Old 25-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Jonathan Ball

Default Sleazy PETA, gratuitously provocative and tasteless as ever

Vegetarian Virgin Mary Ad Riles Boston Church

BOSTON (Reuters) - The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of
Boston Tuesday demanded the removal of an animal rights
group's billboard advertisement depicting the Virgin
Mary cradling a lifeless chicken in her arms.

The ad by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
features the tagline "Go Vegetarian -- It's an
Immaculate Conception," a reference to teachings about
Mary's purity.

http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/n...40920000245585

Old 25-12-2003, 10:13 PM
Rubystars

"Jonathan Ball" wrote in message
link.net...
Vegetarian Virgin Mary Ad Riles Boston Church

BOSTON (Reuters) - The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of
Boston Tuesday demanded the removal of an animal rights
group's billboard advertisement depicting the Virgin
Mary cradling a lifeless chicken in her arms.

The ad by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
features the tagline "Go Vegetarian -- It's an
Immaculate Conception," a reference to teachings about
Mary's purity.

http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/n...40920000245585

Blasphemy. Disgusting.

-Rubystars

Old 25-12-2003, 10:55 PM
Beach Runner

Well, I think Peta does more to hurt the vegetarian/vegan movement
with acts like that. It's sad, but it makes vegetarians look like a
bunch of insensitive, insane, immature people. We should be projecting
the exact opposite message.

They should all sit down and read Dale Carnigies
"How to win friends and influence people". and help the vegan movement
a lot more.

Sad.

Rubystars wrote:

hlink.net...

Old 25-12-2003, 11:36 PM
Rubystars

"Beach Runner" wrote in message
m...
Well, I think Peta does more to hurt the vegetarian/vegan movement
with acts like that. It's sad, but it makes vegetarians look like a
bunch of insensitive, insane, immature people. We should be projecting
the exact opposite message.

I agree. Did you also see the "Mommy kills animals" comic from PETA with the
graphic picture of the skinned animal in it? It told kids to keep their dogs
and cats away from mommy because she might kill them.

They should all sit down and read Dale Carnigies
"How to win friends and influence people". and help the vegan movement
a lot more.

What exactly is the "vegan movement?" Most of what I see promoted by vegans
is the "pigs are equal to humans" stuff that PETA promotes. So I'm not sure
if there is a better side to it or not.

Sad.

Yeah it is sad. IMO they'd do much better to actually donate the money they
spend on those offensive ads to an animal shelter or animal sanctuary or
rescue group.

-Rubystars

Old 26-12-2003, 04:42 PM
frlpwr

Rubystars wrote:

"Jonathan Ball" wrote in message
link.net...
Vegetarian Virgin Mary Ad Riles Boston Church

BOSTON (Reuters) - The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of
Boston Tuesday demanded the removal of an animal rights
group's billboard advertisement depicting the Virgin
Mary cradling a lifeless chicken in her arms.

The ad by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
features the tagline "Go Vegetarian -- It's an
Immaculate Conception," a reference to teachings about
Mary's purity.

http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/n...40920000245585

Blasphemy. Disgusting.

What's "blasphemy"? The suggestion that the alleged Mother of God might
offer succor to a lowly chicken? What's "disgusting" is that Catholics
would take offense at the idea.

-Rubystars

Old 26-12-2003, 04:42 PM
frlpwr

Beach Runner wrote:

Well, I think Peta does more to hurt the vegetarian/vegan movement
with acts like that.

Why should it hurt the animal rights cause to remind Catholics that
chickens are also children of god? Or are they? Maybe the Catholic God
doesn't give a lowdown shit about chickens. Is that what you think?

It's sad, but it makes vegetarians look like a bunch of insensitive,

Why should Catholics be offended by the image of a Catholic icon in an
act of kindness to animals?

insane,

Is it "insane" to imagine that a Catholic representation of love and
nurture would love and nurture animals as well as people? If it is,
it's "insane" to consider Catholicism a loving religion.

immature people.

Hardly. PETA, once agian, proves itself a masterful manipulator of
media. Who else can garner international attention with a couple of
cheap billboards?

We should be projecting the exact opposite message.

Speak for yourself, please.

They should all sit down and read Dale Carnigies
"How to win friends and influence people". and help the vegan movement
a lot more.

Thanks for the laugh.

Old 26-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Dutch

"frlpwr" wrote in message ...
Rubystars wrote:

http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/n...40920000245585

Blasphemy. Disgusting.

What's "blasphemy"? The suggestion that the alleged Mother of God might
offer succor to a lowly chicken? What's "disgusting" is that Catholics
would take offense at the idea.

Roman Catholics are offended that someone can be even more self-righteous
than they are.

Here's the poster btw http://www.jesusveg.com/Marychickenbb.pdf

Old 26-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Rubystars

"Dutch" wrote in message
"frlpwr" wrote in message

Rubystars wrote:

http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/n...40920000245585

Blasphemy. Disgusting.

