MEow

Default I have a small iron defficiency- which food should I eat?

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Rubystars of SBC
http://yahoo.sbc.com said:

>That's exactly why this person's case is raising concern. Personally I think
>a person's health should come as a higher priority than the life of another
>animal.

He follows a vegan diet for health reasons, himself. Makes it a bit
odd, the way he talks about how meat, dairy products, and such, are
healthy, when he avoids those things for health reasons, himself (he
has said so, himself, directly, so I'm not making any assumptions
here; I'm just pointing out what he has said, himself).
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
MEow

http://yahoo.sbc.com said:

>Well chocolate isn't bad for people if they don't eat too much of it. If
>it wasn't fattening and full of sugar I'd eat it every day. *L* But I know
>that's not really healthy.

I don't crave big amounts (especially not if it's the stuff with 70%
cocoa), but the craving is quite strong around that time, even if
relatively small amount suffices. I've also agreed with myself to not
buy chocolate when it's not that time of month, or my birthday, and I
keep it fairly well.

>> BTW: I found a pretty good non-dairy "yoghurt", which wasn't overly
>> sweet, as non-dairy "yoghurt" tends to be, today. It was called
>> "Beneviva", in case anyone wanted to know. Beneviva also makes a
>> non-dairy "cheese" spread, which I think is quite good too.

>Cool.

Yeah, I'm thinking of writing them to ask if they'd think if selling
their "yoghurt" in cartons of 1 liter, like ordinary yoghurt. That
would be really nice, and I imagine other people would like it too.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Benighted lot, them RLers." Sn!pe (Sheddie)
Rubystars

"MEow" > wrote in message
> While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Rubystars of SBC
> http://yahoo.sbc.com said:
>
> >That's exactly why this person's case is raising concern. Personally I

think
> >a person's health should come as a higher priority than the life of

another
> >animal.
> >

> He follows a vegan diet for health reasons, himself. Makes it a bit
> odd, the way he talks about how meat, dairy products, and such, are
> healthy, when he avoids those things for health reasons, himself (he
> has said so, himself, directly, so I'm not making any assumptions
> here; I'm just pointing out what he has said, himself).

Well I don't think they're poison but I do think that if someone eats too
many foods loaded with cholesterol it can't be good for them.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"MEow" > wrote in message
<snip>
> Yeah, I'm thinking of writing them to ask if they'd think if selling
> their "yoghurt" in cartons of 1 liter, like ordinary yoghurt. That
> would be really nice, and I imagine other people would like it too.

I wish there was a health food shop that carried things like that in my
neighborhood. Kroger has a health foods section but they don't get much more
exotic than soy milk, tofu, sea salt, and sugar substitutes, along with
energy bars and things like that. I mean they have some soy cheese but it
has casein so that doesn't help vegans too much were they to try to shop
there.

I'd like to be able to go in and buy the stuff I've heard about in this
group but at the moment it looks like ordering things online would be my
only option as far as that goes.

The only health store I've been able to find sells a bunch of quack
"homeopathic" crap and "coral calcium" crap and hardly anything that's
actually useful. I think the only food product they even carry is Stevia.

-Rubystars

usual suspect

The message from kirchoff apparently expired, so I went to Google for
it. I'm addressing it all (i.e., my replies to kirchoff, Rubystars, and
the large androgynous spawn of leftist Danes) here.

me.kirchoff wrote:
> Why do you continue to encourage the consumption of meat?

I encouraged the OP to see a dietician. I also advised someone who has
bonafide health problems to eat in a manner which is most likely to
bring about good health rather than one which will lead to further
complications. Too bad your hypersensitivities and dietary extremism
leads you to care less about the OP and his/her wellness.

With repect to diabetes, including a protein-rich food with
carbohydrate-rich foods is one way to keep the glycemic load of the
carbs from causing a rapid glucose spike. The iron deficiency the OP
really complicates this. Phytate-rich foods like legumes and soy, though
protein-rich and low GI, will further *prevent* iron absorption. The OP
needs iron fairly quickly and bio-availability is a factor since he or
she is already borderline anemic.

