pearl

Default Cocoa Has More Phenolic Phytochemicals and a Higher Antioxidant Capacity than Teas and Red Wine

AHHHH! BETTER THAN RED WINE OR GREEN TEA,
COCOA FROTHS WITH CANCER-PREVENTING
COMPOUNDS, CORNELL FOOD SCIENTISTS SAY

Cornell News
November 17, 2003

ITHACA, N.Y. -- There is a new reason to enjoy hot cocoa on a
cold winter's night in front of a cozy fire. Consider it a health drink.

Beyond the froth, cocoa teems with antioxidants that prevent cancer,
Cornell University food scientists say. Comparing the chemical
anti-cancer activity in beverages known to contain antioxidants, they
have found that cocoa has nearly twice the antioxidants of red wine
and up to three times those found in green tea.

Their finding will be published Dec. 3 in the American Chemical Society's
Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry , a peer-reviewed publication.

Scientists have long known that cocoa contains antioxidants, but no one
knew just how plentiful they were compared with those in red wine and
green tea.

The Cornell researchers, led by Chang Y. (Cy) Lee, chairman of the
Department of Food Science and Technology at the university's New
York State Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva, N.Y., say the
reason that cocoa leads the other drinks is its high content of
compounds called phenolic phytochemicals, or flavonoids, indicating
the presence of known antioxidants that can stave off cancer, heart
disease and other ailments.

They discovered 611 milligrams of the phenolic compound gallic acid
equivalents (GAE) and 564 milligrams of the flavonoid epicatechin
equivalents (ECE) in a single serving of cocoa.

Examining a glass of red wine, the researchers found 340 milligrams of
GAE and 163 milligrams of ECE. In a cup of green tea, they found
165 milligrams of GAE and 47 milligrams of ECE.

"If I had made a prediction before conducting the tests, I would have
picked green tea as having the most antioxidant activity," said Lee.
"When we compared one serving of each beverage, the cocoa turned
out to be the highest in antioxidant activity, and that was surprising to me."

Phenolic compounds protect plants against insects and pathogens, and
they remain active even after food processing. A decade ago "food
scientists did not know that phenolics had an important role in human
health," says Lee.

Lee and his colleagues used two chemical tests that measured how well
the cocoa compounds scavenge for free radicals -- agents that cause
cancer, heart disease and other diseases.

In the paper, the researchers discuss eating chocolate bars instead of
drinking cocoa. "Although a bar of chocolate exhibits strong
antioxidant activity, the health benefits are still controversial because
of the saturated fats present, "the researchers write.

They explain that cocoa has about one-third of a gram of fat per
one-cup serving, compared with eight grams of fat in a standard-size
40-gram chocolate bar.

Faced with the confusing prospect of drinking red wine or green tea
or cocoa, Lee suggests enjoying all three in different parts of the day.

"Personally, I would drink hot cocoa in the morning, green tea in the
afternoon and a glass of red wine in the evening. That's a good
combination," he says.

The research paper is titled "Cocoa Has More Phenolic Phytochemicals
and a Higher Antioxidant Capacity than Teas and Red Wine." Lee's
collaborators are his former graduate student, Ki Won Lee; Hyong Joo
Lee, a professor at Seoul National University, South Korea; and Young
Jun Kim, a post-doctoral researcher at Cornell.

The research was funded in part by the BioGreen 21 Program, Rural
Development Administration, Republic of South Korea.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases...a-Lee.bpf.html

ta

"pearl" > wrote in message

> AHHHH! BETTER THAN RED WINE OR GREEN TEA,
> COCOA FROTHS WITH CANCER-PREVENTING
> COMPOUNDS, CORNELL FOOD SCIENTISTS SAY

Is there any way to ensure that your cocoa was not produced on the backs of
child slaves in west africa (i.e., http://tinyurl.com/3ab8x), or has that
issue been rectified? I recall contacting one company this year about the
issue, and they could not give me a definitive answer. Just curious, thanks.

> [...]

> one-cup serving, compared with eight grams of fat in a standard-size
> 40-gram chocolate bar.
>
> Faced with the confusing prospect of drinking red wine or green tea
> or cocoa, Lee suggests enjoying all three in different parts of the day.
>
> "Personally, I would drink hot cocoa in the morning, green tea in the
> afternoon and a glass of red wine in the evening. That's a good
> combination," he says.
>
> The research paper is titled "Cocoa Has More Phenolic Phytochemicals
> and a Higher Antioxidant Capacity than Teas and Red Wine." Lee's
> collaborators are his former graduate student, Ki Won Lee; Hyong Joo
> Lee, a professor at Seoul National University, South Korea; and Young
> Jun Kim, a post-doctoral researcher at Cornell.
>
> The research was funded in part by the BioGreen 21 Program, Rural
> Development Administration, Republic of South Korea.

Michael Balarama

I think I will add some chocolate to my diet.
"ta" > wrote in message
. ..

