Vaine

Default am i vegan?

I started becoming a vegan aboot 2-3 monthes ago, I changed my diet, and
became more aware aboot the enviroment around me. Im becoming involved with
animal rights group, but after my friends had found out wat i started doin
they researched it. I consider myself "vegan" but some of friends say im not
because i wear a leather braclet with shells on it from kenya and leather
sandals, both hold somewat of a sintemintal value, and both being gifts from
my brothers.

So, in u ppls opinion am i considered vegan or not?

katie

"Vaine" > wrote in message
. com...
> I started becoming a vegan aboot 2-3 monthes ago, I changed my diet, and
> became more aware aboot the enviroment around me. Im becoming involved

with
> animal rights group, but after my friends had found out wat i started doin
> they researched it. I consider myself "vegan" but some of friends say im

not
> because i wear a leather braclet with shells on it from kenya and leather
> sandals, both hold somewat of a sintemintal value, and both being gifts

from
> my brothers.
>
> So, in u ppls opinion am i considered vegan or not?

lots of vegans still wear leather that they had before they went vegan, and
some feel comfortable wearing second-hand leather as well. they just don't
buy new leather, unless they absolutely have to. throwing out old stuff
when it's still useful and when it has sentimental value is wasteful,
especially with shoes, which are harder for someone else to re-use. so hey,
you might face some criticism for wearing that stuff, but it'd be crappier
for the environment to toss em' and buy a new product.

Vaine

thanx
thats wat i thought

=^.^= every time you masturbate god kills a kitten
=0.0= think of the kittens
=X.x=
le.rogers.com...

On Tue, 04 May 2004 22:15:04 GMT, "Vaine" > wrote:

>I started becoming a vegan aboot 2-3 monthes ago, I changed my diet, and
>became more aware aboot the enviroment around me.

· From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised
draining of fields, one meal of soy or rice based product is
likely to involve more animal deaths than hundreds of meals
derived from grass raised cattle. Grass raised cattle products
contribute to less wildlife deaths, better wildlife habitat, and
better lives for cattle than soy or rice products. ·

>Im becoming involved with
>animal rights group,

"Animal Rights" only has two things to "offer":
The elimination of domestic animals
The elimination of human wildlife population management

>but after my friends had found out wat i started doin
>they researched it. I consider myself "vegan" but some of friends say im not
>because i wear a leather braclet with shells on it from kenya and leather
>sandals, both hold somewat of a sintemintal value, and both being gifts from
>my brothers.
>
>So, in u ppls opinion am i considered vegan or not?

· Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use
of wood and paper products, and roads and all types of
buildings, and by their own diet just as everyone else does.
What vegans try to avoid are products which provide life
to avoid the following in order to be successful:
Tires, Surgical sutures, Matches, Soaps, Photographic film,
Cosmetics, Shaving cream, Paints, Candles, Crayon/Chalk,
Toothpaste, Deodorants, Mouthwash, Paper, Upholstery,
Floor waxes, Glass, Water Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer,
Antifreeze

http://www.aif.org/lvstock.htm
Ceramics, Insecticides, Insulation, Linoleum, Plastic,
Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen, Heparin, Insulin,
Pancreatin, Thrombin, Vasopressin, Vitamin B-12, Asphalt,
auto and jet lubricants, outboard engine oil, high-performance
greases, brake fluid

http://www.teachfree.com/student/wow_that_cow.htm
contact-lens care products, glues for paper and cardboard
cartons, bookbinding glue, clarification of wines, Hemostats,
sunscreens and sunblocks, dental floss, hairspray, inks, PVC

http://www.discover.com/aug_01/featcow.html
Explosives, Solvents, Industrial Oils, Industrial Lubricants,
Stearic Acid, Biodegradable Detergents, Herbicides, Syringes,
Gelatin Capsules, Bandage Strips, Combs and Toothbrushes,
Emery Boards and Cloth, Adhesive Tape, Laminated Wood Products,
Plywood and Paneling, Wallpaper and Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane
Wrap and Tape, Adhesive Tape, Abrasives, Bone Charcoal for High
Grade Steel, Steel Ball Bearings

http://www.sheepusa.org/environment/products.shtml
slaughters, and the animals live and die in it as they do
in any other habitat. They also depend on it for their
lives like the animals in any other habitat. If people
consume animal products from animals they think are
raised in decent ways, they will be promoting life for
more such animals in the future.
From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised
get over 500 pounds of human consumable meat. From a grass
raised dairy cow people get thousands of servings of dairy
products. Due to the influence of farm machinery, and *icides,
and in the case of rice the flooding and draining of fields,
one serving of soy or rice based product is likely to involve
more animal deaths than hundreds of servings derived from grass
raised cattle. Grass raised cattle products contribute to less
wildlife deaths, better wildlife habitat, and decent lives for
cattle. ·