> There are plenty of non-flesh sources of iron, and even though
> non-heme iron is not as readily absorbed as heme,

Thanks for admitting this. Now tell us why the OP should only consume
the least bio-available form rather than gradually find a healthful
balance between heme and non-heme sources? Do you encourage people to go
cold turkey when they "go vegan" or do you encourage gradualism? What's
the ****ing difference in this case where someone has underlying medical
issues?

> the absorption rate can be improved by eating a good source of Vitamin
> C in addition.

Can it be? Consider the following study:
Effect of ascorbic acid intake on nonheme-iron absorption from a
complete diet....

CONCLUSIONS: The facilitating effect of vitamin C on iron
absorption from a complete diet is far less pronounced than that
from single meals. These findings may explain why several prior
studies did not show a significant effect on iron status of
prolonged supplementation with vitamin C.
http://tinyurl.com/wwpr

The OP is already borderline anemic. How much longer do you want him or
her to try to self-medicate with an extremist diet before you agree it's
okay for him or her to consume something beneficial for his or her
underlying medical condition? The OP already has diabetes, which is a
pretty serious imbalance of the hormone insulin. If the OP wants to be
vegan for some reason, let him or her do it with professional guidance.

> I agree that she should consult a professional given the complications
> involved with diabetes

What about the borderline anemia?

> but your constant pleas for consuming animal products is absurd;

That's not my position, dipstick. I advise (a) moderation and (b)
guidance. I'm recommending moderation -- a concept apparently at odds
with activists pushing dietary extremism.

> veganism is first and foremost a matter of ethics,

It's not ethical. Veganism is mere hypocrisy. Your diet still kills
animals (animals are killed in the course of farming; from pesticides
and herbicides; during transportation and storage; during processing),
you just don't eat animal flesh. Your cotton clothing comes from the
most toxic form of agriculture in the world. Your hemp clothing, too,
involves mass animal casualties. Wanna play the counting game and rely
on moral relativism to make your claim? I'll win that one, too.

> *not* health.

Health should be one's only criterion for any significant dietary change.

Rubystars wrote:
>>That's exactly why this person's case is raising concern. Personally I think
>>a person's health should come as a higher priority than the life of another
>>animal.

I agree, which is why I've been steadfast that the OP needs professional
guidance if he/she is going to make radical dietary changes. In the
interim, the OP will be better off employing moderation.

Moo wrote:
> He follows a vegan diet for health reasons, himself. Makes it a bit
> odd, the way he talks about how meat, dairy products, and such, are
> healthy,

Knock on wood. I don't have diabetes or an iron deficiency. If I had
anything out of balance, and meat or dairy could restore that balance, I
would consume it.

> when he avoids those things for health reasons,

Non sequitur. I could eat meat (if I liked it) and dairy (outside of
allergy season) and remain healthy. The issues isn't the animals, it's
saturated fat. I think I've been pretty consistent on that -- you'd know
that if you'd paid attention to my remarks about all the deep fried
recipes on afv lately. Anyway, consider the fact that I abstain from all
products made with shortening, margarine, hydrogenated vegetable oils,
and tropical oils. I would still abstain from those even were I to eat
animal products again.

> himself (he
> has said so, himself, directly, so I'm not making any assumptions
> here; I'm just pointing out what he has said, himself).

You're ignorant, you fat unshaven cow. Lean meats can be part of a
healthy diet, particularly for people with insulin issues (resistance or
diabetes) and various types of anemia (B12 or iron deficiency).

usual suspect

Rubystars wrote:
> Well I don't think they're poison but I do think that if someone eats too
> many foods loaded with cholesterol it can't be good for them.

The issue isn't cholesterol, it's saturated fat. Many high cholesterol
foods, like fish, are beneficial for reducing LDL. From an earlier
thread (remember?):

Cholesterol from food doesn't have a direct link to *serum* cholesterol
levels. The more important culprits in raising serum LDL (the bad
cholesterol) are saturated fats and transfats, regardless of their source.

