Rubystars

Default Vegetable Soup Recipes

Easy Vegetable Soup

46 ounces tomato-vegetable
juice cocktail (like V8)
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced
tomatoes with green chile peppers
2 (15 ounce) cans mixed
vegetables, drained
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed

Directions
In a pot, mix together the tomato-vegetable juice,
diced tomatoes, mixed vegetables, kidney beans and potatoes.
Simmer over medium low heat for at least 30 minutes.

Note: I tried this and it was pretty tasty. I bet different kinds of
beans would go good with this substituted for the kidney beans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vegetable Soup

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth (original recipe calls for chicken
broth)
1 cup sliced celery
1 teaspoon basil, crushed
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 16-ounce can tomatoes in juice, chopped
1 cup sliced carrots (about 2 medium)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup frozen lima beans

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat in hot oil, cook onion and
garlic about 3 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add
tomatoes with juice, vegetable broth, carrots, celery, parsley, basil,
salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat; cover. Simmer about 20 minutes. Add lima beans and water;
bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until
beans are tender.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Easy Low Fat Chili
Serves 6

1 medium onion, chopped.
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
4 cups water, divided
1 can (16 oz) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) navy beans rinsed and drained
1 can (6 oz) salt-free tomato paste
1 can (14 oz) low-salt diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan, cook the onion and green pepper in 1/2 cup
water until tender.

2. Add beans, tomato paste and tomatoes.

3. Stir in chili powder, salt, pepper and remaining water; bring to a
boil.

4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Note: This is called chili, but it was more like a vegetable soup to
me. It tasted good though, just very tomatoey. It's good with some
cous cous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Title: WINTER SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP
Categories: Soups, Vegetarian
Yield: 6 servings

2 c Butternut squash
-or buttercup squash
-peeled, seeded & chopped
2 c Sweet potato; peeled &
-chopped
3 md Apples; peeled, cored &
-chopped
-Spartan,McIntosh or similar
-cooking apple
1 md Onion; chopped
2 c -Water or just enough to
-cover apples & veggies
1/2 ts Sea salt
1/2 ts Chinese 5 spice;or pumpkin
-pie spice*
1/4 ts Cayenne pepper

Bring the vegetables, apples and water to a boil in a saucepan on
high
heat. Reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes, or until all the
vegetables
are tender. Add the seasonings and use a blender to process the
mixture.
Heat in the saucepan again on low heat until hot. Keeps 3-5 days
refrigerated. *Original recipe by David Tinker, Vancouver chef

SERVES: 6 SOURCE: _Vegan Delights_ by Jeanne Marie Martin posted by
Anne
MacLellan

Note: I haven't tried this yet but it sounds great! I saw someone on
tv use pumpkin seeds as a garnish on pumpkin soup. I think that would
also work great for this squash soup. Since winter squash seeds are
basically identical to pumpkin seeds just prepare them the same way.
To roast the seeds wash them, dry them, coat them in a little olive
oil, sprinkle with paprika or other spices, then bake them in the oven
till they're crispy. I usually do this at 350 degrees farenheight.
John Manning

Nice recipes, thanks. Here's one I came up with the other night. It's
also a good way to sneak beans into the diet of people who claim they
don't like them. A PDF of the recipe is available at

http://electronworks.com/recipes/Squ...room_Soup.html

Summer Squash and Oyster Mushroom Soup
--------------------------------------

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 c. vegetable broth
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried thyme
pinch cayenne pepper
6-8 oz. oyster mushrooms, separated and left whole
2 lb. yellow squash, thickly sliced

2 c. soymilk
1 15oz. can beans, drained (use mild-flavored, soft beans such as
pintos or great northern)

1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped (opt.)
salt and pepper, to taste

Sauté the onion, garlic and celery in the oil until the onion is soft,
5-8 minutes. Add the broth, seasonings, mushrooms and squash and bring
to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
In a blender, puree the soymilk and beans with two cups of the soup.
Pour the puree back into the pot, add the optional parsley, and heat
gently (do not boil!) until the soup is hot. Season to taste with salt
and pepper.

Serve with crusty bread or crostini.

4 servings

Per serving: 270 calories; 13g protein; 6g fat; 39g carbohydrate; 0mg
cholesterol

Source: original recipe 1 Nov 2003

--
-John
http://electronworks.com/recipes/
Rubystars

John Manning > wrote in message news:<081120031340229581%jgmanning@mindsEXCESSprin g.com>...
> Nice recipes, thanks. Here's one I came up with the other night. It's
> also a good way to sneak beans into the diet of people who claim they
> don't like them. A PDF of the recipe is available at
>
> http://electronworks.com/recipes/Squ...room_Soup.html
>

> Summer Squash and Oyster Mushroom Soup
> --------------------------------------

Thanks sounds great.

-Rubystars
nemo

WARNING: If you're using dried kidney beans, always boil them vigorously for
at least 10 minutes before simmering, otherwise they're highly toxic. People
have died.

And most canned stuff has had most of the vitamins boiled out of it during
autoclaving. Fresh is better.

