MrFalafel

Default North African Vegetable Tagine

North African Vegetable Tagine

1 tbsp ground ginger
1-2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp turmeric
1 1/2 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1.1kg (2 1/2 lbs) root vegetables (carrot, parsnip, potatoes, squash)
cut into dice
1 lb onions
3 plump garlic cloves
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp olive oil
6oz ready to eat dried apricots
2oz sultanas or seedless raisins
3oz toasted flaked almonds
1 tbsp ketchup
1/2 pint tomato juice
1/2 pint vegetable stock
fresh coriander to garnish
500g (1lb 2oz) cous cous mixed with 1 litre (1 3/4 pints) boiling
vegetable stock and left to stand for 15 minutes.

Method
Preheat oven to 170C/Gas 3. put the spices into a small bowl and mix
them well. Put the vegetable cubes in a large mixing bowl and tip in
the spices. Evenly coat the vegetable cubes in the spice mixture. Your
hands are the best tools for this job. Peel and grate the onions, peel
and crush the garlic.
Put a casserole dish on a high heat and add a tbsp oil. When the oil
is hot, add a quarter of the vegetables and cook until the cubes are
slightly cooked on the underside. Turn the cubes over and cook until
all the sides are browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Cook the rest of the vegetable cubes in the same manner, adding oil
where necessary.
When all the vegetable cubes are cooked, turn the heat under the
casserole down to low and add a tbsp oil. Sauté onions and garlic
until soft but not browned, stirring often.

Return vegetables to the casserole and stir in the remaining
ingredients. Bring to the boil, cover and place the casserole dish in
the oven. Cook for an hour. (or, place all in a crock pot/slow cooker
for 3-4 hours). About 15 minutes before end, prepare couscous.

Serve tagine over cous cous garnished with fresh coriander
Rubystars

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> North African Vegetable Tagine
> 1.1kg (2 1/2 lbs) root vegetables (carrot, parsnip, potatoes, squash)

Since this is an African recipe, do you think manioc/yuca root/cassava would
work in this? Or is "North Africa" all
just like the Mid East?

There's always a big pile of manioc (labeled Yuca root) at HEB and its
pretty cheap. Apparently they don't
have a lot of customers for it. I'd like to buy some more because I liked it
last time but I don't
know of any recipes for it except grate, soak, drain, and steam.

-Rubystars

MrFalafel

"Rubystars" > wrote in message >...
> "MrFalafel" > wrote in message
> om...
> > North African Vegetable Tagine
> > 1.1kg (2 1/2 lbs) root vegetables (carrot, parsnip, potatoes, squash)

> Since this is an African recipe, do you think manioc/yuca root/cassava would
> work in this? Or is "North Africa" all
> just like the Mid East?
>
> There's always a big pile of manioc (labeled Yuca root) at HEB and its
> pretty cheap. Apparently they don't
> have a lot of customers for it. I'd like to buy some more because I liked it
> last time but I don't
> know of any recipes for it except grate, soak, drain, and steam.
>
> -Rubystars

Why not? I'd just be wary of the balance of starchy manioc to vegetable ratio.

Here's a a couple of unexciting manioc recipes to try.
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/mexican/yucca.html
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/african/steamed-j.html
Rubystars

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> "Rubystars" > wrote in message

> > "MrFalafel" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > North African Vegetable Tagine
> > > 1.1kg (2 1/2 lbs) root vegetables (carrot, parsnip, potatoes, squash)

> > Since this is an African recipe, do you think manioc/yuca root/cassava

would
> > work in this? Or is "North Africa" all
> > just like the Mid East?
> >
> > There's always a big pile of manioc (labeled Yuca root) at HEB and its
> > pretty cheap. Apparently they don't
> > have a lot of customers for it. I'd like to buy some more because I

liked it
> > last time but I don't
> > know of any recipes for it except grate, soak, drain, and steam.
> >
> > -Rubystars

> Why not? I'd just be wary of the balance of starchy manioc to vegetable

ratio.

> Here's a a couple of unexciting manioc recipes to try.
> http://www.ivu.org/recipes/mexican/yucca.html
> http://www.ivu.org/recipes/african/steamed-j.html

Thanks! Those look easy, and that's good for me

-Rubystars