katie

Default has anyone tried making gee whiz?

you know joanne stepaniak's gee whiz recipe from her uncheese cookbook?
i've read so many rave reviews, but when i made it, i thought it was awful.
i probably screwed up the recipe somehow, since i had a hell of an academic
hangover from the all-nighter the night before. shouldn't cook with recipes
when i'm out of it like that. i'm hoping i messed it up so that if i make
it perfectly, it'll be the amazing, delicious recipe that everyone seems to
think it is. anyone tried it? what did you think?

usual suspect

katie wrote:
> you know joanne stepaniak's gee whiz recipe from her uncheese cookbook?
> i've read so many rave reviews, but when i made it, i thought it was awful.
> i probably screwed up the recipe somehow, since i had a hell of an academic
> hangover from the all-nighter the night before. shouldn't cook with recipes
> when i'm out of it like that. i'm hoping i messed it up so that if i make
> it perfectly, it'll be the amazing, delicious recipe that everyone seems to
> think it is. anyone tried it? what did you think?

I've given my recipe/tutorial for a miso-based cheese before. Here's a link:
http://snipurl.com/5uzq

I've added fresh jalapeños and Huy Fung chili-garlic sauce to it before. I
prefer it spiced up. Works fine as a spread or dip and has a decent flavor, but
it's *not* cheese and won't fool anyone.

katie

> I've added fresh jalapeños and Huy Fung chili-garlic sauce to it before. I
> prefer it spiced up. Works fine as a spread or dip and has a decent

flavor, but
> it's *not* cheese and won't fool anyone.

thanks () i'm not looking to fool anyone. i just had a craving for a
veggiedog with cheeze whiz on it, which is weird, cause i don't think that
i've ever even eaten that combo. just got my hopes up after all the rave
reviews of the recipe, although i know that there's no truly good way to
duplicate most forms of cheese as of yet. luckily i don't crave it often,
and when i do my grilled tofutti-cheeze stuff does the trick.

usual suspect

katie wrote:

>>I've added fresh jalapeños and Huy Fung chili-garlic sauce to it before. I
>>prefer it spiced up. Works fine as a spread or dip and has a decent

> flavor, but
>>it's *not* cheese and won't fool anyone.

> thanks () i'm not looking to fool anyone. i just had a craving for a
> veggiedog with cheeze whiz on it, which is weird, cause i don't think that
> i've ever even eaten that combo.

Cravings often arise from vitamin or mineral deficiencies. Are you
conscientiously eating for health, or just to avoid animal parts?

> just got my hopes up after all the rave
> reviews of the recipe, although i know that there's no truly good way to
> duplicate most forms of cheese as of yet. luckily i don't crave it often,
> and when i do my grilled tofutti-cheeze stuff does the trick.

The recipe/procedure I linked kind of has the mouthfeel and flavor of
cheez-whiz, but the texture is more like miso-seed/nut butter. Try making a
little bit (1 tbsp each of miso and tahini or even peanut butter, blended well)
and see if it works for you.

katie

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> katie wrote:

> >>I've added fresh jalapeños and Huy Fung chili-garlic sauce to it before.

> >>prefer it spiced up. Works fine as a spread or dip and has a decent

> > flavor, but
> >>it's *not* cheese and won't fool anyone.

> > thanks () i'm not looking to fool anyone. i just had a craving for a
> > veggiedog with cheeze whiz on it, which is weird, cause i don't think

that
> > i've ever even eaten that combo.

> Cravings often arise from vitamin or mineral deficiencies. Are you
> conscientiously eating for health, or just to avoid animal parts?

for health, definitely. i can tell the difference between my 'i need
vitamins' cravings (which usually have me craving vegetables, esp. spinach,
or beans), and my stress-cravings, which usually have me craving pure, evil
junk, and are always timed around my pms + super stressful times (which are
usually the times when i need my healthy brain-food and sleep the
most...then you want to eat crap and are too stressed to sleep! *sigh*...)
those ones i can usually outsmart, like eating fruit for sugar instead of
refined garbage, or a mug o' hot soymilk n' cocoa instead of a bucket of soy
delicious or a bag of cookies. the 'i need vitamins' ones i just fix by
following those cravings. i tend to eat whatever my body wants (ie. salad),
like every day for a week or so, and then i get sick of it, and my body
starts nagging for something else, and i don't eat the other thing for a
couple of months again. meh. it's weird, but that's just how my system
seems to like to operate. always has.

> > just got my hopes up after all the rave
> > reviews of the recipe, although i know that there's no truly good way to
> > duplicate most forms of cheese as of yet. luckily i don't crave it

often,
> > and when i do my grilled tofutti-cheeze stuff does the trick.

> The recipe/procedure I linked kind of has the mouthfeel and flavor of
> cheez-whiz, but the texture is more like miso-seed/nut butter. Try making

> little bit (1 tbsp each of miso and tahini or even peanut butter, blended

well)
> and see if it works for you.

definitely will try it. the uncheese recipe i tried had tahini + pimentos +
great northern beans (i used white kidneys instead since i couldn't find the
other ones...maybe that was my downfal) and FRESH lemon juice (which is
pivotal, apparently), and salt and prepared mustard and onion flakes and
nutritional yeast (which is all i can really taste and smell).