On Tue, 04 May 2004 22:35:08 GMT, "katie" > wrote:

>"Vaine" > wrote in message
.com...
>> I started becoming a vegan aboot 2-3 monthes ago, I changed my diet, and
>> became more aware aboot the enviroment around me. Im becoming involved

>with
>> animal rights group, but after my friends had found out wat i started doin
>> they researched it. I consider myself "vegan" but some of friends say im

>not
>> because i wear a leather braclet with shells on it from kenya and leather
>> sandals, both hold somewat of a sintemintal value, and both being gifts

>from
>> my brothers.
>>
>> So, in u ppls opinion am i considered vegan or not?
>>

>lots of vegans still wear leather that they had before they went vegan, and
>some feel comfortable wearing second-hand leather as well. they just don't
>buy new leather,

You'd do just as well either way....the cows are long dead in either case,
and being a vegan does absolutely nothing to help cattle, or provide them
with longer or better lives. If people want to do something to contribute to
better lives for farm animals they need to be more consceintious consumers
of animal products, not vegan. Vegans don't help farm animals any more
than dead people do.

>unless they absolutely have to. throwing out old stuff
>when it's still useful and when it has sentimental value is wasteful,
>especially with shoes, which are harder for someone else to re-use. so hey,
>you might face some criticism for wearing that stuff, but it'd be crappier
>for the environment to toss em' and buy a new product.

Marvin Preuss

Vaine wrote:
> I started becoming a vegan aboot 2-3 monthes ago, I changed my diet, and
> became more aware aboot the enviroment around me. Im becoming involved with
> animal rights group, but after my friends had found out wat i started doin
> they researched it. I consider myself "vegan" but some of friends say im not
> because i wear a leather braclet with shells on it from kenya and leather
> sandals, both hold somewat of a sintemintal value, and both being gifts from
> my brothers.
>
> So, in u ppls opinion am i considered vegan or not?

its your only decision. i mean for my opinion i say its not vegan to
wear leather. but i did it like when i still have something from leather
i wear it but i wont buy anything new in leather and try to sort
out...maybe thats a idea

--
.-. "Only wimps use tape backup:
/V\ real men just upload their important stuff
Rubystars

"Vaine" > wrote in message
. com...
> I started becoming a vegan aboot 2-3 monthes ago, I changed my diet, and
> became more aware aboot the enviroment around me. Im becoming involved

with
> animal rights group, but after my friends had found out wat i started doin
> they researched it. I consider myself "vegan" but some of friends say im

not
> because i wear a leather braclet with shells on it from kenya and leather
> sandals, both hold somewat of a sintemintal value, and both being gifts

from
> my brothers.
>
> So, in u ppls opinion am i considered vegan or not?

It's not genuinely vegan (or a good idea in general) to waste things. As I'm
sure reading any of Rick etter's posts will tell you, producing things and
shipping them costs animal lives, no matter what they're made of. Use what
you have until it wears out, then, and only then, buy cruelty free/vegan
alternatives.

-Rubystars

usual suspect

Vaine wrote:

> I started becoming a vegan aboot 2-3 monthes ago, I changed my diet, and
> became more aware aboot the enviroment around me. Im becoming involved with
> animal rights group, but after my friends had found out wat i started doin
> they researched it. I consider myself "vegan" but some of friends say im not
> because i wear a leather braclet with shells on it from kenya and leather
> sandals, both hold somewat of a sintemintal value, and both being gifts from
> my brothers.
>
> So, in u ppls opinion am i considered vegan or not?

Why worry about such labels? Do you really care what other people call or think
of you? As for wearing leather, I consider any gift -- food, clothing, etc. --
sacred. The love of your brothers encourages the sentimental value you give your
bracelet and sandals. That love should outweigh any consideration for what
ninnies think of you. Blood is thicker than water. Names and descriptions
change. If others won't let you be "vegan" just because you enjoy gifts from
people who love you (and whom you love), then don't worry about being part of
the bandwagon. Be yourself.