The Bard

Default Just looking for a little help with recipes

Have a friends who took a vacation in Mexico a few months ago and one of
them has basically fallen in love with Mexican food. He’s asked me for
some help with recipes for a few reasons, like him living in Australia,
being vegetarian as well as having no internet access.

So I’m doing my best to rewrite a few dozen recipes for him and while I
have no problems with converting the temp’s, measurements and
substations on items he won’t be able to find but,I do have a few as far
as ingredients go.

So, here’s the deal, I’m not vegetarian but he’s asked for my help so...

Does anyone have a few good ideas on what I can use in place of meat
besides things such as TVP and “gardenburger” style products which he
doesn’t care for? I do know that he eats fish, eggs, and dairy but I'm
not about to just send him fish recipes.

Thanks in Advance,
James >

Rubystars

The Bard > wrote in message ink.net>...
> Have a friends who took a vacation in Mexico a few months ago and one of
> them has basically fallen in love with Mexican food. He?s asked me for
> some help with recipes for a few reasons, like him living in Australia,
> being vegetarian as well as having no internet access.
>
> So I?m doing my best to rewrite a few dozen recipes for him and while I
> have no problems with converting the temp?s, measurements and
> substations on items he won?t be able to find but,I do have a few as far
> as ingredients go.
>
> So, here?s the deal, I?m not vegetarian but he?s asked for my help so...
>
> Does anyone have a few good ideas on what I can use in place of meat
> besides things such as TVP and ?gardenburger? style products which he
> doesn?t care for? I do know that he eats fish, eggs, and dairy but I'm
> not about to just send him fish recipes.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> James >

Buy some flour or corn tortillas, toast them lightly over the burners
on the oven by putting them on the metal rack that you usually put
pots and pans on (toast one side, then the other, flip with tongs so
you don't burn your fingers). Be careful not to start a fire or to
turn the tortillas black. This will make the tortillas a little crispy
and tastier. Needless to say this only works on a gas stove, not an
electric one, as far as I know.

Fill the tortillas with vegetarian refried beans (pinto or black work
well, and avoid products that may contain lard, as some refried beans
in cans do, that's why I said "Vegetarian refried beans.") fresh diced
Tomatoes, sauted onions, lettuce, and salsa (Pace, Old El Paso, and
Ortega are good brands). You can also add cheese: shredded cheddar
works great.

Boiled eggs are a great meat substitute in some recipes, as well as
tofu (try extra firm tofu, marinated in a tasty sauce).

-Rubystars
MrFalafel

The Bard > wrote in message ink.net>...
> Have a friends who took a vacation in Mexico a few months ago and one of
> them has basically fallen in love with Mexican food. He’s asked me for
> some help with recipes for a few reasons, like him living in Australia,
> being vegetarian as well as having no internet access.
>
> So I’m doing my best to rewrite a few dozen recipes for him and while I
> have no problems with converting the temp’s, measurements and
> substations on items he won’t be able to find but,I do have a few as far
> as ingredients go.
>
> So, here’s the deal, I’m not vegetarian but he’s asked for my help so...
>
> Does anyone have a few good ideas on what I can use in place of meat
> besides things such as TVP and “gardenburger” style products which he
> doesn’t care for? I do know that he eats fish, eggs, and dairy but I'm
> not about to just send him fish recipes.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> James >

TVP Enchiladas
http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?684

Pastel De Lenteja Con Nuez (Mexican Lentil Nut Loaf)
http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?809

Chalupas

18 small corn tortillas (about 3 inches in diameter) or larger corn
tortillas
torn into similar shapes
1/2 cup sunflower oil for frying
1 cup refried beans
2 carrots, boiled or steamed and chopped
2 small beets, boiled or steamed and chopped
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
6 radishes, chopped
3 tbsp cilantro (coriander) or parsley chopped
1 cup shredded lettuce
Salsa from a jar or better yet, homemade
Sea salt to taste

Method
Fry both sides of the tortilla in the heated oil until crispy. Drain
on paper towels and arrange on a tray. Spread tortilla with refried
beans and cover with carrots, beets, onion, radishes, cilantro,
lettuce, salsa and salt to taste.

