than Reagan. Reagan helped to solidify
what Nixon had begun.

> When Bill Clinton made his State of the Union speech in 1995, just a
> couple weeks after Speaker Gingrich had been sworn in, even he said,
> "The era of big government is over." If only that were true, but you're
> correct in pointing that even Clinton "got it" following the healthcare
> debacle and his first mid-term elections.

Yes, if only it were true. Now, unfortunately, we have
Republicans pushing Big Government, in a big way. See
what The Economist had to say about this, particularly
concerning John Ashcroft, a year ago May:
http://tinyurl.com/u7rn (Look for an earlier
reference to that URL in t.p.a. earlier this year; the
whole Economist article is there.)

>> Reagan, both Roosevelts, Wilson and Johnson: those were the great
>> U.S. presidents of the 20th century. Nixon came close, but didn't
>> fundamentally change anything. No one else came close, most
>> especially John Kennedy; give Kennedy some credit, though, for staring
>> down the Russians in 1962.

> Also give Kennedy a little credit for supply-side tax cuts to stimulate
> the economy.

usual suspect

Keynes wrote:
<snip misquotes>
> The Reagan administration was the most corrupt in US history.

Any evidence, specifically any comparison between the Reagan adminitstration
and, let's say, the Clinton administration?

> The most serious crimes, most indictments and convictions.

Such as?

> (Overturned by friendly judges on appeal, due to immunity,

Immunity agreements should be respected. One glaring difference between the two
men -- Oliver North and John Poindexter -- whom you accuse of "serious crimes"
and those of the Clinton administration: nobody implicated in Iran-Contra
profited personally. Oh, Ollie North got a security fence after terrorists
singled him and his family out for reprisal. The fact remains that the "serious
crimes" which trouble you so were intended to secure the release of hostages in
Beirut and to fund democratic opposition to the Sandanista tyrants in Nicaragua.
The only "law" that was broken was an *unconstitutional* amendment (by
Congressman Boland) to an appropriations bill; Congress merely attempted to
hamstring the President's foreign policy -- a violation of the separation of
powers in the Constitution (where's your outrage for Congressman Boland?).

Comparatively, everything which the Clintons and their friends were either
accused or convicted was personal gain. Cattle future profits, Whitewater, Mike
Espy's "gifts," Web Hubbell's shady dealings, Jim Guy Tucker's shady dealings,
the McDougals, et al. Birds of a feather flock together. What a sleazy bunch.

> and pardons by GHW Bush on his election. The records
> of that admin have been sealed by dubya.)
>
> Even aside from the policy differences that led to treason,

Whom are you implicating in treason?

> there were embezzlement and crony giveaways to mining,
> logging, HUD, etc. The environment was decimated.

The environment was better after 12 years of Reagan-Bush-Quayle. Don't forget
who signed the Clean Air Act.

> The great deficits of the Reagan/Bush, Bush/Quayle years
> have never been paid off,

We're still working off the deficits run up under President Malaise, I mean Carter.

> and dubya has done his best to
> increase the slide to national bankruptcy.

President Bush inherited a sputtering economy, which was dealt a severe setback
on 11 Sept 01 (another little problem inherited from the previous incompetent
administration).

> Under Reagan incentives to business were begun for the
> export of american factories and jobs.

Many of those programs began in the Eisenhower administration, some earlier than
that.

> The MI complex
> began the great SDI Starwars defense system boondogle

That "boondoggle" beat the Soviets and ended the Cold War. Read Gorbachev's
column eulogizing President Reagan and giving him a lot of credit for ending the
Cold War peacefully.

> which dubya revived. Reagan repealed the FCC fairness doctrine

Good! (Even though you oppose free speech.)

> and weakened enforcement of just about all business controls,

Look at how fast our economy grew as a result.

> particularly monopoly consolidation. Powell junior is carrying
> on the FCC tradition of complete media monopoly. Yay.

Maybe you slept through the '90s with the consolidation of broadcasters under
the Clinton administration.

> Reagan Lied to the american people (and congress) about
> "arms for hostages" and "negotiating with terrorists"

I'm not convinced he knew the details of what Lt Col North and Adm Poindexter
were doing.

> while running an illegal war

Liar. He wasn't running that war. Adolfo Calero was.

> (against the will of congress,

Violation of separation of powers. You like the Constitution, don't you?

> namely us)

No. Namely Congressman Boland.

> in Nicaragua.

We won that war, too. Funny how the people of Nicaragua haven't put the
Sandanistas back in power with their free and open elections.

> He also supported death squads

Prove it. Prove that US-backed forces harmed citizens intentionally.

