Ann

Default Please help with starting raw vegan diet

Hello,

I've been vegan as in no food or toiletries or anything with any
animal products for about five years, but, it hasn't been for health
reasons and I haven't been the healthiest eater -- my diet includes
lots of carbs, bready things, potatoes, pasta, sugary things. I was
recently told to switch to an all raw fruit and veggie diet to treat
an acne problem that I've had for a long time. It sounds promising,
and I'm hoping that it will help with a lot of other health problems
too, but I want to do it right, not have to worry about adding *more*
problems and getting frustrated thinking it's not helping because I'm
bumbling it. Exactly what fruits and veggies and how many? Where
should I get them, supermarket or health food store? Should they be
organic? How should I wash them, eg I read about soaking
non-pealables for 15 min. in a sink full of water mixed with a little
peroxide.

I also have a dilemma because I also want to try the "Master Cleanse"
and I'm probably going to try a treatment for chronic systemic candida
infection -- what do I do first? Can I do the cleanse and start the
treatment at the same time?

Please help!!

Ann
David Wright

In article > ,
Ann > wrote:

>I also have a dilemma because I also want to try the "Master Cleanse"
>and I'm probably going to try a treatment for chronic systemic candida
>infection -- what do I do first? Can I do the cleanse and start the
>treatment at the same time?

I would strongly advise you to avoid the candida treatments at all.

Although there most certainly is a disease called "systemic
candidiasis" which is awful and can be fatal, it's also quite
unmistakeable and usually found only in immunocompromised persons.

A trip to your doctor to find out whether you really have any sort of
candida problem would be much more appropriate.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

Mark Thorson

Ann wrote:

> I want to do it right, not have to worry about adding *more*
> problems and getting frustrated thinking it's not helping because
> I'm bumbling it.

But how can anyone help you when you haven't told us
even the most basic information about your particular
health conditions? For example, you haven't mentioned
your blood type. What's right for a type O is completely
different from what is needed by an AB. Type O in general
are people descended from agrarian farmers, and for them
a high-carb, grain-based diet is near optimal. On the other
hand, type AB are people descended from hunters and
fishermen, so a high-protein diet rich in fish oils is usually
best. Type A should be eating lots of tomatoes, garlic, pasta
and olive oil, while type B are shiftless people of no account
who are best avoided.

Also, it is not possible to make blanket recommendations
based just on general factors without taking into account
your unique personal traits. For example, a squat, swarthy
type O is much more like a type A, and would benefit from
a diet which includes type A foods -- in this case replacing
the bread-and-butter diet of a typical type O with more
olive oil and pasta. You can't expect to get these personal
dietary recommendations through the Internet. You need
to consult with a professional iridologist specializing in
nutritional profiling. And of course, because of the
depletion of agricultural soils by a century of chemical
farming, you'll need dietary supplements containing essential
nutrients such as tecnazene and quintozene.

Right now, you're completely adrift. If you don't get help
right away, you could be setting yourself up for a lifetime
of malaise, low-energy, and chronic pain. For all you
know, the root cause of your problems could be unrelated
to diet -- you might have an electrical imbalance or you
could be poisoned by a magnetic field. Have you tried
reversing the direction in which you sleep, for example,
so that your head is toward the north (if it was toward
the south)? There are so many factors involved that
no one person could be expected to be familiar with all
of them. At the least, you'll need comprehensive diagnosis
by a board-certified iridologist, chiropractor, and
homeopathic physician. Even then, you'll need to treat
their advice with caution, because of the variable quality
of alternative medical education in this country. The
average chiropractor only gets ONE HOUR of course
study in iridology in his/her educational curriculum! Can
you believe it! It's a scandal, I tell ya. Hope this helps :-)

rick etter

"Ann" > wrote in message
m...
> Hello,
>
> I've been vegan as in no food or toiletries or anything with any
> animal products for about five years,

=======
But I see it's really all about 'looks' and 'feelinge' as evidenced by your
usenet posting. Not eating animals is not the same as not causing their
death and suffering. Afterall, usenet is not cruelty-free, but here you
are...

