Jennifer

Default Feeding cows herring? WTF?

What has this world come to? Now we are going to start feeding cows
seafood? WTF?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science...eut/index.html

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) -- Some landlocked Canadian cows are
enjoying a little seafood with their hay and grain so they can produce
a new kind of milk being touted for its benefits for the brain, eyes
and nerves.

The milk, produced by herring-fed cows in Ontario, provides a fatty
acid also common in salmon, trout and mackerel to diets of people who
don't eat enough fish, said Larry Milligan, a researcher at the
University of Guelph, which developed the milk.

But it doesn't taste fishy, Milligan said Tuesday.

"I don't detect any difference whatsoever from regular milk," he said.

The milk is sold in Ontario by Neilson Dairy, a subsidiary of George
Weston Ltd. , Canada's largest food processor and distributor.

At $5.29 (Canadian) per four liters ($3.98 for 3.5 quarts), it's more
than 20 percent pricier than regular milk, but similar in cost to
calcium-enriched milk.

The fatty acid, called docoshexaenoic acid, or DHA, is an omega-3
fatty acid that is also found in omega-3 eggs, nuts and canola oil.

Ninety grams (three ounces) of cooked Atlantic salmon contains 1.2
grams of DHA, a week's worth of what the body needs, according to the
U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Drinking three cups of the fortified homogenized milk provides 0.06
grams of DHA, Neilson said.

Children can get almost 60 percent of recommended DHA by drinking two
cups of the new milk a day, it said.

But one food activist said the nutritional claims are a red herring
used for marketing.

"I'm frankly so skeptical of all the dietary claims: one thing is good
for you, and then it's not," said Brewster Kneen, publisher of The
Ram's Horn journal, which rails against biotechnology and
multinational food processors while promoting organic farming.

Kneen said cows are best left to turning grass and hay into foods
humans can eat rather than eating designer diets.

"Why are we taking herring, which is a good human food, and putting it
through a cow? This is very strange," Kneen said.

Milligan said fish meal has been used for protein in livestock diets
for decades and is safe.

"DHA milk was put through all the possible analytical measurements you
could even imagine for Health Canada [the country's health ministry]
and was approved," he said.
Rubystars

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
m...
> What has this world come to? Now we are going to start feeding cows
> seafood? WTF?

I think this is great if it will help people to become healthier.

-Rubystars

Ron

(Jennifer) wrote in message om>...

> What has this world come to? Now we are going to start feeding cows
> seafood? WTF?

What has this world come to? We've been eating seafood! (sentient sea life)

WTF?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science...eut/index.html

> WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) -- Some landlocked Canadian cows are
> enjoying a little seafood with their hay and grain so they can produce
> a new kind of milk being touted for its benefits for the brain, eyes
> and nerves.
>
> The milk, produced by herring-fed cows in Ontario, provides a fatty
> acid also common in salmon, trout and mackerel to diets of people who
> don't eat enough fish, said Larry Milligan, a researcher at the
> University of Guelph, which developed the milk.
>
> But it doesn't taste fishy, Milligan said Tuesday.
>
> "I don't detect any difference whatsoever from regular milk," he said.
>
> The milk is sold in Ontario by Neilson Dairy, a subsidiary of George
> Weston Ltd. , Canada's largest food processor and distributor.
>
> At $5.29 (Canadian) per four liters ($3.98 for 3.5 quarts), it's more
> than 20 percent pricier than regular milk, but similar in cost to
> calcium-enriched milk.
>
> The fatty acid, called docoshexaenoic acid, or DHA, is an omega-3
> fatty acid that is also found in omega-3 eggs, nuts and canola oil.
>
> Ninety grams (three ounces) of cooked Atlantic salmon contains 1.2
> grams of DHA, a week's worth of what the body needs, according to the
> U.S. Department of Agriculture.
>
> Drinking three cups of the fortified homogenized milk provides 0.06
> grams of DHA, Neilson said.
>
> Children can get almost 60 percent of recommended DHA by drinking two
> cups of the new milk a day, it said.
>
> But one food activist said the nutritional claims are a red herring
> used for marketing.
>
> "I'm frankly so skeptical of all the dietary claims: one thing is good
> for you, and then it's not," said Brewster Kneen, publisher of The
> Ram's Horn journal, which rails against biotechnology and
> multinational food processors while promoting organic farming.
>
> Kneen said cows are best left to turning grass and hay into foods
> humans can eat rather than eating designer diets.
>
> "Why are we taking herring, which is a good human food, and putting it
> through a cow? This is very strange," Kneen said.
>
> Milligan said fish meal has been used for protein in livestock diets
> for decades and is safe.
>
> "DHA milk was put through all the possible analytical measurements you
> could even imagine for Health Canada [the country's health ministry]
> and was approved," he said.

rick etter

"Ron" > wrote in message
om...
> (Jennifer) wrote in message

om>...