It's true that much of the fat from animal-based foods is saturated.
Many vegetable oils and related products are also saturated naturally or
artificially (hydrogenation). Many of the recipes offered on afv call
for margarine, which usually contains saturated fats and/or transfats.
This is one of my chief complaints. It makes no difference if one avoids
the cholesterol found in animal products if one's diet *still* contains
saturated fats. Those sat-fats and trans-fats will elevate one's
cholesterol levels whether one eats animal foods or not.

Unsaturated fats, be they from vegetable oils like olive or canola or
from animal fats like the healthy ones found in oily fish like salmon,
elevate HDL (good cholesterol) which helps transport and reduce LDL.
Fiber is also beneficial in controlling LDL levels. The distinction on
controlling cholesterol, specifically LDL, should be on dietary fats,
not on dietary cholesterol.

In general, saturated fats tend to raise the serum-cholesterol
level, while unsaturated fats and fiber tend to lower the
serum-cholesterol level. Therefore, it is prudent to lower one’s
intake of saturated fat, use your fat allowance primarily for
unsaturated fats, and eat more high-fiber foods. Foods which
contain saturated fat, unsaturated fat, or fiber may or may not
contain cholesterol.
http://www.unm.edu/~shc1/cholesterol.html

Also, meat DOES contain many vitamins and minerals, some of which are
deficient or missing in a veg-n diet. Eating fish and lean cuts is much
healthier than consuming foods with hydrogenated oils or naturally
saturated vegetable oils.
------
Let me further add that some saturated fats have beneficial qualities:

Stearic Acid in Chocolate and Its Neutral Effect on Cholesterol

The fat in chocolate, derived from cocoa butter, contains the
saturated fatty acids, stearic acid and palmitic acid, as well
as the unsaturated fatty acid, oleic acid.

Although, historically, it was found that SFA may raise
cholesterol, it has become apparent that all SFA do not have the
same hypercholesterolemic effect (1). In fact, research
indicates that stearic acid is unique. Unlike other saturated
fats, stearic acid may have a neutral effect on blood
cholesterol similar to oleic acid, which is important when
considering maintaining cardiovascular health (2). A proposed
mechanism for the similarity between oleic acid and stearic acid
is the rapid conversion of stearic acid to oleic acid by action
of a delta-9 desaturase in the liver (3).
http://www.chocolateinfo.com/sr/sr_article_11.jsp

And:
Unlike most saturated fats, stearic acid does not seem to
increase cholesterol levels in the blood, because liver enzymes
convert it to an unsaturated fat during digestion.
http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/stearic_acid.html

Stearic acid is found in most animal fats. I wouldn't call beef or
chocolate health foods, but they're acceptably healthy for most people
in moderation.

And finally (more to **** off vegans who make unfounded health claims),
here's more information on the benefits of beef from a beef industry
site. Note the info on CLAs (anti-cancer benefits) and especially the
part about iron.

http://www.betterbeef.com/heart_friendly_enjoy.html

Peter

You have a huge brain 'defficiency'

sgdunn

Something else to be aware of is that calcium and magnesium reduce iron
absorption. If you're taking a calcium or magnesium supplement, go off it
until your iron deficiency is eliminated.
Sulfur increases iron loss via the kidneys, in addition to increasing
losses of calcium, magnesium, zinc, and other odds and ends. The main
dietery sources of sulphur are the methionine and cystine in protein. On
average, plant protein is lower in sulfur than animal protein, but it still
has a considerable amount. Corn, rice, and wheat protein is high in sulfur.
If you've been purposely eating foods high in protein, as many vegans seem
to think they have to, stop.
Tannins (which are found at high levels in tea) reduce iron absorption.
In addition, phytic acid (found in all seeds, including beans, nuts and
whole grains) also reduces iron absorption by bonding with iron molecules.
(Phytates can't be absorbed. Obviously, eliminating it from your diet's not
an option, but it something to keep in mind, especially if you've been
trying to eat lots of beans, tofu, and whole grain foods.
Oxalic acid bonds with iron as well, reducing its absorbability. It's
found in all foods at varying levels. It's not as big a deal as some people
think it is, but I'd suggest that you not eat cooked or frozen spinich.
(Because of its high oxalic acid content, and because much of its iron hass
already bonded to oxalic acid either during cooking or while the leaves are
alive, cooked spinich actually reduces iron absorption.) "§odapop"
58...

