MrFalafel

Default Anyone brave enough to try Uncle Bill's Saurkraut Soup?

This looks totally weird but is also intriguing. It's from and old
Polish immigrant who lived with the New Farm folks and added this
traditional recipe when they wrote their cookbook. Anyone want to try
making it?

Uncle Bill's Saurkraut Soup

8 cups saurkraut
8 cups water
1 1/4 cups raisins
2 cups raisins
1 cup prunes, cut into small pieces
2 thin slices lemon
1/4 tsp salt

Simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
Serve hot with tiny boiled potatoes in the soup.
usual suspect

MrFalafel wrote:
> This looks totally weird but is also intriguing. It's from and old
> Polish immigrant who lived with the New Farm folks and added this
> traditional recipe when they wrote their cookbook. Anyone want to try
> making it?

It isn't really so strange. Bavarians also eat a sweeter sauerkraut
(with apples and spics like caraway, cinnamon, etc.) than other Germans
seem to prefer. The Russians season theirs with cinnamon, allspice,
and/or cloves. BTW (and I know you still have me killfiled so maybe
someone can repost with my question), what's the deal with the raisins?
Why not just 3¾ cups?

> Uncle Bill's Saurkraut Soup
>
> 8 cups saurkraut
> 8 cups water
> 1 1/4 cups raisins
> 2 cups raisins
> 1 cup prunes, cut into small pieces
> 2 thin slices lemon
> 1/4 tsp salt
>
> Simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
> Serve hot with tiny boiled potatoes in the soup.

Rubystars

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> This looks totally weird but is also intriguing. It's from and old
> Polish immigrant who lived with the New Farm folks and added this
> traditional recipe when they wrote their cookbook. Anyone want to try
> making it?
>
> Uncle Bill's Saurkraut Soup
>
> 8 cups saurkraut
> 8 cups water
> 1 1/4 cups raisins
> 2 cups raisins
> 1 cup prunes, cut into small pieces
> 2 thin slices lemon
> 1/4 tsp salt
>
> Simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
> Serve hot with tiny boiled potatoes in the soup.

I'd try it if it weren't for the raisins and prunes. :S

-Rubystars