WhansaMi

Default need reintroduction to vegetarianism

Hi everyone. I was a vegetarian 15-18 years ago. I'm thinking I'm going back
to it. However, one of the reasons that I went back to eating meat was that I
*craved* dense protein. So, a couple of questions for you:

1. What forms of protein do you recommend? When I became a vegetarian (oh so
long ago) I pretty much had cheese and tofu (which I could only find at the
food co-op, and had to be pressed, as it only came in the softest form!). Do
you have other recommendations today?

2. Similarly, what would you recommend as a substitute for meat in chilis? I
love chili, and make one pot a week. I used tempeh long ago, but didn't really
like it. Any other suggestions?

TIA!

Sheila
Allyb

Hi Sheila,

My local chain groceries here in florida carry several brands of "Veggie
Crumbles" which add good texture to chili, I just made some yesterday. It's
a bit softer, and in smaller bits than real meat, but a great substitute.
Btw, if my rural grocery stores carry it, you can get it anywhere : )
Usually in it's own vegetarian frozen section, but in some stores it's with
the frozen breakfast meats. Also, sometimes there's refrigerated stuff in
the produce department. I especially like Melissa's taco "meat", though it
may seem a little vinegary until you get used to it. Oh, when you try
veggie burgers, enjoy them for the veggie part, not the burger part.

Oh, one more thing, try riblets if you like bbq. They're made by
gardenburger, and are really yummy. If you like McRibs (heaven forbid)
you'll love these.

Stay away from the cheese! It's as bad for you as the meat (imho). There's
plenty of protein around without resorting to dairy.

Have fun, there's so much more out there than there used to be!

Allison

"WhansaMi" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I was a vegetarian 15-18 years ago. I'm thinking I'm going

back
> to it. However, one of the reasons that I went back to eating meat was

that I
> *craved* dense protein. So, a couple of questions for you:
>
> 1. What forms of protein do you recommend? When I became a vegetarian

(oh so
> long ago) I pretty much had cheese and tofu (which I could only find at

the
> food co-op, and had to be pressed, as it only came in the softest form!).

Do
> you have other recommendations today?
>
> 2. Similarly, what would you recommend as a substitute for meat in

chilis? I
> love chili, and make one pot a week. I used tempeh long ago, but didn't

really
> like it. Any other suggestions?
>
> TIA!
>
> Sheila

C. James Strutz

"WhansaMi" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I was a vegetarian 15-18 years ago. I'm thinking I'm going

back
> to it. However, one of the reasons that I went back to eating meat was

that I
> *craved* dense protein. So, a couple of questions for you:
>
> 1. What forms of protein do you recommend? When I became a vegetarian

(oh so
> long ago) I pretty much had cheese and tofu (which I could only find at

the
> food co-op, and had to be pressed, as it only came in the softest form!).

Do
> you have other recommendations today?

Protein is not a problem. You get plenty from other sources: grains,
legumes, soy, etc.

> 2. Similarly, what would you recommend as a substitute for meat in

chilis? I
> love chili, and make one pot a week. I used tempeh long ago, but didn't

really
> like it. Any other suggestions?

Why do you need a meat substitute? You will always be disappointed trying to
replicate your present chili with meat. Try something different. I make
great chili using several kinds of beans and corn. I like it way better than
the chili I used to make with meat or meat analogs.

WhansaMi

> However, one of the reasons that I went back to eating meat was
>that I
>> *craved* dense protein. So, a couple of questions for you:
>>
>> 1. What forms of protein do you recommend? When I became a vegetarian

>(oh so
>> long ago) I pretty much had cheese and tofu (which I could only find at

>the
>> food co-op, and had to be pressed, as it only came in the softest form!).

>Do
>> you have other recommendations today?

>Protein is not a problem. You get plenty from other sources: grains,
>legumes, soy, etc.