> [...]

> > one-cup serving, compared with eight grams of fat in a standard-size
> > 40-gram chocolate bar.
> >
> > Faced with the confusing prospect of drinking red wine or green tea
> > or cocoa, Lee suggests enjoying all three in different parts of the day.
> >
> > "Personally, I would drink hot cocoa in the morning, green tea in the
> > afternoon and a glass of red wine in the evening. That's a good
> > combination," he says.
> >
> > The research paper is titled "Cocoa Has More Phenolic Phytochemicals
> > and a Higher Antioxidant Capacity than Teas and Red Wine." Lee's
> > collaborators are his former graduate student, Ki Won Lee; Hyong Joo
> > Lee, a professor at Seoul National University, South Korea; and Young
> > Jun Kim, a post-doctoral researcher at Cornell.
> >
> > The research was funded in part by the BioGreen 21 Program, Rural
> > Development Administration, Republic of South Korea.

John 'the Man'

Once upon a time, our fellow ta
rambled on about " Cocoa Has More Phenolic Phytochemicals and a
Higher Antioxidant Capacity than Teas and Red Wine."
Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

>Is there any way to ensure that your cocoa was not produced on the backs of
>child slaves in west africa

That is the only kind that I buy.

Just thought that you might want to know.
Priapus

"ta" > wrote in message
. ..

> Is there any way to ensure that your cocoa was not produced on the

backs of
> child slaves in west africa (i.e., http://tinyurl.com/3ab8x), or has

that
> issue been rectified? I recall contacting one company this year

about the
> issue, and they could not give me a definitive answer. Just curious,

thanks.

Ta, are you saying you don't own any products made in China?

MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, ta of said:

>Is there any way to ensure that your cocoa was not produced on the backs of
>child slaves in west africa (i.e., http://tinyurl.com/3ab8x), or has that
>issue been rectified? I recall contacting one company this year about the
>issue, and they could not give me a definitive answer. Just curious, thanks.

Buy fair-trade cocoa.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Doug Freese

Priapus wrote:

> Ta, are you saying you don't own any products made in China?

While China a big importer they are not the only country that uses
and or abuses people, and not only kids. Where the hell do you draw
the line when you buy just about anything. Did a migrant worker
being paid chump change a day with all his kids pick the head of
lettus, apple, corn that we blindly tossed into our shopping cart?

My point, you can go bloody nuts trying to buy anything that wasn't
made with some degree of uncertain abuse to include the good old
USA. I'm not anti American but we sure as shit also abuse people.
Then we get the PETA crazies and the band plays on ad nauseum.

--
Doug Freese
"Caveat Lector"

pearl

"ta" > wrote in message . ..

> "pearl" > wrote in message

<..>
> Is there any way to ensure that your cocoa was not produced on the backs of
> child slaves in west africa (i.e., http://tinyurl.com/3ab8x), or has that
> issue been rectified? I recall contacting one company this year about the
> issue, and they could not give me a definitive answer. Just curious, thanks.

Thanks for bringing this up, ta. Cocoa production can be particularly
exploitative and injurious to workers.

Look for organic Fair-trade cocoa products. See;
http://www.google.ie/search?q=cocoa+...-1&hl=en&meta=

Rubystars

"pearl" > wrote in message

> AHHHH! BETTER THAN RED WINE OR GREEN TEA,
> COCOA FROTHS WITH CANCER-PREVENTING
> COMPOUNDS, CORNELL FOOD SCIENTISTS SAY

<snip>

I'm glad to know that there's something good in that hot cocoa. I love
it.

-Rubystars

pearl

"Rubystars" > wrote in message .. .

> "pearl" > wrote in message
> >
> > AHHHH! BETTER THAN RED WINE OR GREEN TEA,
> > COCOA FROTHS WITH CANCER-PREVENTING
> > COMPOUNDS, CORNELL FOOD SCIENTISTS SAY

> <snip>
>
> I'm glad to know that there's something good in that hot cocoa. I love
> it.
>
> -Rubystars

ta

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "ta" > wrote in message

. ..

> > "pearl" > wrote in message

> <..>
> > Is there any way to ensure that your cocoa was not produced on the backs

of
> > child slaves in west africa (i.e., http://tinyurl.com/3ab8x), or has

that
> > issue been rectified? I recall contacting one company this year about

the
> > issue, and they could not give me a definitive answer. Just curious,

thanks.