I find lots of onions and garlic essential too - fried in olive oil while
the other veggies are simmering and then they're dumped in on top. Known as
the "Classic Soup" method.

}... . . . . . . .
..

Nemo

PS: The herb mix I use is tarragon, oregano and basil; a little chilli
powder and a tsp of corriander seeds. And I always add chopped celery -
gives it a nice tang. Try it.

Rubystars > wrote in message
om...
> Easy Vegetable Soup
>
> 46 ounces tomato-vegetable
> juice cocktail (like V8)
> 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced
> tomatoes with green chile peppers
> 2 (15 ounce) cans mixed
> vegetables, drained
> 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
> 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
>

> Directions
> In a pot, mix together the tomato-vegetable juice,
> diced tomatoes, mixed vegetables, kidney beans and potatoes.
> Simmer over medium low heat for at least 30 minutes.
>

> Note: I tried this and it was pretty tasty. I bet different kinds of
> beans would go good with this substituted for the kidney beans.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Vegetable Soup
>
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth (original recipe calls for chicken
> broth)
> 1 cup sliced celery
> 1 teaspoon basil, crushed
> 1/8 teaspoon pepper
> 1/2 cup water
> 1/2 cup chopped onion
> 1 16-ounce can tomatoes in juice, chopped
> 1 cup sliced carrots (about 2 medium)
> 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup frozen lima beans
>
> In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat in hot oil, cook onion and
> garlic about 3 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add
> tomatoes with juice, vegetable broth, carrots, celery, parsley, basil,
> salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
>
> Reduce heat; cover. Simmer about 20 minutes. Add lima beans and water;
> bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until
> beans are tender.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~

> Easy Low Fat Chili
> Serves 6
>
> 1 medium onion, chopped.
> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
> 4 cups water, divided
> 1 can (16 oz) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
> 1 can (15 oz) navy beans rinsed and drained
> 1 can (6 oz) salt-free tomato paste
> 1 can (14 oz) low-salt diced tomatoes, undrained
> 1 tbsp chili powder
> 1 tsp salt
> 1/2 tsp pepper
>
> Directions:
>
> 1. In a large saucepan, cook the onion and green pepper in 1/2 cup
> water until tender.
>
> 2. Add beans, tomato paste and tomatoes.
>
> 3. Stir in chili powder, salt, pepper and remaining water; bring to a
> boil.
>
> 4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
>
> Note: This is called chili, but it was more like a vegetable soup to
> me. It tasted good though, just very tomatoey. It's good with some
> cous cous.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Title: WINTER SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP
> Categories: Soups, Vegetarian
> Yield: 6 servings
>
> 2 c Butternut squash
> -or buttercup squash
> -peeled, seeded & chopped
> 2 c Sweet potato; peeled &
> -chopped
> 3 md Apples; peeled, cored &
> -chopped
> -Spartan,McIntosh or similar
> -cooking apple
> 1 md Onion; chopped
> 2 c -Water or just enough to
> -cover apples & veggies
> 1/2 ts Sea salt
> 1/2 ts Chinese 5 spice;or pumpkin
> -pie spice*
> 1/4 ts Cayenne pepper
>
> Bring the vegetables, apples and water to a boil in a saucepan on
> high
> heat. Reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes, or until all the
> vegetables
> are tender. Add the seasonings and use a blender to process the
> mixture.
> Heat in the saucepan again on low heat until hot. Keeps 3-5 days
> refrigerated. *Original recipe by David Tinker, Vancouver chef
>
> SERVES: 6 SOURCE: _Vegan Delights_ by Jeanne Marie Martin posted by
> Anne
> MacLellan
>
> Note: I haven't tried this yet but it sounds great! I saw someone on
> tv use pumpkin seeds as a garnish on pumpkin soup. I think that would
> also work great for this squash soup. Since winter squash seeds are
> basically identical to pumpkin seeds just prepare them the same way.
> To roast the seeds wash them, dry them, coat them in a little olive
> oil, sprinkle with paprika or other spices, then bake them in the oven
> till they're crispy. I usually do this at 350 degrees farenheight.

nemo

Celery and Classic Method!! See? I told yer! )

John Manning > wrote in message
news:081120031340229581%jgmanning@mindsEXCESSpring .com...
> Nice recipes, thanks. Here's one I came up with the other night. It's
> also a good way to sneak beans into the diet of people who claim they
> don't like them. A PDF of the recipe is available at
>
> http://electronworks.com/recipes/Squ...room_Soup.html
>

> Summer Squash and Oyster Mushroom Soup
> --------------------------------------
>
> 1 Tbsp. olive oil
> 1 large onion, chopped
> 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
> 2 stalks celery, sliced
> 2 c. vegetable broth
> 1 tsp. dried basil
> 1 tsp. dried thyme
> pinch cayenne pepper
> 6-8 oz. oyster mushrooms, separated and left whole
> 2 lb. yellow squash, thickly sliced
>
> 2 c. soymilk
> 1 15oz. can beans, drained (use mild-flavored, soft beans such as
> pintos or great northern)
>
> 1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped (opt.)
> salt and pepper, to taste
>

