Cheerful Pickle

Default Boullion

Hi, gang,

Ever since January when I adopted a vegan diet in January, though not for
"strictly vegan" reasons, I have had to make plenty of adjustments in my
diet. Some things were real sacrifices, such as giving up Mexican food and
pizzas. Other things proved to be pleasant alternatives. In February, I
discovered vegetarian bullion, which led me to become almost a vegetable
soup addict.

However, there is one thing that really bugs me about the vegetarian bullion
I see on the market. (The same holds true for meat based bullions.) I
would probably use more if they processors of all the bullions on the
market did not go totally ballistic in the amount of salt they put into
their products. It is very high.

It seems to me that if a person is capable of making his own soup from a
mixture of vegetables, spices and bullion, then he is certainly capable of
deciding for himself how much salt to add, rather than have some stupid
twits in some bullion factory off somewhere in La-la land try to impose
their taste on him by adding too much salt. If I can make soup, then I am
perfectly capable of either using a salt shaker or a measuring spoon to add
my own salt. After all, is that not why they invented salt shakers in the
first place? If something does not have enough salt, then you can always
add more, if it has too much, then you are stuck. YUK!!!

Does anyone make a salt-free vegetable bullion?

--
Andy Rugg - The Cheerful Pickle
To email me, please remove "postheap" from my email address. Thanks.
katie

"Cheerful Pickle" > wrote in message
> Hi, gang,
>
> Ever since January when I adopted a vegan diet in January, though not for
> "strictly vegan" reasons, I have had to make plenty of adjustments in my
> diet. Some things were real sacrifices, such as giving up Mexican food

and
> pizzas.

you gave up pizza? i did too at first, cause it thought i'd be gross
without cheese. but man, a year later i tried a cheeseless pizza, and it
was totally awesome. a lot of places have vegan-friendly crusts, and if you
get one that will give you lots of veggie toppings, you can nail a really
great pizza. some places look at you like you're crazy when you ask for no
cheese, and will still put it on after you specify it a zillion times, but
more often than not i find it works out well.

Other things proved to be pleasant alternatives. In February, I
> discovered vegetarian bullion, which led me to become almost a vegetable
> soup addict.
>
> However, there is one thing that really bugs me about the vegetarian

bullion
> I see on the market. (The same holds true for meat based bullions.) I
> would probably use more if they processors of all the bullions on the
> market did not go totally ballistic in the amount of salt they put into
> their products. It is very high.
>
> It seems to me that if a person is capable of making his own soup from a
> mixture of vegetables, spices and bullion, then he is certainly capable of
> deciding for himself how much salt to add, rather than have some stupid
> twits in some bullion factory off somewhere in La-la land try to impose
> their taste on him by adding too much salt. If I can make soup, then I am
> perfectly capable of either using a salt shaker or a measuring spoon to

add
> my own salt. After all, is that not why they invented salt shakers in the
> first place? If something does not have enough salt, then you can always
> add more, if it has too much, then you are stuck. YUK!!!
>
> Does anyone make a salt-free vegetable bullion?

i don't know, but the imagine brand organic veggie broth is one of my faves.
it's in a tetra pack, and it ain't cheap, but it's got fantastic flavour. i
don't find it too salty, and i like that you can really taste a depth in it,
like a whole spectrum of veggies, instead of a flat, salty, veg-soup-base
flavour. it's my fave, for sure. (ps, their tomato soup is also totally
awesome!)

> --
> Andy Rugg - The Cheerful Pickle
> To email me, please remove "postheap" from my email address. Thanks.

Cheerful Pickle

katie wrote:

> you gave up pizza? i did too at first, cause it thought i'd be gross
> without cheese. but man, a year later i tried a cheeseless pizza, and it
> was totally awesome. a lot of places have vegan-friendly crusts, and if
> you get one that will give you lots of veggie toppings, you can nail a
> really
> great pizza. some places look at you like you're crazy when you ask for
> no cheese, and will still put it on after you specify it a zillion times,
> but more often than not i find it works out well.

Hi, Katie,

It would seem that part of the purpose of the cheese is, of course, its
flavor. However, I imagine it would be a bit awkward eating a pizza
without cheese without everything falling all over the place everytime the
piece of pizza droops, for Pete's sake. What holds all the onions,
jalapenos, etc. in place? Super glue? As I wrote this, I thought that a
cheeseless calzone would make more sense.