> Thanks for bringing this up, ta. Cocoa production can be particularly
> exploitative and injurious to workers.
>
> Look for organic Fair-trade cocoa products. See;

http://www.google.ie/search?q=cocoa+...-1&hl=en&meta=

Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks Pearl.

pearl

"ta" > wrote in message news

> "pearl" > wrote in message
> > "ta" > wrote in message

> . ..
> > >
> > > "pearl" > wrote in message

> > <..>
> > > Is there any way to ensure that your cocoa was not produced on the backs

> of
> > > child slaves in west africa (i.e., http://tinyurl.com/3ab8x), or has

> that
> > > issue been rectified? I recall contacting one company this year about

> the
> > > issue, and they could not give me a definitive answer. Just curious,

> thanks.
> >
> > Thanks for bringing this up, ta. Cocoa production can be particularly
> > exploitative and injurious to workers.
> >
> > Look for organic Fair-trade cocoa products. See;
> >

> http://www.google.ie/search?q=cocoa+...-1&hl=en&meta=
> >

> Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks Pearl.

A pleasure.

Matti Narkia

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:58:00 -0000 in article >
"pearl" > wrote:

>AHHHH! BETTER THAN RED WINE OR GREEN TEA,
>COCOA FROTHS WITH CANCER-PREVENTING
>COMPOUNDS, CORNELL FOOD SCIENTISTS SAY
>
>Cornell News
>November 17, 2003
>
>ITHACA, N.Y. -- There is a new reason to enjoy hot cocoa on a
>cold winter's night in front of a cozy fire. Consider it a health drink.
>
>Beyond the froth, cocoa teems with antioxidants that prevent cancer,
>Cornell University food scientists say. Comparing the chemical
>anti-cancer activity in beverages known to contain antioxidants, they
>have found that cocoa has nearly twice the antioxidants of red wine
>and up to three times those found in green tea.
>
>Their finding will be published Dec. 3 in the American Chemical Society's
>Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry , a peer-reviewed publication.

The reference for this study is

Lee KW, Kim YJ, Lee HJ, Lee CY.
Cocoa has more phenolic phytochemicals and a higher antioxidant capacity
than teas and red wine.
J Agric Food Chem. 2003 Dec 3;51(25):7292-5.
PMID: 14640573 [PubMed - in process]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=146405 73&dopt=Abstract>

It has also been commented in the article

Hot Cocoa Tops Red Wine And Tea In Antioxidants; May Be Healthier
Choice
<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/11/031106051159.htm>

In the August 2000 issue of the Journal of Nutrition there is a supplement
dedicated to the chocolate:

Supplement
"Chocolate: Modern Science Investigates an Ancient Medicine"
J Nutr. 2000 Aug;130(8S Suppl)
http://www.nutrition.org/content/vol...tml#SUPPLEMENT

Other cocoa/chocolate references:

Serafini M, Bugianesi R, Maiani G, Valtuena S, De Santis S, Crozier A.
Plasma antioxidants from chocolate.
Nature. 2003 Aug 28;424(6952):1013.
<http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v424/n6952/abs/4241013a_fs.html&dynoptions=doi1068987498>

"There is some speculation that dietary flavonoids from
chocolate, in particular (-)epicatechin, may promote
cardiovascular health as a result of direct antioxidant
effects or through antithrombotic mechanisms. Here we show
that consumption of plain, dark chocolate (Fig. 1) results in
an increase in both the total antioxidant capacity and the
(-)epicatechin content of blood plasma, but that these
effects are markedly reduced when the chocolate is consumed
with milk or if milk is incorporated as milk chocolate. Our
findings indicate that milk may interfere with the absorption
of antioxidants from chocolate in vivo and may therefore
negate the potential health benefits that can be derived from
eating moderate amounts of dark chocolate."

Schewe T, Kuhn H, Sies H.
Flavonoids of cocoa inhibit recombinant human 5-lipoxygenase.
J Nutr. 2002 Jul;132(7):1825-9.
PMID: 12097654 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/7/1825>

Hatano T, Miyatake H, Natsume M, Osakabe N, Takizawa T, Ito H, Yoshida T.
Proanthocyanidin glycosides and related polyphenols from cacao liquor and
their antioxidant effects.
Phytochemistry. 2002 Apr;59(7):749-58.
PMID: 11909632 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=119096 32&dopt=Abstract>

Keen CL. Chocolate: food as medicine/medicine as food.
J Am Coll Nutr. 2001 Oct;20(5 Suppl):436S-439S; discussion 440S-442S.
Review.
PMID: 11603654 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/20/suppl_5/436S>

Nestel PJ.
How good is chocolate?
Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 Nov;74(5):563-4.
<http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/74/5/563>

Weisburger JH.
Chemopreventive effects of cocoa polyphenols on chronic diseases.
Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2001 Nov;226(10):891-7. Review.
PMID: 11682694 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ebmonline.org/cgi/content/full/226/10/891>

Richelle M, Tavazzi I, Offord E.
Comparison of the antioxidant activity of commonly consumed polyphenolic
beverages (coffee, cocoa, and tea) prepared per cup serving.
J Agric Food Chem. 2001 Jul;49(7):3438-42.
PMID: 11453788 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=114537 88&dopt=Abstract>

