usual suspect

Default spinach tamales

I had a load of spinach to cook last night, and I had a strong craving for
tamales. I decided to make a spinach filling. I started by sauteeing in olive
oil the following: onion, mushrooms (including some nice huitlacoche, a fungus
that grows on corn and is used in Mexican cooking), garlic, jalapeños, fresh
thyme and oregano, salt and pepper. When that was all nice and soft, I added the
spinach and cooked it down over high heat until there was very little moisture left.

The rest of my procedure for making tamales can be found here (I used the above
filling instead of the TVP one in my recipe):
http://snipurl.com/6oi1

The spinach is a different flavor and texture than most veggie fillings I use,
but the tamales were pretty good. I normally use some kind of mix of squash,
mushrooms, kale, beans, etc., and even TVP.

I served them with small red beans (aka Colorados; they look like dark pintos
when they finish cooking), mixed greens and sprout salad, fresh guacamole, and
fresh cut fruit with a cinnamon dipping sauce for dessert.

C. James Strutz

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> I had a load of spinach to cook last night, and I had a strong

craving for
> tamales. I decided to make a spinach filling. I started by sauteeing

in olive
> oil the following: onion, mushrooms (including some nice

huitlacoche, a fungus
> that grows on corn and is used in Mexican cooking), garlic,

jalapeños, fresh
> thyme and oregano, salt and pepper. When that was all nice and soft,

I added the
> spinach and cooked it down over high heat until there was very

little moisture left.

> The rest of my procedure for making tamales can be found here (I

used the above
> filling instead of the TVP one in my recipe):
> http://snipurl.com/6oi1
>
> The spinach is a different flavor and texture than most veggie

fillings I use,
> but the tamales were pretty good. I normally use some kind of mix of

squash,
> mushrooms, kale, beans, etc., and even TVP.
>
> I served them with small red beans (aka Colorados; they look like

dark pintos
> when they finish cooking), mixed greens and sprout salad, fresh

guacamole, and
> fresh cut fruit with a cinnamon dipping sauce for dessert.

Oh man, this sounds great. Thanks for the link to your tamale recipe.
I actually thought about trying them the other day and meant to ask
you for the link. Do you get the huitlacoches fresh or canned? I've
never seen them fresh up here in PA and canned only once in awhile at
one of our few hispanic stores. And what is in the cinnamon dipping
sauce?

usual suspect

C. James Strutz wrote:
<...>
> Oh man, this sounds great.

Thanks.

> Thanks for the link to your tamale recipe.

No problem.

> I actually thought about trying them the other day and meant to ask
> you for the link.

You can always search the Google groups archives for "author:suspect tamales".

> Do you get the huitlacoches fresh or canned?

Fresh/dried. It's available in cans, too. It may be labeled "cuitlacoche" or
huitlacoche.

> I've
> never seen them fresh up here in PA and canned only once in awhile at
> one of our few hispanic stores.

That's probably going to be your best source for it without going the mail-order
route. You can always ask them if they have any fresh huitlacoche.

> And what is in the cinnamon dipping sauce?

I should've said it was non-vegan. I used freshly ground cinnamon, turbinado
sugar, fresh vanilla bean, Butter Buds, and fat-free half-and-half. Cooked it
down until it a thicker consistency and the sugar was dissolved. I suppose the
same could be made with soy or rice milk and some kind of thickening agent like
corn starch. I only tasted a little of it and it was really good (it was for my
girlfriend, who consumes dairy, and her friend who came over to join us).

usual suspect

Correction...

usual suspect wrote:
<..>
>> Do you get the huitlacoches fresh or canned?

> Fresh/dried.

Forget the dried part. They'll either be fresh or canned. I haven't tried canned
ones because we get them fresh down here.

<...>

Auntie Nettles

As a little sidenote to anyone using a recipe calling for spinach, a
good (and possibly better) substitute might be found on your next
field hike: Lamb's Quarters
http://www.cloudnet.com/~djeans/FlwP...bs-quarter.htm , actually
a quite common "weed" that was originally an escaped garden plant.
It's quite tasty and doesn't have the bitterness of spinach. (Read
the page for more informative info.)

usual suspect > wrote in message >...
> I had a load of spinach to cook last night, and I had a strong craving for
> tamales. I decided to make a spinach filling. I started by sauteeing in olive
> oil the following: onion, mushrooms (including some nice huitlacoche, a fungus
> that grows on corn and is used in Mexican cooking), garlic, jalapeños, fresh
> thyme and oregano, salt and pepper. When that was all nice and soft, I added the
> spinach and cooked it down over high heat until there was very little moisture left.
>
> The rest of my procedure for making tamales can be found here (I used the above
> filling instead of the TVP one in my recipe):
> http://snipurl.com/6oi1
>
> The spinach is a different flavor and texture than most veggie fillings I use,
> but the tamales were pretty good. I normally use some kind of mix of squash,
> mushrooms, kale, beans, etc., and even TVP.
>
> I served them with small red beans (aka Colorados; they look like dark pintos
> when they finish cooking), mixed greens and sprout salad, fresh guacamole, and
> fresh cut fruit with a cinnamon dipping sauce for dessert.