Of course, things can get rather weird in trying to avoid all meat and
cheese. For years, I only ate spaghetti with tomato sauce, not because I
did not like the meat, but because I was not one for cooking (for one,
anyway) and I only found ready-made tomato sauce in a jar in the store
rather than meat sauce. I had almost forgotten there was such a thing as
meat sauce. So, last month when I went to a church spaghetti feed and
found out they used meat sauce, suffice it to say that naked spaghetti
without any kind of sauce is ... yuk. Oh, well, live and learn.

Thanks for the info on the Imagine brand bouillon. I haven't seen it yet.
I hope that the local health food store carries it. I also hope it is not
TOO expensive, since I am on a limited disability pension. and I go through
a ton of soup every week, almost every day.

--
Andy Rugg - The Cheerful Pickle
To email me, please remove "postheap" from my email address. Thanks.
katie

"Cheerful Pickle" > wrote in message
> katie wrote:
>
> > you gave up pizza? i did too at first, cause it thought i'd be gross
> > without cheese. but man, a year later i tried a cheeseless pizza, and

it
> > was totally awesome. a lot of places have vegan-friendly crusts, and if
> > you get one that will give you lots of veggie toppings, you can nail a
> > really
> > great pizza. some places look at you like you're crazy when you ask for
> > no cheese, and will still put it on after you specify it a zillion

times,
> > but more often than not i find it works out well.

> Hi, Katie,
>
> It would seem that part of the purpose of the cheese is, of course, its
> flavor. However, I imagine it would be a bit awkward eating a pizza
> without cheese without everything falling all over the place everytime the
> piece of pizza droops, for Pete's sake. What holds all the onions,
> jalapenos, etc. in place? Super glue? As I wrote this, I thought that a
> cheeseless calzone would make more sense.

honestly, i haven't found it to be any more awkward that what i remember
cheesy pizza to be like. cause sometimes the whole cheese-glob topping
thing would just slide right off when you tipped it vertically or took a
bite that still hung on. actually, something i always hated about pizza
cheese was when you swallowed a bite but the rubbery cheese somehow managed
to string into your mouth still so you had a big cheese string in your
throat gagging you. ick. that always grossed me out (although pizza was
always one of those yummy things that you scarf rather than take the time to
eat properly so as to avoid cheese-gags). anyhow, it's kinda nice to have
non-gag pizza now. and i just hold it carefully, and things don't fall off
any more (the sauce sticks it on pretty well, especially since it's kinda
'glued on' by being baked and having the sauce evaporate onto it, know what
i mean? i'd like to try making one from scratch sometime. a nice thin
wholewheat crust, good n' crispy, just packed with tomatoes, mushrooms,
green olives & garlic, with yummy tomatoey sauce, maybe some
spinach...mmm...

> Of course, things can get rather weird in trying to avoid all meat and
> cheese. For years, I only ate spaghetti with tomato sauce, not because I
> did not like the meat, but because I was not one for cooking (for one,
> anyway) and I only found ready-made tomato sauce in a jar in the store
> rather than meat sauce. I had almost forgotten there was such a thing as
> meat sauce. So, last month when I went to a church spaghetti feed and
> found out they used meat sauce, suffice it to say that naked spaghetti
> without any kind of sauce is ... yuk. Oh, well, live and learn.
>
> Thanks for the info on the Imagine brand bouillon. I haven't seen it yet.
> I hope that the local health food store carries it. I also hope it is not
> TOO expensive, since I am on a limited disability pension. and I go

through
> a ton of soup every week, almost every day.
>

> --
> Andy Rugg - The Cheerful Pickle
> To email me, please remove "postheap" from my email address. Thanks.

Cheerful Pickle

katie wrote:

> i'd like to try making one from scratch sometime. a nice thin
> wholewheat crust, good n' crispy, just packed with tomatoes, mushrooms,
> green olives & garlic, with yummy tomatoey sauce, maybe some
> spinach...mmm...

Hi, Katie.

Yum, yum. If you did that, I'd wish we were neighbors. Anyway, if you have
any good recipes for one, let me know. Thanks.