Lamuela-Raventos RM, Andres-Lacueva C, Permanyer J, Izquierdo-Pulido M.
More antioxidants in cocoa.
J Nutr. 2001 Mar;131(3):834-5.
<http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/131/3/834>

Yamagishi M, Osakab N, Takizawa T, Osawa T. Cacao liquor polyphenols
reduce oxidative stress without maintaining alpha-tocopherol levels in
rats fed a vitamin E-deficient diet.
Lipids. 2001 Jan;36(1):67-71.
PMID: 11214731 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=112147 31&dopt=Abstract>

Natsume M, Osakabe N, Yamagishi M, Takizawa T, Nakamura T, Miyatake H,
Hatano T, Yoshida T. Analyses of polyphenols in cacao liquor, cocoa, and
chocolate by normal-phase and reversed-phase HPLC.
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2000 Dec;64(12):2581-7.
PMID: 11210120 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=112101 20&dopt=Abstract>

Wang JF, Schramm DD, Holt RR, Ensunsa JL, Fraga CG, Schmitz HH, Keen CL.
A dose-response effect from chocolate consumption on plasma epicatechin
and oxidative damage.
J Nutr. 2000 Aug;130(8S Suppl):2115S-9S.
PMID: 10917932 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/8/2115S>

Rein D, Lotito S, Holt RR, Keen CL, Schmitz HH, Fraga CG.
Epicatechin in human plasma: in vivo determination and effect of chocolate
consumption on plasma oxidation status.
J Nutr. 2000 Aug;130(8S Suppl):2109S-14S.
PMID: 10917931 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/8/2109S>

Baba S, Osakabe N, Natsume M, Yasuda A, Takizawa T, Nakamura T, Terao J.
Cocoa powder enhances the level of antioxidative activity in rat plasma.
Br J Nutr. 2000 Nov;84(5):673-80.
PMID: 11177180 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=111771 80&dopt=Abstract>

Arts IC, Hollman PC, Kromhout D.
Chocolate as a source of tea flavonoids.
Lancet. 1999 Aug 7;354(9177):488.
PMID: 10465183 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.thelancet.com/journal/vol354/iss9177/full/llan.354.9177.original_research.3499.1>

"... Dark chocolate had the highest total catechin content
(53·5 mg per 100 g), milk chocolate contained 15·9 mg per 100
g, and the black tea infusion contained only 13·9 mg per 100
mL. The types of catechins differed between chocolate and
tea. Chocolate contained only (+)-catechin and (-)-
epicatechin; tea contained mainly (-)-epicatechin gallate and
(-)-epigallocatechin gallate with low concentrations of (+)-
catechin, (-)-epicatechin, (-)-epigallocatechin, and (+)-
gallocatechin. ..."

Osakabe N, Yamagishi M, Sanbongi C, Natsume M, Takizawa T, Osawa T.
The antioxidative substances in cacao liquor.
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1998 Apr;44(2):313-21.
PMID: 9675711 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=967571 1&dopt=Abstract>

I-Min Lee and Ralph S Paffenbarger, Jr
Life is sweet: candy consumption and longevity
BMJ 1998; 317: 1683-1684 ( 19 December )
<http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/317/7174/1683>

Kirschbaum J.
Effect on human longevity of added dietary chocolate.
Nutrition. 1998 Nov-Dec;14(11-12):869. No abstract available.
PMID: 9834932; UI: 99051997
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=983493 2&dopt=Abstract>.

Osakabe N, Sanbongi C, Yamagishi M, Takizawa T, Osawa T.
Effects of polyphenol substances derived from Theobroma cacao on
gastric mucosal lesion induced by ethanol.
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1998 Aug;62(8):1535-8.
PMID: 9757560; UI: 98430126.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=975756 0&dopt=Abstract>

Sanbongi C, Suzuki N, Sakane T.
Polyphenols in chocolate, which have antioxidant activity, modulate
immune functions in humans in vitro.
Cell Immunol. 1997 May 1;177(2):129-36.
PMID: 9178639; UI: 97321985.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=917863 9&dopt=Abstract>

Waterhouse AL, Shirley JR, Donovan JL.
Antioxidants in chocolate.
Lancet. 1996 Sep 21;348(9030):834
<http://www.thelancet.com/journal/vol348/iss9030/full/llan.348.9030.correspondence.9133.1>

Cardiovascular Effects
______________________

Steinberg FM, Bearden MM, Keen CL.
Cocoa and chocolate flavonoids: implications for cardiovascular health.
J Am Diet Assoc. 2003 Feb;103(2):215-23. Review.
PMID: 12589329 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=125893 29&dopt=Abstract>

"... Applications of this knowledge include recommendations by health
professionals to encourage individuals to consume a wide range of
phytochemical-rich foods, which can include dark chocolate in
moderate amounts."

