tux

Default best vegan cookbook

Hi,

I am looking for a good Vegan cookbook which would use simple and
cheap ingredients which can be found in US stores and whose recepies
are easy and fast to cook.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

TW
Rubystars

"tux" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a good Vegan cookbook which would use simple and
> cheap ingredients which can be found in US stores and whose recepies
> are easy and fast to cook.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> TW

Someone posted this site yesterday:

http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/

I'm going to get getting the stuff at the store today for the cauliflower
soup, which fits the description you mentioned.

I noticed too that most vegan sites and cook books have a bunch of strange
ingredients or things that can't be bought at a regular grocery store, like
Ener G egg replacer, tempeh, etc. You could also look up cook books that
have a focus on vegetables (but aren't necessarily strictly veg) like "5 a
day the better health cook book" by Dr. Elizabeth Pivonka and Barbara Berry.
Many of the recipes in that book are vegan and many of the ones that aren't
could be easily converted to be either vegetarian or vegan.

-Rubystars

John Manning

In article >, tux
> wrote:

> a good Vegan cookbook which would use simple and
> cheap ingredients which can be found in US stores and whose recepies
> are easy and fast to cook.

The cookbooks published by Vegetarian Resource Group should meet your
requirements (especially "Conveniently Vegan").

http://www.vrg.org/catalog/

--
-John
http://electronworks.com/recipes/
katie

"tux" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a good Vegan cookbook which would use simple and
> cheap ingredients which can be found in US stores and whose recepies
> are easy and fast to cook.
>
> Any ideas?

i really like the 'how it all vegan' cookbook. one of the nice things about
it is that anything 'weird' that they ask for, pretty much, they provide a
recipe for it somewhere else in the book. so you don't have to go out and
spend 6$ for a jar of vegenaise when it calls for vegan mayo, you can just
whip some up. and there are also some neato household, non-food recipes in
it. but yeah, if you don't want to spend any money at all, i'd recommend
www.vegsource.com, since it has a searchable database of 10 000 recipes, and
even better, a recipe board with a chef moderating it, so you can ask for
any recipe at all, with any restrictions, and she'll have a bunch for you.
and the ones of hers that i've tried have been really yummy and easy.

> Thanks,
>
> TW

Pen

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:25:34 GMT, "katie"
> wrote:

>"tux" > wrote in message
. com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for a good Vegan cookbook which would use simple and
>> cheap ingredients which can be found in US stores and whose recepies
>> are easy and fast to cook.
>>
>> Any ideas?

>i really like the 'how it all vegan' cookbook. one of the nice things about
>it is that anything 'weird' that they ask for, pretty much, they provide a
>recipe for it somewhere else in the book. so you don't have to go out and
>spend 6$ for a jar of vegenaise when it calls for vegan mayo, you can just
>whip some up. and there are also some neato household, non-food recipes in
>it. but yeah, if you don't want to spend any money at all, i'd recommend
>www.vegsource.com, since it has a searchable database of 10 000 recipes, and
>even better, a recipe board with a chef moderating it, so you can ask for
>any recipe at all, with any restrictions, and she'll have a bunch for you.
>and the ones of hers that i've tried have been really yummy and easy.

I second this ... it is a book I use often and their new book The
Garden of Vegan is also excellent and it has an index! which the
first one did not ... my copy of The Everyday Vegan by Dreena Burton
is also looking quite battered due to use ... the recipes are clear
with most ingredients easy available if not already in your cupboards.

Pen

katie

"Pen" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:25:34 GMT, "katie"
> > wrote:
>
> >"tux" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am looking for a good Vegan cookbook which would use simple and
> >> cheap ingredients which can be found in US stores and whose recepies
> >> are easy and fast to cook.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?

> >i really like the 'how it all vegan' cookbook. one of the nice things

about
> >it is that anything 'weird' that they ask for, pretty much, they provide

> >recipe for it somewhere else in the book. so you don't have to go out

and
> >spend 6$ for a jar of vegenaise when it calls for vegan mayo, you can

just
> >whip some up. and there are also some neato household, non-food recipes

in
> >it. but yeah, if you don't want to spend any money at all, i'd recommend
> >www.vegsource.com, since it has a searchable database of 10 000 recipes,

and
> >even better, a recipe board with a chef moderating it, so you can ask for
> >any recipe at all, with any restrictions, and she'll have a bunch for

you.
> >and the ones of hers that i've tried have been really yummy and easy.
> >>

> I second this ... it is a book I use often and their new book The
> Garden of Vegan is also excellent and it has an index!

ooo...i was wondering how the second cookbook was. i guess that i always
kindof think that if you have one cookbook by a certain author, any other
ones by the same folks will be really similar, so i don't tend to go for it.
but if you have them both and are digging it, i might put their new cookbook
on my xmas list () first, though, i'm keeping my eyes peeled for joanne
stepaniak's new cookbook, the ultimate uncheese. i figure i've lived for
almost 2 years without cheese, so i rarely miss it...but you know. i'd just
really like to be able to make a truly satisfying mac n' cheese for those
nostalgia + pms days () also, i'm overcoming my fear of nutritional yeast
cheese concoctions after a horrifying experiment involving vanilla
soymilk...*shudder*
anyhow, yeah, i've heard great things about her cookbooks, and apparently
there's a 'lemon teasecake' recipe that is to die for in one of em.' sounds
fab. so i'm going to snag that one if i can.
really though...i should stop spending so much money on cookbooks and
actually start intensively using the ones i have! geez louise! () have
any recipe recommendations for the 'how it all vegan?' so far i've only
made the fabulous french dressing (LOVE it!), some cheese sauce for mac n'
cheese (eeehhhh...), and a version of the potato salad rife with
substitutions, which didn't really agree with my system. but i'd love to
get more adventurous with food and try some other stuff. so yeah, any
faves?

which the
> first one did not ... my copy of The Everyday Vegan by Dreena Burton
> is also looking quite battered due to use ... the recipes are clear
> with most ingredients easy available if not already in your cupboards.
>
> Pen

DXer

The books by Dr. John McDougal and his wife Mary are very good vegan
cookbooks as well.
Not to mention he has some very good vegan and health type books as well.
Craig