but, it hasn't been for health
> reasons and I haven't been the healthiest eater -- my diet includes
> lots of carbs, bready things, potatoes, pasta, sugary things. I was
> recently told to switch to an all raw fruit and veggie diet to treat
> an acne problem that I've had for a long time. It sounds promising,
> and I'm hoping that it will help with a lot of other health problems
> too, but I want to do it right, not have to worry about adding *more*
> problems and getting frustrated thinking it's not helping because I'm
> bumbling it. Exactly what fruits and veggies and how many? Where
> should I get them, supermarket or health food store? Should they be
> organic? How should I wash them, eg I read about soaking
> non-pealables for 15 min. in a sink full of water mixed with a little
> peroxide.
>
> I also have a dilemma because I also want to try the "Master Cleanse"
> and I'm probably going to try a treatment for chronic systemic candida
> infection -- what do I do first? Can I do the cleanse and start the
> treatment at the same time?
>
> Please help!!
>
> Ann

Rubystars

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Ann wrote:
>
> > I want to do it right, not have to worry about adding *more*
> > problems and getting frustrated thinking it's not helping because
> > I'm bumbling it.

> But how can anyone help you when you haven't told us
> even the most basic information about your particular
> health conditions? For example, you haven't mentioned
> your blood type. What's right for a type O is completely
> different from what is needed by an AB. Type O in general
> are people descended from agrarian farmers, and for them
> a high-carb, grain-based diet is near optimal. On the other
> hand, type AB are people descended from hunters and
> fishermen, so a high-protein diet rich in fish oils is usually
> best. Type A should be eating lots of tomatoes, garlic, pasta
> and olive oil, while type B are shiftless people of no account
> who are best avoided.

There's no evidence whatsoever for that "eat right for your type" BS.

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/NegativeBR/d'adamo.html

Please stop peddling snake oil.

> Also, it is not possible to make blanket recommendations
> based just on general factors without taking into account
> your unique personal traits. For example, a squat, swarthy
> type O is much more like a type A, and would benefit from
> a diet which includes type A foods -- in this case replacing
> the bread-and-butter diet of a typical type O with more
> olive oil and pasta. You can't expect to get these personal
> dietary recommendations through the Internet. You need
> to consult with a professional iridologist specializing in
> nutritional profiling. And of course, because of the
> depletion of agricultural soils by a century of chemical
> farming, you'll need dietary supplements containing essential
> nutrients such as tecnazene and quintozene.

Iridology is also a load of complete and utter bullshit.

http://skepdic.com/iridol.html

Do you want to help this guy or make him go broke giving all his money to
money grubbing con artists?

> Right now, you're completely adrift.

And you're not helping one bit.

> If you don't get help
> right away, you could be setting yourself up for a lifetime
> of malaise, low-energy, and chronic pain. For all you
> know, the root cause of your problems could be unrelated
> to diet -- you might have an electrical imbalance or you
> could be poisoned by a magnetic field.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Call Alex Chiu to the Emergency room, call Alex Chiu!
STAT!

>Have you tried
> reversing the direction in which you sleep, for example,
> so that your head is toward the north (if it was toward
> the south)? There are so many factors involved that
> no one person could be expected to be familiar with all
> of them. At the least, you'll need comprehensive diagnosis
> by a board-certified iridologist,

Quack

> chiropractor,

Quack

> and
> homeopathic physician.

Homeopathy is the worst of all. The dilutions are so great, often times,
that not a single molecule of the so called therapeutic ingredient is left
in a dose. Ever hear of Avogadro's number?

>Even then, you'll need to treat
> their advice with caution, because of the variable quality
> of alternative medical education in this country.

How about he go to a doctor who has had scientific training and
evidence-based methodologies?

> The
> average chiropractor only gets ONE HOUR of course
> study in iridology in his/her educational curriculum! Can
> you believe it! It's a scandal, I tell ya. Hope this helps :-)

Chiropractic and Iridology are both scams and the fact that you idiots have
duped so many people into forking over the dough for them is a scandal!

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"Ann" > wrote in message
m...
> Hello,
>
> I've been vegan as in no food or toiletries or anything with any
> animal products for about five years, but, it hasn't been for health
> reasons and I haven't been the healthiest eater -- my diet includes
> lots of carbs, bready things, potatoes, pasta, sugary >things.

Carbs are good for you, as part of a balanced diet. Just cut down on the
sugary things.

>I was
> recently told to switch to an all raw fruit and veggie diet to treat
> an acne problem that I've had for a long time.

What you eat really doesn't have as much effect on acne as some people
think. It should only hurt you if you have an allergy to one particular
food.

