Pete Knox

Default Milks, etc other than soy?

2 part question here all:

I do like soy milk and soy cheeses, and of course, edamame. I usually eat a
few serving or so of each a day (maybe 1 or 2 slices cheese, edamame in my
mixed vegetables at least 1x a day, and maybe 2 glasses of soy milk). I
have seen recent reports (as I'm sure you have) about the dangers of eating
"too much soy." I'm really not sure what constitutes "too much."

Ques 1: I wonder if what I eat is too much? (I'm averaging between like 3
and 5 servings a day)

I do eat other beans pretty regularly too, but I'm thinking of trying some
alternative milks and cheeses. I've seen rice cheese, and almond cheese
(what's in VeganRella - is it soy?). I figure if I can rotate them in every
once in a while, that would be good, maybe 1 serv soy cheese, 1 serv
alt-cheese. As for the milks, there are like a million diff kinds out
here - oat, rice, almond, and I'm sure some I've missed. I've tried all of
them, and they're all pretty good (I really like the almond - very yummy).

Ques 2: Of the alt-milks out there, which do you think would be best for
someone trying to watch their weight (i.e. lower calories)?

Pete Knox

usual suspect

Pete Knox wrote:
> 2 part question here all:
>
> I do like soy milk and soy cheeses, and of course, edamame. I usually eat a
> few serving or so of each a day (maybe 1 or 2 slices cheese, edamame in my
> mixed vegetables at least 1x a day, and maybe 2 glasses of soy milk). I
> have seen recent reports (as I'm sure you have) about the dangers of eating
> "too much soy." I'm really not sure what constitutes "too much."
>
> Ques 1: I wonder if what I eat is too much? (I'm averaging between like 3
> and 5 servings a day)

Soy has phytoestrogens. Estrogens are feminizing. Studies have shown
that overconsumption of soy can lead to feminizing of males. I'll leave
you to do your own study, but consider the "high protein vegan" thread
from a few days ago, in which I left some of the following links:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satter6.htm
http://www.cheapbodybuildingsuppleme...estrogen.shtml
http://www.t-mag.com/articles/185soy.html

A little soy is probably beneficial, but you many not want your
testicles shrinking, etc. Too much of even good things is not good.

> I do eat other beans pretty regularly too, but I'm thinking of trying some
> alternative milks and cheeses. I've seen rice cheese, and almond cheese
> (what's in VeganRella - is it soy?). I figure if I can rotate them in every
> once in a while, that would be good, maybe 1 serv soy cheese, 1 serv
> alt-cheese. As for the milks, there are like a million diff kinds out
> here - oat, rice, almond, and I'm sure some I've missed. I've tried all of
> them, and they're all pretty good (I really like the almond - very yummy).
>
> Ques 2: Of the alt-milks out there, which do you think would be best for
> someone trying to watch their weight (i.e. lower calories)?

Rice milk is pretty much just a sweet-starchy water. Some of the
nutmilks taste quite nice (not "just like" milk, naturally) but also
tend to be higher in fat. Lower calories? Try more water.

Making soy and other milks by machine t8769 Vegetarian cooking 6 23-02-2007 12:17 PM
Unusual milks in Indian Tea Ozzy Tea 10 30-06-2005 12:52 PM
why so few non-dairy milks that taste like milk? magnulus Vegan 12 07-11-2004 04:01 PM