FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   Anyone brave enough to try Uncle Bill's Saurkraut Soup? (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/18365-anyone-brave-enough-try.html)

MrFalafel 15-11-2003 09:30 AM

Anyone brave enough to try Uncle Bill's Saurkraut Soup?

This looks totally weird but is also intriguing. It's from and old
Polish immigrant who lived with the New Farm folks and added this
traditional recipe when they wrote their cookbook. Anyone want to try
making it?

Uncle Bill's Saurkraut Soup

8 cups saurkraut
8 cups water
1 1/4 cups raisins
2 cups raisins
1 cup prunes, cut into small pieces
2 thin slices lemon
1/4 tsp salt

Simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
Serve hot with tiny boiled potatoes in the soup.

usual suspect 15-11-2003 03:52 PM

MrFalafel wrote:
> This looks totally weird but is also intriguing. It's from and old
> Polish immigrant who lived with the New Farm folks and added this
> traditional recipe when they wrote their cookbook. Anyone want to try
> making it?

It isn't really so strange. Bavarians also eat a sweeter sauerkraut
(with apples and spics like caraway, cinnamon, etc.) than other Germans
seem to prefer. The Russians season theirs with cinnamon, allspice,
and/or cloves. BTW (and I know you still have me killfiled so maybe
someone can repost with my question), what's the deal with the raisins?
Why not just 3¾ cups?

Rubystars 15-11-2003 05:23 PM

Anyone brave enough to try Uncle Bill's Saurkraut Soup?

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> This looks totally weird but is also intriguing. It's from and old
> Polish immigrant who lived with the New Farm folks and added this
> traditional recipe when they wrote their cookbook. Anyone want to try
> making it?
>
> Uncle Bill's Saurkraut Soup
>
> 8 cups saurkraut
> 8 cups water
> 1 1/4 cups raisins
> 2 cups raisins
> 1 cup prunes, cut into small pieces
> 2 thin slices lemon
> 1/4 tsp salt
>
> Simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
> Serve hot with tiny boiled potatoes in the soup.

I'd try it if it weren't for the raisins and prunes. :S

-Rubystars

Woof Ridge 16-11-2003 02:13 PM

Anyone brave enough to try Uncle Bill's Saurkraut Soup?

In article >,
ps says...
> BTW (and I know you still have me killfiled so maybe
> someone can repost with my question), what's the deal with the raisins?
> Why not just 3? cups?
>
> > Uncle Bill's Saurkraut Soup
> >
> > 8 cups saurkraut
> > 8 cups water
> > 1 1/4 cups raisins
> > 2 cups raisins
> > 1 cup prunes, cut into small pieces
> > 2 thin slices lemon
> > 1/4 tsp salt
> >
> > Simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
> > Serve hot with tiny boiled potatoes in the soup.

I wonder if you're supposed to cook one set of raisins and garnish/add
late the other set, or if one of the two sets is really dried currants
or some other less well-known dried fruit ingredient.

Woof