> > What has this world come to? Now we are going to start feeding cows
> > seafood? WTF?

> What has this world come to? We've been eating seafood! (sentient sea

life)

> WTF?

====================
As opposed to your just killing it and letting it rot? Why is that better
than eating it?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science...eut/index.html

> > WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) -- Some landlocked Canadian cows are
> > enjoying a little seafood with their hay and grain so they can produce
> > a new kind of milk being touted for its benefits for the brain, eyes
> > and nerves.
> >
> > The milk, produced by herring-fed cows in Ontario, provides a fatty
> > acid also common in salmon, trout and mackerel to diets of people who
> > don't eat enough fish, said Larry Milligan, a researcher at the
> > University of Guelph, which developed the milk.
> >
> > But it doesn't taste fishy, Milligan said Tuesday.
> >
> > "I don't detect any difference whatsoever from regular milk," he said.
> >
> > The milk is sold in Ontario by Neilson Dairy, a subsidiary of George
> > Weston Ltd. , Canada's largest food processor and distributor.
> >
> > At $5.29 (Canadian) per four liters ($3.98 for 3.5 quarts), it's more
> > than 20 percent pricier than regular milk, but similar in cost to
> > calcium-enriched milk.
> >
> > The fatty acid, called docoshexaenoic acid, or DHA, is an omega-3
> > fatty acid that is also found in omega-3 eggs, nuts and canola oil.
> >
> > Ninety grams (three ounces) of cooked Atlantic salmon contains 1.2
> > grams of DHA, a week's worth of what the body needs, according to the
> > U.S. Department of Agriculture.
> >
> > Drinking three cups of the fortified homogenized milk provides 0.06
> > grams of DHA, Neilson said.
> >
> > Children can get almost 60 percent of recommended DHA by drinking two
> > cups of the new milk a day, it said.
> >
> > But one food activist said the nutritional claims are a red herring
> > used for marketing.
> >
> > "I'm frankly so skeptical of all the dietary claims: one thing is good
> > for you, and then it's not," said Brewster Kneen, publisher of The
> > Ram's Horn journal, which rails against biotechnology and
> > multinational food processors while promoting organic farming.
> >
> > Kneen said cows are best left to turning grass and hay into foods
> > humans can eat rather than eating designer diets.
> >
> > "Why are we taking herring, which is a good human food, and putting it
> > through a cow? This is very strange," Kneen said.
> >
> > Milligan said fish meal has been used for protein in livestock diets
> > for decades and is safe.
> >
> > "DHA milk was put through all the possible analytical measurements you
> > could even imagine for Health Canada [the country's health ministry]
> > and was approved," he said.

Ron

"rick etter" > wrote in message hlink.net>...
> "Ron" > wrote in message
> om...
> > (Jennifer) wrote in message

> om>...
> >

> > > What has this world come to? Now we are going to start feeding cows
> > > seafood? WTF?

> > What has this world come to? We've been eating seafood! (sentient sea

> life)
> >
> > WTF?

> ====================
> As opposed to your just killing it and letting it rot? Why is that better
> than eating it?

I'm killing sealife and letting it rot!!? (sigh) O.K. pEtter....let's
hear your latest theory on how vegans LY and KILL for fun.

..