> Sauté the onion, garlic and celery in the oil until the onion is soft,
> 5-8 minutes. Add the broth, seasonings, mushrooms and squash and bring
> to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
> In a blender, puree the soymilk and beans with two cups of the soup.
> Pour the puree back into the pot, add the optional parsley, and heat
> gently (do not boil!) until the soup is hot. Season to taste with salt
> and pepper.
>
> Serve with crusty bread or crostini.
>
> 4 servings
>
> Per serving: 270 calories; 13g protein; 6g fat; 39g carbohydrate; 0mg
> cholesterol
>
> Source: original recipe 1 Nov 2003
>
> --
> -John
> http://electronworks.com/recipes/

rick etter

"nemo" > wrote in message
> WARNING: If you're using dried kidney beans, always boil them vigorously

for
> at least 10 minutes before simmering, otherwise they're highly toxic.

People
> have died.

==========================
Wow there bucko!! I thought that maet was the only food that could kill us.
You really are too deliciously stupid for words...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Title: WINTER SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP
> > Categories: Soups, Vegetarian
> > Yield: 6 servings
> >
> > 2 c Butternut squash
> > -or buttercup squash
> > -peeled, seeded & chopped
> > 2 c Sweet potato; peeled &
> > -chopped
> > 3 md Apples; peeled, cored &
> > -chopped
> > -Spartan,McIntosh or similar
> > -cooking apple
> > 1 md Onion; chopped
> > 2 c -Water or just enough to
> > -cover apples & veggies
> > 1/2 ts Sea salt
> > 1/2 ts Chinese 5 spice;or pumpkin
> > -pie spice*
> > 1/4 ts Cayenne pepper
> >
> > Bring the vegetables, apples and water to a boil in a saucepan on
> > high
> > heat. Reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes, or until all the
> > vegetables
> > are tender. Add the seasonings and use a blender to process the
> > mixture.
> > Heat in the saucepan again on low heat until hot. Keeps 3-5 days
> > refrigerated. *Original recipe by David Tinker, Vancouver chef
> >
> > SERVES: 6 SOURCE: _Vegan Delights_ by Jeanne Marie Martin posted by
> > Anne
> > MacLellan
> >
> > Note: I haven't tried this yet but it sounds great! I saw someone on
> > tv use pumpkin seeds as a garnish on pumpkin soup. I think that would
> > also work great for this squash soup. Since winter squash seeds are
> > basically identical to pumpkin seeds just prepare them the same way.
> > To roast the seeds wash them, dry them, coat them in a little olive
> > oil, sprinkle with paprika or other spices, then bake them in the oven
> > till they're crispy. I usually do this at 350 degrees farenheight.

usual suspect

dumbo wrote:
> WARNING: If you're using dried kidney beans, always boil them vigorously for
> at least 10 minutes before simmering, otherwise they're highly toxic. People
> have died.

Can you actually name them, Chicken Little? I didn't think so.

Some persons have been hospitalized, but recovery is usually
rapid (3 - 4 h after onset of symptoms) and spontaneous.
http://www.foodreference.com/html/ar...poisoning.html

The toxin (lectin) affected people in the UK. It's never been a
widespread problem in the US. Maybe you lot should learn how to cook.

> And most canned stuff has had most of the vitamins boiled out of it during
> autoclaving. Fresh is better.

In terms of kidney beans, canned beans are "safer" as far as lectin is
concerned. As I noted above, though, it's not really something one
should worry about.

Some canned foods actually have superior nutritional yields, especially
for vitamins (like C) which oxidize easily. Many tomato products fit in
that category because the Vitamin C, lycopene, and other goodies are
concentrated. Vitamin C yield in frozen concentrated orange juice has
also been shown to be higher and last longer than "fresh" ready to drink
juice.

http://www.asu.edu/asunews/research/vitaminC.htm

<snip>

Rubystars

"nemo" > wrote in message >...
> WARNING: If you're using dried kidney beans, always boil them vigorously for
> at least 10 minutes before simmering, otherwise they're highly toxic. People
> have died.

I didn't know that! I usually use canned beans anyway but lately I've
been trying to cook some for myself. I might've eaten some kidney
beans in a 15 bean soup recently, but since I used the quick soak
method I boiled them for a little bit before I soaked them, that
could've made them safe. How many beans does someone have to eat
cooked improperly for them to be toxic?

> And most canned stuff has had most of the vitamins boiled out of it during
> autoclaving. Fresh is better.

Well that's probably true but at least they're convenient. I think
they still are better for you than greasy full-fat hamburgers. *L*
(The super lean meat probably isn't that fatty, but I know it still
has cholesterol, which plant foods don't).

> I find lots of onions and garlic essential too - fried in olive oil while
> the other veggies are simmering and then they're dumped in on top. Known as
> the "Classic Soup" method.

That sounds good. I love to use onions and garlic. Olive oil has
such a tasty flavor too.

> PS: The herb mix I use is tarragon, oregano and basil; a little chilli
> powder and a tsp of corriander seeds. And I always add chopped celery -
> gives it a nice tang. Try it.

Celery is great.

-Rubystars