Murphy KJ, Chronopoulos AK, Singh I, Francis MA, Moriarty H, Pike MJ,
Turner AH, Mann NJ, Sinclair AJ.
Dietary flavanols and procyanidin oligomers from cocoa (Theobroma cacao)
inhibit platelet function.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Jun;77(6):1466-73.
PMID: 12791625 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=127916 25&dopt=Abstract>

"... CONCLUSIONS: Cocoa flavanol and procyanidin
supplementation for 28 d significantly increased plasma
epicatechin and catechin concentrations and significantly
decreased platelet function. These data support the results
of acute studies that used higher doses of cocoa flavanols
and procyanidins."

Kris-Etherton PM, Keen CL.
Evidence that the antioxidant flavonoids in tea and cocoa are beneficial
for cardiovascular health.
Curr Opin Lipidol. 2002 Feb;13(1):41-9. Review.
PMID: 11790962 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=117909 62&dopt=Abstract>

Commented in

Chocolate, Tea Can Cut Risk Of Cardiovascular Disease
Daily University Science News, 21-Jan-2002
<http://unisci.com/stories/20021/0121024.htm>

Mathur S, Devaraj S, Grundy SM, Jialal I.
Cocoa products decrease low density lipoprotein oxidative susceptibility
but do not affect biomarkers of inflammation in humans.
J Nutr. 2002 Dec;132(12):3663-7.
PMID: 12468604 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=124686 04&dopt=Abstract>

Holt RR, Schramm DD, Keen CL, Lazarus SA, Schmitz HH.
Chocolate consumption and platelet function.
JAMA. 2002 May 1;287(17):2212-3.
<http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/287/17/2212>

Wan Y, Vinson JA, Etherton TD, Proch J, Lazarus SA, Kris-Etherton PM.
Effects of cocoa powder and dark chocolate on LDL oxidative susceptibility
and prostaglandin concentrations in humans.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 Nov;74(5):596-602.
<http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/74/5/596>

Osakabe N, Baba S, Yasuda A, Iwamoto T, Kamiyama M, Takizawa T, Itakura H,
Kondo K.
Daily cocoa intake reduces the susceptibility of low-density lipoprotein
to oxidation as demonstrated in healthy human volunteers.
Free Radic Res. 2001 Jan;34(1):93-9.
PMID: 11235000 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=112350 00&dopt=Abstract>

"... In conclusion, the antioxidants in cocoa powder might be absorbed
and increase the resistance of human LDL to oxidation."

Schramm DD, Wang JF, Holt RR, Ensunsa JL, Gonsalves JL, Lazarus SA,
Schmitz HH, German JB, Keen CL.
Chocolate procyanidins decrease the leukotriene-prostacyclin ratio in
humans and human aortic endothelial cells.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 Jan;73(1):36-40.
PMID: 11124747 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/73/1/36>

"CONCLUSION: Data from this short-term investigation support the
concept that certain food-derived flavonoids can favorably alter
eicosanoid synthesis in humans, providing a plausible hypothesis
for a mechanism by which they can decrease platelet activation in
humans."

Hirano R, Osakabe N, Iwamoto A, Matsumoto A, Natsume M, Takizawa T,
Igarashi O, Itakura H, Kondo K.
Antioxidant effects of polyphenols in chocolate on low-density lipoprotein
both in vitro and ex vivo.
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2000 Aug;46(4):199-204.
PMID: 11185658 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=111856 58&dopt=Abstract>

"... Thus we have shown that cocoa inhibited LDL oxidation both in
vitro and ex vivo."

Rein D, Paglieroni TG, Wun T, Pearson DA, Schmitz HH, Gosselin R, Keen CL.
Cocoa inhibits platelet activation and function.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Jul;72(1):30-5.
PMID: 10871557 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/1/30>

"CONCLUSIONS: Cocoa consumption suppressed ADP- or
epinephrine-stimulated platelet activation and platelet microparticle
formation. Cocoa consumption had an aspirin-like effect on primary
hemostasis."

Karim M, McCormick K, Kappagoda CT.
Effects of cocoa extracts on endothelium-dependent relaxation.
J Nutr. 2000 Aug;130(8S Suppl):2105S-8S.
PMID: 10917930 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/8/2105S>

--
Matti Narkia
Matti Narkia

Dark chocolate may also lower blood pressu

The darker the chocolate, the lower the blood pressure
CBC News, 26 Aug 2003
<http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/08/26/Consumers/chocolate_030826>

Dark chocolate may aid blood pressure, study says
By Lindsey Tanner, Associated Press, 8/27/2003
<http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/08/27/dark_chocolate_may_aid_blood_pressure_study_says/>

Dark Chocolate Is Healthy Chocolate
Dark Chocolate Has Health Benefits Not Seen in Other Varieties
Aug. 27, 2003
<http://my.webmd.com/content/article/73/81921.htm>

Eating chocolate 'helps cut high blood pressure'
By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
Telegraph, 16/02/2002
<http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/02/16/wchoc16.xml>