usual suspect

Auntie Nettles wrote:

> As a little sidenote to anyone using a recipe calling for spinach, a
> good (and possibly better) substitute might be found on your next
> field hike: Lamb's Quarters
> http://www.cloudnet.com/~djeans/FlwP...bs-quarter.htm , actually
> a quite common "weed" that was originally an escaped garden plant.
> It's quite tasty and doesn't have the bitterness of spinach. (Read
> the page for more informative info.)

Fresh spinach isn't bitter.

> usual suspect > wrote in message >...
>
>>I had a load of spinach to cook last night, and I had a strong craving for
>>tamales. I decided to make a spinach filling. I started by sauteeing in olive
>>oil the following: onion, mushrooms (including some nice huitlacoche, a fungus
>>that grows on corn and is used in Mexican cooking), garlic, jalapeños, fresh
>>thyme and oregano, salt and pepper. When that was all nice and soft, I added the
>>spinach and cooked it down over high heat until there was very little moisture left.
>>
>>The rest of my procedure for making tamales can be found here (I used the above
>>filling instead of the TVP one in my recipe):
>>http://snipurl.com/6oi1
>>
>>The spinach is a different flavor and texture than most veggie fillings I use,
>>but the tamales were pretty good. I normally use some kind of mix of squash,
>>mushrooms, kale, beans, etc., and even TVP.
>>
>>I served them with small red beans (aka Colorados; they look like dark pintos
>>when they finish cooking), mixed greens and sprout salad, fresh guacamole, and
>>fresh cut fruit with a cinnamon dipping sauce for dessert.

Prickly Pear

Hmmm, I see your little pal is so a-skeered of my pointing out his
theft of my account, he's gone so far as to
nuke all my posts from Google, including a harmless and educational
one about food.

Anyways, where were we? ...Let's try again:

usual suspect wrote:

>Auntie Nettles wrote:
>
>> As a little sidenote to anyone using a recipe calling for spinach,

>> good (and possibly better) substitute might be found on your next
>> field hike: Lamb's Quarters

http://www.cloudnet.com/~djeans/FlwP...bs-quarter.htm ,
actually
>> a quite common "weed" that was originally an escaped garden plant.
>> It's quite tasty and doesn't have the bitterness of spinach.

(Read
>> the page for more informative info.)

>Fresh spinach isn't bitter.

To some people, it might be. Certain vegetables contain substances
that taste differently to different people, depending on the
individual:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...ertaster.shtml

>> usual suspect > wrote in message >...
>>
>>>I had a load of spinach to cook last night, and I had a strong

craving for
>>>tamales. I decided to make a spinach filling. I started by

sauteeing in olive
>>>oil the following: onion, mushrooms (including some nice

huitlacoche, a fungus
>>>that grows on corn and is used in Mexican cooking), garlic,

jalapeños, fresh
>>>thyme and oregano, salt and pepper. When that was all nice and

soft, I added the
>>>spinach and cooked it down over high heat until there was very

little moisture left.

>>>The rest of my procedure for making tamales can be found here (I

used the above
>>>filling instead of the TVP one in my recipe):
>>>http://snipurl.com/6oi1
>>>
>>>The spinach is a different flavor and texture than most veggie

fillings I use,
>>>but the tamales were pretty good. I normally use some kind of mix

of squash,
>>>mushrooms, kale, beans, etc., and even TVP.
>>>
>>>I served them with small red beans (aka Colorados; they look like

dark pintos
>>>when they finish cooking), mixed greens and sprout salad, fresh

guacamole, and
>>>fresh cut fruit with a cinnamon dipping sauce for dessert.

usual suspect

Prick wrote:
> Hmmm, I see your little pal is so a-skeered of my pointing out his
> theft of my account, he's gone so far as to
> nuke all my posts from Google, including a harmless and educational
> one about food.

Liar.

> Anyways, where were we? ...Let's try again:

<...>
>>Fresh spinach isn't bitter.

> To some people, it might be. Certain vegetables contain substances
> that taste differently to different people, depending on the
> individual:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...ertaster.shtml

Cooking vegetables reduces the amount of PROP. Besides, spinach is lower than
cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, and (especially) cabbage.

tamales sf[_9_] Mexican Cooking 10 07-03-2011 06:30 AM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Judy Bolton Recipes (moderated) 0 29-04-2007 02:16 AM
More about tamales dtwright37 Mexican Cooking 3 22-12-2006 05:26 AM
Hot tamales! Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 57 10-02-2006 03:36 AM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 11-11-2005 06:07 AM