http://animal-ingredients.hypermart.net/
> the web site is a booklet that is for vegans so they will know about

animal
> ingredients and what to avoid.
>
> "IRON is for proper formation of red blood cells and regulation of body
> processes. Vegetable sources of iron are not as easily absorbed as animal
> sources, but a good intake of vitamin C will enhance absorption. Iron can
> be found in: prunes, whole grain cereals, black treacle, raisins, nuts,
> leafy green vegetables, sesame seeds, soya flour, pulses, cocoa, curry
> powder, wholemeal bread, molasses, dried fruits (especially apricots and
> figs). Cook in cast iron."
>
> Here are a couple of other web pages that might be of help
> http://www.veganhealth.org/shv/ (click on the Iron link)
> http://www.viva.org.uk/Viva!Guides/nutshell-2.htm
> and
> http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/
> (again click onthe Iron link)
>
> Here is a web page with Vegan acceptable vitamins and iron suppliments
> http://www.veganessentials.com/front.html
>
> Hope this helps!
> peace!
> sodapop
> ((=-0

MEow

http://yahoo.sbc.com said:

>The only health store I've been able to find sells a bunch of quack
>"homeopathic" crap and "coral calcium" crap and hardly anything that's
>actually useful. I think the only food product they even carry is Stevia.

Yeah, I still can't get over the irony of health food shops which
don't sell food. I can be hard to find a good health food shop in some
places. When I lived in Denmark, the one I found was 45 minutes away,
by train, but it was close to where my mother lived, so I combined 2
visits. Here, there's a pretty good one about 15 minutes away, by bus
(plus 10-15 minutes walking to the bus), and a really good one further
away, by train. When I go to the second one, I tend to combine it with
a visit to the Asian shop, my favourite cafe, or something like that,
and make a trip out of it. If you manage to find a good health food
shop, which is a bit away, maybe you have the time to do something
similar once in a while. Otherwise, ordering online might be your only
option.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Benighted lot, them RLers." Sn!pe (Sheddie)
MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, sgdunn of Cox
Communications said:

> Oxalic acid bonds with iron as well, reducing its absorbability. It's
>found in all foods at varying levels. It's not as big a deal as some people
>think it is, but I'd suggest that you not eat cooked or frozen spinich.
>(Because of its high oxalic acid content, and because much of its iron hass
>already bonded to oxalic acid either during cooking or while the leaves are
>alive, cooked spinich actually reduces iron absorption.) "§odapop"

Does the idea that you shouldn't reheat spinach, or at least not
freeze it again once you've thawed it, hold any truth to it?
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Benighted lot, them RLers." Sn!pe (Sheddie)

usual suspect

sgdunn top-posted (dammit):
> Something else to be aware of is that calcium and magnesium reduce iron
> absorption. If you're taking a calcium or magnesium supplement, go off it
> until your iron deficiency is eliminated.

Better yet, ask a dietician who has access to his/her last blood
profile. Many people who have one deficiency often have another. What
good is it to increase one mineral at the expense of another? You people
would amuse me if someone's health weren't at stake here.

> Sulfur increases iron loss via the kidneys, in addition to increasing
> losses of calcium, magnesium, zinc, and other odds and ends. The main
> dietery sources of sulphur are the methionine and cystine in protein. On
> average, plant protein is lower in sulfur than animal protein, but it still
> has a considerable amount. Corn, rice, and wheat protein is high in sulfur.
> If you've been purposely eating foods high in protein, as many vegans seem
> to think they have to, stop.

