soapless

Default he\she is not my cat, but

Someone else's fat cat now lives with me. De-clawed and miserable, the
majority of distempered cats slated for death have had this procedure.
It drives them nuts, not to be able to scratch themselves, defend or
climb. This one is "an indoor cat, a one person cat" i was told, hated
evrybody and would hiss at them.

Well, it's been one month and we have agreed on a few issues.

I leave the window open with no screen and peanuts on the windowsill.
Mammal environment enrichment -peta would be proud. Not every
squirrell, but so far most birds just get pounced at and no peanut.
Sometimes i put his food just outside the door and he sneaks out a
bit. He is more lithe now, the crippled paws not so noticable. The
first few weeks i fed him\her [haven't checked, didn't ask, but
suspect by build it's a he and probably neutered, won't look -it's not
polite or any of my business] all he wanted to eat and he got meaner
by the day ther is a provider interplay that i hope to never think i
understand and this vibe is probably why he stopped growling when i
fed him .
He hated us, food bringers, claw pullers and more. But he seems to
enjoy the window and has physically transformed. He just can't be left
alone with food, as was a problem for his previous owner, an obese
omnivore herself. Now i dole out food as if it were more precious that
the cheap stuff i bought, mostly corn -but he would not touch the
canned meat and was very upset that it was even offered . Maybe he
knows more about me being veg*n than i thought.

I won't touch him, he's 5 years old and been through the ringer. At
first it was because he hissed and swatted when i tried, now even
though i probably could i just won't out of reverance.

He looks outside as if he's never seen or smelled a tree. This makes
me feel like a lab assistant watching helplessly as another stupid
animal experiment is being performed, one on sensory deprivation.
Rubystars

"soapless" > wrote in message
m...
> Someone else's fat cat now lives with me. De-clawed and miserable, the
> majority of distempered cats slated for death have had this procedure.
> It drives them nuts, not to be able to scratch themselves, defend or
> climb. This one is "an indoor cat, a one person cat" i was told, hated
> evrybody and would hiss at them.

When they do that procedure, do they take out the claws on the back feet
too? It seems like he could scratch himself with them if they didn't.

> Well, it's been one month and we have agreed on a few issues.
> I leave the window open with no screen and peanuts on the windowsill.

Hopefully ground level.

> Mammal environment enrichment -peta would be proud.

PETA would put the cat to sleep.

> Not every
> squirrell, but so far most birds just get pounced at and no peanut.

lol That's cute, since the cat can't hurt them.

> Sometimes i put his food just outside the door and he sneaks out a
> bit. He is more lithe now, the crippled paws not so noticable.

That's good.

>The
> first few weeks i fed him\her [haven't checked, didn't ask, but
> suspect by build it's a he and probably neutered, won't look -it's not
> polite or any of my business]

All dogs and cats should be spayed/neutered unless they're being bred by
professionals. If he ever calms down enough, you need to find out, because
you don't want any feral kittens being sired by him.

>all he wanted to eat and he got meaner
> by the day ther is a provider interplay that i hope to never think i
> understand and this vibe is probably why he stopped growling when i
> fed him .

Hopefully he'll respond to your kindness and be a better pet.

> He hated us, food bringers, claw pullers and more. But he seems to
> enjoy the window and has physically transformed.

Awesome!

> He just can't be left
> alone with food, as was a problem for his previous owner, an obese
> omnivore herself.

If the cat wasn't being adequately fed before, then he's going to need to be
built up again. One of my dogs was a stray who was nearly starved to death
by the time we took him in. He's a good eater. He's always remained a
little on the skinny side though even though we feed him more than enough.

> Now i dole out food as if it were more precious that
> the cheap stuff i bought, mostly corn

Cats need taurine. They'll go blind without it, and have other health
problems without meat, some of them potentially lethal. You can't feed cats
on a corn diet. They need meat.

> -but he would not touch the
> canned meat and was very upset that it was even offered .

He'll touch it when he's hungry enough. You're the one who said he couldn't
be left alone with food. Human food, maybe... but he needs to learn to
accept cat food, or at least some form of meat. You can't keep him healthy
on a vegeterian diet, much less a vegan one.

>Maybe he
> knows more about me being veg*n than i thought.

If you can't get him to eat meat then you need to talk to a vet about
taurine supplements and other things you may need to do.