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science...eut/index.html

> > > WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) -- Some landlocked Canadian cows are
> > > enjoying a little seafood with their hay and grain so they can produce
> > > a new kind of milk being touted for its benefits for the brain, eyes
> > > and nerves.
> > >
> > > The milk, produced by herring-fed cows in Ontario, provides a fatty
> > > acid also common in salmon, trout and mackerel to diets of people who
> > > don't eat enough fish, said Larry Milligan, a researcher at the
> > > University of Guelph, which developed the milk.
> > >
> > > But it doesn't taste fishy, Milligan said Tuesday.
> > >
> > > "I don't detect any difference whatsoever from regular milk," he said.
> > >
> > > The milk is sold in Ontario by Neilson Dairy, a subsidiary of George
> > > Weston Ltd. , Canada's largest food processor and distributor.
> > >
> > > At $5.29 (Canadian) per four liters ($3.98 for 3.5 quarts), it's more
> > > than 20 percent pricier than regular milk, but similar in cost to
> > > calcium-enriched milk.
> > >
> > > The fatty acid, called docoshexaenoic acid, or DHA, is an omega-3
> > > fatty acid that is also found in omega-3 eggs, nuts and canola oil.
> > >
> > > Ninety grams (three ounces) of cooked Atlantic salmon contains 1.2
> > > grams of DHA, a week's worth of what the body needs, according to the
> > > U.S. Department of Agriculture.
> > >
> > > Drinking three cups of the fortified homogenized milk provides 0.06
> > > grams of DHA, Neilson said.
> > >
> > > Children can get almost 60 percent of recommended DHA by drinking two
> > > cups of the new milk a day, it said.
> > >
> > > But one food activist said the nutritional claims are a red herring
> > > used for marketing.
> > >
> > > "I'm frankly so skeptical of all the dietary claims: one thing is good
> > > for you, and then it's not," said Brewster Kneen, publisher of The
> > > Ram's Horn journal, which rails against biotechnology and
> > > multinational food processors while promoting organic farming.
> > >
> > > Kneen said cows are best left to turning grass and hay into foods
> > > humans can eat rather than eating designer diets.
> > >
> > > "Why are we taking herring, which is a good human food, and putting it
> > > through a cow? This is very strange," Kneen said.
> > >
> > > Milligan said fish meal has been used for protein in livestock diets
> > > for decades and is safe.
> > >
> > > "DHA milk was put through all the possible analytical measurements you
> > > could even imagine for Health Canada [the country's health ministry]
> > > and was approved," he said.

Jennifer

"Rubystars" > wrote in message . com>...
> "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> m...
> > What has this world come to? Now we are going to start feeding cows
> > seafood? WTF?

> I think this is great if it will help people to become healthier.
>
> -Rubystars

When was the last time you saw a cow munching seafood? Never. Why
because cows are VEGETARIAN. If people want the benefits of eating
fish, then eat fish, don't feed it to an animal that is a natural
vegetarian. What's next feeding cows, cows. Oh wait they aleardy did
that.
Rubystars

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
om...
> "Rubystars" > wrote in message

. com>...
> > "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > What has this world come to? Now we are going to start feeding cows
> > > seafood? WTF?

> > I think this is great if it will help people to become healthier.
> >
> > -Rubystars

> When was the last time you saw a cow munching seafood? Never. Why
> because cows are VEGETARIAN. If people want the benefits of eating
> fish, then eat fish, don't feed it to an animal that is a natural
> vegetarian. What's next feeding cows, cows. Oh wait they aleardy did
> that.

It doesn't matter what the natural diet of the cows are. This is creating a
specialty product raised in domesticated animals. The article already
mentioned that this is a good way to get these nutrients for people who
don't like to eat fish.

-Rubystars

Ron

"Rubystars" > wrote in message om>...
> "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Rubystars" > wrote in message

> . com>...
> > > "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> > > m...
> > >
> > > I think this is great if it will help people to become healthier.
> > >
> > > -Rubystars

> > When was the last time you saw a cow munching seafood? Never. Why
> > because cows are VEGETARIAN. If people want the benefits of eating
> > fish, then eat fish, don't feed it to an animal that is a natural
> > vegetarian. What's next feeding cows, cows. Oh wait they aleardy did
> > that.

> It doesn't matter what the natural diet of the cows are. This is creating a
> specialty product raised in domesticated animals. The article already
> mentioned that this is a good way to get these nutrients for people who
> don't like to eat fish.
>
> -Rubystars

What a crock of shit!

The article also mentions canola oil as a source for the omegas. Why
not just consume that?

