Ron

Default Welcome Back pEtter

..

So,...Mr. cow food expert....exactly how many acres of grassland does
it take to raise your grassfed burgers from the time they are born
until you slaughter them?

Give us the acreage for ONE beef animal that you claim is raised only
on grass.

..
rick etter

"Ron" > wrote in message
om...
> .
>

> So,...Mr. cow food expert....exactly how many acres of grassland does
> it take to raise your grassfed burgers from the time they are born
> until you slaughter them?

==================
Now you're delusional, again. I don't slaughter any animals. Just like you
I let others do the killing. Unlike you, I don't hypocritically pretend
that the deaths don't occur, or matter. Why do you pretend that killing
one cow is somehow more immoral than killing 100, 200, 2000 other mammals,
fish, reptiles, birds, or amphibians in its place?

> Give us the acreage for ONE beef animal that you claim is raised only
> on grass.

======================
Can't tell you that. At any one time there are only around a dozen or so
cows. There are several fields and pastures totally well over 100 acres.
Unlike the mono-culture crop production you support, that causes massive
problems for animals and the environment, these aren't rasised to the
numbers that desturb the natural habitat. Your veggies do that each
season, killer. Too bad you've banned your brains to the point you can't
understand anything but your lys and delusions. What a fool....

> .

usual suspect

rick etter wrote:
>So,...Mr. cow food expert....exactly how many acres of grassland does
>>it take to raise your grassfed burgers from the time they are born
>>until you slaughter them?

> ==================
> Now you're delusional, again. I don't slaughter any animals. Just like you
> I let others do the killing. Unlike you, I don't hypocritically pretend
> that the deaths don't occur, or matter. Why do you pretend that killing
> one cow is somehow more immoral than killing 100, 200, 2000 other mammals,
> fish, reptiles, birds, or amphibians in its place?
>

>> Give us the acreage for ONE beef animal that you claim is raised only
>>on grass.

> ======================
> Can't tell you that. At any one time there are only around a dozen or so
> cows. There are several fields and pastures totally well over 100 acres.

The questions that moron asked you involve too many variables to give a firm
answer for every part of the country. Chief among those issues is grass density
and quality of the pastures in which steers are raised; it also varies by the
amount of grazing allowed per acre, time of year, and other factors relating to
the quality of the grasses.

I offer the following only as anecdotal information, but it is from a
veterinarian who raises grass-fed beef. If the moron chooses to inquire further,
he should ask a county extension agent or contact an agricultural science
professor who specializes in alternative beef management.

The animals in the breeding herd and in the yearling herd rotate through
these pastures at a rate which depends on how fast the grass is growing.
If the grass is growing fast you rotate faster, it the grass is growing
slow you rotate more slowly. The animals in the beef program are on
finishing pastures and rotate daily. You see, we truly are grass farmers
who simply use our cattle to harvest our crop of green grass.

The open range idea is romantic in what it conjures in our minds.
However, when the "range" was not traversed with fences and private
property the animals rotated themselves as they migrated across the
land. Open range today takes on a different meaning to grass farmers. It
is the idea of best utilizing the resources of a particular environment
to best suit the entire system of land, water, minerals, animals, and
the stewards who shepherd it. This is at the basis of what sustainable
agriculture should consider. That "open range" out west may take waste
amounts of acreage to sustain the herd. It may take 50-60 acres to
support one cow. In Missouri we think in terms of one cow per 3 acres.

I would like to continue thoughts about rotational grazing later. But, I
need to be off and working.

Dr. Patricia Whisnant
Veterinarian and grass farmer
http://www.americangrassfedbeef.com/...fedbeeflog.asp

> Unlike the mono-culture crop production you support, that causes massive
> problems for animals and the environment, these aren't rasised to the
> numbers that desturb the natural habitat. Your veggies do that each
> season, killer. Too bad you've banned your brains to the point you can't
> understand anything but your lys and delusions. What a fool....

Ron

"rick etter" > wrote in message >...
> "Ron" > wrote in message
> om...
> > .
> >

> > So,...Mr. cow food expert....exactly how many acres of grassland does
> > it take to raise your grassfed burgers from the time they are born
> > until you slaughter them?

> ==================
> Now you're delusional, again. I don't slaughter any animals. Just like you
> I let others do the killing. Unlike you, I don't hypocritically pretend
> that the deaths don't occur, or matter. Why do you pretend that killing
> one cow is somehow more immoral than killing 100, 200, 2000 other mammals,
> fish, reptiles, birds, or amphibians in its place?

Surely you can find out by asking.

> > Give us the acreage for ONE beef animal that you claim is raised only
> > on grass.

> ======================
> Can't tell you that. At any one time there are only around a dozen or so
> cows. There are several fields and pastures totally well over 100 acres.
> Unlike the mono-culture crop production you support, that causes massive
> problems for animals and the environment, these aren't rasised to the
> numbers that desturb the natural habitat. Your veggies do that each
> season, killer. Too bad you've banned your brains to the point you can't
> understand anything but your lys and delusions. What a fool....