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/myths.html

"Myth #2: Acne is caused by diet. Extensive scientific studies have not
found a connection between diet and acne. In other words, food does not
cause acne. Not chocolate. Not french fries. Not pizza. Nonetheless, some
people insist that certain foods affect their acne. In that case, avoid
those foods. Besides, eating a balanced diet always makes sense. However,
according to the scientific evidence, if acne is being treated properly,
there's no need to worry about food affecting the acne."

>It sounds promising,

Don't bother.

> and I'm hoping that it will help with a lot of other health >problems
> too,

Ask a doctor (a mainstream one) what to do about improving your health. See
a real dermatologist about your acne.

>but I want to do it right, not have to worry about adding >*more*
> problems and getting frustrated thinking it's not helping >because I'm
> bumbling it.

Then stay far far away from "Alternative" practitioners. Whoever told you to
go on a strict diet to avoid acne has probably completely ignored the
scientific studies which have shown little to no linkage between acne and
diet.

>Exactly what fruits and veggies and how many?

Why the heck are you getting medical advice on a newsgroup anyway? If
someone told you to go on a strict diet of sour cherries and plain eggplant,
would you do it? Where does the madness end? I'm not saying you're mad, just
that you need to take more of a common sense approach to these things.

Diets can improve heatlh sometimes, but it seems like you're obssessing too
much about what you eat and not giving enough energy toward other, more
important things.

> Where
> should I get them, supermarket or health food store?

There's no really substantial health benefits regarding organic vs.
non-organic, so don't pay the extra money.

>Should they be
> organic?

Unecessary.

> How should I wash them, eg I read about soaking
> non-pealables for 15 min. in a sink full of water mixed with a little
> peroxide.

Don't drink peroxide! It can be very dangerous and eat away things.
Surprisingly a lot of pseudoscientists including Kent Hovind are promoting
this, but it's really quite dangerous.

"Hydrogen peroxide is being promoted as a "cure-all" by several small
nonmedical organizations.
These organizations claim that hydrogen peroxide can cure a variety of
ailments including cancer, AIDS, and arthritis. However, use of hydrogen
peroxide for these purposes has resulted in deaths and serious injuries. "

http://www.h2o2.com/h2o2update/pgarticles/human.html

Just wash with water.

> I also have a dilemma because I also want to try the >"Master Cleanse"

Why do you feel a need to do that?

> and I'm probably going to try a treatment for chronic >systemic candida
> infection -- what do I do first?

You must have a really weak immune system if you have that! You'd better get
a second opinion before you try to treat something you probably don't even
have.

> Can I do the cleanse and start the
> treatment at the same time?

Do neither. Ask a doctor, a REAL doctor who went to medical school.

> Please help!!

I'm doing the best I can, please listen to what I've told you and don't put
your health or pocketbook at risk any longer by accepting faux advice and
faux treatments from a bunch of pseudoscientists.

-Rubystars

mdd

Mark is an idiot that mouths off about things he/she has no knowledge of.
Never studied, never used, never known anyone who has.
"Rubystars" > wrote in message

mdd

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
m...

> "Ann" > wrote in message
> m...
>

> -Rubystars

This looked like a troll post, so, Snippity snip

Kimmer

Ann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been vegan as in no food or toiletries or anything with any
> animal products for about five years, but, it hasn't been for health
> reasons and I haven't been the healthiest eater -- my diet includes
> lots of carbs, bready things, potatoes, pasta, sugary things. I was
> recently told to switch to an all raw fruit and veggie diet to treat
> an acne problem that I've had for a long time. It sounds promising,
> and I'm hoping that it will help with a lot of other health problems
> too, but I want to do it right, not have to worry about adding *more*
> problems and getting frustrated thinking it's not helping because I'm
> bumbling it. Exactly what fruits and veggies and how many? Where
> should I get them, supermarket or health food store? Should they be
> organic? How should I wash them, eg I read about soaking
> non-pealables for 15 min. in a sink full of water mixed with a little
> peroxide.

Firstly, I'd do more in the way of nonprocessed, whole grain carbs and
cut back on sugary stuff. I eat a mostly vegetarian diet (ovo-lacto,
with occasional fish and poultry still) and notice a big difference when
having less-processed grains; whole grain breads, pastas, cereals, that
type of thing. They also taste better to me. Secondly, as for raw
fruits and veggies...just add them to your current diet instead of
switching completely. As good as raw fruits and veggies are, I know I'd
miss a good barley stew <g> I prefer to buy organic when I can, as
they just taste better to me, but that depends on the individual. Just
wash them under running water and you should be fine.