Jeez.
Jennifer

"Rubystars" > wrote in message om>...
> "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Rubystars" > wrote in message

> . com>...
> > > "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> > > m...
> > >
> > > I think this is great if it will help people to become healthier.
> > >
> > > -Rubystars

> > When was the last time you saw a cow munching seafood? Never. Why
> > because cows are VEGETARIAN. If people want the benefits of eating
> > fish, then eat fish, don't feed it to an animal that is a natural
> > vegetarian. What's next feeding cows, cows. Oh wait they aleardy did
> > that.

> It doesn't matter what the natural diet of the cows are. This is creating a
> specialty product raised in domesticated animals. The article already
> mentioned that this is a good way to get these nutrients for people who
> don't like to eat fish.

What ever you need to do to convince yourself that it is okay to
exploit animals I guess.

rick etter

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
om...
> "Rubystars" > wrote in message

om>...
> > "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > "Rubystars" > wrote in message

> > . com>...

cows

> > > When was the last time you saw a cow munching seafood? Never. Why
> > > because cows are VEGETARIAN. If people want the benefits of eating
> > > fish, then eat fish, don't feed it to an animal that is a natural
> > > vegetarian. What's next feeding cows, cows. Oh wait they aleardy did
> > > that.

> > It doesn't matter what the natural diet of the cows are. This is

creating a
> > specialty product raised in domesticated animals. The article already
> > mentioned that this is a good way to get these nutrients for people who
> > don't like to eat fish.
> >

> What ever you need to do to convince yourself that it is okay to
> exploit animals I guess.

====================
ROTFLMAO What hypocrisy! Here you are doing just that for no more reason
than your entertainment! You really are too easy....

katie

"Ron" > wrote in message
om...
> "Rubystars" > wrote in message

om>...
> > "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > "Rubystars" > wrote in message

> > . com>...

cows

> > > When was the last time you saw a cow munching seafood? Never. Why
> > > because cows are VEGETARIAN. If people want the benefits of eating
> > > fish, then eat fish, don't feed it to an animal that is a natural
> > > vegetarian. What's next feeding cows, cows. Oh wait they aleardy did
> > > that.

> > It doesn't matter what the natural diet of the cows are. This is

creating a
> > specialty product raised in domesticated animals. The article already
> > mentioned that this is a good way to get these nutrients for people who
> > don't like to eat fish.
> >
> > -Rubystars

> What a crock of shit!
>
> The article also mentions canola oil as a source for the omegas. Why
> not just consume that?
>
> Jeez.

or they could feed em' flax seeds, like they do with chickens. at least
that would be in their food group. i mean, it just doesn't seem like a good
idea to mess with cows' nutrition - they have all those snazzy stomachs for
a reason.

Rubystars

"Ron" > wrote in message
<snip>
> > It doesn't matter what the natural diet of the cows are. This is

creating a
> > specialty product raised in domesticated animals. The article already
> > mentioned that this is a good way to get these nutrients for people who
> > don't like to eat fish.
> >
> > -Rubystars

> What a crock of shit!

Sorry you feel that way.

> The article also mentions canola oil as a source for the omegas. Why
> not just consume that?
>
> Jeez.

Because people are already drinking milk, usually on a daily basis. They may
just not be eating fish. I don't particularly like straight milk, so if they
could come out with fish fillets that have the nutrition of milk, I'd be
happy. *L* Good thing I like yogurt, huh?

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
om...
> "Rubystars" > wrote in message

om>...
> > "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > "Rubystars" > wrote in message

> > . com>...

cows

> > > When was the last time you saw a cow munching seafood? Never. Why
> > > because cows are VEGETARIAN. If people want the benefits of eating
> > > fish, then eat fish, don't feed it to an animal that is a natural
> > > vegetarian. What's next feeding cows, cows. Oh wait they aleardy did
> > > that.

> > It doesn't matter what the natural diet of the cows are. This is

creating a
> > specialty product raised in domesticated animals. The article already
> > mentioned that this is a good way to get these nutrients for people who
> > don't like to eat fish.
> >

> What ever you need to do to convince yourself that it is okay to
> exploit animals I guess.

Nothing I do will make any difference anyway. Not any real measurable
difference. I'm one out of several billion people on this planet.

At any rate, I think this product is aimed toward people who already drink
milk on a regular basis.

-Rubystars

Jennifer

"Rubystars" > wrote in message om>...
> "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Rubystars" > wrote in message

> om>...
> > > "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> > > om...

> . com>...