> all over central and south america,

Are you upset that our policies didn't support the murderous guerilla thugs in
El Salvador?

> El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru (Pinochet),

Are you upset that we didn't support groups FMLN and FARC, who were carrying out
horrendous crimes against humanity?

<snip rest of your pathetic lies>

Wilson Woods

Anonymouse Unbeknownst wrote:

> "usual suspect" > wrote in message
>
>>Anonymouse Unbeknownst wrote:
>>

>>>I suppose you're also a Bush fan - the Texas Mass Murderer

>>Whom has President Bush murdered?
>>

> 152 people during his tenure as Governor of Texas.

I am opposed to the death penalty, but the use of it is
not murder, by definition. Murder is one degree of an
unlawful homicide; the death penalty by definition is
not unlawful.

> 10,000+ in Afghanistan (and counting).

Not murders.

> Multiple tens of thousands in Iraq (and counting).

Not murders.

You stupid, hysterical fat ****.

usual suspect

Anonymouse Unbeknownst wrote:
>>>I suppose you're also a Bush fan - the Texas Mass Murderer

>>Whom has President Bush murdered?
>>

> 152 people during his tenure as Governor of Texas.

Those aren't murders, they're executions. As far as I know, Governor Bush never
even sentenced anyone to death (as a juror or as a judge). Those 152 were
executed for crimes they personally committed long before GWB even ran for
Governor -- our average runs about 8-10 years, but many executions are delayed
for 15-20 years.

If you want to blame executions on anyone, blame citizen jurors who send men and
women to death row for committing the most heinous and despicable crimes. Read
the "offender information" sheets provided by TDCJ on their website (below). Our
most recent execution was of a monster who shot two people to death to settle an
argument of whose kid was a better football player. Read through all the
accounts of their murders and other crimes of those executed from 1995-2000.
They're not innocents whose lives were taken by a ruthless governor; they were
cold-blooded, black-hearted murderers.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm

Maybe you should also read up on civics and Texas law; our Governor isn't even
given power to commute sentences without such a recommendation from the Board of
Pardons and Parole. I know that doesn't matter to people like you since you only
are outraged when executions occur under someone named Bush or Perry and never
Richards or White.

> 10,000+ in Afghanistan (and counting).

Prove it. Name them.

> Multiple tens of thousands in Iraq (and counting).

Prove it. Name them.

rick etter

"Anonymouse Unbeknownst" > wrote in message

> "usual suspect" > wrote in message
> > Anonymouse Unbeknownst wrote:
> >
> > > I suppose you're also a Bush fan - the Texas Mass Murderer

> > Whom has President Bush murdered?
> >

> 152 people during his tenure as Governor of Texas.
> 10,000+ in Afghanistan (and counting).
> Multiple tens of thousands in Iraq (and counting).

===============
None of which are murder. None of which is a war crime, which J "effing"
Kerry has admitrd to during his service.
Guess you just prefer real killers, eh hypocrite?

Anonymouse Unbeknownst

"Wilson Woods" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Anonymouse Unbeknownst wrote:

> >>Whom has President Bush murdered?
> >>

> > 152 people during his tenure as Governor of Texas.

> I am opposed to the death penalty, but the use of it is
> not murder, by definition. Murder is one degree of an
> unlawful homicide; the death penalty by definition is
> not unlawful.

The willful killing of another human being is murder. Period.

> > 10,000+ in Afghanistan (and counting).

> Not murders.

Perhaps you're right... genocide might be a better word.

> > Multiple tens of thousands in Iraq (and counting).

> Not murders.

See above.

> You stupid, hysterical fat ****.

I'm 5'11", 170 pounds and have a tested IQ of 145. You were saying?

Wilson Woods

Anonymouse Unbeknownst wrote:
> "Wilson Woods" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>Anonymouse Unbeknownst wrote:

>>>152 people during his tenure as Governor of Texas.

>>I am opposed to the death penalty, but the use of it is
>>not murder, by definition. Murder is one degree of an
>>unlawful homicide; the death penalty by definition is
>>not unlawful.

> The willful killing of another human being is murder. Period.

No, it isn't. Period. Full stop. The end. Case closed.

>>>10,000+ in Afghanistan (and counting).

>>Not murders.

> Perhaps you're right... genocide might be a better word.

No. Not genocide, not murder.

As usual, liberal ****tards are quick to debase the
English language.

>>>Multiple tens of thousands in Iraq (and counting).

>>Not murders.

> See above.

Only shite above.

>>You stupid, hysterical fat ****.