> I won't touch him, he's 5 years old and been through the ringer. At
> first it was because he hissed and swatted when i tried, now even
> though i probably could i just won't out of reverance.

He needs to be made handleable so you can take him to the vet when he needs
it. The vet, btw, could tell you if he's neutered or not.

> He looks outside as if he's never seen or smelled a tree. This makes
> me feel like a lab assistant watching helplessly as another stupid
> animal experiment is being performed, one on sensory deprivation.

It's sad how some people mistreat their animals, but it's really better if
cats are kept indoors. They're not exposed to fights, poisons, diseases,
etc. that way. An indoor environment can be made rich and interesting for
them.

-Rubystars

Ron

(soapless) wrote in message om>...
> Someone else's fat cat now lives with me. De-clawed and miserable, the
> majority of distempered cats slated for death have had this procedure.
> It drives them nuts, not to be able to scratch themselves, defend or
> climb. This one is "an indoor cat, a one person cat" i was told, hated
> evrybody and would hiss at them.
>
> Well, it's been one month and we have agreed on a few issues.
>
> I leave the window open with no screen and peanuts on the windowsill.
> Mammal environment enrichment -peta would be proud. Not every
> squirrell, but so far most birds just get pounced at and no peanut.
> Sometimes i put his food just outside the door and he sneaks out a
> bit. He is more lithe now, the crippled paws not so noticable. The
> first few weeks i fed him\her [haven't checked, didn't ask, but
> suspect by build it's a he and probably neutered, won't look -it's not
> polite or any of my business]

If it's a "he", he will make it your business by ****ing on everything
to mark it. (providing he still has the ol' knackers)

Better sneak a peek while he's bathing.

all he wanted to eat and he got meaner
> by the day ther is a provider interplay that i hope to never think i
> understand and this vibe is probably why he stopped growling when i
> fed him .
> He hated us, food bringers, claw pullers and more. But he seems to
> enjoy the window and has physically transformed. He just can't be left
> alone with food, as was a problem for his previous owner, an obese
> omnivore herself. Now i dole out food as if it were more precious that
> the cheap stuff i bought, mostly corn -but he would not touch the
> canned meat and was very upset that it was even offered . Maybe he
> knows more about me being veg*n than i thought.
>
> I won't touch him, he's 5 years old and been through the ringer. At
> first it was because he hissed and swatted when i tried, now even
> though i probably could i just won't out of reverance.
>
> He looks outside as if he's never seen or smelled a tree. This makes
> me feel like a lab assistant watching helplessly as another stupid
> animal experiment is being performed, one on sensory deprivation.

Gloxinia

"soapless" > wrote in message
m...
> Someone else's fat cat now lives with me. De-clawed and miserable, the
> majority of distempered cats slated for death have had this procedure.
> It drives them nuts, not to be able to scratch themselves, defend or
> climb. This one is "an indoor cat, a one person cat" i was told, hated
> evrybody and would hiss at them.
>
> Well, it's been one month and we have agreed on a few issues.
>
> I leave the window open with no screen and peanuts on the windowsill.
> Mammal environment enrichment -peta would be proud. Not every
> squirrell, but so far most birds just get pounced at and no peanut.
> Sometimes i put his food just outside the door and he sneaks out a
> bit. He is more lithe now, the crippled paws not so noticable. The
> first few weeks i fed him\her [haven't checked, didn't ask, but
> suspect by build it's a he and probably neutered, won't look -it's not
> polite or any of my business] all he wanted to eat and he got meaner
> by the day ther is a provider interplay that i hope to never think i
> understand and this vibe is probably why he stopped growling when i
> fed him .
> He hated us, food bringers, claw pullers and more. But he seems to
> enjoy the window and has physically transformed. He just can't be left
> alone with food, as was a problem for his previous owner, an obese
> omnivore herself. Now i dole out food as if it were more precious that
> the cheap stuff i bought, mostly corn -but he would not touch the
> canned meat and was very upset that it was even offered . Maybe he
> knows more about me being veg*n than i thought.
>
> I won't touch him, he's 5 years old and been through the ringer. At
> first it was because he hissed and swatted when i tried, now even
> though i probably could i just won't out of reverance.
>
> He looks outside as if he's never seen or smelled a tree. This makes
> me feel like a lab assistant watching helplessly as another stupid
> animal experiment is being performed, one on sensory deprivation.