What's "blasphemy"? The suggestion that the alleged Mother of God might
offer succor to a lowly chicken? What's "disgusting" is that Catholics
would take offense at the idea.

Roman Catholics are offended that someone can be even more self-righteous
than they are.

Here's the poster btw http://www.jesusveg.com/Marychickenbb.pdf

I'm non-denom and I find that poster disgusting because it puts a chicken in
the place of Jesus Christ. Also that it uses the image of his mother
(someone all Christians should feel great respect for) to prop up a wacky
political philosophy.

-Rubystars

Old 27-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Bob Yates

frlpwr wrote:
What's "blasphemy"? The suggestion that the alleged Mother of God might
offer succor to a lowly chicken? What's "disgusting" is that Catholics
would take offense at the idea.

As you seem to be a non-native speaker of English, maybe a brief lesson
is in order.

The phase "offer succor" is used to mean offering support and comfort to
the living. Therefore it is impossible to "offer succor" to a dead
chicken, it would be possible to use the chicken to "offer succor" to
the living, maybe in a nice chicken soup. Maybe that is it! PETA wants
everyone to go out and make chicken soup, it is supposed to be good for
colds and other winter ails. Everyone go out and support PETA, here is
a Jewish recipe for Chicken Soup and Matzoth Balls. Remember kill a
chicken for PETA, it's what they want.

NANCY'S HOMEMADE JEWISH CHICKEN SOUP
Good for What Ails You

Ingredients

1 chicken, at least 3 - 4 pounds, cut up into 8 or 9 pieces
1 tablespoon of salt, more to taste
some pepper
bunch of parsley
bunch of dill
bunch of celery
1 - 2 pounds of carrots
1 - 2 pounds of onions
2 or 3 parsnips are nice too, but not required
lots of water

Directions

1. Put cleaned chicken in the bottom of a large pot.

2. Cover the chicken with water and add salt. Your pot should be less
than two-thirds full.

3. Bring to a full boil over high heat. Skim off any foam that may
develop, preferably into a fat skimmer. Throw out the foam, but put the
water back into the soup pot.

4. Add the pepper and all the parsley and dill. Also add the heart, the
leaves, and a few stalks of the celery.

5. Cut about of the carrots & onions into chunks. Also one of the
parsnips if you're using them.

6. Add the chopped carrots, etc.

7. Slowly boil all this for as long as you can bear it. Three hours is
ideal. Two will do. Add extra water as needed to keep the pot around
two-thirds full. If you have a fat skimmer, repeatedly skim off the fat
that comes to the top. If you don't, before the soup can be eaten,
you'll have to leave it in the refrigerator for quite some time
(probably over night), until the fat on top solidifies and can be lifted
off. If you have no room in the fridge, the trunk of your car will work,
assuming it's cold outside.

8. After the stock has cooked for two to three hours, turn off the heat.
Then carefully remove everything from the liquid, placing it all in a
colander that's sitting in a big bowl. The stock should go back into the
soup pot. The chicken, vegetables, and herbs should be left to cool for
about half an hour.

9. In the meantime, dice up lots of celery and the remaining carrots and
onions. Parsnips too, if you're using them. If you're going to make
matzoth balls, prepare and refrigerate them -- batter recipe follows.

10. Bring the soup back to a boil and add the chopped vegetables. Cook
for about half an hour more. At the same time, add pieces of chicken to
the pot, completely boning the chicken as you go along. (The vegetables
used in making the stock can be eaten as is, chopped and added to the
soup, put in your compost pile, or just thrown out.)

11. Check the seasoning. You'll probably want to add more salt and
pepper. Then add the matzoth balls and cover the pot.

12. Turn the matzoth balls occasionally, and cook for another 30 minutes
or so. The soup will be delicious its first day - and better the next.
Store any leftover soup in the refrigerator. I store it right in the
pot.

Matzoth Balls

These are delicious, not required, and certainly the least healthy part
of the soup. You can use noodles or rice instead. If you do go for the
matzoth balls, cook them separately and add to each bowl as you serve.
Since the soup is so thick, it's also fine without a starch.

Ingredients

4 tablespoons of melted chicken fat (or use vegetable oil to cut down on
cholesterol)
4 large eggs (I use jumbos)
1 cup matzoth meal (Add cup more if you like them hard; use cup less
for airy balls. We prefer the harder ones.)
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons of soup stock

Directions

1. Beat the eggs slightly and then add the fat. Mix well.

2. Add the matzoth meal and the salt. Mix well.

3. Add the soup stock. Again mix well.

4. Refrigerate for hour or more.

5. About 45 minutes before the soup is to be served, form little matzoth
balls and drop them into the pot of boiling water. You should end up
with about 8 to 10 balls. Keep the pot covered as the matzoth balls
cook, and turn them a couple of times.
Old 27-12-2003, 12:42 AM
frlpwr

Bob Yates wrote:

(snip)

The phase "offer succor" is used to mean offering support and comfort to the living. Therefore it is impossible to "offer succor" to a dead
chicken,

How do you know the chicken is dead? Maybe it's in a coma. Or, since
we're delving into the world of the miraculous, maybe the dead chicken
is about to become reanimated.

it would be possible to use the chicken to "offer succor" to
the living, maybe in a nice chicken soup.