Chocolate and Blood Pressure in Elderly Individuals With Isolated Systolic
Hypertension
Dirk Taubert; Reinhard Berkels; Renate Roesen; Wolfgang Klaus
JAMA. 2003;290:1029-1030.
<http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/290/8/1029>

Fisher ND, Hughes M, Gerhard-Herman M, Hollenberg NK.
Flavanol-rich cocoa induces nitric-oxide-dependent vasodilation in healthy
humans.
J Hypertens. 2003 Dec;21(12):2281-6.
PMID: 14654748 [PubMed - in process]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=146547 48&dopt=Abstract>

--
Matti Narkia
Gene Haywood

The sugar in chocolate is probably more harmful than the saturated
fat. Most of the saturated fat in dark chocolate is of a harmless
type. Drink that low fat cocoa beverage with sugar and much of the
health value is negated. Perhaps stevia could be used as a sweetener.

"pearl" > wrote in message >...
> [...]
> one-cup serving, compared with eight grams of fat in a standard-size
> 40-gram chocolate bar.
>
> Faced with the confusing prospect of drinking red wine or green tea
> or cocoa, Lee suggests enjoying all three in different parts of the day.
>
> "Personally, I would drink hot cocoa in the morning, green tea in the
> afternoon and a glass of red wine in the evening. That's a good
> combination," he says.
>
> The research paper is titled "Cocoa Has More Phenolic Phytochemicals
> and a Higher Antioxidant Capacity than Teas and Red Wine." Lee's
> collaborators are his former graduate student, Ki Won Lee; Hyong Joo
> Lee, a professor at Seoul National University, South Korea; and Young
> Jun Kim, a post-doctoral researcher at Cornell.
>
> The research was funded in part by the BioGreen 21 Program, Rural
> Development Administration, Republic of South Korea.

Lorraine

"ta" > wrote in message
. ..

> "pearl" > wrote in message
> >
> > AHHHH! BETTER THAN RED WINE OR GREEN TEA,
> > COCOA FROTHS WITH CANCER-PREVENTING
> > COMPOUNDS, CORNELL FOOD SCIENTISTS SAY

> Is there any way to ensure that your cocoa was not produced on the backs

of
> child slaves in west africa (i.e., http://tinyurl.com/3ab8x), or has that
> issue been rectified? I recall contacting one company this year about the
> issue, and they could not give me a definitive answer. Just curious,

thanks.

This website lists chocolate manufacturers according to which ones do or do
not use cocoa harvested from West Africa. My rule of thumb has been to
stick with organic chocolate, because they don't grow organic cocoa beans in
that region.

http://www.radicalthought.org/A55868/cocoa.nsf/allpg!OpenPage&Start=1&Count=
500&Collapse=1

Lorraine

Lorraine

"Lorraine" > wrote in message

> "ta" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "pearl" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > AHHHH! BETTER THAN RED WINE OR GREEN TEA,
> > > COCOA FROTHS WITH CANCER-PREVENTING
> > > COMPOUNDS, CORNELL FOOD SCIENTISTS SAY

> > Is there any way to ensure that your cocoa was not produced on the backs

> of
> > child slaves in west africa (i.e., http://tinyurl.com/3ab8x), or has

that
> > issue been rectified? I recall contacting one company this year about

the
> > issue, and they could not give me a definitive answer. Just curious,

> thanks.
> >

> This website lists chocolate manufacturers according to which ones do or

do
> not use cocoa harvested from West Africa. My rule of thumb has been to
> stick with organic chocolate, because they don't grow organic cocoa beans

in
> that region.

http://www.radicalthought.org/A55868/cocoa.nsf/allpg!OpenPage&Start=1&Count=
> 500&Collapse=1
>
> Lorraine

Sorry, the longer link doesn't seem to work. Here is a link to the homepage
http://www.radicalthought.org/ . Just click on "Companies Page"

Lorraine

pearl

"Gene Haywood" > wrote in message om...
> The sugar in chocolate is probably more harmful than the saturated
> fat. Most of the saturated fat in dark chocolate is of a harmless
> type. Drink that low fat cocoa beverage with sugar and much of the
> health value is negated. Perhaps stevia could be used as a sweetener.

The FDA & Stevia

While the American public has waited in vain for a safe artificial
sweetener to be developed, citizens of certain other countries have
for years -- in some cases, for centuries -- enjoyed a safe, natural
sweetener that is virtually calorie-free and to which many other
health benefits have been attributed. This miracle sweetener is a
South American herb called Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni -- commonly
known simply as stevia, estimated to be some 150 to 400 times
sweeter than sugar. .....'

<links>

Celestial Seasonings:
Who sent the trade complaint that started the raid?

