Steve

Default A Challenge To The Vegan Bakers: Help Me Modify This Recipe :Vegan Pumpkin Flax Muffins

Hi;

I found the recipe below on the web, freely available, so there should
be no copyright issues.

I would like to modify it such that

- each muffin gets at least 2 table spoons of ground flax seed.

- some, most, or all of the wheat flour is replaced by TEFF flour
( to boost the calcium content).

- replace the sucanant with stevia

- replace the wheat bran and wheat germ with something else

- if practical, replace the soy milk with something else vegan.

I'm not a baker so I don't know which ingredients/amounts I need
to keep to make the muffins work.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Feel up for a culinary development challenge?

Steve

From http://vegweb.com/food/bread/6598.shtml
From , 05/10/04

Cole's Original Flax-Chocolate Chip-Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

* 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
* 1/2 cup wheat bran
* 1 cup ground flax seeds
* 1/2 cup wheat germ
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 cup vegan soymilk or vegan yogurt
* 1 1/2 cups vegan pumpkin puree
* 1/2 cup Sucanat
* 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400F.

Line twelve muffins cups with paper liners.

In large bowl, whisk together flour, bran, flax, wheat germ,
baking powder, and baking soda.

In a medium bowl, whisk together soymilk or vegan yogurt, pumpkin,
Sucanat, and vegan chocolate chips.

Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir just until combined.
Spoon into muffin cups (a large ice-cream scoop works best).

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tester comes out clean.

Serves: 12

Preparation time: 10 minutes + baking

--
Steve
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real unless it can be seen
on television or bought in a shopping mall"
usual suspect

Steve wrote:
> I found the recipe below on the web, freely available, so there should
> be no copyright issues.

Thank you.

> I would like to modify it such that
>
> - each muffin gets at least 2 table spoons of ground flax seed.

The only way to make sure you get at least 2 tablespoons is to add that to each
one separately. Remember, heating flax seed meal or oil decreases the
nutritional value. Don't fool yourself that this is a good way to get omega-3
fatty acids from flax seeds; you're better off grinding them fresh and adding to
cereal, salads, etc.

> - some, most, or all of the wheat flour is replaced by TEFF flour
> ( to boost the calcium content).

You could always experiment to see how it tastes with some or most or all teff.

> - replace the sucanant with stevia

Oh dear. Why? Stevia is nasty and will impart a foul puke-green hue to anything
it's added.

> - replace the wheat bran and wheat germ with something else

Why? Try oat bran or just leave it out.

> - if practical, replace the soy milk with something else vegan.

Why?

> I'm not a baker so I don't know which ingredients/amounts I need
> to keep to make the muffins work.
>
> Any ideas? Thoughts?

Experiment on your own using the recipe you found as a guideline. Try using part
teff and part wheat flour. If you MUST use stevia (ugh), find a substitution
equivalent guide online and try it. Between the orange from the pumpkin and the
green from the stevia, they should literally look like crap.

> Feel up for a culinary development challenge?

Don't be a wuss, experiment for yourself. You can usually eat your mistakes and
learn from them.

> Steve

> From http://vegweb.com/food/bread/6598.shtml
> From , 05/10/04
>
> Cole's Original Flax-Chocolate Chip-Pumpkin Muffins
>
> Ingredients (use vegan versions):
>
> * 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
> * 1/2 cup wheat bran
> * 1 cup ground flax seeds
> * 1/2 cup wheat germ
> * 1 tablespoon baking powder
> * 1 teaspoon baking soda
> * 1 cup vegan soymilk or vegan yogurt
> * 1 1/2 cups vegan pumpkin puree
> * 1/2 cup Sucanat
> * 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
>
> Directions:
>

> Preheat oven to 400F.
>
> Line twelve muffins cups with paper liners.
>

> In large bowl, whisk together flour, bran, flax, wheat germ,
> baking powder, and baking soda.
>

> In a medium bowl, whisk together soymilk or vegan yogurt, pumpkin,
> Sucanat, and vegan chocolate chips.
>

> Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir just until combined.
> Spoon into muffin cups (a large ice-cream scoop works best).
>
> Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
>

> Serves: 12
>
> Preparation time: 10 minutes + baking

usual suspect

Steve wrote:
<...>
> I would like to modify it such that
>
> - each muffin gets at least 2 table spoons of ground flax seed.

<...>
> Serves: 12

2 x 12 = 24 tablespoons of flax seeds, Steve. That's 1.5 cups instead of one.
You'll have to adjust the liquid ingredients for the extra flax seeds to come
out right (and I have no way of knowing if teff absorbs more or less liquid than
wheat flour).

If you haven't made muffins before, use the recipe *as is* to get a feel for it
and to gauge the consistency of the batter. Once you know how thick or thin to
make the batter, it'll be easier to guesstimate the wet ingredients when you
experiment by adding ingredients not called for in the original recipe.