MrFalafel

Default Chinnappam

Chinnappam

This is a small dry snack, almost like a savoury biscuit, that can be
served
at the beginning of a meal or as a snack.

400g rice flour
75g/3oz shallots, peeled
50g/2oz grated or desiccated coconut
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp black sesame seeds
oil for frying
salt

In a large dry frying pan or wok, toast the rice flour over medium
heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until the flour turns
golden. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Place the shallots, coconut and cumin seeds in a grinder or blender.
Add 225ml/8oz water and process the mixture for 2-3 until smooth and
combined.
Transfer the toasted rice flour to a large bowl and make a well in the
centre.
Add the coconut mixture and, using a wooden spoon, work the liquid
into the flour until you have a thick, bread like dough. Add more
water if necessary.

Take small amounts of the dough and shape them into balls the size of
a large marble. Using your palms, flatten them into small discs and
lay them out on a work surface. Continue until all the dough is used.

Heat some oil in a deep-fryer, wok or large, heavy saucepan (the oil
should be 1/2 inch or so deep). When it's hot, fry the chinnapam a few
at a time for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oil
and drain on kitchen paper.
Allow to cool before serving.
usual suspect

I've seen pics of some of the readers on this group. They need
healthier, low-fat recipes. Please stop posting high-fat, sugary
recipes. Your version of veganism is as unhealthy as the diets you abhor.

Michael Balarama

In that inhospitable climate-with no sun and always cold and drizzle-you
need a little sunshine in your food-
Michael
"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> I've seen pics of some of the readers on this group. They need
> healthier, low-fat recipes. Please stop posting high-fat, sugary
> recipes. Your version of veganism is as unhealthy as the diets you abhor.

usual suspect

Michael Balarama wrote:
> In that inhospitable climate-with no sun and always cold and drizzle-you
> need a little sunshine in your food-

Sunshine, yes. Fat and sugar, no. :-)

MrFalafel

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message >...
> In that inhospitable climate-with no sun and always cold and drizzle-you
> need a little sunshine in your food-
> Michael

Perhaps *someone* needs to start a new newsgroup called alt.whiney.health.freaks

usual suspect

some American ex-pat poseur wrote:
> Perhaps *someone* needs to start a new newsgroup called alt.whiney.health.freaks

Perhaps *someone* needs to learn to spell WHINY. Then again, you've
certainly mastered the British custom of using redundant letters in words.

tuppy

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
.. .
> some American ex-pat poseur wrote:
> > Perhaps *someone* needs to start a new newsgroup called

alt.whiney.health.freaks

> Perhaps *someone* needs to learn to spell WHINY. Then again, you've
> certainly mastered the British custom of using redundant letters in words.

Thanks mom. A sesquipedalian you are not.