> I'm 5'11", 170 pounds and have a tested IQ of 145.

That was an online IQ test, right?

IQ is a measure of your *potential* for learning and
reasoning. In your case, it remains unrealized.

The expression "fat ****" does not literally denote
girth, you STUPID unrealized-potential fat ****. I
think "fat" is just thrown in for alliteration.

> You were saying?

I was saying "you stupid, hysterical fat ****". Are
you deaf, too?

Wilson Woods

Anonymouse Unbeknownst wrote:

> "Wilson Woods" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>Anonymouse Unbeknownst wrote:

>>>152 people during his tenure as Governor of Texas.

>>I am opposed to the death penalty, but the use of it is
>>not murder, by definition. Murder is one degree of an
>>unlawful homicide; the death penalty by definition is
>>not unlawful.

> The willful killing of another human being is murder. Period.
>

>>>10,000+ in Afghanistan (and counting).

>>Not murders.

> Perhaps you're right... genocide might be a better word.

As stated previously: not genocide, not murders.

This number is a classic instance of stupid, willfully
blind, blindly partisan ****tards repeating something
because it makes them feel righteous. You have no
support for this number. No one has any support for
it. Once again, we have a false little factlette that
has taken on a life of its own, and that everyone on
your side repeats because...because...well, because
everyone on your side repeats it.

I refer to this as the Scheisskopf Syndrome, from Cadet
Clevinger's "trial" before the "Action Board" on
trumped up charges in "Catch-22":

The bloated colonel: "Metcalf, you stinking son of
a bitch. Didn't I

tell you to keep your stinking, cowardly, stupid
mouth shut?"

Major Metcalf: "Yes, sir. I'm sorry, sir."

The bloated colonel: "Then suppose you do it."

Major Metcalf: "I was only trying to learn, sir.
The only way a person
can learn is by trying."

The bloated colonel: "Who says so?"

Major Metcalf: "Everybody says so, sir. Even
Lieutenant Scheisskopf
says so."

The bloated colonel, to Lt. Scheisskopf: "Do you
say so?"

"Yes, sir," said Lieutenant Scheisskopf. "But
everybody says so."

You stupid, willfully blind scheisskopf: you couldn't
even *attempt* to substantiate your "10,000+" number.
You are repeating it because "everybody says so".
****ing sheep.

>>>Multiple tens of thousands in Iraq (and counting).

>>Not murders.

> See above.
>

>>You stupid, hysterical fat ****.

> I'm 5'11", 170 pounds and have a tested IQ of 145. You were saying?

usual suspect

I'm feeling generous today, even to low-grade vitriol-spewing scum like you,
Anonymouse.

usual suspect wrote:

>>> Whom has President Bush murdered?
>>>

>> 152 people during his tenure as Governor of Texas.

> Those aren't murders, they're executions. As far as I know, Governor
> Bush never even sentenced anyone to death (as a juror or as a judge).
> Those 152 were executed for crimes they personally committed long before
> GWB even ran for Governor -- our average runs about 8-10 years, but many
> executions are delayed for 15-20 years.
>
> If you want to blame executions on anyone, blame citizen jurors who send
> men and women to death row for committing the most heinous and
> despicable crimes. Read the "offender information" sheets provided by
> TDCJ on their website (below). Our most recent execution was of a
> monster who shot two people to death to settle an argument of whose kid
> was a better football player. Read through all the accounts of their
> murders and other crimes of those executed from 1995-2000. They're not
> innocents whose lives were taken by a ruthless governor; they were
> cold-blooded, black-hearted murderers.
> http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm
>
> Maybe you should also read up on civics and Texas law; our Governor
> isn't even given power to commute sentences without such a
> recommendation from the Board of Pardons and Parole. I know that doesn't
> matter to people like you since you only are outraged when executions
> occur under someone named Bush or Perry and never Richards or White.
>
>> 10,000+ in Afghanistan (and counting).

> Prove it. Name them.

I'll cut you some slack. Name half of them.

>> Multiple tens of thousands in Iraq (and counting).

> Prove it. Name them.

I'll cut you some slack. Name half of them.

andree colon

Reagan was impressive

john
> a écrit dans le message de
> __________________________________________________ _______
> From: Jonathan Ball >
> Newsgroups: talk.politics.animals
> Subject: OT: A great one nears the end
> Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:52:33 GMT
>
> Reagan was a great president. I do not use "great" to
> mean he did much with which I agreed, although I did
> agree with much of what Reagan did
> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
> or obvious idiocy?

Anonymouse Unbeknownst

"andree colon" > wrote in message
> Reagan was impressive