Geez, you perverted fruitcake. The OP needs a dietician. He or she has
at least two underlying health issues, both of which are too serious for
a bunch of vegan activists on usenet to play doctor. One of the first
things a dietician is going to stress is how the OP can control his/her
diabetes. Protein is an important part of reducing glycemic load in
diabetics, asshole. Stop playing with someone else's health.

> Tannins (which are found at high levels in tea) reduce iron absorption.
> In addition, phytic acid (found in all seeds, including beans, nuts and
> whole grains) also reduces iron absorption by bonding with iron molecules.
> (Phytates can't be absorbed. Obviously, eliminating it from your diet's not
> an option, but it something to keep in mind, especially if you've been
> trying to eat lots of beans, tofu, and whole grain foods.
> Oxalic acid bonds with iron as well, reducing its absorbability. It's
> found in all foods at varying levels. It's not as big a deal as some people
> think it is, but I'd suggest that you not eat cooked or frozen spinich.
> (Because of its high oxalic acid content, and because much of its iron hass
> already bonded to oxalic acid either during cooking or while the leaves are
> alive, cooked spinich actually reduces iron absorption.)

So what can the OP eat, Dr Einstein? Remember, he/she has diabetes as
well as being borderline anemic. Come on, be a good little quack and
give him/her some menu ideas.

Rubystars

"MEow" > wrote in message
> While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Rubystars of SBC
> http://yahoo.sbc.com said:
>
> >The only health store I've been able to find sells a bunch of quack
> >"homeopathic" crap and "coral calcium" crap and hardly anything that's
> >actually useful. I think the only food product they even carry is Stevia.
> >

> Yeah, I still can't get over the irony of health food shops which
> don't sell food.

Well they're fine if you like duck, because they're full of quack products.

>I can be hard to find a good health food shop in some
> places. When I lived in Denmark, the one I found was 45 minutes away,
> by train, but it was close to where my mother lived, so I combined 2
> visits. Here, there's a pretty good one about 15 minutes away, by bus
> (plus 10-15 minutes walking to the bus), and a really good one further
> away, by train. When I go to the second one, I tend to combine it with
> a visit to the Asian shop, my favourite cafe, or something like that,
> and make a trip out of it.

That sounds fun.

>If you manage to find a good health food
> shop, which is a bit away, maybe you have the time to do something
> similar once in a while. Otherwise, ordering online might be your only
> option.

Yeah, I think it probably would be.

-Rubystars

MEow

http://yahoo.sbc.com said:

>>I can be hard to find a good health food shop in some
>> places. When I lived in Denmark, the one I found was 45 minutes away,
>> by train, but it was close to where my mother lived, so I combined 2
>> visits. Here, there's a pretty good one about 15 minutes away, by bus
>> (plus 10-15 minutes walking to the bus), and a really good one further
>> away, by train. When I go to the second one, I tend to combine it with
>> a visit to the Asian shop, my favourite cafe, or something like that,
>> and make a trip out of it.

>That sounds fun.

It tends to be, though there's some danger in going to an area which
has all of those thing, and a veggie-restaurant, so I don't do it too
often ;0)
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Benighted lot, them RLers." Sn!pe (Sheddie)
MEow

http://yahoo.sbc.com said:

>Well I don't think they're poison but I do think that if someone eats too
>many foods loaded with cholesterol it can't be good for them.

Well, you don't first say that you avoid animal products for
health-reasons, and then tell other people to include same in their
diet, for health reasons, so there's no contradiction there.

There's many people who go by meat in moderation, and if it works for
them, fine by me. People should eat what they think is right for them.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Benighted lot, them RLers." Sn!pe (Sheddie)
Rubystars

"MEow" > wrote in message
news
> While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Rubystars of SBC
> http://yahoo.sbc.com said:
>
> >Well I don't think they're poison but I do think that if someone eats too
> >many foods loaded with cholesterol it can't be good for them.
> >

> Well, you don't first say that you avoid animal products for
> health-reasons, and then tell other people to include same in their
> diet, for health reasons, so there's no contradiction there.

