prasarita

Default dairy book

I am looking for a book that is an objective evaluation of the
nutritional value/lack of value of dairy products (in particular milk
and cheese)

I just read Milk: The Deadly Poison by Robert Cohen. I feel this book
lacks objectivity and that Mr Cohen gets too emotional and that I cannot
credibly use this book as a reference for non-vegs who ask about dairy
(I don't consume milk or cheese myself)

I am not looking for a discussion of other aspects such environmental
consequences or animal rights (I know about these). Just nutrition.

Anything out there?

Rubystars

"prasarita" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a book that is an objective evaluation of the
> nutritional value/lack of value of dairy products (in particular milk
> and cheese)
>
> I just read Milk: The Deadly Poison by Robert Cohen. I feel this book
> lacks objectivity and that Mr Cohen gets too emotional and that I cannot
> credibly use this book as a reference for non-vegs who ask about dairy
> (I don't consume milk or cheese myself)
>
> I am not looking for a discussion of other aspects such environmental
> consequences or animal rights (I know about these). Just nutrition.
>
> Anything out there?

From what I can gather the problem with ideologues is that they may speak
the truth the whole time, but when they do, they only speak the truths which
support them.

Milk: The Deadly Poison, may contain a lot of "truths", but those truths are
one sided. Without including the other evidence then those "truths" become
lies.

Of course, most ideologues also throw in some fabrications, so beware of
what you read.

This would also apply to pro-milk ideologues. They may only present pro-milk
information and nothing else.

I don't know if it's possible to get objective information about the
benefits as well as risks of milk any more than it is about soy. Both are
politically charged topics so any time you do research on either one, you're
going to get ideologues on both sides.

I'd say read both sides, check for any information which matches between the
two extremes and see if you can make something of that.

-Rubystars

Sabine Blochberger

"prasarita" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a book that is an objective evaluation of the
> nutritional value/lack of value of dairy products (in particular milk
> and cheese)
>
> I just read Milk: The Deadly Poison by Robert Cohen. I feel this book
> lacks objectivity and that Mr Cohen gets too emotional and that I cannot
> credibly use this book as a reference for non-vegs who ask about dairy
> (I don't consume milk or cheese myself)
>
> I am not looking for a discussion of other aspects such environmental
> consequences or animal rights (I know about these). Just nutrition.
>
> Anything out there?

Hm, I don't know any book, sorry.

But I'm getting more and more suspicious even of scientific results. This
milk "scandal" or whatever one would call it, had me surprised (to say the
least). I mean, what about the people in india that have based their
nutririon around cow milk for at least 2000 years now (the hindu)?

There must be some truth in their live stlye also. I do cosume milk and
cheese regularly, although I know about some dairy farms in Europe (I grew
up on one).

I guess we can only strife to be perfect beings

Good luck though.

Allyb

Have you read "The Food Revolution" by John Robbins? It is a more review of
why animal products in general are uneccesary for our consumption, and the
research and references are well documented, and often non-partisan. There
is a chapter entitled "Got BS?" about dairy products. Incidentally, Robbins
is the son of Baskin and Robbins, Robbins, and was naturally raised eating
lots of dairy and has converted.

Allison

"Sabine Blochberger" > wrote in message
> "prasarita" > wrote in message
> > I am looking for a book that is an objective evaluation of the
> > nutritional value/lack of value of dairy products (in particular milk
> > and cheese)
> >
> > I just read Milk: The Deadly Poison by Robert Cohen. I feel this book
> > lacks objectivity and that Mr Cohen gets too emotional and that I cannot
> > credibly use this book as a reference for non-vegs who ask about dairy
> > (I don't consume milk or cheese myself)
> >
> > I am not looking for a discussion of other aspects such environmental
> > consequences or animal rights (I know about these). Just nutrition.
> >
> > Anything out there?
> >

> Hm, I don't know any book, sorry.
>
> But I'm getting more and more suspicious even of scientific results. This
> milk "scandal" or whatever one would call it, had me surprised (to say the
> least). I mean, what about the people in india that have based their
> nutririon around cow milk for at least 2000 years now (the hindu)?
>
> There must be some truth in their live stlye also. I do cosume milk and
> cheese regularly, although I know about some dairy farms in Europe (I grew
> up on one).
>
> I guess we can only strife to be perfect beings
>
> Good luck though.

prasarita

Thanks for the replies.

The questions I have (and the answers to those questions) are very
quantifiable and thus could be answered in an objective way.

For example, it is popularly believed that one needs to consume
milk/cheese to avoid osteoporosis. However, newer thinking says dairy
can actually lead to osteoporosis, because a significant part of the
calcium in dairy is not in a form that the body can use, and so the body
obtains the calcium it needs from body parts (bones) in order to process
the fat and proteins in dairy products.

I would think the question of calcium being absorbable or not is
answerable through scientific inquiry.

I read Diet for a new America (by John Robbins) some time ago, but not
this other book you mention.

Ron

"Rubystars" > wrote in message > ...
> "prasarita" > wrote in message
> > I am looking for a book that is an objective evaluation of the
> > nutritional value/lack of value of dairy products (in particular milk
> > and cheese)
> >
> > I just read Milk: The Deadly Poison by Robert Cohen. I feel this book
> > lacks objectivity and that Mr Cohen gets too emotional and that I cannot
> > credibly use this book as a reference for non-vegs who ask about dairy
> > (I don't consume milk or cheese myself)
> >
> > I am not looking for a discussion of other aspects such environmental
> > consequences or animal rights (I know about these). Just nutrition.
> >
> > Anything out there?

> From what I can gather the problem with ideologues is that they may speak
> the truth the whole time, but when they do, they only speak the truths which
> support them.
>
> Milk: The Deadly Poison, may contain a lot of "truths", but those truths are
> one sided. Without including the other evidence then those "truths" become
> lies.

That is the *stupidest* statement I have ever read.

Of course the "truths are one sided"!!!

They are on the side of TRUTH !!!

> Of course, most ideologues also throw in some fabrications, so beware of
> what you read.
>
> This would also apply to pro-milk ideologues. They may only present pro-milk
> information and nothing else.
>
> I don't know if it's possible to get objective information about the
> benefits as well as risks of milk any more than it is about soy. Both are
> politically charged topics so any time you do research on either one, you're
> going to get ideologues on both sides.
>
> I'd say read both sides, check for any information which matches between the
> two extremes and see if you can make something of that.
>
> -Rubystars

Rubystars

"Ron" > wrote in message
> That is the *stupidest* statement I have ever read.
>
> Of course the "truths are one sided"!!!
>
> They are on the side of TRUTH !!!

Let me put this another way, because I don't think I was being very clear.

There's a chemical that does the following:

Death due to accidental inhalation, even in small quantities.
Prolonged exposure to the solid form causes severe tissue damage.
The gaseous form can cause severe burns.
Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.

All of this information is 100% true. What do you think this chemical is?

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"Rubystars" > wrote in message gy.com>...
> "Ron" > wrote in message
> > That is the *stupidest* statement I have ever read.
> >
> > Of course the "truths are one sided"!!!
> >
> > They are on the side of TRUTH !!!

> Let me put this another way, because I don't think I was being very clear.
>
> There's a chemical that does the following:
>
> Death due to accidental inhalation, even in small quantities.
> Prolonged exposure to the solid form causes severe tissue damage.
> The gaseous form can cause severe burns.
> Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
> Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
>
> All of this information is 100% true. What do you think this chemical is?
>
> -Rubystars

Well Ron? Have you figured it out yet? Maybe it'll help if I point out
this chemical is also a major component of acid rain and kills
thousands of people every year?

-Rubystars