katie

Default sweet potatoes

does anyone have any favourite ways of preparing sweet potatoes? i love
them, and they're so good for you, but i find that they're so dense that
just steaming them leaves them a little try and 'too much' to eat, you know?
i wonder if they'd be good pureed with applesauce, vegetable stock, or
soymilk...anyhow, anyone have any good recipes kicking around?

Rubystars

"katie" > wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
> does anyone have any favourite ways of preparing sweet potatoes? i love
> them, and they're so good for you, but i find that they're so dense that
> just steaming them leaves them a little try and 'too much' to eat, you

know?
> i wonder if they'd be good pureed with applesauce, vegetable stock, or
> soymilk...anyhow, anyone have any good recipes kicking around?

I like making sweet potatoes in the microwave, the same as regular potatoes.
They're good with brown sugar and I suppose, vegan margarine, though I
haven't eaten vegan margarine.

I've also heard of people slicing up sweet potatoes and frying them like
they would making french fries.

You can use them in recipes that call for butternut squash or pumpkin and
see how that turns out.

-Rubystars

ShantiP1

I like them mashed with some orange juice concentrate and a little cinnamon .
I do the same thing with squash except for the squash, I add a bit of brown
sugar anst instead of mashing the squash, I just bake it in halves and put the
juice, margerine, brown sugar and cinnamon in each piece, mix it up and bake.
I used to have a recipe with peeeled chunks of sweet potatoes with apples in a
casserole, but I don't have the recipe on hand. Maybe you can do an internet
search for sweet potato casseroles and find it.

Regards,
June
Sabine Blochberger

"katie" > wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
> does anyone have any favourite ways of preparing sweet potatoes? i love
> them, and they're so good for you, but i find that they're so dense that
> just steaming them leaves them a little try and 'too much' to eat, you

know?
> i wonder if they'd be good pureed with applesauce, vegetable stock, or
> soymilk...anyhow, anyone have any good recipes kicking around?

You can deep fry them like french fries, wrap in aluminium foil (unpeeled,
but cut in half, with a bit of salt) and bake in the oven. You can also bake
them without the foil, but don't peel them.

Cut into small cubes, you can put them on pizza or in "al forno" dishes.

If all fails, just make less quantity

Lorraine

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
. com...

> I've also heard of people slicing up sweet potatoes and frying them like
> they would making french fries.

I have to second the sweet potato fries. I've had them before, and they are
excellent, especially with ketchup. You could oven fry them to cut down on
the oil. Maybe add a little cayenne, black pepper or sea salt for extra
flavor.

Lorraine

C. James Strutz

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
. com...

> "katie" > wrote in message

.cable.rogers.com...
> > does anyone have any favourite ways of preparing sweet potatoes?

i love
> > them, and they're so good for you, but i find that they're so

dense that
> > just steaming them leaves them a little try and 'too much' to eat,

you
> know?
> > i wonder if they'd be good pureed with applesauce, vegetable

stock, or
> > soymilk...anyhow, anyone have any good recipes kicking around?

> I like making sweet potatoes in the microwave, the same as regular

potatoes.
> They're good with brown sugar and I suppose, vegan margarine, though

> haven't eaten vegan margarine.
>
> I've also heard of people slicing up sweet potatoes and frying them

like
> they would making french fries.
>
> You can use them in recipes that call for butternut squash or

pumpkin and
> see how that turns out.

I like to stuff baked sweet potatos with a spicy black bean mixture
(black beans, onions, hot peppers, cilantro, chili powder, etc.) and
topped with a little grated jack cheese.

Sometimes I spray sliced sweet potatos lightly with olive oil and
grill them with other vegetables.

Carey

"katie" > wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
> does anyone have any favourite ways of preparing sweet potatoes? i love
> them, and they're so good for you, but i find that they're so dense that
> just steaming them leaves them a little try and 'too much' to eat, you

know?
> i wonder if they'd be good pureed with applesauce, vegetable stock, or
> soymilk...anyhow, anyone have any good recipes kicking around?

I really like Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos (peel, cube, and boil the
taters and mash them; add browned onions seasoned with toasted ground cumin
and coriander; and then stir in some black beans); also like pureed sweet
potato soup seasoned with Thai curry and coconut milk; or mashed sweet
potatoes made creamy with coconut milk.

Carey

katie

Default YUM!

thanks for sharing your ideas, folks ()
they all sound so yummy! and that one with the bean burrito sounds like it
would make a great portable lunchfood.
mmmm...*hungry*

.cable.rogers.com...