By the way, as far as things sliding off the pizza, I suspect that would
always be an advantage to calzones, which are basically pizzas folded
before cooking so that the goodies are sealed in.

--
Andy Rugg - The Cheerful Pickle
To email me, please remove "postheap" from my email address. Thanks.

Ms.Green

You don't have to give up pizza if you don't want to! Have you ever been to
boston pizza (do you have one near you)? They have this totally awesome
Californian (that comes cheeseless, all you have to do is ask for no
parmasan flakes) And it's SOOO good. And mexican food? Don't let being vegan
stop you from enjoying good stuff. You can make tacos from refried beans,
instead of beef, and if you miss the cheesy taste, there are some vegan
cheeses out there that don't completely suck.

And as for the boullion, there is a few low-sodium boullion that I know of
Kallo Organic Low Salt boulion stocks, organic gourmet low sodium vegetable
bouillon and marigold swiss vegetable vegan bouillon (those are usually in
hippie stores, if you have one in your area). I don't know about mccormack,
I like their boullion a lot, but I usually use one cube for about 3 L of
water, I don't know how much salt is in there though. There is another one,
that I don't know the name of it, I think it's called Rapunzel vegan
vegetable boullion, comes in a mustard colored pakage, and it is fairly low
sodium, it tastes pretty good and I've seen it at the regular supermarket.

Hear is a guide to vegetarian broths and boullion fron the vegetarian
resource group. http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj99jan/99janbroth.htm

Hope this helps,

Greenie

"Cheerful Pickle" > wrote in message

> Hi, gang,

> Ever since January when I adopted a vegan diet in January, though not

> for "strictly vegan" reasons, I have had to make plenty of adjustments

> in my diet. Some things were real sacrifices, such as giving up

> Mexican food and pizzas. Other things proved to be pleasant

> alternatives. In February, I discovered vegetarian bullion, which led

> me to become almost a vegetable soup addict.

> However, there is one thing that really bugs me about the vegetarian

> bullion I see on the market. (The same holds true for meat based

> bullions.) I would probably use more if they processors of all the

> bullions on the market did not go totally ballistic in the amount of

> salt they put into their products. It is very high.

> It seems to me that if a person is capable of making his own soup from

> a mixture of vegetables, spices and bullion, then he is certainly

> capable of deciding for himself how much salt to add, rather than have

> some stupid twits in some bullion factory off somewhere in La-la land

> try to impose their taste on him by adding too much salt. If I can

> make soup, then I am perfectly capable of either using a salt shaker

> or a measuring spoon to add my own salt. After all, is that not why

> they invented salt shakers in the first place? If something does not

> have enough salt, then you can always add more, if it has too much,

> then you are stuck. YUK!!!

> Does anyone make a salt-free vegetable bullion?

> --

> Andy Rugg - The Cheerful Pickle

> To email me, please remove "postheap" from my email address. Thanks.

Sarah Carter

Ms.Green > wrote in message =

> And as for the boullion, there is a few low-sodium boullion that I =

know of
> Kallo Organic Low Salt boulion stocks, organic gourmet low sodium =

vegetable
> bouillon and marigold swiss vegetable vegan bouillon (those are =

usually in
> hippie stores, if you have one in your area).=20

I use the Marigold Swiss vegtable vegan boullion poweder as it is vegan =
and gluten-free. I get it from Sainsbury's in the UK.

Sarah
--=20
Books, books and occassionally more books!
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....s&userid=3Dpo=
okledo

katie

"Cheerful Pickle" > wrote in message
> katie wrote:
>
> > i'd like to try making one from scratch sometime. a nice thin
> > wholewheat crust, good n' crispy, just packed with tomatoes, mushrooms,
> > green olives & garlic, with yummy tomatoey sauce, maybe some
> > spinach...mmm...

> Hi, Katie.
>
> Yum, yum. If you did that, I'd wish we were neighbors. Anyway, if you

have
> any good recipes for one, let me know. Thanks.

haven't tried any yet, but now that we're talking about it, i think i might
make a pizza for lunch! i'll let you know how it goes, and if i manage a
good crust, i'll post the recipe. have one from chef deb on vegsource right
now, but i'm not sure if it's whole wheat. i'll try to dig up one that is.