> cows

> > > It doesn't matter what the natural diet of the cows are. This is

> creating a
> > > specialty product raised in domesticated animals. The article already
> > > mentioned that this is a good way to get these nutrients for people who
> > > don't like to eat fish.
> > >

> > What ever you need to do to convince yourself that it is okay to
> > exploit animals I guess.

> Nothing I do will make any difference anyway. Not any real measurable
> difference. I'm one out of several billion people on this planet.
>
> At any rate, I think this product is aimed toward people who already drink
> milk on a regular basis.
>
> -Rubystars

What a ****ing cop out. If everyone felt the way you did, that you
can not make a difference then nothing would ever change. It's easier
to sit at home behind your safe computer than to try to make a change
in status quo. You are exactly what is wrong with the world. It is
filled with lazy people who don't give a damn.

Rubystars

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
<snip>
> > Nothing I do will make any difference anyway. Not any real measurable
> > difference. I'm one out of several billion people on this planet.
> >
> > At any rate, I think this product is aimed toward people who already

drink
> > milk on a regular basis.
> >
> > -Rubystars

> What a ****ing cop out.

You're too worked up over it. Sit down and have nice warm glass of
fish-infused milk, then take a nap.

> If everyone felt the way you did, that you
> can not make a difference then nothing would ever change.

I do some things, don't do others. Like everyone else.

> It's easier
> to sit at home behind your safe computer than to try to make a change
> in status quo.

<Rick impersonation> You're killing animals through using your computer, so
you don't care about animals at all, do you killer? </impersonation>

hehehe Hey this is pretty fun! I might have to do that more often. Oh
Lord, people are going to think I'm a troll now. hehehe

>You are exactly what is wrong with the world.

Yeah, it's much better to kill girl children like the Hindu vegetarians do
rather than kill cows, right?

> It is
> filled with lazy people who don't give a damn.

Trying to eat ethically is like voting. You can do it, but it may not make a
damn bit of difference either way.

-Rubystars

usual suspect

Jennifer wrote:
<...>
>>Nothing I do will make any difference anyway. Not any real measurable
>>difference. I'm one out of several billion people on this planet.
>>
>>At any rate, I think this product is aimed toward people who already drink
>>milk on a regular basis.

> What a ****ing cop out.

No, it isn't. It's realistic.

> If everyone felt the way you did, that you
> can not make a difference then nothing would ever change.

No, stuff would still change if enough people wanted it. Rubystars is right on
this one. You should choose your battles wisely.

> It's easier
> to sit at home behind your safe computer than to try to make a change
> in status quo.

What's wrong with the status quo?

> You are exactly what is wrong with the world.

No, she isn't. You are, you judgmental bitty.

> It is
> filled with lazy people who don't give a damn.

Whether she gives a damn or not about this particular issue is irrelevant. Why
should she reflexively adopt every cause that YOU do? What's wrong with only
applying oneself to one or two causes one thinks are worth the effort? Why
should people spread themselves thin on every little issue that comes up each day?

Jennifer

"Rubystars" > wrote in message . com>...
> "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> <snip>
> > > Nothing I do will make any difference anyway. Not any real measurable
> > > difference. I'm one out of several billion people on this planet.
> > >
> > > At any rate, I think this product is aimed toward people who already

> drink
> > > milk on a regular basis.
> > >
> > > -Rubystars

> > What a ****ing cop out.

> You're too worked up over it. Sit down and have nice warm glass of
> fish-infused milk, then take a nap.
>
> > If everyone felt the way you did, that you
> > can not make a difference then nothing would ever change.

> I do some things, don't do others. Like everyone else.
>
> > It's easier
> > to sit at home behind your safe computer than to try to make a change
> > in status quo.

> <Rick impersonation> You're killing animals through using your computer, so
> you don't care about animals at all, do you killer? </impersonation>
>
> hehehe Hey this is pretty fun! I might have to do that more often. Oh
> Lord, people are going to think I'm a troll now. hehehe
>
> >You are exactly what is wrong with the world.

> Yeah, it's much better to kill girl children like the Hindu vegetarians do
> rather than kill cows, right?
>
> > It is
> > filled with lazy people who don't give a damn.

> Trying to eat ethically is like voting. You can do it, but it may not make a
> damn bit of difference either way.
>
> -Rubystars

Tell that to Al Gore. I don't think he would agree with you