ta

Default Mercury Toxicity and Vegetarian Diet

Dr. Hal Huggins claims that a vegetarian/vegan diet is counterproductive to
recovering from mercury toxicity as a result of poisoning from dental
amalgams. Specifically, he says:

"For those who are strict vegetarians, I must let you know that your
progress may be extremely slow, if you progress at all. I strongly
reccommend that you discontinue vegetarianism during your treatment period
in order to allow the protein fractions in the blood serum to reach a good
level. This can be done with eggs and turkey if you prefer to avoid red
meats. In nineteen years of treating mercury-toxic patients, I have never
been able to help anyone on a vegetarian diet. When people are in good
health, they can maintain it on this diet, but for some reason unknown to me
they cannot heal from mercury toxicity." (p.140, "It's All in Your Head").

I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know of any scientific studies to verify that Huggins' claim
is true.
2. Has anyone personally either failed or succeeded in recovering from
mercury toxicity on a veg*n diet?

Thanks very much for any input.

John Coleman

> 1. Does anyone know of any scientific studies to verify that Huggins'
claim
> is true.

No, but there are reasonable hypothesis. Animal products contain more of
some of the amino acids that help to take mercury from the body, as well as
selenium. Some vegetarians also have low B12 which does not help either.

Generous of the right supplements should help all patients. Contact
http://www.iaomt.org/

John C

ta

"John Coleman" > wrote in message
> > 1. Does anyone know of any scientific studies to verify that Huggins'

> claim
> > is true.

> No, but there are reasonable hypothesis. Animal products contain more of
> some of the amino acids that help to take mercury from the body, as well

as
> selenium.

Thanks, but if that is the case, then why wouldn't selenium supplementation
and additional vegetarian sources of amino acids remedy the problem? Also,
mercury is effectively chelated using dmsa or dmps, so the lack of animal
sources of amino acids for chelation should not be a factor.

> Some vegetarians also have low B12 which does not help either.

Do you know of any scientific evidence that shows that low animal sources of
B12 is linked with poor recovery from mercury toxicity?

> Generous of the right supplements should help all patients. Contact
> http://www.iaomt.org/
>
> John C

Thanks. So you are disagreeing with Huggins' claim?