Chiles Rellenos de Arroz Integral (Chiles Rellenos Stuffed with Brown
Rice)

4 large poblano chillies or 3 small ones, peeled, seeded and de-veined
(see below)
3 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro/coriander or parsley, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups refried beans
1 cup water
1 pint vegan sour ‘cream' (Tofutti brand or make your own)
1/2 cup green onions, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375F. To peel the chillies, first roast them on a
hot griddle or under the broiler, turning occasionally until they are
evenly blistered. Place them in plastic bag to sweat for a few
minutes, then peel. Cut a slit down the side of each chile. Remove the
seeds and veins with care (you may want to wear gloves).

Combine the rice, cilantro/coriander, green onions and salt and fill
the chiles with this mixture. Arrange the chiles in a lightly oiled
9x9inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Make a sauce be heating
the refried beans with the water, mixing well over low heat while the
chillies bake. To serve, spoon the bean sauce over each chile and
garnish with a spoonful of sour ‘cream' and some chopped green onions.

Repollo Relleno en Salsa de Chipolte (stuffed cabbage in chipolte
sauce)

1 head of cabbage
2 cups of cooked rice
1 tbsp garlic, chopped
1/4 cup almonds, blanched and peeled
1/4 cup sliced green olives
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 tsp thyme
1/4 cup chopped zucchini
sea salt to taste
Chipolte sauce:
4 medium tomatoes, roasted
3 chipolte chiles, seeded and washed
2 cloves of garlic
salt to taste

Remove the centre core and outer leaves from 1 head of cabbage and
drop it into boiling water. Lift out after a few minutes and remove
the soft leaves. Repeat, immersing the head and removing leaves until
you have separated 12 of them.

In a large bowl, mix the rice, garlic, almonds, olives, parsley,
thyme, zucchini and salt. Put a portion of this mixture into the
middle of each cabbage leaf, fold the sides over and then roll them up
into a packet. Preheat the oven to 375F.

To prepare the sauce, put the tomatoes, chillies and garlic in a
blender and puree and strain. Add the salt to taste. Pour the sauce
over the cabbage rolls, cover and bake for 20 minutes.

Chiles Rellenos de Picadillo

12 poblano chiles

Picadillo filling:
1 head of garlic
1 tbsp oregano
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 cups textured vegetable protein granules
4 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
4 tomatoes
15 green olives, chopped
20 raisins
1/2 cup croutons
1 cup salsa

Roast the chillies on a comal or in a wide, dry skillet. While they
are still hot, place them in a plastic bag to sweat until cooled.
Place them in a wide pan with cool water and rub off the scorched
skin. Cut a slit in the side of each chile to remove the veins and
seeds. Rinse well. Roast and peel the garlic.

To make the filling, blend the garlic, oregano, cloves cinnamon, black
pepper, salt, orange juice and vinegar. Hydrate the textured vegetable
protein granules in 1 3/4 cup hot water, stirring to moisten evenly.
Roast, peel, seed and chop the tomatoes. Heat the oil and sauté the
onion for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and continue to sauté for 10
more minutes. Add the green olives and raisins, stir and combine with
the textured vegetable protein. Turn off heat.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Stuff the chiles with the picadillo filling.
Arrange in an ovenproof dish and top with croutons. Bake for 20
minutes and serve with warmed salsa.

Cueza a la Veracruzana (Chayote Root Veracruz Style)

3 lbs Cueza, peeled and cut in 1 inch slices (may substitute potato)
8 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
4 lbs tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 pimentos, cut in strips
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 bay leaves
1 tsp oregano
4 tbsp margarine
1/2 cup stuffed green olives, sliced
1/2 cup capers
12 guero chillies (fresh or canned)

Boil the Cueza in salted water for 20 minutes, drain and reserve.
While the Cueza is cooking, sauté the garlic and onion in the oil for
3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the pimentos and
cook, stirring for 2 more minutes. Add the salt, black pepper, bay
leaves and oregano, cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Turn
off the heat. Preheat the oven to 375F. Sauté the Cueza in the
margarine until golden brown turning to brown both sides. Arrange the
browned Cueza in an oven proof baking dish, cover with the tomato
mixture and sprinkle with olives, capers and guero chiles on top.
Cover with banana leave (or aluminium foil) and bake for 25 minutes or
until bubbly. Serve with a green salad or sautéed spinach.

And if none of those suit them look here for loads more vegetarian
mexican style recipes:
http://vegweb.com/food/ethnic/index-...-mexican.shtml