Are you the same guy who nominated People Eating Tasty Animals as the
Joke of the Year? I'm beginning to think there is a close connection
between meat-eating and unoriginality.

Old 27-12-2003, 01:38 AM
Karl Hungus

"Beach Runner" wrote in message
m...

Well, I think Peta does more to hurt the vegetarian/vegan movement
with acts like that. It's sad, but it makes vegetarians look like a
bunch of insensitive, insane, immature people. We should be projecting
the exact opposite message.

They should all sit down and read Dale Carnigies
"How to win friends and influence people". and help the vegan movement
a lot more.

Groups like PETA would like to use the force of law--the point of a gun, in
other words--to force us all to acquiesce to their ideal: a meat-free
society. Dale Carnegie isn't going to help you sugarcoat that.

Old 27-12-2003, 03:19 AM
Bob Yates

frlpwr wrote:

Bob Yates wrote:
The phase "offer succor" is used to mean offering support and comfort to the living. Therefore it is impossible to "offer succor" to a dead
chicken,

How do you know the chicken is dead? Maybe it's in a coma. Or, since
we're delving into the world of the miraculous, maybe the dead chicken
is about to become reanimated.

Oh, I am sorry, I thought that you had been reading the thread, the
message that you replied to said "lifeless" which would tend to imply
dead to a native speaker of English.

it would be possible to use the chicken to "offer succor" to
the living, maybe in a nice chicken soup.

Are you the same guy who nominated People Eating Tasty Animals as the
Joke of the Year? I'm beginning to think there is a close connection
between meat-eating and unoriginality.

No relationship to any joke nomination. I had no intention of being
original, just applying a rational interpretation to the poster from
PETA. Maybe we should continue in your native language, I have friends
and relatives that speak a variety of non-Engligh languages.
Old 27-12-2003, 03:56 AM
Dutch

"Rubystars" wrote in message
. ..

"Dutch" wrote in message
"frlpwr" wrote in message

Rubystars wrote:

http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/n...40920000245585

Blasphemy. Disgusting.

What's "blasphemy"? The suggestion that the alleged Mother of God

might
offer succor to a lowly chicken? What's "disgusting" is that

Catholics
would take offense at the idea.

Roman Catholics are offended that someone can be even more

self-righteous
than they are.

Here's the poster btw http://www.jesusveg.com/Marychickenbb.pdf

I'm non-denom and I find that poster disgusting because it puts a chicken

in
the place of Jesus Christ. Also that it uses the image of his mother
(someone all Christians should feel great respect for) to prop up a wacky
political philosophy.

Until Roman Catholics get their kiddie-diddler priesthood under control they
have a nerve criticizing anyone.

Old 27-12-2003, 05:32 AM
Rubystars

"Dutch" wrote in message
snip
Until Roman Catholics get their kiddie-diddler priesthood under control

they
have a nerve criticizing anyone.

Now Dutch I agree that there was a large scandal there but I still have alot
of respect for priests and nuns who are serious about dedicating their life
to serving God and their fellow believers. I have some family members who
were molested by protestant ministers. In fact there are probably more
protestant ministers who do this kind of thing simply because there are so
many of them and many of them have less hierarchy to answer to (that's where
the problem was with the RCC, the hierarchy that was in place failed to hold
the priests accountable).

The PETA ad offended me because as a Christian I hold Mary in high regard as
being the mother of Jesus and the first Christian, and Jesus as my Savior,
and I hate seing their images profaned like that.

-Rubystars

Old 27-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Rat & Swan

Default Mary and the Miraculous Chicken

frlpwr wrote:
Bob Yates wrote:

(snip)

The phase "offer succor" is used to mean offering support and comfort to the living. Therefore it is impossible to "offer succor" to a dead
chicken,

How do you know the chicken is dead? Maybe it's in a coma. Or, since
we're delving into the world of the miraculous, maybe the dead chicken
is about to become reanimated.

Now THERE's a cool idea! If people can see the face of Jesus
in a tortilla, why not a miracle to bring an abused chicken
back to life? Go for it, Mary!

Rat
snip

KFC is a sleazy marketer Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 105 18-08-2008 03:41 PM
Tasteless apples - Doug K Nancy Young General Cooking 14 17-11-2005 01:57 AM
tasteless apples rmg General Cooking 25 28-10-2005 09:33 PM
Tasteless ingredients Daisy General Cooking 29 25-10-2004 09:27 AM
tasteless acid ? William R. Watt Preserving 16 26-09-2004 02:41 AM