Yes, I understand that-- by the numbers-- I will not be nutritionally deficient
in protein. What I am saying is that, when I was a vegetarian I *craved* dense
protein. Was it because *my* body needed more than average? Was it because I
was used to the texture, sensation? I don't know. But, whatever the case, I
can tell you that I will not be successful in not eating meat again unless I
have something to get me through those times. So, given that, I am going to be
less concerned about what I *should* need, than what I need to do to be
successful.

Sheila

WhansaMi

>you can use tvp in place of the ground meat ... one can barely tell
>the a difference ... if you do a google search on tvp you will find
>scads of recipes ...

Thanks!

Sheila
WhansaMi

>My local chain groceries here in florida carry several brands of "Veggie
>Crumbles" which add good texture to chili, I just made some yesterday. It's
>a bit softer, and in smaller bits than real meat, but a great substitute.
>Btw, if my rural grocery stores carry it, you can get it anywhere : )
>Usually in it's own vegetarian frozen section, but in some stores it's with
>the frozen breakfast meats. Also, sometimes there's refrigerated stuff in
>the produce department. I especially like Melissa's taco "meat", though it
>may seem a little vinegary until you get used to it. Oh, when you try
>veggie burgers, enjoy them for the veggie part, not the burger part.
>
>Oh, one more thing, try riblets if you like bbq. They're made by
>gardenburger, and are really yummy. If you like McRibs (heaven forbid)
>you'll love these.
>
>Stay away from the cheese! It's as bad for you as the meat (imho). There's
>plenty of protein around without resorting to dairy.
>
>Have fun, there's so much more out there than there used to be!
>
>Allison

Thanks for the input. I'll look for them.

Sheila
WhansaMi

>> have something to get me through those times. So, given that, I am going

>to be
>> less concerned about what I *should* need, than what I need to do to be
>> successful.

>I don't know what to tell you except you will need will power to get you
>through the short term. You will have become acclimated in the long term.
>It's not difficult...just do it.

It didn't happen after three years before. I think I'd rather have a different
plan. :-)

Sheila
C. James Strutz

"WhansaMi" > wrote in message
> > However, one of the reasons that I went back to eating meat was
> >that I
> >> *craved* dense protein. So, a couple of questions for you:
> >>
> >> 1. What forms of protein do you recommend? When I became a vegetarian

> >(oh so
> >> long ago) I pretty much had cheese and tofu (which I could only find at

> >the
> >> food co-op, and had to be pressed, as it only came in the softest

form!).
> >Do
> >> you have other recommendations today?

> >Protein is not a problem. You get plenty from other sources: grains,
> >legumes, soy, etc.

> Yes, I understand that-- by the numbers-- I will not be nutritionally

deficient
> in protein. What I am saying is that, when I was a vegetarian I *craved*

dense
> protein. Was it because *my* body needed more than average? Was it

because I
> was used to the texture, sensation? I don't know. But, whatever the

case, I
> can tell you that I will not be successful in not eating meat again unless

> have something to get me through those times. So, given that, I am going

to be
> less concerned about what I *should* need, than what I need to do to be
> successful.

I don't know what to tell you except you will need will power to get you
through the short term. You will have become acclimated in the long term.
It's not difficult...just do it.

John Manning

In article >, WhansaMi
> wrote:

> when I was a vegetarian I *craved* dense protein.

I know exactly what you mean. TVP chunks do the trick for me. Try these
recipes:

http://www.veganpeace.com/Recipes/IndonesianSatay.htm
http://electronworks.com/recipes/Veg...ice_auVin.html

I buy my TVP mail-order from these guys:

http://www.healthy-eating.com/texturedsoy.html

--
-John
http://electronworks.com/recipes/

WhansaMi

>> when I was a vegetarian I *craved* dense protein.
>
>I know exactly what you mean. TVP chunks do the trick for me. Try these
>recipes:
>
>http://www.veganpeace.com/Recipes/IndonesianSatay.htm
>http://electronworks.com/recipes/Veg...ice_auVin.html
>
>I buy my TVP mail-order from these guys:
>
>http://www.healthy-eating.com/texturedsoy.html
>
>--
>-John
>http://electronworks.com/recipes/

Thanks, John. Exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

I also remember liking pressed tofu dipped in Dijon mustard. Quick and easy
source of dense protein. :-)

Thanks again.