Surely you could ask.

> > .

rick etter

"Ron" > wrote in message
om...
> "rick etter" > wrote in message

> > "Ron" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > .
> > >

> > > So,...Mr. cow food expert....exactly how many acres of grassland does
> > > it take to raise your grassfed burgers from the time they are born
> > > until you slaughter them?

> > ==================
> > Now you're delusional, again. I don't slaughter any animals. Just like

you
> > I let others do the killing. Unlike you, I don't hypocritically pretend
> > that the deaths don't occur, or matter. Why do you pretend that

killing
> > one cow is somehow more immoral than killing 100, 200, 2000 other

mammals,
> > fish, reptiles, birds, or amphibians in its place?
> >

> Surely you can find out by asking.

=================
I just did fool. You failed to answer, yet again...

> > > Give us the acreage for ONE beef animal that you claim is raised only
> > > on grass.

> > ======================
> > Can't tell you that. At any one time there are only around a dozen or

so
> > cows. There are several fields and pastures totally well over 100

acres.
> > Unlike the mono-culture crop production you support, that causes massive
> > problems for animals and the environment, these aren't rasised to the
> > numbers that desturb the natural habitat. Your veggies do that each
> > season, killer. Too bad you've banned your brains to the point you

can't
> > understand anything but your lys and delusions. What a fool....
> >

> Surely you could ask.
>

> > > .

Ron

"rick etter" > wrote in message >...
> "Ron" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "rick etter" > wrote in message

> > > "Ron" > wrote in message
> > > om...

> > > ==================
> > > Now you're delusional, again. I don't slaughter any animals. Just like

> you
> > > I let others do the killing. Unlike you, I don't hypocritically pretend
> > > that the deaths don't occur, or matter. Why do you pretend that

> killing
> > > one cow is somehow more immoral than killing 100, 200, 2000 other

> mammals,
> > > fish, reptiles, birds, or amphibians in its place?
> > >

> > Surely you can find out by asking.

> =================
> I just did fool. You failed to answer, yet again...

Come now ~Mr.~ pEtter, you must surely know the answers to the number
of acres of pasture required to raise the burgers you eat. You claimed
they are grass fed only. No crops.

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 21:17:53 GMT, usual suspect > wrote:

>rick etter wrote:
>>So,...Mr. cow food expert....exactly how many acres of grassland does
>>>it take to raise your grassfed burgers from the time they are born
>>>until you slaughter them?

>> ==================
>> Now you're delusional, again. I don't slaughter any animals. Just like you
>> I let others do the killing. Unlike you, I don't hypocritically pretend
>> that the deaths don't occur, or matter. Why do you pretend that killing
>> one cow is somehow more immoral than killing 100, 200, 2000 other mammals,
>> fish, reptiles, birds, or amphibians in its place?
>>

>>> Give us the acreage for ONE beef animal that you claim is raised only
>>>on grass.

>> ======================
>> Can't tell you that. At any one time there are only around a dozen or so
>> cows. There are several fields and pastures totally well over 100 acres.

>The questions that moron asked you involve too many variables to give a firm
>answer for every part of the country. Chief among those issues is grass density
>and quality of the pastures in which steers are raised; it also varies by the
>amount of grazing allowed per acre, time of year, and other factors relating to
>the quality of the grasses.
>
>I offer the following only as anecdotal information, but it is from a
>veterinarian who raises grass-fed beef. If the moron chooses to inquire further,
>he should ask a county extension agent or contact an agricultural science
>professor who specializes in alternative beef management.
>
> The animals in the breeding herd and in the yearling herd rotate through
> these pastures at a rate which depends on how fast the grass is growing.
> If the grass is growing fast you rotate faster, it the grass is growing
> slow you rotate more slowly.

Why? If the grass is growing slowly, it seems that you'd want to move them off
it faster so they don't eat it down too much. If it's growing faster, they could stay
on it longer before that happened.

On 6 Apr 2004 13:31:40 -0700, (Ron) wrote:

>.
>

>So,...Mr. cow food expert....exactly how many acres of grassland does
>it take to raise your grassfed burgers from the time they are born
>until you slaughter them?
>
> Give us the acreage for ONE beef animal that you claim is raised only
>on grass.

Here's some info that may or may not have meaning to you:
Environmental Benefits

Well-managed perennial pastures have several environmental
advantages over tilled land: they dramatically decrease soil
erosion potential. require minimal pesticides and fertilizers,
and decrease the amount of barnyard runoff.

Data from the Soil Conservation Service shows that in 1990, an
average of 4.8 tons of soil per acre was lost to erosion on
Wisconsin cropland and an average of 2.6 tons of soil per acre
was lost on Minnesota cropland. Converting erosion-prone land to
pasture is a good way to minimize this loss since perennial
pastures have an average soil loss of only 0.8 tons per acre. It
also helps in complying with the nationwide "T by 2000" legislation
whose goal is that erosion rates on all fields not exceed tolerable
limits ("T") by the year 2000. Decreasing erosion rates will preserve
the most fertile soil with higher water holding capacity for future
crop production. It will also protect our water quality.