The 19 Studies

Stevia book burning

The aspartame
NutraSweet fiasco
by James S. Turner

http://www.stevia.net/fda.htm

'Since the passage of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education
Act (DSHEA), stevia can be sold legally in the United States, but only
as a "dietary supplement." Even so, it can be found in many forms in
most health-food stores, and is also incorporated into drinks, teas and
other items (all labeled as "dietary supplements"). It cannot, however,
be called a "sweetener" or even referred to as "sweet." To do so would
render the product "adulterated," according to the FDA, and make it
again subject to seizure.

The purpose of our Web site is to provide as much information
about stevia as possible, from the scientific studies regarding its safety
to the petitions submitted by the Lipton Tea Company and the American
Herbal Products Association. ....'

History of use Growing Stevia Recipes and tips Order Stevia
Sources and links BED home page Safety studies Varieties of stevia
http://www.stevia.net/

Another important consideration, from Matti Narkia's post;

[...]

http://tinyurl.com/ytcvn

In summary;

Ingredients for a good wholesome mug of delicious hot chocolate:

Organic Fair-trade Cocoa.
Stevia
'Rice-dream' or similar, to replace milk.

Enjoy. .

> "pearl" > wrote in message >...

<..>
> > http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases...a-Lee.bpf.html

Bunch-a-lunch

There is one potentially serious problem with Stevia. It functions like a
calcium channel blocker, lowering blood pressure. This can be quite
dangerous for those who already take blood pressure medications, driving
pressures lower. One would also think this is potentially fatal to those
with low blood pressure condition.

That said, Stevia tastes great. But it is not without side effects. Use
in moderation.

"pearl" > wrote in
:

> "Gene Haywood" > wrote in message
> om...
>> The sugar in chocolate is probably more harmful than the saturated
>> fat. Most of the saturated fat in dark chocolate is of a harmless
>> type. Drink that low fat cocoa beverage with sugar and much of the
>> health value is negated. Perhaps stevia could be used as a sweetener.

> The FDA & Stevia
>
> While the American public has waited in vain for a safe artificial
> sweetener to be developed, citizens of certain other countries have
> for years -- in some cases, for centuries -- enjoyed a safe, natural
> sweetener that is virtually calorie-free and to which many other
> health benefits have been attributed. This miracle sweetener is a
> South American herb called Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni -- commonly
> known simply as stevia, estimated to be some 150 to 400 times
> sweeter than sugar. .....'

Alf Christophersen

On 24 Dec 2003 17:18:37 -0800, (Gene Haywood)
wrote:

>The sugar in chocolate is probably more harmful than the saturated
>fat. Most of the saturated fat in dark chocolate is of a harmless
>type. Drink that low fat cocoa beverage with sugar and much of the

Saturated fats increases HDL :-)

Matti Narkia

31 Dec 2003 08:09:08 -0500 in article
03> "Bunch-a-lunch"
> wrote:

>There is one potentially serious problem with Stevia. It functions like a
>calcium channel blocker, lowering blood pressure. This can be quite
>dangerous for those who already take blood pressure medications, driving
>pressures lower. One would also think this is potentially fatal to those
>with low blood pressure condition.

On the other hand people, who have slightly elevated blood pressure and who
don't take blood pressure medications, will regard this not a problem, but a
great bonus :-). Stevia seems to have also antihyperglycemic effects.

Hsieh MH, Chan P, Sue YM, Liu JC, Liang TH, Huang TY, Tomlinson B, Chow
MS, Kao PF, Chen YJ.
Efficacy and tolerability of oral stevioside in patients with mild
essential hypertension: A two-year, randomized, placebo-controlled study.
Clin Ther. 2003 Nov;25(11):2797-808.
PMID: 14693305 [PubMed - in process]
<URL:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=146933 05&dopt=Abstract>

Chan P, Tomlinson B, Chen YJ, Liu JC, Hsieh MH, Cheng JT.
A double-blind placebo-controlled study of the effectiveness and
tolerability of oral stevioside in human hypertension.
Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2000 Sep;50(3):215-20.
PMID: 10971305 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<URL:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=109713 05&dopt=Abstract>

Liu JC, Kao PK, Chan P, Hsu YH, Hou CC, Lien GS, Hsieh MH, Chen YJ,
Cheng JT.
Mechanism of the antihypertensive effect of stevioside in anesthetized
dogs.
Pharmacology. 2003 Jan;67(1):14-20.
PMID: 12444299 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<URL:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=124442 99&dopt=Abstract>

Lee CN, Wong KL, Liu JC, Chen YJ, Cheng JT, Chan P.
Inhibitory effect of stevioside on calcium influx to produce
antihypertension.
Planta Med. 2001 Dec;67(9):796-9.
PMID: 11745013 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<URL:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=117450 13&dopt=Abstract>

Geuns JM.
Stevioside.
Phytochemistry. 2003 Nov;64(5):913-21.
PMID: 14561506 [PubMed - in process]
<URL:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=145615 06&dopt=Abstract>

