lostcherree

Default British Airways Vegan meals

ok so I flew to London this month on British Airways and I requested a
vegan meal

the first meal I had on the plane seemed vegan (I'm just veggie now so it
doesn't make much difference to me), but then the second meal (breakfast)
wasn't vegan at all. I can't remember what it was but they gave me butter
and this milk substitute that wasn't vegan.

then coming back... they for some reason had my marked down as having a L-O
veggie meal, but the second meal was labeled vegan and it consisted of the
following:

egg and mayo sandwich
chocolate banana muffin
cheese and onion crackers
milk for tea

?!?!!?!? I figured someone just marked it wrong, but I dunno

does this happen to you guys frequently?

Heather
Rubystars

"lostcherree" > wrote in message
> ok so I flew to London this month on British Airways and I requested a
> vegan meal
>
> the first meal I had on the plane seemed vegan (I'm just veggie now so it
> doesn't make much difference to me), but then the second meal (breakfast)
> wasn't vegan at all. I can't remember what it was but they gave me butter
> and this milk substitute that wasn't vegan.
>
> then coming back... they for some reason had my marked down as having a

L-O
> veggie meal, but the second meal was labeled vegan and it consisted of the
> following:
>
> egg and mayo sandwich
> chocolate banana muffin
> cheese and onion crackers
> milk for tea
>
> ?!?!!?!? I figured someone just marked it wrong, but I dunno
>
> does this happen to you guys frequently?
>
> Heather

The people on the airlines probably thought eggs and milk were vegan because
they probably don't understand the difference between vegan and vegetarian.
And a lot of people think that vegetarians don't mind if something contains
"just a little" meat, like say, cooking vegetables in bacon grease, or
adding chicken broth to vegetable soup, or serving yogurt with gelatin.

You can't change the world but the way to deal with it next time is probably
to pack your own meals and take them with you. That way, if they serve you
something palatable, fine. If it turns out not being something you can eat,
you have something ready to eat instead.

-Rubystars

lostcherree

> The people on the airlines probably thought eggs and milk were vegan
> because they probably don't understand the difference between vegan
> and vegetarian. And a lot of people think that vegetarians don't mind
> if something contains "just a little" meat, like say, cooking
> vegetables in bacon grease, or adding chicken broth to vegetable soup,
> or serving yogurt with gelatin.
>
> You can't change the world but the way to deal with it next time is
> probably to pack your own meals and take them with you. That way, if
> they serve you something palatable, fine. If it turns out not being
> something you can eat, you have something ready to eat instead.
>
> -Rubystars

I don't want to change the world (insert billy bragg lyric here)

since I'm not vegan anymore, I ate it anyways, but it's just silly how you
can request a vegan meal and they will only give you one vegan meal out of
two. Then mess it up entirely on the returning flight. I just wanted to see
if that happened to other people as well. It's kind of a bigger inconvience
to have the option of a vegan meal, have an expectation, and then them not
coming through...

I will say the first meal I had, the cous cous, was mighty tasty though

heather

Rubystars

"lostcherree" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I don't want to change the world (insert billy bragg lyric here)

lol

> since I'm not vegan anymore, I ate it anyways, but it's just silly how you
> can request a vegan meal and they will only give you one vegan meal out
>of
> two.

They don't know what "Vegan" is. I wouldn't be surprised if someone said
they were vegan, requested a vegan meal, and ended up with a kosher or halal
meat dish.

>Then mess it up entirely on the returning flight. I just wanted to see
> if that happened to other people as well. It's kind of a bigger

inconvience
> to have the option of a vegan meal, have an expectation, and then them not
> coming through...

There have been other people that posted here in the past about similar
things.

> I will say the first meal I had, the cous cous, was mighty tasty though

That's good at least.

-Rubystars

MrFalafel

lostcherree > wrote in message >...
> ok so I flew to London this month on British Airways and I requested a
> vegan meal
>
> the first meal I had on the plane seemed vegan (I'm just veggie now so it
> doesn't make much difference to me), but then the second meal (breakfast)
> wasn't vegan at all. I can't remember what it was but they gave me butter
> and this milk substitute that wasn't vegan.
>
> then coming back... they for some reason had my marked down as having a L-O
> veggie meal, but the second meal was labeled vegan and it consisted of the
> following:
>
> egg and mayo sandwich
> chocolate banana muffin
> cheese and onion crackers
> milk for tea
>
> ?!?!!?!? I figured someone just marked it wrong, but I dunno
>
> does this happen to you guys frequently?
>
> Heather

I've flown with BA many times and they've always given me a vegan meal
as requested. I always call and confirm the meal a day or so before
the flight and also confirm it when I check-in for my boarding pass.
BA offers several different types of vegetarian meals (kosher,
western, and a few others) so it's not suprising if they make a
mistake every now and then. I consider BA to be the most accomodating
airline for vegans.

Adam D. Moss

MrFalafel wrote:
> I've flown with BA many times and they've always given me a vegan meal
> as requested. I always call and confirm the meal a day or so before
> the flight and also confirm it when I check-in for my boarding pass.
> BA offers several different types of vegetarian meals (kosher,
> western, and a few others) so it's not suprising if they make a
> mistake every now and then. I consider BA to be the most accomodating
> airline for vegans.

The last time I flew anywhere was with BA, and I ended up
getting nothing to eat (not that airline meals are a big
improvement over nothing) despite pre-ordering a vegan
meal. I didn't have to remind them, they came to me and
said that they didn't get a vegan meal put onboard. I
wasn't too bothered though.

--adam
JAID

Jennifer Huebl wrote:

> ...bring your own snacks and drinks on the plane just in case.
> Expect the worst with airline special meals -- that way you'll be
> surprised and happy when you get something edible =)

Yes, sensible suggestion. Likewise, I reckon airlines make a decent
attempt most of the time and a couple times a stunning effort, way
beyond the call.

Then, I like melon.

Ian