High levels of nitrates and pesticides in our ground and surface waters
can cause human, livestock, and wildlife health problems. Pasturing has
several water quality advantages. It reduces the amount of nitrates and
pesticides which leach into our ground water and contaminate surface
waters. It also can reduce barnyard runoff which may destroy fish and
wildlife habitat by enriching surface waters with nitrogen and
phosphorous which promotes excessive aquatic plant growth (leading to
low oxygen levels in the water which suffocates most water life).

Wildlife Advantages

Many native grassland birds, such as upland sandpipers, bobolinks, and
meadowlarks, have experienced significant population declines within
the past 50 years. Natural inhabitants of the prairie, these birds
thrived in the extensive pastures which covered the state in the early
1900s. With the increased conversion of pasture to row crops and
frequently-mowed hay fields, their habitat is being disturbed and their
populations are now at risk.

Rotational grazing systems have the potential to reverse this decline
because the rested paddocks can provide undisturbed nesting habitat.
(However, converting existing under-grazed pasture into an intensive
rotational system where forage is used more efficiently may be
detrimental to wildlife.) Warm-season grass paddocks which aren't grazed
until late June provide especially good nesting habitat. Game birds, such
as pheasants, wild turkey, and quail also benefit from pastures, as do
bluebirds whose favorite nesting sites are fenceposts. The wildlife
benefits of rotational grazing will be greatest in those instances where
cropland is converted to pasture since grassland, despite being grazed,
provides greater nesting opportunity than cropland.

Pesticides can be very damaging to wildlife. though often short lived in
the environment, some insecticides are toxic to birds and mammals
(including humans). Not only do they kill the target pest but many kill a
wide range of insects, including predatory insects that could help prevent
future pest out breaks. Insecticides in surface waters may kill aquatic
invertebrates (food for fish, shorebirds, and water fowl.) Herbicides can
also be toxic to animals and may stunt or kill non-target vegetation which
may serve as wildlife habitat.

http://www.forages.css.orst.edu/Topi...s/MIG/Why.html
More than 40 bird species breed in Wisconsin's hayfields, prairies
and pastures. From 1960 to 1990, populations of birds such as
meadowlarks, savannah sparrows, upland sandpipers and bobolinks
experienced the steepest decline of any group of birds in North
America. Some of the decline in the Midwest can be traced to farmers
who converted grasslands to corn and soybean fields. But the recent
widespread adoption of rotational grazing in America's Dairyland is
giving Wisconsin grassland birds a second chance. With rotational
grazing, pastures are divided into paddocks and graziers let cows graze
one paddock at a time for two days or less before moving them to a
fresh paddock. A team of agronomists and wildlife biologists with the
UW-Madison and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has
evaluated techniques that can favor grassland birds on these pastures.
The researchers have identified bird-friendly practices that graziers
can implement at little or no expense. The scientists found, for
example, that moving cows from paddock to paddock frequently, leaving
more grass after grazing a paddock or protecting a couple of paddocks
during the birds' nesting season all increase the nesting success of
grassland birds on these pastures.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/200...THDY2.UWI.html

Ron

"rick etter" > wrote in message >...
> "Ron" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "rick etter" > wrote in message

> > > "Ron" > wrote in message
> > > om...

> > > ==================
> > > Now you're delusional, again. I don't slaughter any animals. Just like

> you
> > > I let others do the killing. Unlike you, I don't hypocritically pretend
> > > that the deaths don't occur, or matter. Why do you pretend that

> killing
> > > one cow is somehow more immoral than killing 100, 200, 2000 other

> mammals,
> > > fish, reptiles, birds, or amphibians in its place?
> > >

> > Surely you can find out by asking.

> =================

> I just did fool. You failed to answer, yet again...

Mr.Etter, it is your statement that you only eat beef that was raised
entirely on grass and requires no crops be grown to produce that beef.

You also said you buy direct from the producer. It should be easy for
you next time you buy a load of murderburgers to ask the producer how
many acres per animal are required to raise it from suckling calf to
slaughter weight.

> > > ======================
> > > Can't tell you that. At any one time there are only around a dozen or

> so
> > > cows. There are several fields and pastures totally well over 100

> acres.
> > > Unlike the mono-culture crop production you support, that causes massive
> > > problems for animals and the environment, these aren't rasised to the
> > > numbers that desturb the natural habitat. Your veggies do that each
> > > season, killer. Too bad you've banned your brains to the point you

> can't
> > > understand anything but your lys and delusions. What a fool....
> > >

> > Surely you could ask.

I'm back Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 03-04-2012 11:03 PM
I'm back Steve B[_13_] Barbecue 0 19-03-2012 12:18 AM
What is the tea you always come back to? Milo Tea 8 04-01-2008 09:25 AM
I'm back! cooksalot Preserving 2 23-08-2005 06:36 PM