What might be healthy for one person might not for another.

For example, when my grandmother was sick and she was losing weight even
though she was drinking ensure and eating toast, the nurses told us to give
her ice cream mixed in with the ensure to add in extra calories. That did
the trick and she went back to her normal weight.

Now we know that ice cream generally isn't considered health food, but in
that case it was healthy and it helped her to recover.

In general people should avoid consuming too much red meat and probably not
eat too much meat anyway. However, for someone with an iron deficiency and
who knows what else, a big juicy steak might be what helps them, even if
it's generally considered to be an unhealthy choice.

Someone who is allergic to peanut butter and who avoids it for health
reasons, may recommend peanut butter to someone else if they need a little
extra protein, for example.

> There's many people who go by meat in moderation, and if it works for
> them, fine by me. People should eat what they think is right for them.

Yeah. I'd like to eat less meat than I do right now. That's why I'm looking
into a lot more vegetarian type recipes.

-Rubystars

MEow

http://yahoo.sbc.com said:

>What might be healthy for one person might not for another.
>
>For example, when my grandmother was sick and she was losing weight even
>though she was drinking ensure and eating toast, the nurses told us to give
>her ice cream mixed in with the ensure to add in extra calories. That did
>the trick and she went back to her normal weight.
>
>Now we know that ice cream generally isn't considered health food, but in
>that case it was healthy and it helped her to recover.
>
>In general people should avoid consuming too much red meat and probably not
>eat too much meat anyway. However, for someone with an iron deficiency and
>who knows what else, a big juicy steak might be what helps them, even if
>it's generally considered to be an unhealthy choice.
>
>Someone who is allergic to peanut butter and who avoids it for health
>reasons, may recommend peanut butter to someone else if they need a little
>extra protein, for example.

I see your point.

>> There's many people who go by meat in moderation, and if it works for
>> them, fine by me. People should eat what they think is right for them.

>Yeah. I'd like to eat less meat than I do right now. That's why I'm looking
>into a lot more vegetarian type recipes.

Good move. I'm trying to cut down on sugar, myself, as it's the main
Bad Thing in my diet.

I don't know if eating lots of clementines goes against that, but I do
enjoy clementines, and the supermarkets have begun selling them now. I
don't know how it is where you are, but it's a christmassy thing here;
outside November/December you hardly ever see them.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Benighted lot, them RLers." Sn!pe (Sheddie)
Rubystars

"MEow" > wrote in message
<snip>

> >> There's many people who go by meat in moderation, and if it works for
> >> them, fine by me. People should eat what they think is right for them.

> >Yeah. I'd like to eat less meat than I do right now. That's why I'm

looking
> >into a lot more vegetarian type recipes.
> >

> Good move. I'm trying to cut down on sugar, myself, as it's the main
> Bad Thing in my diet.
>
> I don't know if eating lots of clementines goes against that, but I do
> enjoy clementines, and the supermarkets have begun selling them now. I
> don't know how it is where you are, but it's a christmassy thing here;
> outside November/December you hardly ever see them.

I had to go look them up to find out what clementines were, but I see
they're mandarin oranges. A lot of people here like to eat citrus fruits and
nuts this time of year.

-Rubystars

usual suspect

Rubystars wrote:
<snip>
> In general people should avoid consuming too much red meat and probably not
> eat too much meat anyway.

It's not too big of an issue if it's lean. Not all "red meat" is the same.

> However, for someone with an iron deficiency and
> who knows what else, a big juicy steak might be what helps them, even if
> it's generally considered to be an unhealthy choice.

Even a little meat in moderation should benefit someone with anemia. One
of the studies I didn't cite before showed that nonheme iron was
absorbed more easily in the presence of heme iron from meat. The study
showed that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth of a pound) of
pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on 50g and
75g trials).

http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

<snip>