> I also have a dilemma because I also want to try the "Master Cleanse"
> and I'm probably going to try a treatment for chronic systemic candida
> infection -- what do I do first? Can I do the cleanse and start the
> treatment at the same time?

I'm gonna reiterate what others have already said. Systemic candida is
a sign of a compromised immune system, so I'd see an MD (it takes a lot
for me to see any doctor) to confirm the diagnosis before doing
anything. If, indeed, it is systemic candida you need to find out why
you have it.

Good luck!!

Kimmer
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

David Wright

In article >,
Rubystars > wrote:

>"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> Ann wrote:
>>
>> > I want to do it right, not have to worry about adding *more*
>> > problems and getting frustrated thinking it's not helping because
>> > I'm bumbling it.

>> But how can anyone help you when you haven't told us
>> even the most basic information about your particular
>> health conditions? For example, you haven't mentioned
>> your blood type. What's right for a type O is completely
>> different from what is needed by an AB. Type O in general
>> are people descended from agrarian farmers, and for them
>> a high-carb, grain-based diet is near optimal. On the other
>> hand, type AB are people descended from hunters and
>> fishermen, so a high-protein diet rich in fish oils is usually
>> best. Type A should be eating lots of tomatoes, garlic, pasta
>> and olive oil, while type B are shiftless people of no account
>> who are best avoided.

>There's no evidence whatsoever for that "eat right for your type" BS.
>
>http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/NegativeBR/d'adamo.html
>
>Please stop peddling snake oil.

So, Mark, do you practice "catch and release" or what?

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

Happy Dog

"Ann" >

> I've been vegan as in no food or toiletries or anything with any
> animal products for about five years, but, it hasn't been for health
> reasons and I haven't been the healthiest eater -- my diet includes
> lots of carbs, bready things, potatoes, pasta, sugary things. I was
> recently told to switch to an all raw fruit and veggie diet to treat
> an acne problem that I've had for a long time.

There is scant evidence that this will work. However, almost every health
advocate will champion including lots of unprocessed fruits and veggies in
your diet. You'll only be helping yourself.

> I also have a dilemma because I also want to try the "Master Cleanse"
> and I'm probably going to try a treatment for chronic systemic candida
> infection -- what do I do first? Can I do the cleanse and start the
> treatment at the same time?

Do some research. "Cleanses" are a waste of time. You're far better off
adjusting your diet and getting some exercise.

le moo

Happy Dog

"Eric Bohlman" > wrote in message
> You might want to take a look at Tom Billings' site,
> http://www.beyondveg.com, for a discussion of some of the pitfalls of raw
> vegan, particularly fruitarian, diets (Billings is a vegetarian who used

> be a raw vegan).

That site is really something. It's a wealth of information for people who
are considering going vegetarian. I haven't read the whole thing yet. But
it's cogent and well organized.

moo

Rubystars

"Happy Dog" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Ann" >
> >
> > I've been vegan as in no food or toiletries or anything with any
> > animal products for about five years, but, it hasn't been for health
> > reasons and I haven't been the healthiest eater -- my diet includes
> > lots of carbs, bready things, potatoes, pasta, sugary things. I was
> > recently told to switch to an all raw fruit and veggie diet to treat
> > an acne problem that I've had for a long time.

> There is scant evidence that this will work. However, almost every health
> advocate will champion including lots of unprocessed fruits and veggies in
> your diet. You'll only be helping yourself.

Not if she causes malnutrition by going on a very strict diet.

> > I also have a dilemma because I also want to try the "Master Cleanse"
> > and I'm probably going to try a treatment for chronic systemic candida
> > infection -- what do I do first? Can I do the cleanse and start the
> > treatment at the same time?

> Do some research. "Cleanses" are a waste of time. You're far better off
> adjusting your diet and getting some exercise.

Good advice.

-Rubystars

How do you maintain the vegan diet? [email protected] Vegan 29 11-06-2008 07:08 PM
PLEASE HELP! Starting a vegan restaurant! n Vegan 3 02-01-2007 03:24 AM
The Vegan Diet Richard Miller Vegan 2 30-07-2006 07:13 PM
Thinking about going on a vegan diet. yaj Vegan 7 06-12-2005 01:27 AM
New to Vegan Diet - Thank U PETA!!! Laurie Vegan 1 17-06-2005 03:11 PM