Nicholas Zhou

Default Vegetarian Chow Mein

FREE RECIPES: To get authentic and healthy Chinese recipes and cooking tips emailed to you in 5 minutes, please subscribe to ChineseFoodDIY.com's weekly newsletters by sending a blank email to:

Vegetarian Chow Mein

Serves 4

Ingredients:

1/2 pound dried or fresh egg noodles

2 ounces celery
2 ounces canned bamboo shoots
2 tablespoons peanut oil for Stir-frying
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small onion, finely sliced
1/2 pound small button mushrooms, whole
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
3 tablespoons vegetable stock
1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 pound bean sprouts

Garnish:

Fresh coriander sprigs

Directions:

1. If you are using fresh noodles, blanch them first in a large pot of boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes. If you are using the dried noodles, cook in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the noodles, then put them into cold water until required.

2. String the celery and slice diagonally. Shred the bamboo shoots.

3. Heat a wok or large frying-pan and add the oil. When moderately hot, add the garlic and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add the onion, mushrooms, celery, and bamboo shoots and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.

4. Drain the noodles thoroughly and put into the wok. Continue to stir-fry for 1 minute then add the rest of the ingredients except the bean sprouts. Continue to stir-fry for another 2 minutes and then add the bean sprouts. Give the mixture a good stir and turn it onto a serving platter.

5. Garnish with fresh coriander sprigs.

Nutritional Breakdown per serving: 335 calories (kcal); 10 g Total Fat (15 percent calories from fat); 12 g Protein; 51 g Carbohydrate; 54 mg Cholesterol; 901 mg Sodium; 4g Fiber
(Based on a medium sized onion; also, the database does not have a category for dark soy sauce. Just to give an idea of how much it helps to cut back on oil in cooking, using 3 tablespoons instead of 2 increases the calorie count to 364 calories per serving).

Nicholas Zhou - Author
"Real and Healthy Chinese Cooking"
http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FREE RECIPES: To claim your free Chinese recipes, cooking tips
and health articles, email to

EARN 55% COMMISSION:
http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/affiliateprogram.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve

Nicholas Zhou wrote:

> FREE RECIPES: To get authentic and healthy Chinese recipes and cooking
> tips emailed to you in 5 minutes, please subscribe to
> ChineseFoodDIY.com's weekly newsletters by sending a blank email to:
> >

> Vegetarian Chow Mein
>

> Serves 4
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1/2 pound dried or fresh egg noodles

Please stop posting non-vegan recipies to alt.food.vegan

--
2 Bush Administrations
2 Recessions

Rubystars

"Steve"
<ADDRESS_MUNGED_TO_PREVENT_SPAM_PLEASE_REPLY_TO_GR
> wrote in message ...
> Nicholas Zhou wrote:
> >

> > FREE RECIPES: To get authentic and healthy Chinese recipes and cooking
> > tips emailed to you in 5 minutes, please subscribe to
> > ChineseFoodDIY.com's weekly newsletters by sending a blank email to:
> > >

> > Vegetarian Chow Mein
> >

> > Serves 4
> >
> > Ingredients:
> >
> > 1/2 pound dried or fresh egg noodles

> Please stop posting non-vegan recipies to alt.food.vegan

You could probably use something else besides egg noodles.

I use egg noodles for fettucine alfredo (yeah I know, that's not vegan
either) when I make it but other pasta works just about as well.

-Rubystars

Megan Milligan

not to mention a lot of so called "egg noodles" don't have egg in them at
all.

Megan

Michael Balarama

"Steve"
<ADDRESS_MUNGED_TO_PREVENT_SPAM_PLEASE_REPLY_TO_GR
> wrote in message news:3fd352b2$0$7600$afc38c87@...
> Rubystars wrote:
> > I use egg noodles for fettucine alfredo (yeah I know, that's not vegan
> > either) when I make it but other pasta works just about as well.

> I don't mean this to sound like "what are you doing *here* ?".
>
> If you are not vegan, why are you reading this group?

I don't think using egg noodles once in while makes someone a on vegan-it is
the spirit...My real dressy shoes are leather-I wear them 4 or 5 times a
year..
Michael

> Steve
>

> --
> 2 Bush Administrations
> 2 Recessions
> 2 Wars
> Can we skip Jeb?

ta

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message

> "Steve"

<ADDRESS_MUNGED_TO_PREVENT_SPAM_PLEASE_REPLY_TO_GR
> > wrote in message news:3fd352b2$0$7600$afc38c87@...
> > Rubystars wrote:
> > > I use egg noodles for fettucine alfredo (yeah I know, that's not vegan
> > > either) when I make it but other pasta works just about as well.

> > I don't mean this to sound like "what are you doing *here* ?".
> >
> > If you are not vegan, why are you reading this group?

> I don't think using egg noodles once in while makes someone a on vegan-it

is
> the spirit...My real dressy shoes are leather-I wear them 4 or 5 times a
> year..
> Michael

Yeah, I have a bunch of items like a leather coat that I bought long before
I went vegan that I refuse to just throw away. The cow is dead, the damage
has been done, and I need to stay warm. I'm not into making "statements"
with my clothes anyway, which is probably unnaceptable to some of the hard
core dogmatists, but whaddyagunna do?

Chow Mein Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 86 21-03-2012 01:59 AM
Ham Chow Mein Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-12-2005 04:48 PM
chow mein Karen Cooke General Cooking 4 07-04-2004 08:42 PM
Chow Mein Casserole luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 10-01-2004 02:47 PM