FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   Is my soymilk going bad? I don't know how to tell. (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/18487-my-soymilk-going-bad.html)

Mike 29-12-2003 07:12 AM

Is my soymilk going bad? I don't know how to tell.

I purchased several containers of vanilla soy milk from the store
about a month ago. It's the kind where it doesn't have to be
refrigerated until it's been opened. The expiration date is for
something like July 2004. The first two boxes were fine but this third
one smells like eggs. I think it smells like hard-boiled eggs, I‘m not
really sure though. It also doesn't taste like anything where the
first two tasted like vanilla soy milk. The container had been stored
in my dining room where the temperature is probably around 68 degrees
Fahrenheit. Is this milk going bad?

Rubystars 29-12-2003 08:13 AM

Is my soymilk going bad? I don't know how to tell.

"Mike" > wrote in message
m...
> I purchased several containers of vanilla soy milk from the store
> about a month ago. It's the kind where it doesn't have to be
> refrigerated until it's been opened. The expiration date is for
> something like July 2004. The first two boxes were fine but this third
> one smells like eggs. I think it smells like hard-boiled eggs, I'm not
> really sure though. It also doesn't taste like anything where the
> first two tasted like vanilla soy milk. The container had been stored
> in my dining room where the temperature is probably around 68 degrees
> Fahrenheit. Is this milk going bad?

When in doubt, throw it out.

-Rubystars

MrFalafel 29-12-2003 10:01 AM

(Mike) wrote in message om>...
> I purchased several containers of vanilla soy milk from the store
> about a month ago. It's the kind where it doesn't have to be
> refrigerated until it's been opened. The expiration date is for
> something like July 2004. The first two boxes were fine but this third
> one smells like eggs. I think it smells like hard-boiled eggs, I?m not
> really sure though. It also doesn't taste like anything where the
> first two tasted like vanilla soy milk. The container had been stored
> in my dining room where the temperature is probably around 68 degrees
> Fahrenheit. Is this milk going bad?

The first rule in food safety is 'if in doubt, throw it out'.

Sabine Blochberger 29-12-2003 01:05 PM

Is my soymilk going bad? I don't know how to tell.

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Mike" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I purchased several containers of vanilla soy milk from the store
> > about a month ago. It's the kind where it doesn't have to be
> > refrigerated until it's been opened. The expiration date is for
> > something like July 2004. The first two boxes were fine but this third
> > one smells like eggs. I think it smells like hard-boiled eggs, I'm not
> > really sure though. It also doesn't taste like anything where the
> > first two tasted like vanilla soy milk. The container had been stored
> > in my dining room where the temperature is probably around 68 degrees
> > Fahrenheit. Is this milk going bad?

> When in doubt, throw it out.
>
> -Rubystars

I'd write to the manufacturer and ask for a refund. After all it's in the
valid date... And it gives them the chance to check their production...

I'm more like "if in doubt, complain" ;)

Michael Balarama 29-12-2003 07:16 PM

Is my soymilk going bad? I don't know how to tell.

"Mike" > wrote in message
m...
> I purchased several containers of vanilla soy milk from the store
> about a month ago. It's the kind where it doesn't have to be
> refrigerated until it's been opened. The expiration date is for
> something like July 2004. The first two boxes were fine but this third
> one smells like eggs. I think it smells like hard-boiled eggs, I'm not
> really sure though. It also doesn't taste like anything where the
> first two tasted like vanilla soy milk. The container had been stored
> in my dining room where the temperature is probably around 68 degrees
> Fahrenheit. Is this milk going bad?

that is the smell of soy milk gone bad-actually most things that smell
different and then like eggs have turned bad

Mike 31-12-2003 01:10 AM

Is my soymilk going bad? I don't know how to tell.

Ok, now some three days later it smells and tastes fine. Very odd.

Beach Runner 05-01-2004 03:53 AM

Is my soymilk going bad? I don't know how to tell.

Once it is opened, it goes bad quickly.

In general, you want to eat only very fresh foood, regardless of the date.

Mike wrote:

>Ok, now some three days later it smells and tastes fine. Very odd.

. com...