katie

Default alright, spill!

what's everyone's absolute, all-time FAVE vegan recipe(s)? if you can post
it without any copyright guilt, please do so!

Rubystars

"katie" > wrote in message
ers.com...
> what's everyone's absolute, all-time FAVE vegan recipe(s)? if you can

post
> it without any copyright guilt, please do so!

This is something I came up with a while back, though undoubtedly other
people have had similar things.

You need:

1 can of lite coconut milk (I use taste of thai brand)
1 box plain cous cous (Near East is a good brand)
1 can of peaches
Brown sugar (light).

Cook any quantity of cous cous you want with the coconut milk as the liquid.
Add brown sugar to taste and add in as many of the peaches as you want (it's
better if the peaches are drained first).

Stir.

Yum.

-Rubystars

C. James Strutz

"katie" > wrote in message
ers.com...
> what's everyone's absolute, all-time FAVE vegan recipe(s)? if you

can post
> it without any copyright guilt, please do so!

I'd have to say that rice & beans are my favorite vegan staple. I made
this for dinner last night.

1 cup brown rice
2 cups vegetable stock
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 poblano pepper, chopped
1 can pinto beans, drained
salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
olive oil for sautéing

Sauté the onions and peppers until they begin to sweat. Add the garlic
and the rice and continue to sauté. Add the vegetable stock and the
beans, season. Reduce heat and cover until rice is done, about 40
minutes.

I make this different every time. Sometimes I'll put tomatoes in it,
or different kinds of beans, or different seasonings, etc. It's great
as a filling for tortillas too.

katie

"katie" > wrote in message
ers.com...
> what's everyone's absolute, all-time FAVE vegan recipe(s)? if you can

post
> it without any copyright guilt, please do so!

for stuff that i've made without a recipe, my all-time fave, i think, is
spinach-tofu-squash thinger. i whipped it up one night after a looooooooong
day, and man, it's really good comfort food.
it goes a little something like this:

bag o' spinach
butternut squash
brick o' tofu
maple syrup
earth balance
(garlic is optional)

steam the spinach & squash somehow, (in the micro or on the stove or one of
each is what i usually go for)
drain tofu and slice into smallish rectangles. fry in earth balance until
nice n' golden & a little crispy, (with the clove of garlic if you're going
for that), and then add the spinach and mashed up scooped out squash to the
frying pan. drizzle with maple syrup and continue to cook a little to get
it all good n' stirred up. just make it as earth balancey and mapley as you
want, and when it's all good and mixed, voila le yum.

Cap'n Stinky

"katie" > wrote in message gers.com>...
> what's everyone's absolute, all-time FAVE vegan recipe(s)? if you can post
> it without any copyright guilt, please do so!

Chocolate Almond Midnight - From the Millennium Cookbook
Makes one 8-inch cake: serves 12

Cashew Crust
1/3 cup unsalted cashew nuts
3 tbsp sucanat or unrefined sugar
3 tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/8 tsp sea salt

Chocolate Mousse
2 cups (16ozsa) non-dairy chocolate chips
24.6 ozs (2 boxes) extra firm silken tofu
3/4 cup sucanat or unrefined sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt

Maple Almond Praline
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup slivered almonds

Method
To make the Cashew Crust: preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly oil an
8-inch round springform or false bottom pan. In a food processor,
grind the cashews until they resemble fine meal. Add the sugar, oil
and vanilla. Process again until well combined. In a small bowl, stir
the flour and salt together. Add the cashew mixture and mix into the
flour, beginning with a spatula and ending with your hands. Press the
crust into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light
brown and dry.

To make the Chocolate Mousse: In a double boiler over barely simmering
water, melt the chocolate chips. In a blender or food processor
combine the tofu, sugar, vanilla and salt. Process, then add the
melted chocolate and blend for 2 minutes or until very smooth and
completely combined.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly oil the sides of the cake pan above
the pre-baked crust. Pour the mousse mixture into the pan and bake for
35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then run a paring knife around
the inside of the pan. Let the cake cool to the touch, refrigerate for
at least 2 hours before serving. Un-mold just before serving.

To make the praline: in a heavy bottomed saucepan, bring the maple
syrup to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Add the almonds and stir
constantly until the maple syrup has completely crystallized onto the
almonds and the almonds appear dry.
Pour the almonds onto a baking sheet and let cool. Store in an
airtight container.

To serve, cut the cake into 12 pieces. For each serving, pool
raspberry sauce (recipe below) on a plate and top with a slice of
cake. Top with 1 tbsp maple almond praline and garnish with fresh
fruit, sprinkled cocoa powder and a sprig of fresh mint leaves.

Raspberry Sauce
2 cups fresh or 10oz unsweetened frozen raspberries
1/4 cup sucanat or unrefined sugar

Method
In a blender, combine the raspberries and sugar, then blend to a
smooth sauce. Strain the sauce through a fine meshed sieve. Store in
an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.