Rubystars

Default Jicama

Jicama is the new food I've been having fun with lately. It's a root
vegetable, and is sometimes referred to as the "mexican potato."

It has the texture of an an apple and is slightly sweet (some more
than others). It has a nice flavor to it.

I just peel off the skin and remove any bruised areas, then slice up
the crispy white flesh and eat it.

You can cook/steam it but it stays crispy even if you do.

It's good for fruit salads, stir fries (replaces water chestnuts) and
is also good just to squeeze some lemon or lime juice on and a dash of
chili powder.

I made a fruit salad the other day and I thought it turned out good so
I'm going to share the recipe:

2 cans mandarin orange slices (drained)
2 mangoes (cut into pieces)
3-5 kiwi (peeled and sliced)
1 can crushed pineapple
1 bunch red seedless grapes (cut each grape in half so the juices can
mix, and use as many grapes as you think look about right)
1 jicama, cubed
1 lime (juice and zest)

After you mix all this together in a large bowl, let it sit in the
refrigerator for a while (a few hours, or overnight) to chill and so
the flavors mix. You can drain off the extra juice at the bottom for a
delicious drink. I was thinking the juice could probably be combined
with other stuff to make a sort of fruity "dressing" but I haven't
developed a recipe for that yet. Maybe whisking it into some cool whip
would be tasty (I don't know if there's a vegan version of cool whip).

My family said this recipe tasted good so I thought I'd share it.

One reason its important to let the salad chill for a while is that
the jicama will absorb the fruity flavors around it and taste a lot
better than it would otherwise. The jicama adds a nice crunch to the
recipe.

-Rubystars

Prosciutto with.... jícama? Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 3 09-05-2010 11:55 PM
How to use the jicama Dan S. General Cooking 18 15-02-2009 04:47 PM
jicama Pete Mexican Cooking 3 22-12-2004 06:29 AM
Jicama Read Recipes (moderated) 0 20-12-2004 09:41 PM
Jicama Read Recipes (moderated) 0 02-07-2004 02:21 AM