Is it still common practice to declaw cats over there ? It is unheard of in
Scandinavia and UK ... so why is it considered necessary ?

soapless

You'll have to ask Rubystars. She seems pretty pro-vet.

Ron

(Ron) wrote in message . com>...

(soapless) wrote in message om>...
> > Someone else's fat cat now lives with me. De-clawed and miserable, the
> > majority of distempered cats slated for death have had this procedure.
> > It drives them nuts, not to be able to scratch themselves, defend or
> > climb. This one is "an indoor cat, a one person cat" i was told, hated
> > evrybody and would hiss at them.
> >
> > Well, it's been one month and we have agreed on a few issues.
> >
> > I leave the window open with no screen and peanuts on the windowsill.
> > Mammal environment enrichment -peta would be proud. Not every
> > squirrell, but so far most birds just get pounced at and no peanut.
> > Sometimes i put his food just outside the door and he sneaks out a
> > bit. He is more lithe now, the crippled paws not so noticable. The
> > first few weeks i fed him\her [haven't checked, didn't ask, but
> > suspect by build it's a he and probably neutered, won't look -it's not
> > polite or any of my business]

> If it's a "he", he will make it your business by ****ing on everything
> to mark it. (providing he still has the ol' knackers)
>
> Better sneak a peek while he's bathing.

Unless you're scared he'll think you're *** for doing it.

> all he wanted to eat and he got meaner
> > by the day ther is a provider interplay that i hope to never think i
> > understand and this vibe is probably why he stopped growling when i
> > fed him .
> > He hated us, food bringers, claw pullers and more. But he seems to
> > enjoy the window and has physically transformed. He just can't be left
> > alone with food, as was a problem for his previous owner, an obese
> > omnivore herself. Now i dole out food as if it were more precious that
> > the cheap stuff i bought, mostly corn -but he would not touch the
> > canned meat and was very upset that it was even offered . Maybe he
> > knows more about me being veg*n than i thought.
> >
> > I won't touch him, he's 5 years old and been through the ringer. At
> > first it was because he hissed and swatted when i tried, now even
> > though i probably could i just won't out of reverance.
> >
> > He looks outside as if he's never seen or smelled a tree. This makes
> > me feel like a lab assistant watching helplessly as another stupid
> > animal experiment is being performed, one on sensory deprivation.

Karl Hungus

"Rubystars" > wrote in message

> "soapless" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Someone else's fat cat now lives with me. De-clawed and miserable, the
> > majority of distempered cats slated for death have had this procedure.
> > It drives them nuts, not to be able to scratch themselves, defend or
> > climb. This one is "an indoor cat, a one person cat" i was told, hated
> > evrybody and would hiss at them.

> When they do that procedure, do they take out the claws on the back feet
> too? It seems like he could scratch himself with them if they didn't.

Typically, only the front paws are declawed.

Again, typically.

Rubystars

"Karl Hungus" > wrote in message

> "Rubystars" > wrote in message
> >
> > "soapless" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > Someone else's fat cat now lives with me. De-clawed and miserable, the
> > > majority of distempered cats slated for death have had this procedure.
> > > It drives them nuts, not to be able to scratch themselves, defend or
> > > climb. This one is "an indoor cat, a one person cat" i was told, hated
> > > evrybody and would hiss at them.

> > When they do that procedure, do they take out the claws on the back feet
> > too? It seems like he could scratch himself with them if they didn't.

> Typically, only the front paws are declawed.
>
> Again, typically.

Ok thanks for the info.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"soapless" > wrote in message
m...
> You'll have to ask Rubystars. She seems pretty pro-vet.

I'm pro-vet because I think animals in human care deserve to have their
owners guided by a professional.

I don't think cats should be declawed in most cases.

-Rubystars

Karl Hungus

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
. com...

> > Typically, only the front paws are declawed.
> >
> > Again, typically.

> Ok thanks for the info.
>
> -Rubystars

Oh, and anatomically speaking, it's tantamount to amputating the tips of
your fingers.

Or so I've been told . . .

Rubystars

> "Rubystars" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
> > > Typically, only the front paws are declawed.
> > >
> > > Again, typically.

> > Ok thanks for the info.
> >
> > -Rubystars

> Oh, and anatomically speaking, it's tantamount to amputating the tips of
> your fingers.
>
> Or so I've been told . . .

I've heard that too.

-Rubystars