Sheila
Benfez

"WhansaMi" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I was a vegetarian 15-18 years ago. I'm thinking I'm going

back
> to it. However, one of the reasons that I went back to eating meat was

that I
> *craved* dense protein. So, a couple of questions for you:
>
> 1. What forms of protein do you recommend? When I became a vegetarian

(oh so
> long ago) I pretty much had cheese and tofu (which I could only find at

the
> food co-op, and had to be pressed, as it only came in the softest form!).

Do
> you have other recommendations today?
>
> 2. Similarly, what would you recommend as a substitute for meat in

chilis? I
> love chili, and make one pot a week. I used tempeh long ago, but didn't

really
> like it. Any other suggestions?
>
> TIA!
>
> Sheila

If you want to be a veggie then embrace vegetarianism, do not try and make
faux dishes. Products like 'veggie burgers' and vegetarian chilli are for
veggies in denial. If you want a burger have a burger, if you want to be a
veggie have lettuce soup.

C. James Strutz

"Benfez" > wrote in message

> "WhansaMi" > wrote in message
> > Hi everyone. I was a vegetarian 15-18 years ago. I'm thinking I'm

going
> back
> > to it. However, one of the reasons that I went back to eating meat was

> that I
> > *craved* dense protein. So, a couple of questions for you:
> >
> > 1. What forms of protein do you recommend? When I became a vegetarian

> (oh so
> > long ago) I pretty much had cheese and tofu (which I could only find at

> the
> > food co-op, and had to be pressed, as it only came in the softest

form!).
> Do
> > you have other recommendations today?
> >
> > 2. Similarly, what would you recommend as a substitute for meat in

> chilis? I
> > love chili, and make one pot a week. I used tempeh long ago, but didn't

> really
> > like it. Any other suggestions?
> >
> > TIA!
> >
> > Sheila

> If you want to be a veggie then embrace vegetarianism, do not try and make
> faux dishes.

Faux dishes are great for people transitioning into vegetarianism.

> Products like 'veggie burgers' and vegetarian chilli are for
> veggies in denial. If you want a burger have a burger, if you want to be

> veggie have lettuce soup.

Well, veggie burgers are fine sandwiches in their own right. You don't have
to pretend they are beef burgers. I made chili the other night when the
temperature outside was in the single digits. You can see I don't include
anything that pretends to be beef.

Vegetarian Chili

2 cups maitake mushrooms, chopped
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 Qt canned tomatos, with liquid
1 onion, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 habanero pepper, finely chopped
1 Tbs garlic, minced
ancho chile powder, to taste (about 1/4 cup)
cumin powder, to taste (about 2 Tbs)
salt, pepper to taste

Saute the onions, celery, and bell peppers in a little olive oil until
translucent. Add the tomatos, garlic, mushrooms, and seasonings. Simmer over
medium heat until the tomatos have broken down some, about 15 minutes. Add
the beans, corn and habanero and continue to simmer until reduced by about
1/4, or sufficiently thickened. Adjust seasonings. Serve with optional
garnish of chopped scallions and grated jack cheese.

NBC on vegetarianism Steve[_13_] Vegan 0 09-09-2007 12:40 PM
Trying Vegetarianism TheSpillmonkey Vegan 7 12-10-2006 04:37 PM
History of Vegetarianism Andy Lau General Cooking 7 25-06-2005 09:28 PM
A NEW LOOK AT VEGETARIANISM nap/dpc Vegan 1 24-07-2004 10:02 PM
Ideas for my end to vegetarianism Mark Thorson General Cooking 73 21-03-2004 03:15 PM