MrFalafel

Default Onion Soup

Onion Soup

5 cups onions, sliced in rings
5 tbsp oil
7 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 tsp tarragon
2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3-4 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes

Slowly fry onions in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until
they're well browned. Meanwhile put water on to boil in a big soup
pot. When the onions are cooked, add to the soup pot, then add
tarragon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to
a simmer for 10 minutes. Add soy sauce and nutritional yeast flakes
right at the end. You can make a lot of this soup and refrigerate it.
Sitting overnight enhances the flavour.
MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, MrFalafel of
http://groups.google.com said:

>Onion Soup

<snip>

>3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes

I want onion soup, but I can't buy nutritional yeast anywhere. Can't I
replace it something?
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
usual suspect

Someone who's not on Nikitta's killfile please paste the following to
her. See what you lose when you resort to sticking your head in the sand?

>>Onion Soup

> <snip>
>
>>3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes

> I want onion soup, but I can't buy nutritional yeast anywhere. Can't I
> replace it something?

Not really, but you can use a bit of your Marmite in the broth.

MrFalafel

MEow > wrote in message >. ..
> While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, MrFalafel of
> http://groups.google.com said:
>
> >Onion Soup
> >

> <snip>
>
> >3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
> >

> I want onion soup, but I can't buy nutritional yeast anywhere. Can't I
> replace it something?

Here's a more basic Onion Soup recipe that I used to make years ago.

French Onion Soup:

Ingredients:
4 cups of thinly sliced onions
1 Tbl flour
16 oz vegetable stock
3 Tbl non-hydrogenated margarine or vegetable oil
1 tsp or so of unrefined sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
The whole trick here is to cook the onions slowly. The longer it
takes to cook, the better it's gonna be.

First, melt the margarine or oil into a large saucepan and heat it
over a medium low burner. While that's heating up, hack up about 4 or
5 onions, finely, to create 4 cups of very thinly sliced onions. Dump
the onions into the simmering pan. Sauté them over lowish heat,
extremely slowly, for about 30 minutes (yes, this is slow, but time is
the key to making truly good soup). When the onions are deeply brown
add a good pinch of sugar and a palm full of flour and continue to
sauté for another couple of minutes. Add the veg stock and simmer for
another 30 minutes. Serve with big hunks toasted garlic bread.

I've seen 'Marigold Engevita Nutritional Yeast Flakes' sold all over
europe. I bet if you asked your local healthfood shop to order some
they could get it for you. It looks like this
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/579698b.jpg
MEow

http://groups.google.com said:

>Here's a more basic Onion Soup recipe that I used to make years ago.

Thank you!

> While that's heating up, hack up about 4 or
>5 onions, finely, to create 4 cups of very thinly sliced onions.

Is that another way of saying "Slice 4-5 onions very thinly"?

>I've seen 'Marigold Engevita Nutritional Yeast Flakes' sold all over
>europe. I bet if you asked your local healthfood shop to order some
>they could get it for you. It looks like this
>http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/579698b.jpg

I'll try to keep an eye out for it, but not knowing what it's called
in Swedish makes it practically impossible to ask for it.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"I get tired of being told what we are supposed to be. There is a
man or woman out there to appreciate every kind of man or woman.
Be yourself." ClaySkye (a.a.)

MrFalafel

MEow > wrote in message >. ..
> While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, MrFalafel of
> http://groups.google.com said:
>
> >Here's a more basic Onion Soup recipe that I used to make years ago.
> >

> Thank you!
>
> > While that's heating up, hack up about 4 or
> >5 onions, finely, to create 4 cups of very thinly sliced onions.

> Is that another way of saying "Slice 4-5 onions very thinly"?

Not really. Some onions are big some are small. The american measuring
term 'cup' is loosely based around the average tea cup. Fill up 4 or 5
teacups with very finely sliced onions....

> >I've seen 'Marigold Engevita Nutritional Yeast Flakes' sold all over
> >europe. I bet if you asked your local healthfood shop to order some
> >they could get it for you. It looks like this
> >http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/579698b.jpg

> I'll try to keep an eye out for it, but not knowing what it's called
> in Swedish makes it practically impossible to ask for it.

How about printing out the above .jpg and bringing it into the shop
and showing it to them?
Rubystars

A cup is 8 oz.

MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Rubystars of SBC
http://yahoo.sbc.com said:

>A cup is 8 oz.

I know. I use an on-line converter for that kind of things.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"I get tired of being told what we are supposed to be. There is a
man or woman out there to appreciate every kind of man or woman.
Be yourself." ClaySkye (a.a.)
MEow

http://groups.google.com said:

>> > While that's heating up, hack up about 4 or
>> >5 onions, finely, to create 4 cups of very thinly sliced onions.

>> Is that another way of saying "Slice 4-5 onions very thinly"?

>Not really. Some onions are big some are small. The american measuring
>term 'cup' is loosely based around the average tea cup. Fill up 4 or 5
>teacups with very finely sliced onions....

Okay. I'll do that.

>> >I've seen 'Marigold Engevita Nutritional Yeast Flakes' sold all over
>> >europe. I bet if you asked your local healthfood shop to order some
>> >they could get it for you. It looks like this
>> >http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/579698b.jpg

>> I'll try to keep an eye out for it, but not knowing what it's called
>> in Swedish makes it practically impossible to ask for it.

>How about printing out the above .jpg and bringing it into the shop
>and showing it to them?

Good idea. Thanks for helping me!
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"I get tired of being told what we are supposed to be. There is a
man or woman out there to appreciate every kind of man or woman.
Be yourself." ClaySkye (a.a.)

Onion soup mix Ophelia[_14_] General Cooking 59 31-08-2016 05:45 PM
Onion soup mix Ophelia General Cooking 1 31-08-2005 09:08 PM
Env. onion soup mix? Larry G General Cooking 3 03-04-2005 05:31 AM
Env. onion soup mix? aem General Cooking 0 02-04-2005 05:45 PM
Six Onion Soup RAY Recipes (moderated) 0 14-06-2004 06:21 PM