> By the way, as far as things sliding off the pizza, I suspect that would
> always be an advantage to calzones, which are basically pizzas folded
> before cooking so that the goodies are sealed in.
>

> --
> Andy Rugg - The Cheerful Pickle
> To email me, please remove "postheap" from my email address. Thanks.

Rubystars

"Cheerful Pickle" > wrote in message
<snip>
> It seems to me that if a person is capable of making his own soup from a
> mixture of vegetables, spices and bullion, then he is certainly capable of
> deciding for himself how much salt to add, rather than have some stupid
> twits in some bullion factory off somewhere in La-la land try to impose
> their taste on him by adding too much salt. If I can make soup, then I am
> perfectly capable of either using a salt shaker or a measuring spoon to

add
> my own salt.

And you're perfectly capable of buying "low sodium" *cans* of veg broth,
and/or adding more water to the broth to dilute it until it's not too salty.

-Rubystars

Ron

Cheerful Pickle > wrote in message >...
> Hi, gang,
>
> Ever since January when I adopted a vegan diet in January, though not for
> "strictly vegan" reasons, I have had to make plenty of adjustments in my
> diet. Some things were real sacrifices, such as giving up Mexican food and
> pizzas. Other things proved to be pleasant alternatives. In February, I
> discovered vegetarian bullion, which led me to become almost a vegetable
> soup addict.
>
> However, there is one thing that really bugs me about the vegetarian bullion
> I see on the market. (The same holds true for meat based bullions.) I
> would probably use more if they processors of all the bullions on the
> market did not go totally ballistic in the amount of salt they put into
> their products. It is very high.
>
> It seems to me that if a person is capable of making his own soup from a
> mixture of vegetables, spices and bullion, then he is certainly capable of
> deciding for himself how much salt to add, rather than have some stupid
> twits in some bullion factory off somewhere in La-la land try to impose
> their taste on him by adding too much salt. If I can make soup, then I am
> perfectly capable of either using a salt shaker or a measuring spoon to add
> my own salt. After all, is that not why they invented salt shakers in the
> first place? If something does not have enough salt, then you can always
> add more, if it has too much, then you are stuck. YUK!!!
>
> Does anyone make a salt-free vegetable bullion?

Make your own bullion.

usual suspect

Cheerful Pickle wrote:

> Hi, gang,
>
> Ever since January when I adopted a vegan diet in January, though not for
> "strictly vegan" reasons, I have had to make plenty of adjustments in my
> diet. Some things were real sacrifices, such as giving up Mexican food and
> pizzas. Other things proved to be pleasant alternatives. In February, I
> discovered vegetarian bullion, which led me to become almost a vegetable
> soup addict.
>
> However, there is one thing that really bugs me about the vegetarian bullion
> I see on the market. (The same holds true for meat based bullions.) I
> would probably use more if they processors of all the bullions on the
> market did not go totally ballistic in the amount of salt they put into
> their products. It is very high.
>
> It seems to me that if a person is capable of making his own soup from a
> mixture of vegetables, spices and bullion, then he is certainly capable of
> deciding for himself how much salt to add, rather than have some stupid
> twits in some bullion factory off somewhere in La-la land try to impose
> their taste on him by adding too much salt. If I can make soup, then I am
> perfectly capable of either using a salt shaker or a measuring spoon to add
> my own salt. After all, is that not why they invented salt shakers in the
> first place? If something does not have enough salt, then you can always
> add more, if it has too much, then you are stuck. YUK!!!
>
> Does anyone make a salt-free vegetable bullion?

What an awfully long post just to ask that simple question. Try making your own
veggie stock using your favorite veggies. You can make huge batches and store it
in the size of containers you would normally use per cooking episode. Look up
recipes for vegetable stock using Google and find one that suits your tastes.

usual suspect

Cheerful Pickle wrote:
<...>
> It would seem that part of the purpose of the cheese is, of course, its
> flavor. However, I imagine it would be a bit awkward eating a pizza
> without cheese without everything falling all over the place everytime the
> piece of pizza droops, for Pete's sake. What holds all the onions,
> jalapenos, etc. in place? Super glue? As I wrote this, I thought that a
> cheeseless calzone would make more sense.

The sauce on the pizza thickens as it cooks and does a pretty good job of
holding ingredients. At least in my experience. You may want to first sautee
ingredients that put out a lot of moisture when they cook.

<...>