Russ Thompson

Default Free range Egg Question

> That's crazy. If everyone was a vegan, there'd still be lots of cows,
> running around in giant herds, like buffalos, and wild chickens flapping
> around everywhere, and pigs too...

Not dairy cows. Dairy cows are not capable of surviving wild anymore than a
poodle could survive if turned loose in the wild of Alaska.

Kala Thompson
Farmer
Richland Center, Wi USA

Russ Thompson

Default Free range Egg Question-correction

Most are
> slaughtered at 14 or so month of age.

That should read "24 month of age"
Sorry about that.

Kala

The Rock Garden

"Xyzzy" > wrote

> I would like to get my eggs from this kind of a farm. Where can I get
> information on local (Pennsylvania) suppliers?

http://www.eatwild.com/

Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN
Newport, WA
http://www.povn.com/rock/

Xyzzy

"The Rock Garden" > wrote in message >...
> "Xyzzy" > wrote
>
> > I would like to get my eggs from this kind of a farm. Where can I get
> > information on local (Pennsylvania) suppliers?

> http://www.eatwild.com/

Nice!

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:57:10 -0600, "Russ Thompson" > wrote:

>> That's crazy. If everyone was a vegan, there'd still be lots of cows,
>> running around in giant herds, like buffalos, and wild chickens flapping
>> around everywhere, and pigs too...

>Not dairy cows. Dairy cows are not capable of surviving wild anymore than a
>poodle could survive if turned loose in the wild of Alaska.
>
>Kala Thompson
>Farmer
>Richland Center, Wi USA

Think what it would do to roads and traffic. It might put an end to
insurance companies.

Default Free range Egg dump

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:02:36 -0700, Rat & Swan > wrote:

wrote:

><snip>
>>. Let's go on with it a bit to something I never see
>> the "ARAs" point out, but it's a huge factor to me: sometimes
>> one or more of the hens will single out and beat on another
>> hen.

><snip>
>
>You "never see" it because you spend all your time with your head
>up your ass. It's one of the factors AR literature points out
>every time battery egg production is mentioned -- by either ARAs
>or professional journals for battery egg producers. Why do you
>think chickens are debeaked (have the tips of their beaks burned
>off )? So they won't kill other chickens in the same cage
>by pecking them to death. The people who do it even say that is
>why they do it. In any social species, when the lowest-rank
>animals can't escape from higher-rank animals (i.e. demonstrate
>submission properly)they may end up badly hurt or killed.
>
>Rat

Show me an example of "ARAs" describing the conditions
that make a hen afraid to pull her head out of a corner. How
do you think this might relate to the idea of their feet growing
into the wire floor (or whatever)?

wrote:

><snip>
>>. Let's go on with it a bit to something I never see
>> the "ARAs" point out, but it's a huge factor to me: sometimes
>> one or more of the hens will single out and beat on another
>> hen.

><snip>
>
>You "never see" it because you spend all your time with your head
>up your ass.

What a stupid thing to write. And a lie too! Until now I had a bit
more respect for you than for the Gonad, but apparently you're all
pretty much the same.

>It's one of the factors AR literature points out
>every time battery egg production is mentioned

I feel it's safe to say that you can't produce a single example of
"ARAs" referring to what I referred to--and which you snipped--
which is just another form of dishonesty.

>-- by either ARAs
>or professional journals for battery egg producers. Why do you
>think chickens are debeaked (have the tips of their beaks burned
>off )? So they won't kill other chickens in the same cage
>by pecking them to death.

Do you believe it prevents chickens from killing each other? If
so, how exactly do you think it does so?

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:39:44 -0500, "Miller" > wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:33:20 -0500, "Miller"

> wrote:
>>
>> >It just blows my mind how hot certain people get over this particular

>issue.
>> >
>> >Scott

>> Over which particular issue? If you mean cage free eggs
>> in particular, think about this situation: There are four hens
>> in a cage that is so low they can't flap their wings. They don't
>> have much room to move around at all. They are on wire
>> mesh, so they can't scratch or take a dust bath. If you were
>> in such a position you might think it was overly restrictive. I
>> think it is. Let's go on with it a bit to something I never see
>> the "ARAs" point out, but it's a huge factor to me: sometimes
>> one or more of the hens will single out and beat on another
>> hen. Sometimes the abused hen will pull her head out of the
>> corner, and head toward another part of the cage...one of
>> the abusers will beat on her and send her another direction
>> ...another abuser will beat on her over there...she will try to
>> get away from them but can't, so will eventually burry her
>> head in a corner again to keep it from getting beaten on.
>> Every time she pulls her head out she gets beaten on, and
>> she lives in fear all of the time. If you just don't care about
>> things like that, then that's just the type of person you are
>> and you're not likely to ever understand why any people
>> would consider it significant.
>> Do you think there are any animal related situations
>> that people should get hot about? If so, which ones?

>I mean, go out and do something about it then, for crissakes! Do you think
>ranting on internet newsgroups about anything ever does any good?
>
>Scott

Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. Some animals
benefit from being raised for food. Some of them don't.

Can you answer my questions now?