Gregersen S, Jeppesen PB, Holst JJ, Hermansen K.
Antihyperglycemic effects of stevioside in type 2 diabetic subjects.
Metabolism. 2004 Jan;53(1):73-6.
PMID: 14681845 [PubMed - in process]
<URL:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=146818 45&dopt=Abstract>

Jeppesen PB, Gregersen S, Rolfsen SE, Jepsen M, Colombo M, Agger A, Xiao
J, Kruhoffer M, Orntoft T, Hermansen K.
Antihyperglycemic and blood pressure-reducing effects of stevioside in the
diabetic Goto-Kakizaki rat.
Metabolism. 2003 Mar;52(3):372-8.
PMID: 12647278 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<URL:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=126472 78&dopt=Abstract>

Lailerd N, Saengsirisuwan V, Sloniger JA, Toskulkao C, Henriksen EJ.
Effects of stevioside on glucose transport activity in insulin-sensitive
and insulin-resistant rat skeletal muscle.
Metabolism. 2004 Jan;53(1):101-7.
PMID: 14681850 [PubMed - in process]
<URL:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=146818 50&dopt=Abstract>

Jeppesen PB, Gregersen S, Alstrup KK, Hermansen K.
Stevioside induces antihyperglycaemic, insulinotropic and glucagonostatic
effects in vivo: studies in the diabetic Goto-Kakizaki (GK) rats.
Phytomedicine. 2002 Jan;9(1):9-14.
PMID: 11924770 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<URL:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=119247 70&dopt=Abstract>

Jeppesen PB, Gregersen S, Poulsen CR, Hermansen K.
Stevioside acts directly on pancreatic beta cells to secrete insulin:
actions independent of cyclic adenosine monophosphate and adenosine
triphosphate-sensitive K+-channel activity.
Metabolism. 2000 Feb;49(2):208-14.
PMID: 10690946 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<URL:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=106909 46&dopt=Abstract>

--
Matti Narkia
Bunch-a-lunch

Carbs increase triglycerides.

As a vegetarian, all my lipid levels normalized except for triglycerides.
They sored from normal to 300 in a year's time. But the doctor is not too
worried, considering it lowered all other cardiac risk factors.

Alf Christophersen > wrote in
:

> On 24 Dec 2003 17:18:37 -0800, (Gene Haywood)
> wrote:
>
>>The sugar in chocolate is probably more harmful than the saturated
>>fat. Most of the saturated fat in dark chocolate is of a harmless
>>type. Drink that low fat cocoa beverage with sugar and much of the

> Saturated fats increases HDL :-)

Rubystars

"Bunch-a-lunch" > wrote in message
. 74.203...
> Carbs increase triglycerides.
>
> As a vegetarian, all my lipid levels normalized except for triglycerides.
> They sored from normal to 300 in a year's time. But the doctor is not too
> worried, considering it lowered all other cardiac risk factors.

If I were you I'd try to find out why your triglycerides are spiking.

-Rubystars

James

We carry Chocamine, a patent pending form of cocoa that is very
popular, on our site at www.KiloHealth.com.

If anyone is interested in the ethical, organic, fair trade based
Cocoa - I will buy it in bulk and offer it as well. KiloHealth.com is
a wholesale priced supplement store...

"Lorraine" > wrote in message >...
> "ta" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "pearl" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > AHHHH! BETTER THAN RED WINE OR GREEN TEA,
> > > COCOA FROTHS WITH CANCER-PREVENTING
> > > COMPOUNDS, CORNELL FOOD SCIENTISTS SAY

> > Is there any way to ensure that your cocoa was not produced on the backs

> of
> > child slaves in west africa (i.e., http://tinyurl.com/3ab8x), or has that
> > issue been rectified? I recall contacting one company this year about the
> > issue, and they could not give me a definitive answer. Just curious,

> thanks.
> >

> This website lists chocolate manufacturers according to which ones do or do
> not use cocoa harvested from West Africa. My rule of thumb has been to
> stick with organic chocolate, because they don't grow organic cocoa beans in
> that region.
>
> http://www.radicalthought.org/A55868/cocoa.nsf/allpg!OpenPage&Start=1&Count=
> 500&Collapse=1
>
> Lorraine

The price of your morning buzz is about to get even higher. Hitwith wildly increasing costs for beans from growers, coffee roasters arecharging more to supermarkets and other retailers €” andthose folks are passing the higher prices on to consumers. news Coffee 1 06-06-2011 05:55 AM
Veriuni Advanced Antioxidant with Red Wine Extract [email protected] General Cooking 0 20-12-2007 03:45 AM
Top Antioxidant Teas Sandstone Tea 5 11-02-2005 05:19 AM
Ahhhh! Better than red wine or green tea, cocoa froths with cancer-preventing compounds, Cornell food scientists say i n k Chocolate 0 26-11-2003 10:02 PM
Hot Cocoa tops red wine and tea in antioxidants Name withheld by request Chocolate 0 11-11-2003 09:01 AM